noonagon

Annual Supporting Member
noonagon is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
noonagon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
noonagon has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by patedirtysouth View Post
Say that im not into helping the younger generation but I hate to tell you paintball fields are closing because people buy paint from academy and dicks..

buy a half case for 35.. so that he field owner can keep the place open.. i can't bear to see another field close.
Why are fields closing? because the owners can't get enough profit margin on paint or are there less people coming/not buying paint because of prices?

I mean, charge the same field fee but sell paint (premium) at 50-55 a case. you still get the money that you would have for field fee and people can help support you because paint would be more affordable. I have a BL victory and a luxe myself, not an ego and yes I still complain about paint prices. Mainly because I know how much fields get their paint for.

Lets just agree to disagree, I know i've not been playing as long as most of you older folk but I have been playing for over 11 years now and I do remember paying 80-90-100 for a case. Then again we were using old spyders, automags and autocockers so we didnt shoot that much.

just my two cents I'm out
noonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 AM #171
ed275

^^+1 us older ballers remember (14+ years)
ed275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 AM #172
patedirtysouth

patedirtysouth plays in the PSP
patedirtysouth supports our troops
patedirtysouth is All In
I have debateably been playen paintball the 2nd longest on this thread and i will say that I have seen fields come and go... Most are because bad management but 2 fields have had great managers and buisnes plans and they just couldn't "get the buggy up the hill."

I litteray can no longer stand to see my friends not have places to play and practice. It's going to get to where you have to have a private field to practice for tournements. Stores and fields simply can't afford a new airball field every couple of years. why??? a 10 percent drop in players?

that hurts but what really hurts is when there is a 10 percent drop in players and 75% of the players that do show up buy there paint either online or at dicks..

in my whole paintbal carreer i've been about playing for as little $ as i can so that i can maximize field time. the penacle of this was when for a whole year i just could walk up to a trailor at a tournamentand a lady would ask you how many cases i wanted and what type and they were just like magic balls it didnt matter how many i shot cause they were free.

well nothing is free.... those sponsorship dollars were eventually taken away from most teams including pro teams who were put back on paint alotments.

now that $ is in the form of savings that is passed to the field owners in various ways.

if the industry changed its entire sponsorship structure 2 help the field owner shouldn't we the player get on board?

I try to lead by example I'm in law school. I litteraly have negative dollars to my name. but last time i played at dsg i payed 55 dollars for a case of low-mid grade paint. I sure would rather have payed 40 bucks.. but id rather a field owner take that 15 and me be able to go out there next time i want.

Money is tight for us all but what are you going to do with that extra 40 bucks a month you save by buying paint at dicks when there are no fields to play at?

Not dating WOMEN as hot as you wished you were? Change that tomorrow at http://positivechangeusa.com/persona...opment/dating/
patedirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM #173
noonagon

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
I have debateably been playen paintball the 2nd longest on this thread and i will say that I have seen fields come and go... Most are because bad management but 2 fields have had great managers and buisnes plans and they just couldn't "get the buggy up the hill."

GREAT people and safety at dothan survival games. I would go as far as to say the best run field i've played ever, not arguing there

I litteray can no longer stand to see my friends not have places to play and practice. It's going to get to where you have to have a private field to practice for tournements. Stores and fields simply can't afford a new airball field every couple of years. why??? a 10 percent drop in players?

Like we did back in the day, there we no field where i was from so we made our own, I dont want to but if i have to i will

that hurts but what really hurts is when there is a 10 percent drop in players and 75% of the players that do show up buy there paint either online or at dicks..
easy way to solve that, $5 off field fee if you buy their paint and sell paint at $50 a case for heat/stinger and $55-60 for premium.

in my whole paintbal carreer i've been about playing for as little $ as i can so that i can maximize field time. the penacle of this was when for a whole year i just could walk up to a trailor at a tournamentand a lady would ask you how many cases i wanted and what type and they were just like magic balls it didnt matter how many i shot cause they were free.

I haven't had that luxury yet but I have paid 140 a case and in Newfoundland where I am from, its still that way

well nothing is free.... those sponsorship dollars were eventually taken away from most teams including pro teams who were put back on paint alotments.

now that $ is in the form of savings that is passed to the field owners in various ways.

