Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-16-2014, 05:35 PM #1
Hadrien

SLG 08 leaking from set screw plug on right side of body

Maybe you guys will have a better idea on how to fix this than I do. I decided to clean and change all of the orings on my 08 SLG after letting a buddies kid borrow it for a few months. He is young and I didn't explain how to maintain the marker properly to him when he borrowed it since it is my loaner gun.

I got the gun back and it was caked with paint and mud, inside and out. So I figured it was a good time to replace all of the major orings and just give it a good cleaning.

After replacing all of the major orings on the bolt and back cap, as well as in reg reg, I aired it up and it began to leak from the port on the front with the set screw plug in it. See pic below.

I have never had a gun leak from this type of set screw plug / port before. I decided to investigate, so I removed the set screw and found that there was quite a bit of paint in the threads and that some of the threads looked worn out. Very odd considering that it was not leaking when I gave it to him and I KNOW that he did not wrench on it. I went ahead and replaced the screw with a new one and aired it back up again, this time it leaked even worse.

I have quite a few of these 10-32 set screws around, so I grabbed another new one, put some blue loctite on it and put it back in, letting it sit for a few hours before airing it up again. This time the leak "almost" stopped but I can still hear it if I put my ear to where the set screw is.

Am I missing something obvious here? It does not seem like this is an area where an oring would go for a seal. If the screw cannot seal this port I guess this means the threads are bad and the body is shot? If a decent amount of blue loctite cannot seal such a leak, I would not imagine teflon tape would do any better (but maybe I am wrong)?

Has anyone else had such a leak crop up on their SLG?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 PM #2
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Maybe you guys will have a better idea on how to fix this than I do. I decided to clean and change all of the orings on my 08 SLG after letting a buddies kid borrow it for a few months. He is young and I didn't explain how to maintain the marker properly to him when he borrowed it since it is my loaner gun.

I got the gun back and it was caked with paint and mud, inside and out. So I figured it was a good time to replace all of the major orings and just give it a good cleaning.

After replacing all of the major orings on the bolt and back cap, as well as in reg reg, I aired it up and it began to leak from the port on the front with the set screw plug in it. See pic below.

I have never had a gun leak from this type of set screw plug / port before. I decided to investigate, so I removed the set screw and found that there was quite a bit of paint in the threads and that some of the threads looked worn out. Very odd considering that it was not leaking when I gave it to him and I KNOW that he did not wrench on it. I went ahead and replaced the screw with a new one and aired it back up again, this time it leaked even worse.

I have quite a few of these 10-32 set screws around, so I grabbed another new one, put some blue loctite on it and put it back in, letting it sit for a few hours before airing it up again. This time the leak "almost" stopped but I can still hear it if I put my ear to where the set screw is.

Am I missing something obvious here? It does not seem like this is an area where an oring would go for a seal. If the screw cannot seal this port I guess this means the threads are bad and the body is shot? If a decent amount of blue loctite cannot seal such a leak, I would not imagine teflon tape would do any better (but maybe I am wrong)?

Has anyone else had such a leak crop up on their SLG?

you're not either

A: using enough loctite/letting it sit for a full 24 hours

B: try using teflon sometimes the added thickness will seal it up

i HIGHLY doubt it's anything more then that. as it's just air passage way

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:02 PM #3
Hadrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss429 View Post
you're not either

A: using enough loctite/letting it sit for a full 24 hours

B: try using teflon sometimes the added thickness will seal it up

i HIGHLY doubt it's anything more then that. as it's just air passage way
Yeah, I don't know what else it could be. I was surprised to find paint and some minor rust on the set screw that was already in there. I am guessing moisture and paint SOMEHOW got in there to create the corrosion.

I was thinking about chasing the threads with a 10-32 tap, and then putting a decent amount of blue loctite on a new screw and letting it sit for 24 hours like you recommended grss429. I swear I remember someone saying that worked when you want to make sure the threads are clean in something, but I cannot find the quote on the boards here. I could be wrong though. Putting a tap into a threaded hole where both are the same size shouldn't damage anything. At least I hope it won't.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote