Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM #1
TargetIndy
Electrifying
 
TargetIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Any Homebrewers Out There?

Surely I'm not the only one who brews their own beer. I picked up the hobby about two years ago. Right now I have an ale on tap and two different beers in fermentation.
__________________
SwapMyTank.com
Swap your used air tank for a brand new Ninja tank!

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM #2
The Executioner
FUKENGRUVEN
 
The Executioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Dirty 330
 has been a member for 10 years
I've always wanted to do this, because I'm a fan of microbrewed beers and small batches. I've always wanted a vanilla-ish hefeweizen. So what exactly is involved/need to do a small batch beer, like maybe 2-3 six packs worth?
__________________
ST:A-Holes
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem

Last edited by The Executioner : 12-03-2008 at 08:23 PM.
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 PM #3
impdaddy
 
 
impdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
impdaddy plays in the PSP
impdaddy plays in the APPA D4 division
we do wine (not grape)tried beer and it was no bueno
impdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM #4
Beenard
?
 
Beenard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
I've brewed about 5 batches over the past summer. A Cerveza style, Canadian Blonde, and an IPA.
__________________
Do what you want cause a Pirate is free, You are a Pirate!
Beenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:47 PM #5
sp1365
 
 
sp1365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: U. of Dayton
 has been a member for 10 years
I'm looking at starting up next summer after my 21st. My dad started a couple of years ago and enjoys it. He has done about 23ish brews. Came home over Thanksgiving to a nice Ale version of Boston Lager and a batch of Cherry Stout awaits my return for Xmas.
__________________
Just when you think you are out, you get dragged right back in.
sp1365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 AM #6
The Executioner
FUKENGRUVEN
 
The Executioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Dirty 330
 has been a member for 10 years
See I know that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is good, but I can only drink like one bottle before I get sick of it because it's so sweet and cherry. So I'd imagine a stout would be very filling.
__________________
ST:A-Holes
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 AM #7
ChuckSplat
WE ARE...... PENN STATE!!
 
ChuckSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
I make a damn good pale ale, still working on my dunkelweizen recipe (its still drinkable), and right now I have my primaries filled with 10 g of a high gravity winter ale, and the secondaries with 5 gallons of the pale ale, and 5 gallons of an experimental honey/chili/chocolate porter (I got the idea from DFH theobroma)

Edit: I go to www.homebrewtalk.com Its pretty much the PBN of homebrew forums.
__________________
__________________________
"Originally posted by sdwinder9x: This thread is full of more scrubbery than Matrix's inbox."
ChuckSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM #8
AngryBarrel
Unknown
 
AngryBarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles
My dads friend used to brew from home, now he opened up a microbrewery in New Zeleand.
__________________
Signature!
AngryBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM #9
ionshooter93
✈ ✈ ✈
 
ionshooter93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
ionshooter93 is a Paintball photographer
Home Brew taste so good.
__________________
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
ionshooter93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 PM #10
TargetIndy
Electrifying
 
TargetIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Executioner View Post
I've always wanted to do this, because I'm a fan of microbrewed beers and small batches. I've always wanted a vanilla-ish hefeweizen. So what exactly is involved/need to do a small batch beer, like maybe 2-3 six packs worth?
The Mr. Beer kits are probably the cheapest way to get into it, though I've never tried them so I can't vouch whether they're any good or not.

You can get a pretty decent starter kit for ~$100. Bare bones, you need a large pot to boil the ingredients, a fermenting pail, an airlock, and the equipment to bottle the beer. This is the kit I started with. The only other thing I had to purchase was a brewing pot. For bottles, you can either purchase some, or recycle beer bottles. If you recycle the bottles, make sure they're NOT the screw tops.

If you have the money to spare, consider kegging your beer, rather than bottling it. It takes a lot less work and you can force-carbonate the beer. I switched over to kegging after bottling my first batch.

My home brewery has grown to enough equipment to have three different beers kegged and up to four more in various stages of the fermenting process. I haven't gotten close to brewing that much beer at one time. Right now I have 15 gallons of beer (approx. 6 cases) either fermenting or sitting in the kegorator.

My kegorator is nothing more than an old fridge with a couple of beer taps sticking out the front of it. My wife's cool enough to let me keep the fridge in a corner of the kitchen.
__________________
SwapMyTank.com
Swap your used air tank for a brand new Ninja tank!

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM #11
DayoftheGreek
I hate you
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
I have always wanted to try this. That Mr. Beer thing looks like a pretty cool and cheap way to start.

I may be doing some research over the next 6 months.
__________________
FEEDBACK: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=665897

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM #12
robfromabove
...taking over the world
 
robfromabove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My Uncle homebrews quite a bit. If I had the time, I would probably start doing it myself as well...
robfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM #13
travis2k2rf
 
 
travis2k2rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NC/VA/??
travis2k2rf is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I've recently gotten interested in it, but I just don't have the time to get started, nor will I any time in the near future.
__________________
FEEDBACK:
OLD
NEW

travis2k2rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 AM #14
ChuckSplat
WE ARE...... PENN STATE!!
 
ChuckSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
The Mr. Beer kits are probably the cheapest way to get into it, though I've never tried them so I can't vouch whether they're any good or not.

You can get a pretty decent starter kit for ~$100. Bare bones, you need a large pot to boil the ingredients, a fermenting pail, an airlock, and the equipment to bottle the beer. This is the kit I started with. The only other thing I had to purchase was a brewing pot. For bottles, you can either purchase some, or recycle beer bottles. If you recycle the bottles, make sure they're NOT the screw tops.

If you have the money to spare, consider kegging your beer, rather than bottling it. It takes a lot less work and you can force-carbonate the beer. I switched over to kegging after bottling my first batch.

My home brewery has grown to enough equipment to have three different beers kegged and up to four more in various stages of the fermenting process. I haven't gotten close to brewing that much beer at one time. Right now I have 15 gallons of beer (approx. 6 cases) either fermenting or sitting in the kegorator.

My kegorator is nothing more than an old fridge with a couple of beer taps sticking out the front of it. My wife's cool enough to let me keep the fridge in a corner of the kitchen.
Mr Beer is not a good starter, if you are serious about home brewing, I suggest starting with 5 gallon batches. with a kit with buckets like the first kit on this page.
http://northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html
Its definitely better to start out this way than waste your money on a mr beer, thats 40$ that could go into a good beer kit.
__________________
__________________________
"Originally posted by sdwinder9x: This thread is full of more scrubbery than Matrix's inbox."
ChuckSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 AM #15
edudcixlsyd
ya boi
 
edudcixlsyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TX
My dad and I brew from our garage.
__________________
you can't carry the load, you can't handle the weight
not like them boys up out that Lone Star State so get it straight
edudcixlsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 AM #16
sp1365
 
 
sp1365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: U. of Dayton
 has been a member for 10 years
For those of you that Keg. Do you think it is worth it to save the money and go with that to start or eventually move into kegging after bottling for a while. My dad bottles all of his, but considering my housing situation for next year kegging seems to be the better option.
__________________
Just when you think you are out, you get dragged right back in.
sp1365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM #17
TargetIndy
Electrifying
 
TargetIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1365 View Post
For those of you that Keg. Do you think it is worth it to save the money and go with that to start or eventually move into kegging after bottling for a while. My dad bottles all of his, but considering my housing situation for next year kegging seems to be the better option.
In my opinion, kegging is a lot easier than bottling. With bottling, you have to prep the priming sugar, sanitize the caps and bottles, and then fill them individually. After that, you have to wait a week for the yeast to process the priming sugar and carbonate the beer. Kegging a beer takes me less than an hour, whereas bottling can take 2-3 hours.

With kegging, you need only to sanitize the keg and can force-carbonate the beer, meaning your beer is ready to drink 1-2 weeks sooner. It also takes a lot less time to do and you don't have to mess with cleaning/storing beer bottles after using them.

Fortunately, there isn't much of a need for specialized equipment when it comes to bottling. It's just as simple as getting a racking cane and capper.
__________________
SwapMyTank.com
Swap your used air tank for a brand new Ninja tank!

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM #18
ChuckSplat
WE ARE...... PENN STATE!!
 
ChuckSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Kegging is definitely worth it. I can sanitize, rack a full keg and start the carbonation process in less than an hour.
__________________
__________________________
"Originally posted by sdwinder9x: This thread is full of more scrubbery than Matrix's inbox."
ChuckSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM #19
supabro42
 
 
supabro42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
My wife's cool enough to let me keep the fridge in a corner of the kitchen.
hell itself will freeze over when i allow a woman to limit my household actions. of course....the kitchen is her domain....but its still under YOUR roof.
__________________
ST:Fitness 5/4/09

spartan58 got worked
- have you asked your mom for me yet?
supabro42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:10 PM #20
TargetIndy
Electrifying
 
TargetIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by supabro42 View Post
hell itself will freeze over when i allow a woman to limit my household actions. of course....the kitchen is her domain....but its still under YOUR roof.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're not married.

In my situation, it's not my roof. We put the house in her name when I incorporated my first business.
__________________
SwapMyTank.com
Swap your used air tank for a brand new Ninja tank!

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 PM #21
supabro42
 
 
supabro42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're not married.

In my situation, it's not my roof. We put the house in her name when I incorporated my first business.
OMG YOU PUT THE HOUSE IN HER NAME!!!!....

and you guessed right. im far from it
__________________
ST:Fitness 5/4/09

spartan58 got worked
- have you asked your mom for me yet?
supabro42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump