PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM #1
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

DM6 KILLA helped look for balloons
private made me call him sir

my friend eric recently graduated from basic in the marines.

he came to my school to assist in a uniform inspection..

his blues had private stripes on them so i called him private, then he chewed my *** out about how he is a "PFC" and i need to address him as private first class, and not private. and if i didnt call him private first class i had to call him sir. now i know that in the army you call people by private or sergeant unless they're a 1SG or a Sergeant Major.

its not like you go around saying "good morning Sergeant First Class"

I'm not too fimiliar with the marines but im pretty sure you don't call a private sir, wheather or not I'm a cadet or not
BostonBrutality #5
www.comittedpaintball.com
www.allstarrpaintball.com
.OG Sandana Owners Club. Educate Yourself.
VSB
DM6 KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM #2
tavery1

If they are only a private they have NO stripes on their sleeve's. One stripe is PFC
Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM #3
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

ohh.

woops, well still can't i call him private for short?
BostonBrutality #5
VSB
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM #4
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
you don't but if you're a recruit you do call any one with any TIS Sir. Since you Cadets are like recruits you would call him Sir.

Also we have more then 2 names for all our ranks. So we call a Pvt a private, a PFC, PFC, and Lcpl a Lance or Lcpl. a Cpl a Cpl and a Sgt a Sgt, and a Staff Sgt a Staff Sgt. So on and So on, but we can call a GySgt a Gunny (as long as they're ok with it.) then a Master Sgt a Top (if they're ok with it) and so on. We don't call all E5-E8 one name.

He was wrong/right. If I was dealing with cadets like that I'd make them call me Sir.

No call him a PFC or Sir since you're not in.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 10-22-2008 at 05:34 PM.
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:17 PM #5
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
He was right about all but one thing - As someone affiliated with the Army you would only ever call an officer (or warrant) 'sir'... even if that is how they would be addressed in their respective branch. I actually have experienced this reg firsthand, since we were attached to a Marine unit. We followed our own customs and courtesies, i.e. calling every sergeant E-5 - E-8 just 'Sergeant'. They followed their respective c+c by referring to our individual ranks.
But yes his rank would be PFC not 'private'. However you could call an Army PFC 'private' - although I would not do so unless you outrank that individual.
So... you should address him as 'PFC'.

Last edited by berserker19 : 10-22-2008 at 03:20 PM.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:18 PM #6
MetDTHero
Raising the Knife

MetDTHero supports our troops
*top =\= tom

The GDT>PbN
Gogged Paintball

MetDTHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM #7
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

thanks guys, yeah because it tells us in the book to call everyone by their rank as if they were in the army, i wasent fimiliar with the rules and regs of the marines, so i just went by the way i knew.

and if you knew him you would know he only wanted me to call him sir so he looked "big" he was an army cadet for 2 years, he knows what is expected of us. he's just full of himself..
BostonBrutality #5
VSB
Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM #8
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetDTHero View Post
*top =\= tom

I meant Top I hit the M instead my bad.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM #9
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
Big P is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Big P donated to help Peyton Trent
Big P supports Bob Gurnsey
Big P supports our troops
Ahhh, another fond memory from my past. I cant remember why, but there was a bunch of cadets in Korea back in 87 being shown around by a Senior NCO and a 03. I was walking near our BN CSM on some detail, and when we passed the BN CSM threw the Captain a salute and went about his business, well one of the cadets popped off to Sergeant Major that he should have held his salute until they all had passed as they all outranked him.

Let me tell you!! I was scared when that man when the **** off on EVERYONE who was there. Dragged them into a building to find a rank chart and showed them their place in life...NOT ON THE RANK CHART! He then called the BN Commander to explain to the O3 how unhappy he had made Sergeant Major in his AO. A bad day indeed.

Now im done wandering down memory lane.

If it works, take it apart and find out why.

I do not take PMs in regards to duties as a Mod. Please post all questions about this subject to the TTMA section.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM #10
bigpurpcron

guess what if your a civie you can callhim whatever the **** you want to call him. ****ing marines have a chip on their shoulder
bigpurpcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM #11
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
Big P is a Supporting Member
Big P donated to help Peyton Trent
Big P supports Bob Gurnsey
Big P supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpurpcron View Post
guess what if your a civie you can callhim whatever the **** you want to call him. ****ing marines have a chip on their shoulder
So want to make the point of your post a bit more clear? It just sounds like a flame, or post spam, but would like to see if I just missed your point.

If it works, take it apart and find out why.

