PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM #1
littlebrother
Phone's ringing, Dude.

spending dad's money

first post... so don't flame me to death if I'm doing this wrong... been researching guns and kit for 3 days... I'm looking to hit the buy button on a Closer EXP, Dye Roto Loader, and a CP 48/4500 HP Tank.

I have roughly 72 hours of paintball learning/experience and I'm buying this setup for my son because he's been rocking at school and around the house. I started looking at 32degrees... the ION and went from there.

Anyway... I'm really hung up on the combination of the loader and the hp tank (should I get the high or low pressure tank). I really don't know no matter how much I read... I want a setup that will allow me to buy other than the most expensive tourney balls but still allow to get the most out of the gun and loader.

My kid is already obligating his first child for this rig... what else is a must have in this type kit... he says he'll be playing the snake if that means anything.

Thanks much...
littlebrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM #2
abr5
llama llama duck...

What is your son's paintball experience? To be honest, if he is new, a Closer might be a bit too much for him. It is a marker he will have to maintain from time to time, and if he is brand new to the sport that will be decently difficult for him.

High or low pressure doesn't really matter as the regulator on the marker itself will bring the pressure of the tank down to around 230 psi. I always go for HP tanks, but that's just because I play pump a lot and sometimes need a higher pressure tank for older snipers.

There is nothing else your son will need, however a larger bore barrel may be helpful. I believe the stock barrels are only .689. Nowadays paint is on the larger side, so a larger bored barrel is in order. I have always shot a 14" Dye Ultralite with a .692 bore. Go into the barrel forum and check out the stickies. There is a great thread where they test lots of different barrels.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM #3
littlebrother
Phone's ringing, Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr5 View Post
What is your son's paintball experience? To be honest, if he is new, a Closer might be a bit too much for him. It is a marker he will have to maintain from time to time, and if he is brand new to the sport that will be decently difficult for him.

High or low pressure doesn't really matter as the regulator on the marker itself will bring the pressure of the tank down to around 230 psi. I always go for HP tanks, but that's just because I play pump a lot and sometimes need a higher pressure tank for older snipers.

There is nothing else your son will need, however a larger bore barrel may be helpful. I believe the stock barrels are only .689. Nowadays paint is on the larger side, so a larger bored barrel is in order. I have always shot a 14" Dye Ultralite with a .692 bore. Go into the barrel forum and check out the stickies. There is a great thread where they test lots of different barrels.
His experience is limited, however it's one of those things I get to do vicariously through him so the maintenance will be on both of us. He's not driving yet so I'll be with him when he's out of town.

Thanks for the feedback on the HP tank and the barrel. I'll head over to the barrel forum now.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM #4
Chapman88

Chapman88 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Chapman88 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Chapman88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You cant really go wrong with any bob long gun, even if you run into problems, there is plenty of information and support on the nation and if all else fails, call up bob and they will move mountains to get your gun up and running again. As a first gun, a protege would be a better option (imo).
Just get him playing and no matter what he is shooting, good times will be had.
Impact Fan Club #121
Canadian Baller

Tsawwassen Gridlock Powered By
PBL TPG
Chapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:05 PM #5
littlebrother
Phone's ringing, Dude.

Ended up going with with the Prophecy over the Rotor.... so here it is:

Custom Products CP Air 48/4500 High Pressure Tank - Black
Bob Long Closer EXP Paintball Gun - Dust Red
Empire Prophecy Paintball Loader - Black
Custom Products 2008 CP Advantage 3+2 Paintball Harness - Black

Thanks for the input... I know my son will be stoked... looking forward to learning more and ripping up some fields... I've got a neighborhood of wild kids to keep busy!

Thanks.

Last edited by littlebrother : 11-23-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM #6
patphil
How Does It Feel?

patphil supports Cereal Killerz 2
patphil donated to help Peyton Trent
patphil is reppin' sidebar 4 life
dang, that is a sexy set up. Can't really go wrong with any of that. Just make sure your son learns how to maintain the gun and all of his stuff. such as reading the manual thoroughly and stickies. those will answer most of your questions for you
patphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM #7
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vegard is Boss
For a user with little experience a bob long vice or protege would be a safer bet when it comes to simple maintenance.
I'm not saying the Marqs are hard to maintain, but the Gen5 intimidators are definitely alot simpler.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM #8
Tahitian p8ntballer
CS Tahiti

It's a really nice setup. I am sure he will Love it. My team rocks the Closer. We love the new HE bolt. And the rotor is sweeeeeet!!!!
Narii #999 from team CS TAHITI
DLX LUXE OWNERS UNITE

[b]Luxe #927
Tahitian p8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM #9
valkrie hunter
secret project, muahaha

wow... i'm jealous... my first gun was a spyder...

