Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-15-2015, 11:03 PM #1
Tactical Sports
Commissioner MLTS

First post: What do you think about tactical laser tag?

Hi everyone,

First post, been checking out (trolling lol) the forums for a few weeks. Never been a paintballer. Former Military and love playing with M.I.L.E.S gear.

A little about myself, I'm an owner operator of an outdoor laser tag field. We don't offer paintball but do provide mission based and competitive style games. We work hard to provide safe fun games and I absolutely love my work.

I wanted to get peoples thoughts about Tactical laser tag. I know a lot of paintball fields are offering the outdoor laser tag options (The commercial MILES gear systems). If you have played at your local field let me know what you liked or didn't like about.

I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks in advance,
Stan
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2015, 04:13 PM #2
C0lin

C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
C0lin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Sounds pretty cool in my opinion. I always liked laser tag when I was in middle school I assume it's popular with that age group.

Last edited by C0lin : 04-17-2015 at 08:05 PM.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:37 PM #3
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

My only experiences playing laser tag have been at places like Ultrazone and Q-Zar. Based on what I've seen, the idea of lasertag in general doesn't appeal to me, principally because from what I've seen the game quickly devolved into using your hands or body to obscure the sensor units, or orienting yourself in such a way that you could shoot from around the corner without exposing any of the sensors. It was fun mostly because of the smoke, techno music, and my friends laughing, but the idea of investing time and money into it isn't something I'm interested in.

One of the things that attracted me most to paintball in the mid-90s was the prevailing attitude in the non-tournament side of the hobby at the time, which generally was anything-goes-as-long-as-it's-safe. This lead to a lot of custom-built and modified gear, outlandish costumes at scenario games, and a generally fun and non-judgemental atmosphere that still continues in certain parts of the hobby today. Since, as I understand it, laser tag relies heavily on standardization of gear and sensor units, I just don't feel like that would be there.

Most of all, I'm absolutely married to the idea that paintball's clear kinetic presence in the real world is key to its appeal. If your opponent is shooting at you, either your foot is exposed or it isn't- either you can see the paint splattered on your shoe or you can't. Relying on the judgment of temperamental sensors and invisible infrared beams just doesn't provide same level of real-world physical clarity. I dislike airsoft for much the same reason.

Last edited by The Inflicted : 04-17-2015 at 04:59 PM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:55 PM #4
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
My only experiences playing laser tag have been at places like Ultrazone and Q-Zar. Based on what I've seen, the idea of lasertag in general doesn't appeal to me, principally because from what I've seen the game quickly devolved into using your hands or body to obscure the sensor units, or orienting yourself in such a way that you could shoot from around the corner without exposing any of the sensors. It was fun mostly because of the smoke, techno music, and my friends laughing, but the idea of investing time and money into it isn't something I'm interested in.

One of the things that attracted me most to paintball in the mid-90s was the prevailing attitude in the non-tournament side of the hobby at the time, which generally was anything-goes-as-long-as-it's-safe. This lead to a lot of custom-built and modified gear, outlandish costumes at scenario games, and a generally fun and non-judgemental atmosphere that still continues in certain parts of the hobby today. Since, as I understand it, laser tag relies heavily on standardization of gear and sensor units, I just don't feel like that would be there.

Most of all, I'm absolutely married to the idea that paintball's clear kinetic presence in the real world is key to its appeal. If you're opponent is shooting at you, either your foot is exposed or it isn't- either you can see the paint splattered on your shoe or you can't. Relying on the judgment of temperamental sensors and invisible infrared beams just doesn't provide same level of real-world physical clarity. I dislike airsoft for much the same reason.
I will just say, DOT.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:04 PM #5
Tactical Sports
Commissioner MLTS

Inflicted/tlmiller, thanks for your input..

