PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 PM #1
tacxplosion

tacxplosion has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tacxplosion supports Ninja Paintball
SLG animation

I know it's not the smoothest animation, but I wasn't going to make 20+ frames, when 15 (give or take) gives you a pretty good idea of what's going on during the cycle. I made this using ZDSPB's PMR animation as a base in MS paint and an online .gif maker.

It seemed wrong to me that STBB's should have a widely available animation, but not the SLG (which has it's quirks, but is still a functional design as far as I can tell, just poorly executed).

This is for the '09 SLG/SLG UL

Last edited by tacxplosion : 02-28-2016 at 12:15 AM.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2016, 01:05 PM #2
bumsdeclaf

thanks for this. seems like it initially gets sent back with pressure on the rear o-ring but then the weep hole starts to leak and somehow it still makes it to the plunger.
bumsdeclaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM #3
tacxplosion

tacxplosion has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tacxplosion supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsdeclaf View Post
seems like it initially gets sent back with pressure on the rear o-ring but then the weep hole starts to leak and somehow it still makes it to the plunger.
That is indeed what happens, pressure from the front is constant against the sail o-ring, unlike most other dump valve markers.

The bleed hole is partially isolated while the bolt is forward, but once the hole gets past the air inlet on the rearward stroke, it starts leaking more; the pressure differential of the LP air Vs the empty valve chamber drives the bolt backwards very fast, even with that small leak, accounting for the relatively high efficiency of the valve design. In the end the bleed hole goes past the bolt pin and feeds the valve chamber.

The valve opens and closes very fast which accounts for the loud pop signature of the marker without the muffler. The muffler is IMO a half assed fix to a design problem, it strips the air burst from a considerable part of it's energy and retards the pressure differential, making it more likely for the bolt not to reset completely and go full auto, as the infamous youtube video demonstrates.

IMO a FASOR spool valve would've been a better fix, slow to open and fast to close, it could've quieted the sound signature down without sacrificing energy transfer, retaining the efficiency (think automag, but with a lower OP and an appropriately sized valve chamber).
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote