PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 PM #211
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

No.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM #212
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Then what is the difference between saying that and saying you are a good player?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 PM #213
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

I already told you.

ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM #214
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
RP - we can agree on cheese at least.
absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Would you say that these two sentence deliver the same message:

You are a good person.

You are good at being a person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
No.
we seem to agree on more than cheese.

Laureate: the context is different as I mentioned as well. one seems to indicate being skilled at something or perhaps talented, or natural abilities. the other seems to indicate a sense of a moral perception.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM #215
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Maybe I am saying this wrong. What I am saying is that the word person (in context) denotes the morals, not the word good. That when we say person, speak of a person, when we describe them, we are describing their morals. Person is a representation of morals.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:19 PM #216
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Maybe I am saying this wrong. What I am saying is that the word person (in context) denotes the morals, not the word good. That when we say person, speak of a person, when we describe them, we are describing their morals. Person is a representation of morals.
that's good.

that's not what you posted though.
a good person may indicate a skill or talent, or moral, or ethical, or philosophical or other reference depending on context.
a person that is a good player, has context of skill/talent, etc, and not of moral or ethical reference.

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 PM #217
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
a good person may indicate a skill or talent, or moral, or ethical, or philosophical or other reference depending on context.

a person that is a good player, has context of skill/talent, etc, and not of moral or ethical reference.
I don't understand your first point. If someone was good at football and you were talking about them, in the context of their ability, you would not say they are a good person. You would say there are a good player.

Your second point proves my point. If you are using "good" to modify "player", then yes, you would be speaking in reference to their skill.

But when "good" modifies a person, it speaks of their morals. Meaning that "person" is a reflection of morals.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM #218
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
I don't understand your first point. If someone was good at football and you were talking about them, in the context of their ability, you would not say they are a good person. You would say there are a good player.
you seem to be assuming that I would speak or write like you would.
Quote:
...Your second point proves my point. If you are using "good" to modify "player", then yes, you would be speaking in reference to their skill.

But when "good" modifies a person, it speaks of their morals. Meaning that "person" is a reflection of morals.
no, but I suppose semantics. go see the what is your definition of religion thread for more of the same.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM #219
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
you seem to be assuming that I would speak or write like you would.

no, but I suppose semantics. go see the what is your definition of religion thread for more of the same.
First point. Ok, even if you said "he is a good person to have on your team" you are referring the skill that makes him a teammate. If you are referring to his skill.

If you say "he is a good person" it has to be inferred that you are speaking of their morals.

Good does not change meaning, context does.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:47 PM #220
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Sorry to jump in.
It seems the definition application first needs to be established, in order to understand your basis:

Quote:
Good:
  • having desirable or positive qualities especially those suitable for a thing specified; "good news from the hospital"; "a good report card"; "when ...
  • full: having the normally expected amount; "gives full measure"; "gives good measure"; "a good mile from here"
  • morally admirable
  • estimable: deserving of esteem and respect; "all respectable companies give guarantees"; "ruined the family's good name"
  • beneficial: promoting or enhancing well-being; "an arms limitation agreement beneficial to all countries"; "the beneficial effects of a temperate climate"; "the experience was good for her"
  • agreeable or pleasing; "we all had a good time"; "good manners"
  • of moral excellence; "a genuinely good person"; "a just cause"; "an upright and respectable man"
  • adept: having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude; "adept in handicrafts"; "an adept juggler"; "an expert job"; "a good mechanic"; "a practiced marksman"; "a proficient engineer"; "a lesser-known but no less skillful composer"; "the effect was achieved by skillful retouching"
  • thorough; "had a good workout"; "gave the house a good cleaning"
  • dear: with or in a close or intimate relationship; "a good friend"; "my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
  • dependable: financially sound; "a good investment"; "a secure investment"
  • most suitable or right for a particular purpose; "a good time to plant tomatoes"; "the right time to act"; "the time is ripe for great sociological changes"
  • resulting favorably; "it's a good thing that I wasn't there"; "it is good that you stayed"; "it is well that no one saw you"; "all's well that ends well"
  • effective: exerting force or influence; "the law is effective immediately"; "a warranty good for two years"; "the law is already in effect (or in force)"
  • capable of pleasing; "good looks"
  • appealing to the mind; "good music"; "a serious book"
  • in excellent physical condition; "good teeth"; "I still have one good leg"; "a sound mind in a sound body"
  • tending to promote physical well-being; beneficial to health; "beneficial effects of a balanced diet"; "a good night's sleep"; "the salutary influence of pure air"
  • benefit; "for your own good"; "what's the good of worrying?"
  • not forged; "a good dollar bill"
  • moral excellence or admirableness; "there is much good to be found in people"
  • well: (often used as a combining form) in a good or proper or satisfactory manner or to a high standard (`good' is a nonstandard dialectal variant for `well'); "the children behaved well"; "a task well done"; "the party went well"; "he slept well"; "a well-argued thesis"; "a well-seasoned dish ...
  • that which is pleasing or valuable or useful; "weigh the good against the bad"; "among the highest goods of all are happiness and self-realization"
  • not left to spoil; "the meat is still good"
  • thoroughly: completely and absolutely (`good' is sometimes used informally for `thoroughly'); "he was soundly defeated"; "we beat him good"
  • generally admired; "good taste"
  • commodity: articles of commerce
So, I'd say context and application change the definition.

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM #221
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Ok, this got convoluted. You need to stick with one example. When you start going from one to the next, the point gets lost and no one knows what you're talking about.

Quote:
Would you say that these two sentence deliver the same message:

You are a good person.

You are good at being a person.
Well, I WAS going to write something profound but then I read MM's post and, well, he's proved you profoundly wrong. /discussion

Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 PM #222
hsilman
Disgustipated

unless of course, you are using "person" to mean a specific set of qualities that allow us to identify something as human, in which case, exemplifying such qualities would make you a "good" person.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 PM #223
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

everyone, stfu and take it to a different thread..

my skin eyes hurt because there're more CK people in here than there are of us STA..
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM #224
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decption-Clay View Post
everyone, stfu and take it to a different thread..

my skin eyes hurt because there're more CK people in here than there are of us STA..

there's one ck person on this whole page.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM #225
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Actually there's two,yes I beat you.

Bow Down
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM #226
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Actually 3 (counting you IoNxRoCkEr since I haven't taken your name down yet. ).

Sorry DC, leaving now.

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM #227
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoNxRoCkEr View Post
Actually there's two,yes I beat you.

Bow Down
lol

your page must be a little longer than mine. I think it's only 30 posts here at work.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM #228
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

pics of last night.

Keep in mind I was in North East Houston..

the back of my car after about 30 min.

The Fire Chief's response vehicle. There was a lot more snow on the other side, I just couldn't get a good picture of it

Dusty the Snowhead

Dusty the 2 ball Snowman.

The little snowman for my car. That's Chris, one of the Duty firemen in the background.

my car after the first hr and a half I think, it was a magnet.

snow ball.. in Houston. Wtf?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM #229
Laureate
strength beyond strength

So if good means more than one thing, than why are people look for the "objective good"?

The way you guys are proving me wrong just pushes my point.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:24 PM #230
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

Dude, get the **** out of here. Take it to a different thread or I'm going to start reporting for trolling.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM #231
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decption-Clay View Post
Dude, get the **** out of here. Take it to a different thread or I'm going to start reporting for trolling.
report me. i am not too concerned about it.