I do not take PMs in regards to duties as a Mod. Please post all questions about this subject to the TTMA section.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM #12
The_Hawk
There Is No Society

The_Hawk is reppin' sidebar 4 life
The_Hawk is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
In the Corps at Virginia Tech, all NCOs are called by their rank and not by "sir." Sir is reserved for officers only, unless you don't know their rank.
Let's jam

"Originally posted by pok3ypuppy: LOL SOMEBODY SHOULD SIG THIS."
The_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM #13
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

im pretty sure cadets are civilians but then again we're like 50/50. it sounds stupid but we are sworn in like every branch of service.

but that aside, i always thought no matter what branch you were in you only called someone sir if they were an officer.. thats what pissed me off. this kid is really really arrogant, like when he was a cadet he transfered to my school from another school. and his old school did not send his records over. so put all this **** on his uniform that we have never even seen.. and **** he didnt earn. he bought all these ribbons and medals and some rifle thing that looks like a cadet version of an infantry badge. and he never earned any of it. so i can only imagine what he was lying about today..

he marked me off points on my inspection because i didnt use shoe shine on the sole of my shoe, i was under the impression that in the army seeng we have patent leather shoes that only need to be cleaned with windex and water didnt have to be shined on the sole. but he went off about how the army sucks and we're all lazy and never follow reg. and it pissed me off but i didnt want to start a screaming match with him because it makes me look bad as the company commander.
BostonBrutality #5
VSB
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM #14
berserker19

He is only a boot grad.. which is about one level higher than pure crap, so don't take him too seriously. He is in that 'uber moto' stage where he thinks he is the man and needs to get his *** broken down. You don't ever shine the soles of a shoe/boot and to my knowledge there isn't any authorized footwear left that can be shined with polish... He isn't even in any position to conduct an inspection of anybody since he isn't an NCO.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 PM #15
udflyer (Banned)
kByram

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
you don't but if you're a recruit you do call any one with any TIS Sir. Since you Cadets are like recruits you would call him Sir.

Also we have more then 2 names for all our ranks. So we call a Pvt a private, a PFC, PFC, and Lcpl a Lance or Lcpl. a Cpl a Cpl and a Sgt a Sgt, and a Staff Sgt a Staff Sgt. So on and So on, but we can call a GySgt a Gunny (as long as they're ok with it.) then a Master Sgt a Top (if they're ok with it) and so on. We don't call all E5-E8 one name.

He was wrong/right. If I was dealing with cadets like that I'd make them call me Sir.

No call him a PFC or Sir since you're not in.
cadets do not call enlisted sir, we had enlisted tell us we had to and the smackdown came soon after. They may call them by their rank or sir if you prefer but you dont have to call anyone sir except officers. Especially if you are in civies, when in rotc uniform your basically enlisted. during my jr year was a A1C, senior year was equivalent senior airmen by my military id

Last edited by udflyer : 10-22-2008 at 08:58 PM.
udflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 PM #16
iamaparanoidperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 KILLA View Post
my friend eric recently graduated from basic in the marines.

he came to my school to assist in a uniform inspection..

his blues had private stripes on them so i called him private, then he chewed my *** out about how he is a "PFC" and i need to address him as private first class, and not private. and if i didnt call him private first class i had to call him sir. now i know that in the army you call people by private or sergeant unless they're a 1SG or a Sergeant Major.

its not like you go around saying "good morning Sergeant First Class"

I'm not too fimiliar with the marines but im pretty sure you don't call a private sir, wheather or not I'm a cadet or not

he earned the title. you have not...so, call him by his proper rank.

BUT you are not going through Marine Corps basic training...i do not think you should call him sir.

he is right. The Marine Corps is not the damn Army. We call each other by the rank we have earned...i know if i was in the Army and i was a master sgt i would ***** slap the first kid who called me ****ing sargee or srgnt.

Last edited by iamaparanoidperson : 10-22-2008 at 09:02 PM.
iamaparanoidperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM #17
iamaparanoidperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by udflyer View Post
cadets do not call enlisted sir, we had enlisted tell us we had to and the smackdown came soon after. They may call them by their rank or sir if you prefer but you dont have to call anyone sir except officers. Especially if you are in civies, when in rotc uniform your basically enlisted. during my jr year was a A1C, senior year was equivalent senior airmen by my military id

really? like enlisted? I never saw any dead, dying, wounded, or maimed cadets in Iraq or Afghanistan. I also don't see you suffering through the training and bull**** that we do.

So DO NOT talk that **** about how you are like us.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 PM #18
udflyer (Banned)
kByram

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaparanoidperson View Post
really? like enlisted? I never saw any dead, dying, wounded, or maimed cadets in Iraq or Afghanistan. I also don't see you suffering through the training and bull**** that we do.

So DO NOT talk that **** about how you are like us.
Im not a cadet. How we were taught when I was a cadet. If you dont like it tough, become a cadet. nobody forced you to enlist
Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 PM #19
berserker19

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaparanoidperson View Post
i know if i was in the Army and i was a master sgt i would ***** slap the first kid who called me ****ing sargee or srgnt.
The proper address in the Army for a MSG is 'sergeant'...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM #20
iamaparanoidperson

i know it is acceptable. I never called the ones at Ft Meade that and half of them thanked me for using their full rank.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM #21
udflyer (Banned)
kByram

It jsut comes down to the fact that we all want to do our own thing, then peolpe get mad when others dont do the same thing (in this case call them by same thing). Yes a SNCO should be senior, msgt, chief, etc. not just sgt.

I actually talked abotu this just the other day with our shirt. He said callin him senior or SMsgt is fine, at least in teh AF. How you all do it i wouldnt know. Im not around you