Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM #127
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant
 
Blacc Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon helped look for balloons
Blacc Dragon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Blacc Dragon supports Team VICIOUS
Blacc Dragon posts videos on PbNation
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabork View Post
huh? im letting you know that the venders have very little to do with the revenue , i would bet its less than 20%
The vendors have everything to do with revenue. That is how the league get paid. The league makes no money from the players, they make their money from the vendors, who make their money from the spectators. Your estimation of revenue percentage that the vendors represent is grossly understated. Every event has a cash prize package >$75,000, a venue that has to be rented, fields that must be purchased or maintained, equipment that must be rented(or hauled to event location), fuel bought, bathrooms rented, & employee salaries that must be paid. How much of that do you really believe comes from player registrations?
Blacc Dragon is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM #128
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant
 
Blacc Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon helped look for balloons
Blacc Dragon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Blacc Dragon supports Team VICIOUS
Blacc Dragon posts videos on PbNation
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM-O View Post
i don't mean to step into your argument here, but do you even know who Megabork is??? well i do, and i know for a fact he's DEEPLY involved with paintball, most likely more so than you are.
I have no idea who he is, and suspect that you are right about our involvement levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM-O View Post
now we'd all love to go to luxurious huge events where we dream of people watching us, but you know what? once again Mega is right, no one gives a crap about paintball besides paintballers.
This is where you are wrong. It is fans, casual and die-hard that keep tournament paintball going. Without fans, the leagues lose money. How many leagues(in any sport) are going to put on events while losing money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM-O View Post
yes i would love a great reffing staff, great turf, great bunkers, and a few tech tents. i don't need empty bleachers, that only rubs it in that no one cares about us. i want to go out and play some damn ball with the best competition and nothing less. I KNOW no one watches us, so if you're going to put some bleachers, just let players sit there for free. it is absolutely absurd they charge you $10 more on Saturday and Sunday for a wristband to sit there. the people who care and want to watch the game are ONLY people who play paintball.
This statement has nothing to do with what Megabork and I were discussing, but it is actually a sign of a growing fan base in paintball. If it is the same price on the showcase days of the weekend as the first days of the tournament, then that means that you have noone watching you. The fact that the weekend is more expensive, means that they expect fans to come out and fill those bleachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM-O View Post
i'm not going to put Mega on blast and use his name and say what he does, but lets just say he has huge ties in SD and he's not some idiot.
Never accused him of being one. I just disagreed with his logic on where the money comes from and spoke on it. I actually agreed with him on what should be used as qualifiers in determining next year's locations.
Blacc Dragon is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM #129
usafpilot07
East Coast
 
usafpilot07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC *919*
usafpilot07 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Dragon View Post


This statement has nothing to do with what Megabork and I were discussing, but it is actually a sign of a growing fan base in paintball. If it is the same price on the showcase days of the weekend as the first days of the tournament, then that means that you have noone watching you. The fact that the weekend is more expensive, means that they expect fans to come out and fill those bleachers.

.
While there is more foot traffic during the weekends, you have to remember that over half the teams that entered the tournament don't make it to sunday.
__________________
MVPaintballer- "Only problem I have with it is I can't tell when people are emo or gay - so I don't know what to call them during my hate rallies."

☺☺☺☺Rare XO Designers- Brown/Gold & OG Brown Venomwear☺☺☺☺

☻☻☻Old School Baby Blue JT Strap☻☻☻
♥♥♥Rare Colored JT 2-Piece ♥♥♥
Pink Ion-Never been shot. Needs new QEV, Feedneck and Reg- $70
usafpilot07 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM #130
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant
 
Blacc Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon helped look for balloons
Blacc Dragon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Blacc Dragon supports Team VICIOUS
Blacc Dragon posts videos on PbNation
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafpilot07 View Post
While there is more foot traffic during the weekends, you have to remember that over half the teams that entered the tournament don't make it to sunday.
I do remember this. I also remember that most of the teams that don't make it, leave. Yet they are still charging more on the weekends than they do during the week when all teams are around. What does that tell you about where they get their money from?
Blacc Dragon is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM #131
usafpilot07
East Coast
 
usafpilot07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC *919*
usafpilot07 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Dragon View Post
I do remember this. I also remember that most of the teams that don't make it, leave. Yet they are still charging more on the weekends than they do during the week when all teams are around. What does that tell you about where they get their money from?
How do you figure most of the teams that don't make it, leave? Airlines do not move up flight times for paintballers.
__________________
MVPaintballer- "Only problem I have with it is I can't tell when people are emo or gay - so I don't know what to call them during my hate rallies."

