Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM #1
riceboy927
Balling Since 08

riceboy927 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
riceboy927 supports Team VICIOUS
riceboy927 plays in the APPA beginner division
riceboy927 supports Empire
Mental game of paintball

All the time I see threads about posts about the physical aspect of paintball. Dieting, weights, playing tips and the like.

However coming from an NCAA athlete I have come to wonder about the mental came about the sports. The pros are all good, thats a given, but thats when the mental aspect of paintball comes into play. Believing that you worked for that title, D5 or Pro. I know this can in a way apply to rec ball, depending on how you look at it.

But my question is what do pros/tournament players think and focus on when really dialing down to focus on high level play?

The fact that I owned a gun for 8 hours before I traded it again proves I'm a gun whore.
riceboy927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM #2
PBFR33K187
paint<3ball

PBFR33K187 plays in the APPA D4 division
PBFR33K187 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kill or be killed
PBFR33K187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM #3
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Playing as a team, communicating, etc.

Coaching and game plans also become very important. You have to predict what the opposing team is going to do.

Last edited by BurningPlaydoh : 10-25-2013 at 02:33 PM.
BurningPlaydoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM #4
T_Shoff
"The Bouncer"

T_Shoff has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
T_Shoff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
T_Shoff supports Empire
As a runner, I know running is 10% physical, 90% mental. Paintball its probably nearly the same.

In my eyes you don't have to be the most fit guy or gal out there to play well.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 PM #5
crisscross1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Shoff View Post
As a runner, I know running is 10% physical, 90% mental. Paintball its probably nearly the same.

In my eyes you don't have to be the most fit guy or gal out there to play well.
Yeah I seem to be supernaturally gifted i'm between 320 and 330 pounds and that's not pure muscle if you catch my meaning plus I very rarely exercise yet when my gear isn't slowing me down I always out run all the other players at the break by a significant margin, I used to run a remote line but I have gotten sick of how it slows me down when i'm running because of the Co2 bottle banging around on my back and slipping down plus with a remote line I couldn't slide roll or whatever into a bunker as well.

I also always try to be the furthest up the field and I have a rule that if the game is about to end I charge even if it's just me vs a dozen people sometimes it fails but not always in one of the last games I played last week we had a minute left I tried to get my team mates to back me up including some speedball players but they where content to sit on their *** and let the clock run out resulting in a loss so I charged the incredibly fortified enemy base that had about 15 players in it I someone managed it I took out several players and got in the base I was 10 seconds away from securing the objective before the clock ran out if I had the 10 seconds I could have taken it before they could have realized what happened and taken me out.

Other times it has worked better one time I did a run through up the whole field taking out the whole remaining team taking the objective and running back to tie their flag to mine with about 5 seconds to spare.

Last edited by crisscross1993 : 10-25-2013 at 06:12 PM.
crisscross1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 PM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Playing the game mentally is definitely an aspect of paintball from Pro level tourneys to regular weekend warrior rec game. Like you alluded to, most all sport are.
All sorts of mental aspects can be applied to the game. Drawing out over aggressive players and forcing them to make a bad move. Applying a sense of intimidation to other players and getting them to hesitate and second guess their game. Altering your game play dependent on the size, weight and/or ability of your equipment. Those just a few of the mental aspects that can be applied to the game.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote