Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-09-2017, 01:27 PM #1
jescott17

Spyder E99 Issue

Hello everyone! I'm new to the world of PB but can say that I am addicted to the sport. With that said, I purchased a Spyder E99 a few weeks ago. The kid I bought it from had a piece of a glass bottle and a bandaid under the grip to keep the wires pressed down (assuming it had a bad wire connection).

I took those out and put in a 9V duracell to try it out. It came on and the gun fired with no problem. However, since then, it no longer comes on. I've checked the board and battery and I'm getting 9.58v. I've also replaced both capacitors under the assumption that they were bad since I don't have a meter that can test for capacitance. Still won't come on.

I've tested all wires for continuity which turned out good. So I started checking the board and solder points for continuity (prior to the capacitor replacement) and have found that I am not getting continuity on one leg of the small 100uf capacitor that was replaced (I replaced it with the same capacitor). I will update with pics later this evening of what I am talking about (still have some clean up and trimming to do on the capacitors and the wires that had to be resoldered so please excuse the mess). Perhaps this is the culprit?

Has anyone else experienced something similar to my situation and found out what their problem was? Does anyone know of the transistors or any other do-dad (not 100% on vernacular for electronic boards ) going out and how to diagnose?

I know there are better options for markers out there (btw, I also have 2 Smartparts Ion markers that I bought with the Spyder) to choose from, however, I enjoy tinkering/fixing things and hate to say "I give up." OR does anyone have an old Spyder board laying around that they would want to sell me?

Any help would be appreciated!
jescott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2017, 05:14 PM #2
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
Caps are common enough to need replacing on an older board. Sounds like all the hackery before you hasn't helped, i'd finish up and see if you can't get the cap on right first.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM #3
jescott17

Thanks Ferret15 for your feedback. Turns out that the caps weren't the problem after all but a small transistor had broke legs that weren't making contact. Diagnosing the transistor was the last thing since I knew I was getting power to the board and I replaced the caps.

This helped me identify how to test the transistor:

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Transistor

Anyone can do this with a multimeter.

The bottle cap under the grip pressing down pushed on the transistor and would make contact. I imagine that the guy I got it from abused his stuff (which I can verify by looking at the Ions and the rest of the equipment that I got) and lucked out by using something to press down on the board.

Here is the transistor #: 178L05NA

After researching online I found a website where you can input a transistor's number to verify if that transistor was ever made (the numbers are very tiny and sometimes are rubbed off which leads to guess work). This just verified that I had the correct number off the transistor.

I input that number into el google and ebay and found an equivalent transistor. The rest is history. I will upload pics once I get a little more time. I've been busy building a dirtbike lately
jescott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 AM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescott17 View Post

I input that number into el google and ebay and found an equivalent transistor. The rest is history. I will upload pics once I get a little more time. I've been busy building a dirtbike lately
This has got to be a first for someone to not only find it and fix, but document too! Can't wait to see some of the repairs.