to be honest, i don't really recommened buying an expensive gun since he has limited experience. something cheap and reliable is a plus. but ... well, here's my story.

i was playing at Hollywood sports in so cal. and i saw a few kids that had pretty "high end" guns if you will. so we played them. luckily i was playing pump, but my team went all out on the kids (we thought they were failry skilled) and beat them... that being said, if i was a kid with a good gun and got bunkered, i may second think playing the game...

what i mean is, since he has limited experience, there's a chance where the money spent on the gun may become a waste because he lost interest. I would buy a cheap gun and see if that's what he really wants. maybe after a good year or two, when he knows for sure... moving up to a better gun would be better?

kinda like buying him a car, it wouldn't really be wise to spend a 100,000 dollar car... you know? just my 2 cents.
Xternal/HSP/PaintballGateway

Dye Hinge & Others FS!
valkrie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:35 PM #10
CODY_21
S50 MPWR!!!

CODY_21 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CODY_21 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CODY_21 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
thats a damn nice setup! i member my first setup, spyder imagine, co2 and a revvy. lol i thought i was so tight.

im sure he will appriciate this a lot, let him know about this forum for any support/help he may need.

///M
CODY_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM #11
abr5
llama llama duck...

nice set up. I personally would have gone with a Rotor over a Prophency (just becaues I have a Rotor and love it), but still awesome.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM #12
tokay444
Dust white Darq Marq user

i don't think ease maintenance has anything to do with paintballing experience. it has everything to do with being able to read, comprehend, and a little bit of mechanical aptitude.
LP tanks are recommended for bob's guns. HP will work just fine though if you've already bought it.
tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM #13
pizzaluvr

I'm assuming you got pods? What about pants? A good mask? Jersey(not REQUIRED)?

If I where you I would have checked out a local store and gotten them to reccomend some stuff, especially for a first.. But that's just me.
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM #14
littlebrother
Phone's ringing, Dude.

Solid feeback... Thanks! He's (my son) been playing on and off for more than a year... started out with an ICON e and a 9oz CO2 bottle... that and I was never into with him before now... He would destroy my back yard but never wanted to take it anywhere because it would tear up paint and was a bigger pain to use than he wanted. We do go to parks and rent guns to play... He's ready... I bought him pods and paint but he's going to be raking leaves and cleaning up after the dog if he want's the gucci pants and jersey... already has a mask but I feel an upgrade being asked for pretty soon. ha!

I did request a LP bottle in place of the HP bottle... waiting to see how that turns out... Will be back with pics after everything shows up and we get this setup tweaked and ready for action.

Thanks again... Love the forum!

Last edited by littlebrother : 11-24-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 AM #15
mzk4lyfe101
Moneypit.

gucci pants and jersey?

lulz.

Either way, you are a way awesome dad.

Old Feedback ----- New Feedback

||---VT PAINTBALLER---||
mzk4lyfe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM #16
IamCallingYouDude
Biting Rabbit

has been a member for 10 years
WOW! Nice Setup for sure.

When my son started playing 3 years ago I let him use a rental first and then a pump for almost a year. He is now shooting an Invert Mini but asks to use my Marq whenever he can or my backup Marq. He's 12 now and is an absolute killer on the field. He learned to appreciate his equipment BEFORE he ever even had it.

I think it's great from one father to another that you have spent the time to reward your son based on the effort that he has put forth in every other facet of his life. He seems like a responsible young man based on your posts and I respect YOU for that. There is no substitute for good parenting.
PLUS you and him can share the paintball experience as my son and I have.

Me and my whole team use Marq's and love them. With you helping, he'll learn the ins and outs of that Closer quickly and will likely soon be teaching you a thing or two. My son has become that way with his Mini.

Good Luck to you and for what it's worth, good call going with the LP tank

Support Biting Rabbits!

~B.L.A.S.T.~
IamCallingYouDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM #17
ghettogunner
Simple.

my parents dont love me......
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM #18
AndrewFalk
Zeus Dick

AndrewFalk plays in the PSP
AndrewFalk plays in the APPA D4 division
Welcome to the sport, and to the Bob Long family! It's great to see people who actually do some research before jumping right into the sport.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM #19
mzk4lyfe101
Moneypit.

oh yeah, be sure to pick up dow55, triflow and pressure tester.

Old Feedback ----- New Feedback

||---VT PAINTBALLER---||
mzk4lyfe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM #20
amk123

make sure you watch this, it will help a lot with maintenance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQec7Fa2nA

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=76786523
amk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 PM #21
awsome-o 2000

Adopt Me!!! Please!!!

My eBay feedback -http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=jimstett&ssPageN ame=STRK:ME:UFS
awsome-o 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote