Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-07-2003, 10:17 PM #1
Sniper Bob
Just Givn'er!

Sniper Bob is a Supporting Member
Sniper Bob is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Canadain Players: Take Notice!

Iím sure I donít have to tell you about the recent Paintball attacks that have been going on here in the West. However, I came across recent news - and was confirmed today by an editorial in the Edmonton Sun Ė that Mayor Bill Smith of Edmonton is championing a futile cause, and is on an active letter writing campaign to Provincial and Federal leaders to have some sort of legislation put in place to curb the Paintball attacks. Normally I donít give too much attention to these attacks, but when a group of them are happening at the same time (copycats?), and politicians take notice, then we got problems.

Article in Saturdayís (Aug.02/03) Sun:
Smith wants action on paintball outrages
Says legislation may be needed to curb attacks
By ANDREA SANDS, CITY HALL BUREAU

Mayor Bill Smith says he'll push for legislation to curb paintball-gun attackers who've been targeting people on city streets.

"Some people may interpret that as (being) something we should stay out of. I don't think we should," Smith said yesterday. "I think it's been demonstrated, at least in one incident, that there was a serious injury, a terrible injury ... and this needs to be nipped in the bud."

A 17-year-old Calgary girl is permanently blind in one eye after some joyriding teens armed with a paintball gun shot her earlier this month. Vancouver police recently charged four people after a series of paintball attacks in June involving dozens of victims.

And Edmonton cops are investigating three recent paintball attacks in the north end. Police are following up on a couple of tips about the possible ID of some of the suspects.

Smith said he'll write the provincial and federal governments urging them to examine paintball-gun restrictions.

"I really agree with some of the comments that have been made by the Calgary police that this needs to be controlled, and strictly controlled.

"This is something that could very easily get out of hand."

Smith said he hasn't yet had time to check with city administrators to see if the city has the power to create a bylaw governing the guns, but he'll consider that too.

"This could be something very, very serious, and we need to look at it in all three orders of government, and certainly I'll be looking to see if in fact there's anything that we may want to entertain or do."

It's good news for Gordon Rohr, 46, who was sitting with his wife outside their home near 145 Avenue and 26 Street Wednesday evening when four youths in a Japanese car drove by and shot at the couple.

The paintball narrowly missed them and hit the house.

"This is just ridiculous - I mean, popping people in the eye or shooting them in the temple and they could get killed," he said yesterday.

"They should be used only on the (paintball) courses that they were designed for."

Rohr would like rules in place limiting the sale of paintball guns to paintball clubs.

People who want to use the guns privately for special events could be required to apply for a licence or permit, Rohr suggested.

"I think you should at least restrict the age limit that you can buy them, and it

might stop a few (attacks)."

Editorial in todayís (Aug. 07/03) Sun:
Smith misfires
Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith is barking again. But we have to wonder if he is barking up the wrong tree.

There's nothing that minor politicians like more than massive interventions and sweeping laws, while looking after the duties they are actually mandated to perform is often an afterthought.

No greater example can we think of than His Honour, who appears to love to tinker with things - whether it be no-smoking bylaws or draconian parks policies.

Smith's latest cause appears to be paintball guns, after a couple of recent high-profile attacks in Alberta.

In one Calgary case, a 17-year-old was left blind in one eye, and last weekend an Edmonton couple was sprayed with paintballs from a passing vehicle.

There are rules on city hall's overstuffed bylaw books banning the carrying of a loaded firearm or air gun on any public land in the city - let alone using them. So it appears Smith already has his bases amply covered. A paintball gun is, of course, a low-impact air gun.

So it appears somebody isn't paying the slightest attention to Edmonton city council's myriad stupid laws.

For Sun readers' enlightenment, there's also some very important city legislation governing bicycle bells, playing games in the street and where and when Edmontonians are permitted to mow their lawns. (Yes, the scourge of hopscotch has been suppressed under Smittie's vigilant watch.)

Most are routinely and dutifully ignored by otherwise law-abiding citizens on the understanding that the city hall paper potentates can never hope to enforce them effectively.

Now it appears Smith wants to take his anti-paintball crusade beyond the myopic walls of City Hall and make it a provincial or even a federal matter.

We're not sure whether Smith wants to bring paintball guns under Ottawa's flawed and foolish national gun registry, but he has started a letter-writing campaign to the higher levels of government demanding action.

The mayor, in his own twisted way, does have a point. Responsible firearms owners find the concept of paintball chilling. The sport encourages kids - who are no longer offered hunter training courses in high school because of liberal knee-jerk stances by anti-gun school trustees - to "shoot" each other in mock combat situations.

Gun safety concerns - like muzzle control, safe field of fire and clear target identification - are ignored. And pulling a trigger has absolutely no consequences.

Well, it does, as the recent incidents testify.

The shooting sports are a pleasurable and important part of our culture and heritage.

Smith has cause for concern about paintball. But maybe for all the wrong reasons.

As you may be aware, thereís already legislation in place to deal with attacks such as these, but the people caught are not being charged properly. We do not need additional legislation on top of legislation theyíre not enforcing in the first place! Thatís like placing a dam in front of a dam thatís leaking. The logical answer is to plug the hole.

Thereís nothing worse than an overzealous politician championing a cause he has little to no clue about. Donít believe me? Just look at the recent Gun Control Laws. Mayor Bill Smith and members of Edmontonís City Council needs to realize that thereís already legislation in place than that the people doing these attacks need to be charged to the fullest extent of the Law. Stores need to adamantly enforce their own policies. Use the laws that are already there! As Premier Ralph Klein so eloquently put it the other day: ďYou canít legislate stupidityĒ. The Govít needs to stand behind their laws and hard examples need to be set. Giving these criminals a mere slap on the wrist will deter nothing.

If Smith has taken this to the higher levels of Govít then this needs to be addressed too. Paintballers should contact their local MPís and inform them of the same information, that there are already laws in place that are not being properly enforced. Blaming the object will not stop the human from using it. Also help them realize just how big the Paintball industry is, and how we support local communities when we travel to play, or go to tourneyís, etcÖ Check with your local Provincial Govít on who to contact. Same goes for whom to contact Federally if necessary.

As suggested by another player, I believe it would be a good idea to contact the appropriate Provincial and Federal Justice Ministers to make sure these laws are being enforced. It may look good too if the sport as a whole were encouraging the punishment of those who abuse it.

I would encourage Field owners, Store owners, and suppliers to also contact the necessary people. Whatever the Govít gets involved in canít be good, and this will eventually affect you in the long run.

Now, I talked to Jessica Sparks a couple days ago, and she had the following suggestions of guidelines to follow when contacting the appropriate people:

1) Stay on top of this, talk to the council members and try to talk to the Mayor

2) show them that existing laws already criminalize people who misuse paintball markers & insist that the criminals be caught, prosecuted, and jailed -- see what the laws are right now for
"assault" (that covers assault with a baseball bat, a fist, a paintball, etc.).

3) explain that trying to restrict the markers to play sites will do absolutely nothing to stop criminals - they must be caught and prosecuted.

4) gather your forces of voters behind one message: we are the lawbiding pb players, we didn't do this, we contribute hugely to the economy, we vote, and we oppose restricting us for the actions of a criminal or a few criminals.

5) if you agree to "compromise" on restrictions, it is giving the anti-pb forces what they want - and their end game is zero guns. zero. Once the road is started upon, the end will be zero guns.

6) aren't there already laws forbidding the sale to minors? check - if there are, if airguns cannot be sold to minors, then you say "enforce the laws we already have"

7) find a pb playing lawyer to help, or lobbyist, or find the kids whose parents are elected officials, etc etc. Get them involved.

Also I would like to add a couple of things:

8) Use proper English when addressing these people. Using slang or ď1337Ē speak will most likely get your message ignored.

9) Be mature. We are all passionate about this sport, but cooler heads must prevail. Do not give threats or encourage vigilantism

10) If youíre old enough, remind them that you are a registered voter. May or may not be effective but every little bit helps.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:19 PM #2
Sniper Bob
Just Givn'er!

And last but not least, SPREAD THE WORD! If Mayor Bill Smith has been in contact with other levels of Govít, then this will most certainly not be isolated to just an Edmonton problem. This is a time for all Paintballers to stand together. I plan on posting this on other forums, but please copy this message and get it out
there!

Edmonton City Hall: http://www.gov.edmonton.ab.ca/

Government of Alberta: http://www.gov.ab.ca

Government of Canada: http://canada.gc.ca

Use http://www.google.ca to find your Provincial Govít agencies.

Good luck everyone.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:05 PM #3
GhOsT6_9

Why does this not surprise me. Punish the majority of us lawabiding players, cuz a few morons go around and start shootin people on the street.

I'm gonna make sure my local MP hears about the positives of the sport and such.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:41 PM #4
Sniper Bob
Just Givn'er!

Sadly these incidents are not isolated to these provinces. I'm sure we've all had our share recently. Music Icon's like Eminiem going around and doing drive-by's in movies like 8 Mile don't help either.

I've had people suggest that not talkign to their local Gov't is the best bet. Less they know the better right? Although I personally think it's beter to give them the facts now before some small group goes screaming at them and they take off on a cause with only half the info needed.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:20 AM #5
PMIkid

Aucttly down here in southern ontario is been pretty good for that kind of stuff, I have onbly heard of one thing like this, and that was my friend, I think that you shouldn't be allowed to play paintball unless its on a lisenced field, OR so many metres from the road, that would, and anybody found with a loaded gun should get charge
Old 08-17-2003, 02:20 PM #6
RdS

RdS is a Supporting Member
RdS supports DLX Technology
they won't do anything. they threatened this a couple years ago.

i highly doubt anything will go past talking like last time.

people get killed with real guns, why don't the focus thier resources on that instead
Old 08-20-2003, 08:45 AM #7
PMIkid

Meh, they'll get over it
Old 08-31-2003, 02:39 AM #8
syria
Awaiting Email Confirmation

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwsome sniper bob is here to wuzup james hows it hangin pballcanada not cutting it for you?
Old 08-31-2003, 08:37 AM #9
mtbrdude
**** Smart Parts

mtbrdude donated to help Peyton Trent
I think you should at least restrict the age limit that you can buy them, and it

might stop a few (attacks)."

the few stores around my place do enforce this rule.. at least one even posted a sign right beside the counter saying that people under 18 need parental consent to buy a gun or CO2 tank.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:50 AM #10
Sniper Bob
Just Givn'er!

Quote:
Originally posted by mtbrdude
the few stores around my place do enforce this rule.. at least one even posted a sign right beside the counter saying that people under 18 need parental consent to buy a gun or CO2 tank.
Every single one of the stores has the sign up, but one I've seen has the sign up so damn high I have to look up!

Plus I've know older guys who've used their 15 year old nephew to buy a marker just to check to see if they'd sell to him without checking their age... and they did.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:16 PM #11
bscriver

I've had our shift trucks shoot up on a strech of hwy 95 south just by wasa B.C. two days later the little punks ditched a greyhound bus, little to nothing was on the new, but thoes punks spreding a bad image about the sport want to find the police before I find them.