The "Laser tag" equipment used today is nothing like q-zar or the kids toys we grew up with. The equipment I use at my OUTDOOR field is built by ecombat. It's made of aircraft aluminum and weighs about 5lbs. They come with electronic red dot sights, fore grip and provide instant hit feedback. Weapon range varies from 80m to 1000m in daylight. There are about 7 manufacturers that build state of the art highly accurate MILES based laser tag systems. All the other stuff is CRAP with a big S...... lol

Your right about the equipment, But laser tag equipment is not a consumer level product yet and when they do, it will just be a few manufacturers using a common frequency, so personal equipment is currently a non starter. Someone needs to build a third party freq modulator or something to that affect. Then consumer proliferation can begin.

The rapport and pain is attractive and adds to the realism is what I've heard many times. I understand that aspect and respect that. I was drawn to Tactical Laser Tag (MILES based tag) from my time in the military. I've never been one to need any other stimuli. Just the game of me vs him has always been enough for me.

But that is also speaking from my experience, I'm old enough that Paintball was fairly new when I joined the military in 1992. Never even played for years even after I saw it on ESPN back in the day.

As far as hiding sensors, it comes with same HONOR system as getting hit with a paintball. In competitive matches you don't see players attempt this, for one thing fair play is the norm and any field Marshall worth his Salt will eject you from the game (competitive or otherwise).

Last edited by Tactical Sports : 04-17-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Tactical Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 PM #6
Lemmesee

Never found laser tag interesting , I like the physical aspect of paintball , the immediate response of being hit ( who cares if the guy wipes it off ? I'll hit him again ) and the incentive of avoiding being hit yourself , the fact that paintball comes in many formats ; Speedball , Woodsball , Milsim , Scenario , the fact that you can own your equipment and play whichever format you like , specially my favorite outlaw ball , just a bunch of guys out in the woods whenever you want to play ...
Lemmesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:17 PM #7
Tactical Sports
Commissioner MLTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmesee View Post
Never found laser tag interesting , I like the physical aspect of paintball , the immediate response of being hit ( who cares if the guy wipes it off ? I'll hit him again ) and the incentive of avoiding being hit yourself , the fact that paintball comes in many formats ; Speedball , Woodsball , Milsim , Scenario , the fact that you can own your equipment and play whichever format you like , specially my favorite outlaw ball , just a bunch of guys out in the woods whenever you want to play ...
Thanks Lemmesee for your feedback.
I do think the # of formats/games is a moot point. You can play every game type with Tac equipment that you can with a marker. Tactical laser tag has just as many if not more formats and game types. We use the same 3rd party props like precision mayhem for search n destroy and scenarios. And most systems come with electronic domination points, bomb props, claymores and more integrated into their systems.

We do tend to play respawn games more often than one life games like paintball. Tac laser tag adopted a different approach than traditional indoor "kiddee" laser tag by offering video game style games such as domination, search and destroy, sabotage, capture the flag ect. The ability to respawn back into the game is necessary to recreate that experience. Many operators including myself also run scenario games and have woodstag, speed tag(inflatable), Urban CQC, and do milsim.

Sorry so long winded... LOL
TacSpo

Last edited by Tactical Sports : 04-17-2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: ha
Old 04-17-2015, 10:08 PM #8
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
paintzapper has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintzapper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My last experience of laser tag was not great, but I put it down to the equipment the facility uses.

When I played last I could see peoples heads, upper body, limbs and so on. The equipments accuracy was terrible and the "sniper rifle" I was using wouldn't even hit the sensors halfway across the field. Eventually we just sat around waving at each other, kinda lame and, to me, a waist of $10 for the one run.

If I play laser tag again, several things must be different to make me want to join in:

1) Sensors must be on body, limbs, head and equipment. I hate being able to see my opponent but not being able to eliminate them. It just comes to a quick draw battle as we both pop up at the same time.

It would be neat if you get shot in the arm, that arm is useless, but you are still alive. Some message (verbal, audio or tactile) is sent to the player who got hit to inform them of what happened. Same thing with the equipment, get shot in the gun it is down, go to the sidearm.

2) Realistic range and equipment is sighted in. As someone who grew up with firearms and did small competitive shooting in scouts, being handed a rifle with the sights off is a no-no. Most vivid and angering experience is a black powder rifle competition. Would have won too, first 2 rifles sighted in, last one way off the mark.... as I went first the others had the choice not to use it.