☺☺☺☺Rare XO Designers- Brown/Gold & OG Brown Venomwear☺☺☺☺

☻☻☻Old School Baby Blue JT Strap☻☻☻
♥♥♥Rare Colored JT 2-Piece ♥♥♥
Pink Ion-Never been shot. Needs new QEV, Feedneck and Reg- $70
usafpilot07 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM #132
pbstar7777777 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 336
Huntington Beach, The So-Cal :nododgy:
San Deigo, California
Kansas City, KC
Orlando, Florida
Charrlote, NC
pbstar7777777 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM #133
rdb011
仇恨,憎
 
rdb011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 860
rdb011 donated to help Peyton Trent
rdb011 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rdb011 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianlegion3 View Post
NPPL Afghanistan
haha
__________________
Ryan Bengston
"DESERT STORM"
Im PHAMOUS...are you?
rdb011 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM #134
Craigy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafpilot07 View Post
How do you figure most of the teams that don't make it, leave? Airlines do not move up flight times for paintballers.

Let me get this right from just the few post I have read I gathered we are debating where the league makes it's money?

Well as a person who has had a Pro team AND worked for a company that was a "Platinum" sponsor. The league makes about 50% from the teams and 50% from the sponsors. The "fan's" paying is a minimal additional income at this point. Probably to pay for things like the pod cast and things like that.

And most of the people at this point in the stands are for sure the players of the event or friends and family.

If this helps with the conversation so be it, if it's not at all close to the topic disregard.
Craigy is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM #135
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant
 
Blacc Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon helped look for balloons
Blacc Dragon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Blacc Dragon supports Team VICIOUS
Blacc Dragon posts videos on PbNation
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafpilot07 View Post
How do you figure most of the teams that don't make it, leave? Airlines do not move up flight times for paintballers.
Other than the teams that are at every tournament, and usually make Sunday, who's at the tournaments? Local teams, who leave after losing.

I am not saying that this is always what happens, I am saying that I would be willing to bet that it happens more times than it does not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Let me get this right from just the few post I have read I gathered we are debating where the league makes it's money?

Well as a person who has had a Pro team AND worked for a company that was a "Platinum" sponsor. The league makes about 50% from the teams and 50% from the sponsors. The "fan's" paying is a minimal additional income at this point. Probably to pay for things like the pod cast and things like that.

And most of the people at this point in the stands are for sure the players of the event or friends and family.

If this helps with the conversation so be it, if it's not at all close to the topic disregard.
It's close to the topic. I have never said that the fans pay the league directly. This started by a couple of comments that kind of dismissed non-players as being unimportant to the scope of tournaments. All I stated was that the fans are a large contributor to the tournament scene, to the point that there would be none without fans. The tournament from both teams and the vendors. The vendors make their money from the fans. No fans would eventually equal no vendors, which would equal no tournament. None of the three entities would survive without all of the others being there.
Blacc Dragon is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM #136
- ATTICUS -
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phila
deff go old school

HB
Tampa
Denver
SD
Miami
__________________
- ATTICUS - is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM #137
revrebel
Notorious B.I.G.
 
revrebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: longisland or NYC
Annual Supporting Member
revrebel is a Paintball photographer
revrebel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by white trash View Post
huntington station ny
albany ny
syracuse ny
rochester ny
frost proof fl
i know EVERY baller from huntington station theres me and.......... me? lol cant belive my home town was brought up lmao
__________________
SkA
Long Island Faction
We play pump n' stuff
revrebel is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:41 PM #138
Slave2theAxe
Death to wipers...
 
Slave2theAxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Slave2theAxe plays in the PSP
Slave2theAxe plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlax27 View Post
for all the people saying that they said where the events will be during the captians meeting what were the locations
This is what Dave said in the Captains meeting on Thurs. night:

HB
Chicago
Wash D.C.
SD
Somewhere in Florida

Everything else is just speculation or hopes and dreams.
__________________
-Nic
One Hit Kill - R.I.P.
Killin for Addiction 808
Slave2theAxe is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:48 PM #139
southbaykilla
EC
 
southbaykilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
nppl was hoping to make some of its money by charging Players $10-15 dollars to watch Sat n Sun in grandstands. G uess they didnt break even. what thy should of had was a players area to watch play on nppl field like at most if not all events. most people that come to watch that r family and friends. the only event the i saw non paintball people come and watch were from the swapmeet at the oc fairgrounds.

mayb if players got in free their friends would pay the 10-15 to sit and watch games with them.....
southbaykilla is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 PM #140
megabork
im jabba
 
megabork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: san diego
megabork is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Let me get this right from just the few post I have read I gathered we are debating where the league makes it's money?

Well as a person who has had a Pro team AND worked for a company that was a "Platinum" sponsor. The league makes about 50% from the teams and 50% from the sponsors. The "fan's" paying is a minimal additional income at this point. Probably to pay for things like the pod cast and things like that.

And most of the people at this point in the stands are for sure the players of the event or friends and family.

If this helps with the conversation so be it, if it's not at all close to the topic disregard.
platinum sponsers= army ,marines and i think spyder? not sure but none of those rely on "fans" to purchase product,, fans have zero impact on tourny paintball,, in fact they dont even exsist really , i would agree a few years ago "venders" could make a few bucks during the highest point of the sport but those days are long gone the league needs to focus on who pays the bills which is the teams for the most part,, i would also venture to say that when you worked for that sponser it was 50% 50% but i would bet its alot less today
megabork is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM #141
megabork
im jabba
 
megabork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: san diego
megabork is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Dragon View Post
The vendors have everything to do with revenue. That is how the league get paid. The league makes no money from the players, they make their money from the vendors, who make their money from the spectators. Your estimation of revenue percentage that the vendors represent is grossly understated. Every event has a cash prize package >$75,000, a venue that has to be rented, fields that must be purchased or maintained, equipment that must be rented(or hauled to event location), fuel bought, bathrooms rented, & employee salaries that must be paid. How much of that do you really believe comes from player registrations?
wow your completly wrong look at above post
megabork is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM #142
dan13
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Skokie, IL
To not think of chicago as one of the venues is insanity.

You all are nuts.
__________________
Xbox 360+games F/S

PM for details
dan13 is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM #143
Craigy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabork View Post
platinum sponsers= army ,marines and i think spyder? not sure but none of those rely on "fans" to purchase product,, fans have zero impact on tourny paintball,, in fact they dont even exsist really , i would agree a few years ago "venders" could make a few bucks during the highest point of the sport but those days are long gone the league needs to focus on who pays the bills which is the teams for the most part,, i would also venture to say that when you worked for that sponser it was 50% 50% but i would bet its alot less today
Now this could of changed but, I bet it hasn't changed that much. If your involved "that" much you know the cost to be an event sponsor. right? And of course you know the entry fee's for teams? You don't think ALL of the sponsors put up almost as much as the teams over the year? And very very few sponsors break even on the event. yes, no? To be honest I don't really care anymore. lol
Craigy is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 PM #144
LiM-O
Michael Lim
 
LiM-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Dragon View Post
I have no idea who he is, and suspect that you are right about our involvement levels.



This is where you are wrong. It is fans, casual and die-hard that keep tournament paintball going. Without fans, the leagues lose money. How many leagues(in any sport) are going to put on events while losing money?



This statement has nothing to do with what Megabork and I were discussing, but it is actually a sign of a growing fan base in paintball. If it is the same price on the showcase days of the weekend as the first days of the tournament, then that means that you have noone watching you. The fact that the weekend is more expensive, means that they expect fans to come out and fill those bleachers.



Never accused him of being one. I just disagreed with his logic on where the money comes from and spoke on it. I actually agreed with him on what should be used as qualifiers in determining next year's locations.
What fans do you speak of? The only reason why these tournaments are put up is to let teams play. They make money off of entries, ID cards, etc etc.

there are NO fans putting money into this system and if there was, it'd be so soooo small. the only fans you have are players who aren't on pro teams. that's it.

also for that matter, paintball has no spectators. the only source of large cash flow that the NPPL recieves to put on these events are by their platinum or biggest sponsors. Example) Marines, Army, Spyder, what have you. vendors aren't making a lot of money these days. how many people you know go to events specifically to buy stuff? not that many, and if they are, they are paintballers as it is.

POINT AND CASE.... There is no one outside of paintball who gives a crap about paintball, so all the money being put into the system is just to keep it all afloat.
LiM-O is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM #145
Blacc Dragon
Deadbox Savant
 
Blacc Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Blacc Dragon donated to help Peyton Trent
Blacc Dragon helped look for balloons
Blacc Dragon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Blacc Dragon supports Team VICIOUS
Blacc Dragon posts videos on PbNation
Blacc Dragon is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM-O View Post
What fans do you speak of? The only reason why these tournaments are put up is to let teams play. They make money off of entries, ID cards, etc etc.

there are NO fans putting money into this system and if there was, it'd be so soooo small. the only fans you have are players who aren't on pro teams. that's it.

also for that matter, paintball has no spectators. the only source of large cash flow that the NPPL recieves to put on these events are by their platinum or biggest sponsors. Example) Marines, Army, Spyder, what have you. vendors aren't making a lot of money these days. how many people you know go to events specifically to buy stuff? not that many, and if they are, they are paintballers as it is.

POINT AND CASE.... There is no one outside of paintball who gives a crap about paintball, so all the money being put into the system is just to keep it all afloat.
The fans I speak of are paintballers. But, they are paintballers that are not on any of the teams playing at the event. I know of 15 - 20 people who went to Commander's Cup specifically to buy things and watch the games. I seriously doubt that they were the only ones to do this. These are the people that I am talking about. They're the revenue stream that keeps the vendors attending these events.
Blacc Dragon is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM #146
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER
 
WillyW0nka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Vendors pay to attend, people pay the vendors in attendance, and the expectations of having a large extravagant paintball event persuade the people to go. It's all connected, you can't really attribute the success of an event to one part of the circle.
WillyW0nka is offline  
Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM #147
Dkepp™
OG
 
Dkepp™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Jersey
Dkepp™ plays in the USPL
Dkepp™ plays in the PSP
Dkepp™ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Dkepp™ plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2theAxe View Post
This is what Dave said in the Captains meeting on Thurs. night:

HB
Chicago
Wash D.C.
SD
Somewhere in Florida

Everything else is just speculation or hopes and dreams.
sounds pretty good, but DC? come on.
Dkepp™ is offline  
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump