PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 AM #43
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Ah, nothing but the best I see. I bet you forgot to tell us about the vital step that involves crushed narwhal horn.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 PM #44
gyroscope

gyroscope is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
gyroscope supports Bob Gurnsey
unicorn of the sea ftw

Dirt Products Anodizing
Old 11-15-2008, 05:05 PM #45
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
Stepchild plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazbullet View Post
Any chance you'd let us at least know what the coating is?

I always thought it looked like some sort of interference pattern, which doesnt make too much sense given that it should be durable enough for paintball.

Can you also specify what type of whale blubber? Orca? Humpback?
There are a few differnet chemicals that could be used, but they are all titanium based.

Oh and it is sperm whale
Dirt Products
www.blitzpaintball.net www.planeteclipse.com www.hustlepaintball.com

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 PM #46
Waxball88
Ego♥

"Hmmmm..........shens?" By me 08-01-07

Your OG thread. Where i attempted to catch you on shens. Failed. Then met you at cup and held these beauties.

Please get a sticky for my man cutstep!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:59 PM #47
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Titanium? So its like some sort of deposition of titanium+somehow getting uneven oxidation (i.e. titanium anodizing.)

Whats the process called, it'd be fun to read up on.

And when cutstep says narwhal, I believe him.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 PM #48
R3L
CCM is not a verb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAuthorityX View Post
you should explain how is oil slick done...just for comparison
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 PM #49
fs8frenzy
im a silly goose

fs8frenzy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
oilslick is a vinyl wrap i believe
Pump Scout has a little dick.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:20 AM #50
Stepchild

Stepchild is a Moderator
Quote:
Titanium? So its like some sort of deposition of titanium+somehow getting uneven oxidation (i.e. titanium anodizing.)

Whats the process called, it'd be fun to read up on.

And when cutstep says narwhal, I believe him.
The last thing I will say is that it is not an anodizing of titanium. It is a process that is very different, require much more expensive equipment and is not as easy as anodizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs8frenzy View Post
oilslick is a vinyl wrap i believe
Though i have not seen an oil slick up close. I do know of a chemical process that is somewhat similar to anodizing that can give that look. As in it looks similar to aurora but has an overall darker color. It is done with the chemical deposition of a Titanium compund onto the surface in solution and then oxidizing titanium. Chemical deposition of titanium is not very easy to do because of the chemical properties of Ti.
Dirt Products

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8

Last edited by Stepchild : 11-16-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 AM #51
xsn0man
I bleed burgundy and gold

And I guess youre right, it would be hard to do if you were the first one doing it. PB guns would be pretty hard. But if you had a standard thing of metal it wouldnt be terribly difficult to coat it. But to do it so it looks nice and is the right thickness might be difficult. I really dont know too much about the ins and outs of applying the process, but I understand the process and how one would theoretically do it, as well as what machinery I could procure, but I doubt I would be able to get it on the 1st try or anything.

Cutstep, I've been wondering, do you use a Ni coat under? Or just the straight mystery aurora process.
Oh, nevermind, I just read your "Cant say anything nurr" post. So yeah. I mean, if you PM me, I wont tell

And anodizing Ti is fun. Pretty colors without dye!
How many "looks like an shoebox shocker and karni had a baby" threads does it take to prove most paintballers are idiots?
IMP Parts Sale!

Last edited by xsn0man : 11-16-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 AM #52
Stepchild

Stepchild is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsn0man View Post
And I guess youre right, it would be hard to do if you were the first one doing it. PB guns would be pretty hard. But if you had a standard thing of metal it wouldnt be terribly difficult to coat it. But to do it so it looks nice and is the right thickness might be difficult. I really dont know too much about the ins and outs of applying the process, but I understand the process and how one would theoretically do it, as well as what machinery I could procure, but I doubt I would be able to get it on the 1st try or anything.

Cutstep, I've been wondering, do you use a Ni coat under? Or just the straight mystery aurora process.
Oh, nevermind, I just read your "Cant say anything nurr" post. So yeah. I mean, if you PM me, I wont tell

And anodizing Ti is fun. Pretty colors without dye!
The process does not depend on the shape, size or detail of milling of the part being coated. So in theroy it is just as easy to do a small flat piece of metal as it would be to do an enitre gun. I don't think you understand what these reactors, component wise, consist of. I know for a fact that one of the pumps that is normally used you Might be able to buy used for $10,000 if you can find one that doesn't require at least $10,000 more worth of parts to fix it.

I will go out on a limb and say that no one in the paintball industry and especially no one on these boards will ever own/run an instrument capable of doing Aruora. Anyone who does it will out source it to a company that already has the correct instrumental setup.
Dirt Products

Old 11-16-2008, 01:38 AM #53
xsn0man

Really? See, I was thinking that you would get uneven deposition on curves. Maybe I was just wrong...
I guess it does deposit on the molecular level, but I guess I was wrong. I was thinking that on any sort of cut like >, you would get an odd/different deposit thickness than on a flat vertical or horizontal surface.
Then again, maybe it was me just being silly. Also, I was more interested in finding out how sputtering worked...so that might be why.
I was actually looking into something else, then realized that this could be how aurora was done....and figured it out. Well, generally figured it out. With time and lots of money, I could figure it out. So please excuse, and correct my misconceptions.

No, I know how much it costs, and I am not interested AT ALL in doing it. I just was curious and began looking more and more into it.
How many "looks like an shoebox shocker and karni had a baby" threads does it take to prove most paintballers are idiots?
IMP Parts Sale!

Last edited by xsn0man : 11-16-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 AM #54
Stepchild

Stepchild is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsn0man View Post
Really? See, I was thinking that you would get uneven deposition on curves. Maybe I was just wrong...
I guess it does deposit on the molecular level, but I guess I was wrong. I was thinking that on any sort of cut like >, you would get an odd/different deposit thickness than on a flat vertical or horizontal surface.
Then again, maybe it was me just being silly. Also, I was more interested in finding out how sputtering worked...so that might be why.
I was actually looking into something else, then realized that this could be how aurora was done....and figured it out. Well, generally figured it out. With time and lots of money, I could figure it out. So please excuse, and correct my misconceptions.

No, I know how much it costs, and I am not interested AT ALL in doing it. I just was curious and began looking more and more into it.

You are correct in the fact that you get uneven "layers" but that is what you want. That is what makes the differnet pretty colors. i don't know if layers is the best word either, let say diffenerent deposition density. The instrument is set up to to allow a variable deposition of Ti onto the surface, that is one of the reasons no 2 arouras are the same. The thing is, the machines can be set up to give a very even controled density on the surface aswell, imagine the aroura look but with only one color, like gold or the blue or green over the entire gun.
Dirt Products

Old 11-16-2008, 09:45 AM #55
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Well I have a good idea about the sort of pump your talking about, and I would imagine that its probably easier to get a more even coating than it is to create the aroura effect, I'm curious as to how thats done, but that is probably the most secret content out there.

What I am actually curious about is, if its not oxidized through ano, what do you need to do. Pure ti clearly needs to react with something to change color.

I really have no interest in stealing the process, but I am curious, as with xsn0man.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM #56
fs8frenzy
im a silly goose

fs8frenzy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Pump Scout has a little dick.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 PM #57
xsn0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
You are correct in the fact that you get uneven "layers" but that is what you want. That is what makes the differnet pretty colors. i don't know if layers is the best word either, let say diffenerent deposition density. The instrument is set up to to allow a variable deposition of Ti onto the surface, that is one of the reasons no 2 arouras are the same. The thing is, the machines can be set up to give a very even controled density on the surface aswell, imagine the aroura look but with only one color, like gold or the blue or green over the entire gun.
Hmm, see I figured when it was solid colors it was just really thick, and it needed to be a certain thickness to get an aurora effect. Your explanation makes much more sense.
IMP Parts Sale!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:03 PM #58
xsn0man

Quote:
Well I have a good idea about the sort of pump your talking about, and I would imagine that its probably easier to get a more even coating than it is to create the aroura effect, I'm curious as to how thats done, but that is probably the most secret content out there.

What I am actually curious about is, if its not oxidized through ano, what do you need to do. Pure ti clearly needs to react with something to change color.

I really have no interest in stealing the process, but I am curious, as with xsn0man.
'Cause its not pure Ti.
IMP Parts Sale!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 PM #59
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

actually, now that I think about it, it very well could be pure Ti. If its not then thats out of concerns for durability, not color. I wish I knew more about this sort of deposition, but thats what college is for, right .

Cutstep or step child, any way you could confirm my suspicions through pm, and possibly disclose what compound it is that resides on the surfaces of those guns?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM #60
xsn0man

Well, its not Ti to start. Whats deposited well could be pure Ti, but I am 98% sure it is not. Molecular compounds often dont dissociate with just sublimation or ablation.
IMP Parts Sale!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM #61
gyroscope

I am guessing that the uneven deposition occurs because of the geometry of a baffle used inside the reactor. It seems like the baffle that would get an even coating would be more difficult than what you would need to make the flow more chaotic.

Dirt Products Anodizing
Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM #62
xsn0man

See I was thinking that one of the whole positives of using vapor deposition was the ability to easily get a relatively smooth molecular coating because of the way charged particles align and grow...
I guess not?
IMP Parts Sale!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 AM #63
gyroscope

I am not the one doing Aurora, so you might be right. :shrug:

Dirt Products Anodizing
Closed Thread