Like cheaper paint, fields get their paint in (most of it) for under $30 shipped or around there, so at 50 thats a 66% profit, not bad (not counting storage and all that junk that you have to have anyways

if the industry changed its entire sponsorship structure 2 help the field owner shouldn't we the player get on board?

Thats why i volunteer at my field to maintain it and keep it safe/running

I try to lead by example I'm in law school. I litteraly have negative dollars to my name. but last time i played at dsg i payed 55 dollars for a case of low-mid grade paint. I sure would rather have payed 40 bucks.. but id rather a field owner take that 15 and me be able to go out there next time i want.

Money is tight for us all but what are you going to do with that extra 40 bucks a month you save by buying paint at dicks when there are no fields to play at?

I agree to a point, its a lot more then $40 when I shoot 8 cases a month, more like $100 or so. Pays my cable and internet!

Basically I am just stating that he could sell more paint if the prices were slightly less thats all
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 AM #174
gok
Old Fart

so is there still a dixie reign team playing for dsg? keith if you are reading this, you are still my favorite squid.
old feedback
gok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM #175
HgBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gok View Post
so is there still a dixie reign team playing for dsg? keith if you are reading this, you are still my favorite squid.

What is this Dixie Reign you speak of?

APX Agro Basic / Pro / Fyre
Deep South Paintball
HgBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:17 PM #176
gok
Old Fart

not sure if you are serious or not. Back in the day when EV and Watson ran DSG, they had a team called Dixie Reign. I was their tape player/front.
old feedback
Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 PM #177
JCKid

JCKid plays in the PSP
JCKid plays in the MiLP
JCKid is All In
JCKid is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgBlues View Post
What is this Dixie Reign you speak of?
LOL! "old skool" baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gok View Post
not sure if you are serious or not. Back in the day when EV and Watson ran DSG, they had a team called Dixie Reign. I was their tape player/front.
No he wasn't serious! He and I both spent time with Dixie Reign. My understanding is that the "Dixie Reign" name was retired, they are now "RK'd Army".

EMPIRE All In

Boogie Fan #15

UK Reffs Fan Forever
JCKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM #178
gok
Old Fart

I still have one of the original renegade jerseys in the closet and an old polaroid when we played a mspa tournament in birmingham. This is back in the day when mags and cockers were the only 2 choices for tournament guns. Me, Ken Thompson and my brother were all cocker guys and were recruited from panama city.
old feedback
Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM #179
patedirtysouth

patedirtysouth is All In
I still have a dixie reign all black t-shirt..

Not dating WOMEN as hot as you wished you were? Change that tomorrow at http://positivechangeusa.com/persona...opment/dating/
Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 AM #180
Dothan Survival

Expensive Paint ?

I have heard this discussion many times before. Hard truth of the world is it doesn't matter what the field you play at gets it's paint for... if that field is operating as a BUSINESS they have expenses to pay and if they want to stay in business they must be profitable. (See Business 101 @ your local college)

You as the player must decide if the field you want to play at is offering enough value for you to spend your money there. As a field owner i'm no differnt than any one eles when it comes to looking for the best value for my money. Most of us would love to see $1 gallon gas again but i think those days are gone and with 7 million newly unemployed people they will not sell me on the "increase in driving" crap to justify the rising prices.

I take alot of pride in telling a birthday group that the entry fee they are paying is the same we charged 18 yrs ago. We've had it good in this sport as some of you have noticed....like paint that's less than half the price it used to be at KMART !! Yes we shoot more now cause our guns are faster...but didn't we ask for that with our spending habits?? We had to have the newest, fastest marker on the market ....and let the arms race begin.

One of the things i love about this sport is there is a nich for every type of player. If you want to play rec-ball with a pump gun or play CFOA division 2 some body is looking for you to join in. Maybe my view is alittle out of touch with the mind set of the newer players but after you spent the amount of time i have in this industry you find yourself more on the business side of things.

