Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM #1
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
OH - SplatterPark Discussion

This thread was automatically created for discussion about SplatterPark. For more information about this field, or to find other fields near you, visit the SplatterPark listing in the PbNation Field & Store section.
SYSTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM #2
backinaction

Just played this past Sunday with 4 others (we all had our own equipment, ions, minis, vibes, etc.). We were just walk-ons interested in some fun rec ball. We had a blast. Refs provided quick turn-around on games and we moved from field to field often. Free lunch (2 hot dogs, chips and water) and a case of paint and 2 fills (though it might as well be free fills as they never asked for the fill tickets) for $50 ($40 for members). We probably played 12-14 games. Had our group had less downtime between games I'm sure we could have played more. Often the ref's were pushing us to go out again, but we were still resting, refills, etc. I loved that. Nothing worst than fields that have refs that don't push the players onto the field resulting in excessive down time.

My only real complaint is the field paint is way too hard/tick shelled. As it bounces way too often. It shoots great, but it doesn't break. I, and many others, at the field noticed this. I could take a ball throw it hard at the top of a staging area table (knee high table) and the ball would bounce up, hit the ceiling of the shelter (12-14' off the ground) and land without breaking. I've been told that Wrek Elite (brand name of the field paint) is just a private label version of RP Premium. I haven't used RP Premium in some time, so I'm not if RPP has the same issues.

Splatter park is primarily a private group type field (that's where the money is in this sport). There were easily 200+ players at the field on Sunday, probably 80% of those were in private groups of various sizes. Each with their own pavilion and ref(s). The remaining 15-30 (varied throughout the day) walk-ons played on other fields in one group. Though at times we did mix in with small private groups (if invited by them, I guess). I'm told there are far more walk-ons on Saturday than Sunday.

We played different games, elimination, respawn (touch your base and you are back in, timed center-flag game), center flag, attack/defend time limit, medic/rescue, etc. The only game variation I would avoid is zombie. 2-3 players start as Zombies and if they hit you, you become a zombie (after returning to their base). The only way to kill a zombie is a head shot. Which is just about impossible unless you bull rush a zombie with 2-3 players and light him up very aggressively. After ~10 mins on the field I realized the game was down right silly, so I walked off.

We played on all types of fields, air ball (2-4 games), mound field (like the old Pittsburgh NPPL fields), cargo container field (that was fun, but it took some time to really understand how to play on the field) and 2-4 different woodsball fields. They also have a pipe-ball field, but we never played on it.

I had to drive my nephew back to a friends after the day and he wouldn't stop talking the entire 60 min drive. He's probably still talking about it now.
backinaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 AM #3
tr3b0r
Gone 'til 2k11

I'm glad you had a good time out there yesterday. I was only there for a few games but the Open Play Advanced had quite the good crowd.

It was a pleasure bum-rushing the flag in snake pit or eliminating 6 of 7 opposing players just to get "blown up".

While I agree about Wrek Elite, it's mainly designed to used in Tippmanns with high operating pressure. Also, my teammates and I cut apart several paintballs and Wrek Elite was most similar to Diablo Ramp. The Wrek shell seemed a bit more elastic but thickness was very comparable.
tr3b0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM #4
backinaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr3b0r View Post
While I agree about Wrek Elite, it's mainly designed to used in Tippmanns with high operating pressure.
Yeah, I figured that's why they use stuff with a thicker shell.
Quote:
Also, my teammates and I cut apart several paintballs and Wrek Elite was most similar to Diablo Ramp.
It was one of the sales folks at Columbus store that told me it was just private label RP Premium. I had similar problem with the store version (different shell color), but assumed it wasn't as "fresh" as the field version would be (higher turnover at the field). Field vs Store didn't make a differences as the behavior was identical.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:23 PM #5
Splatterpark
#1 destination in the USA

Splatterpark is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Splatterpark is an Ultimate field/store owner
Splatterpark posts videos on PbNation
Thank you for the kind words.
As far as paint....we have a premium ball.
Check the patent#'s on containers and you will see that it is truly RP.
Interesting disection notes tr3b0r!
We would rather have good performance in any gun than a brittle shell that would be a good reason to use a squeegee for the 98% of people that use recreational style guns.
Even after the huge quality difference of 20+ years of paintballing....#1 complaint is "this paint sucks".
Thanks again for the kind words about your experience here.
Splatterpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM #6
backinaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterpark View Post
Even after the huge quality difference of 20+ years of paintballing....#1 complaint is "this paint sucks".
Weird, I always thought it was "the refs sucks".... I thought "the paint sucks" would be #2 or #3.

BTW, the refs didn't suck on our visit. Though in a rec game, you rarely need a "good ref" unless you get a bunch of a-holes on the field. I didn't see any of the later, so I don't think our ref was fully tested. Maybe on our next visit, if we are unlucky...

I didn't mention this above, because it was minor thing I didn't think need to be mentioned, but I'll bring it up now for no real reason...

We did have one private group that wanted us walk-ons to play with them for one game. After talking to other players on my team after the game was over, it certainly seemed like 2-3 of their players re-inserted themselves after being called out. I don't see how any ref (or refs) could have helped with that scenario given the field size and terrain unless they happened to witness all parts of that event (initial elimination, dead players walking off field along tape line that bordered two fields, dead players start playing again).
Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 PM #7
Splatterpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinaction View Post
I didn't mention this above, because it was minor thing I didn't think need to be mentioned, but I'll bring it up now for no real reason...

We did have one private group that wanted us walk-ons to play with them for one game. After talking to other players on my team after the game was over, it certainly seemed like 2-3 of their players re-inserted themselves after being called out. I don't see how any ref (or refs) could have helped with that scenario given the field size and terrain unless they happened to witness all parts of that event (initial elimination, dead players walking off field along tape line that bordered two fields, dead players start playing again).
Now this is awesome feedback. I am so glad to see this. I had to reprimand a ref for this on the same day because he asked if his group could join open play for a game or two. Obviously he was trying to make the party happy, but knows better...so either he did it anyways or another ref made a "not so good" decision and did something they are not supposed to do.
Please pm me the ref or what he looked like or even what the private party looked like.

This is a perfect scenario of why you do not mix first timers with regular paintballers.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM #8
backinaction

Quote:
This is a perfect scenario of why you do not mix first timers with regular paintballers.
While it was my first time at splatterpark, it is by no means my first time playing paintball. In fact, I'm not sure there was a single first-timer in the walk-on group that day. And the private group was by no means first timers either. They all had matching outfits on.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM #9
Splatterpark

where the outfits yellow based or red/blue based?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 PM #10
backinaction

Quote:
where the outfits yellow based or red/blue based?
Now, now. You aren't asking me to rat someone out are you...
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM #11
Splatterpark

just want you to confirm what I think I am thinking...I think.

valid info that is rational improves our ability to provide fair games.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM #12
p8ntballer9906

p8ntballer9906 plays in the PSP
p8ntballer9906 plays in the APPA beginner division
are you still going to do the woodsball tournament in august?
p8ntballer9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM #13
philvsphil

anything going on this weekend?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM #14
backinaction

Quote:
As far as paint....we have a premium ball.
Check the patent#'s on containers and you will see that it is truly RP.
We would rather have good performance in any gun than a brittle shell that would be a good reason to use a squeegee for the 98% of people that use recreational style guns.
You guys could offer an "upgraded" paint for $10 per case. I'm sure you have enough buying power with RP you could get the same fill but with a different shell (Marbleizer/Evil). I know I would have gladly paid an extra $10 for a thinner shelled paint.

Just a thought...
Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 AM #15
Splatterpark

8 man jam is on.

lots and lots and lots of paintball this weekend. a team is having try outs this Saturday....ummm, today, its 5:30am now....

No diplomatic answer to the thinner shell.....we have tried it in the past. To satisfy 2% of the customer base that wants a thinner shell just doesn't work out.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 AM #16
Boatacious

Is anything special going on sunday? Im coming with about 4 or 5 first timers just making sure we'll get some games..
Boatacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 AM #17
NH Kicker89

NH Kicker89 plays in the PSP
NH Kicker89 is an NCPA player
NH Kicker89 plays in the APPA D3 division
i like there tournaments (5 man jams) there fun to play, wish there were more of them, thats all i got to say lol

Akron #11
DeathToAll Clothing

G4H
NH Kicker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 AM #18
Splatterpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatacious View Post
Is anything special going on sunday? Im coming with about 4 or 5 first timers just making sure we'll get some games..
Paintball is going on...come on out. Open at 9...games from 10 - 4.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 AM #19
rob5954

By the way,
Tryouts went great!!!

- I would like to see more JAM tournaments as well. Maybe next year we can
make this happen if we ask "the man".............lol
rob5954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 PM #20
Boatacious

I know it is field paint only but are we allowed to bring a couple pods of paint that we already have?
Boatacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:18 PM #21
Splatterpark

4 things you cannot bring to SplatterPark: paintballs, grenades, alcohol, and bad attitudes!
:-)
ReplyRegional Ups