In paintball, I can see how far my shots go, I know that I need to reposition myself on the field. Laser tag, not the same. I don't know if my equipment is off or I need to get closer.

3) Options to what to use is essential. I personally like this about paintball, If I want to play close range I can configure my equipment to fit that roll. If I want a bit more range than the standard player, that option is available with the flatline barrel, apex barrel and first strike rounds.

The last place I went had options of what we could use but they were limited to the selected field, so unfortunately the P90 was not available for the field we entered (super stupid as the MAC 11 was available and someone took it).

4) Game types are great, basic elimination is fun but as someone that plays 24 hour scenario games, a mission just adds that extra bit of fun. Definitely run mission based games and you could even do different themes each day/weekend/month. Wild west? Round up all those interested! Got military props and objectives? Get tactical with your buddies! Ever wanted to see if you can be Sam Fisher or Solid Snake? See if you can evade an army and slither your way to the checkpoint only you know about with the random prop.

Those Ideas are probably overkill but I don't doubt that it would be fun.

On a side note, I quickly browsed your website and noticed you are in a couple states. Any chance you may join the Central Florida area?

Last edited by paintzapper : 04-17-2015 at 10:17 PM.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:07 AM #9
Tactical Sports
Commissioner MLTS

Paintzapper - I do have a couple of irons in the fire down there.

I would say, shame on the operator that allowed you to play. If the sniper rifle wasn't accurate there is only few reasons that would happen. First if the scope had been adjusted improperly, lens not cleaned or the operator didn't have a solid charge on the tagger. All operator error. They also could have the range set due to the size of the field. We can set them up for short 60m, medium 120m and long 240m range. If the Operator had yours set on 60m that would explain your frustration.

It's the operators duty to ensure your equipment is working properly. I know the exact model your talking about and it is good up to 300m or more. I'm sorry your experience was subpar. I will say this, tac equipment awards the most ACCURATE player.

Last edited by Tactical Sports : 04-18-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 PM #10
Lord40Hands

Lord40Hands owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Let me start off by saying i played w the original laser tag set and laser challenge home/personal equipment. Last thing I remember buying was some laser challenge pro sets, don't know if anyone will remember those as they werent popular due to price and sub par quality control, never got mine to consistently work. Biggest draw for me was I could make my own games and turn my backyard into a war zone for relatively the same cost of taking my brother and cousins to a pay to play laser tag facility a couple of times. Loved the idea of playing war or cops n robbers in my backyard making our own rules.... this was of course before any of us started playing paintball. I say this because while I loved playing laser tag w the family it would be a hard sell to convince me to play laser tag over paintball for the day. I imagine laser tag, or tac, would give paintball field owners a nice opportunity to attract more people to their field, but again it would be a hard sell to the clientele they already have unless.......... it offered something different then what paintball can offer. What i mean by this is game modes, maybe capture the fort where defenders have more life then attackers or a straight up terminator or zombie modes that can be tracked/programmed. Or perhaps the ability to play at night where lasers are visible would be enough to get me out there n try it, would be more inclined to play if it was too dark to paintball but the field offered tac laser tag at night. Anyways what im getting at is it would be cool to have tac laser tag compliment the paintball experience rather then have it being a separate entity like airsoft..... nothing against people who play airsoft, but you couldnt pay me to play airsoft.
Lord40Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 AM #11
Tactical Sports
Commissioner MLTS

Lord40hands
We play games like your describing all the time. Survivor, zombies, nest (Which is two machine gun nest (equipment set to M60's) vs your group of 8 trying to take it down ect.

Tac equipment doesn't emit a laser beam. But the do have muzzle flash in team colors and no light setting for stealth mission types.

There's also another way to expand games. The equipment I own emulates 60 different weapons. From a musket (yes a musket with a 3 minute reload time) to M-1 Garand, M1911, Tommy gun, Uzi, H&K MP5 ect. So the ability to turn a unit into a specialized weapon type adds more or less complexity to the game whichever your going for.

For the pain lovers, there is a company that employs a vest. When you're tagged the vest sends a low voltage shock. That system is approved for tournament play and is the most realistic looking units on the market.