Our goal at DSG is to provide you the player the best time playing that we possibly can. You may incur some expense doing so but we try and keep it as cheap as we can. Players with their own equipment can bring their own paint and we "don't" charge extra for that privilege, but if you are using our gear we require that you use our paint.

In the end it's the player who matters most in the sport and guys i'm here to tell ya...we are playing in a great period right now. We've got better gear and better selection and cheaper prices than ever before. Don't waste too much of your time on the forums talking paintball ..get your gear and go enjoy yourself. Be Safe ..Have FUN !!
kd

Last edited by Dothan Survival : 04-01-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Dothan Survival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 PM #181
JCKid

JCKid plays in the PSP
JCKid plays in the MiLP
JCKid is All In
JCKid is All In
Well spoken KD!

"It's ALL about the Ballin"

EMPIRE All In

Boogie Fan #15

UK Reffs Fan Forever
JCKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 AM #182
noonagon

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothan Survival View Post
I have heard this discussion many times before. Hard truth of the world is it doesn't matter what the field you play at gets it's paint for... if that field is operating as a BUSINESS they have expenses to pay and if they want to stay in business they must be profitable. (See Business 101 @ your local college)

You as the player must decide if the field you want to play at is offering enough value for you to spend your money there. As a field owner i'm no differnt than any one eles when it comes to looking for the best value for my money. Most of us would love to see $1 gallon gas again but i think those days are gone and with 7 million newly unemployed people they will not sell me on the "increase in driving" crap to justify the rising prices.

I take alot of pride in telling a birthday group that the entry fee they are paying is the same we charged 18 yrs ago. We've had it good in this sport as some of you have noticed....like paint that's less than half the price it used to be at KMART !! Yes we shoot more now cause our guns are faster...but didn't we ask for that with our spending habits?? We had to have the newest, fastest marker on the market ....and let the arms race begin.

One of the things i love about this sport is there is a nich for every type of player. If you want to play rec-ball with a pump gun or play CFOA division 2 some body is looking for you to join in. Maybe my view is alittle out of touch with the mind set of the newer players but after you spent the amount of time i have in this industry you find yourself more on the business side of things.

Our goal at DSG is to provide you the player the best time playing that we possibly can. You may incur some expense doing so but we try and keep it as cheap as we can. Players with their own equipment can bring their own paint and we "don't" charge extra for that privilege, but if you are using our gear we require that you use our paint.

In the end it's the player who matters most in the sport and guys i'm here to tell ya...we are playing in a great period right now. We've got better gear and better selection and cheaper prices than ever before. Don't waste too much of your time on the forums talking paintball ..get your gear and go enjoy yourself. Be Safe ..Have FUN !!
kd
I understand the business part of it and I understand what you are saying. I know it needs to be more profitable for the owner. Its called risk management, if you want to stay safe and sell cases at 60 a case you know who will buy and in what amount. If you lower it to 50 a case and say field paint only maybe you will make a heck of a lot more then selling at 60 a case. I have not run a field so I will not try to tell you i know what I am talking about. I just know what I would do. I would rather pay 25 for a field fee and 50 a case then pay 25 a field fee and buy paint at walmart. The latter is 10 or so less but you paint would be better.

Thats all i am trying to say
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 AM #183
patedirtysouth

patedirtysouth is All In
Good points keith.

I'll say this, I have played alot of Pball in my life.. seriously more than probably 90 percent of all people who consider themselves players ever will. I have probably played at nearly 50 fields, and I have been privy to the inner workings of around 10. Of those 10 fields about 3 are still in existence today.

Paintball field owners arent in paintball to get rich. If they were they picked the wrong sport. Its a buisness you have to love and put ur heart in to even have the chance to break even.

If you catch a little luck and work hard at it, youll stay afloat for 5-10 years. Other than that its rare for them to last. Alot of times its because of bad buisness. But lately fields aren't closing because of bad buisness, fields are closing because the $ isn't there from us the player.

Either we are playen x box at home cause its cheaper, buyen our paint online or at dicks, or simply not able to afford a day's play. Because of this fields are going under left and right.

Sure $ is tight but the $ you save aint worth not haven a field to play.. Trust me.. I lost my home field... And if the day comes when you see your equivalent to the paintball field of dreams basically become a big pile of blight you'll say "Man, I wish I could have done something".

Well you can pay full price for paint... tip your reffs at the end of the day, they work hard for next to nothing.. and don't over shoot or bunker at all in experienced players..

furthermore, if you want the sport to grow, when you play recreationaly be an ambasador for the sport.. Let a new kids use ur gun while you use theres.. (take ur hopper off though an put a revy on, it will save u moneyn hoppers, the kid from shootng 1/2 o his paint in 1 game and save a reff from taken a thick stream of paint or 2.) Every kid you do this for will be back to play at that field and tell all of his friends "hey i shot a pro's gun one game", guarenteed.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM #184
noonagon

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Good points keith.

I'll say this, I have played alot of Pball in my life.. seriously more than probably 90 percent of all people who consider themselves players ever will. I have probably played at nearly 50 fields, and I have been privy to the inner workings of around 10. Of those 10 fields about 3 are still in existence today.

Paintball field owners arent in paintball to get rich. If they were they picked the wrong sport. Its a buisness you have to love and put ur heart in to even have the chance to break even.

If you catch a little luck and work hard at it, youll stay afloat for 5-10 years. Other than that its rare for them to last. Alot of times its because of bad buisness. But lately fields aren't closing because of bad buisness, fields are closing because the $ isn't there from us the player.

Either we are playen x box at home cause its cheaper, buyen our paint online or at dicks, or simply not able to afford a day's play. Because of this fields are going under left and right.

Sure $ is tight but the $ you save aint worth not haven a field to play.. Trust me.. I lost my home field... And if the day comes when you see your equivalent to the paintball field of dreams basically become a big pile of blight you'll say "Man, I wish I could have done something".

Well you can pay full price for paint... tip your reffs at the end of the day, they work hard for next to nothing.. and don't over shoot or bunker at all in experienced players..

furthermore, if you want the sport to grow, when you play recreationaly be an ambasador for the sport.. Let a new kids use ur gun while you use theres.. (take ur hopper off though an put a revy on, it will save u moneyn hoppers, the kid from shootng 1/2 o his paint in 1 game and save a reff from taken a thick stream of paint or 2.) Every kid you do this for will be back to play at that field and tell all of his friends "hey i shot a pro's gun one game", guarenteed.
I agree with almost all your points. Heck, I ref for free at my field and built our 3 man sup air field with the help of another volunteer. I'm just saying that I would buy the paint there if it was reasonable thats all. make it FPO and charge 50 for heat, 60 for premium and 70 for marbs, I bet that you would sell a lot more paint then you do now.

I do consider myself an ambassador for the sport, Last weekend a small kid was getting lit up all the time by some older players so i set him up with my pod pack, full of paint and my luxe. he went out and shot 3 guys out that game and was having an awesome time.

Can't wait to come back to dothan, I will pay the price for paint anyways, but I bet more would If it was FPO and a little cheaper
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM #185
chipperzc
Etown Ballaz

chipperzc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonagon View Post
make it FPO and charge 50 for heat, 60 for premium and 70 for marbs,
its 55 for heat, 65 for premium, and 75 for marbs. 5$ difference really that bad
chipperzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM #186
sniperOZ
L.A. SWAT

sniperOZ supports Cereal Killerz 2
sniperOZ supports Bob Gurnsey
sniperOZ plays in the APPA D4 division
I am going to be down in the Dothan area next weekend the 22nd and 23rd...is the airball field going to be up and running???
sniperOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM #187
dsgballer

dsgballer supports Team VICIOUS
i was just coming to post something about airball next weekend!!!

lets get enough refs to put it up AND take it down!!
dsgballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:31 PM #188
sniperOZ
L.A. SWAT

sniperOZ supports Cereal Killerz 2
sniperOZ supports Bob Gurnsey
sniperOZ plays in the APPA D4 division
I can help setup/teardown...and I am sure some of the other Swat guys would too...
sniperOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM #189
dsgballer

dsgballer supports Team VICIOUS
thats awesome man..may i ask who this is(sniperoz)
dsgballer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups