Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM #22
Jenious
Alaskan Paintballer
 
Jenious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado/Alaska
Jenious is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_friccero View Post
im talking about down in kodiak
Oh you mean in k land. My bad.
__________________
Man made god
Jenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM #23
JordanT
Don't Stop, Won't Stop
 
JordanT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogunner View Post
for the player base to support a field we would have to get a ton of new players

Thus the reason I started this thread...

There have been few suggestions that actually entail what I started this thread for. The bottom-line is that paintball in Alaska is struggling and I feel we should strive to introduce more players to the sport. Opening ANOTHER field is not going to help in any way as there are already several decently run fields in the state, so all of those suggestions are useless in terms of bringing more people to the field.

I have often thought about the idea of 'guerrilla advertising' as Brent put it. I don't think I have truly seen fliers posted at a significant amount (if any...) of locations around town as to the opening of the field or an upcoming tournament. I am curious as to how many people actually know there are several fields in south-central Alaska.

There is also already a 3 man portion of the tournament series. It was initially designed to get the 'beginner' teams involved, but as the interest for the sport seems to have recently dropped off in our area, so has the turn out for even the three man tournaments. I remember in 2004 when it would be NORMAL to see around 20 three man teams show up for a tournament, that is what I am looking to get back to.

While people list the reason of a dip in the economy and higher gas prices, prices to get involved in the sport of paintball have been dropping severely. The prices of paint, while not plummeting, have been dropping and the influx as to the numbers of markers on the market has exuberantly dropped marker prices (both new and used). This is a great time to get individuals interested into the sport, it is just a matter of how, whether it be advertising, a 'noob' day with discounts or what. I'm not saying I know the answer, I am just saying that it would be beneficial for us all if we got more people involved. So... start thinking of logical ideas to get more people to play!

And... I am betting there are about five people who actually read, in its entirety, everything I just typed (and I bet I could name them).
JordanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM #24
e_friccero
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
e_friccero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AK to CA
e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenious View Post
Oh you mean in k land. My bad.
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanT View Post
Thus the reason I started this thread...

There have been few suggestions that actually entail what I started this thread for. The bottom-line is that paintball in Alaska is struggling and I feel we should strive to introduce more players to the sport. Opening ANOTHER field is not going to help in any way as there are already several decently run fields in the state, so all of those suggestions are useless in terms of bringing more people to the field.

I have often thought about the idea of 'guerrilla advertising' as Brent put it. I don't think I have truly seen fliers posted at a significant amount (if any...) of locations around town as to the opening of the field or an upcoming tournament. I am curious as to how many people actually know there are several fields in south-central Alaska.

There is also already a 3 man portion of the tournament series. It was initially designed to get the 'beginner' teams involved, but as the interest for the sport seems to have recently dropped off in our area, so has the turn out for even the three man tournaments. I remember in 2004 when it would be NORMAL to see around 20 three man teams show up for a tournament, that is what I am looking to get back to.

While people list the reason of a dip in the economy and higher gas prices, prices to get involved in the sport of paintball have been dropping severely. The prices of paint, while not plummeting, have been dropping and the influx as to the numbers of markers on the market has exuberantly dropped marker prices (both new and used). This is a great time to get individuals interested into the sport, it is just a matter of how, whether it be advertising, a 'noob' day with discounts or what. I'm not saying I know the answer, I am just saying that it would be beneficial for us all if we got more people involved. So... start thinking of logical ideas to get more people to play!

And... I am betting there are about five people who actually read, in its entirety, everything I just typed (and I bet I could name them).
TDRL?
lol
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM #25
JordanT
Don't Stop, Won't Stop
 
JordanT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Jenious is a smart man...
JordanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 PM #26
dirty907
Say my name!
 
dirty907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Island in Alaska
dirty907 is a Supporting Member
Jordan, you just referred to "several fields in southcentral AK" I know of 3, 907pb, wasilla splatterhouse, and the woodsball field pbhell... are there more?
__________________
Pump!
dirty907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 PM #27
ghettogunner
Simple.
 
ghettogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alaska
Noob day sounds good , i know that when i first started bryce gave me a discount when i brought some friends
as for advertising i think if we got a couple radio mcs to come tryout paintball and give shoutouts , couple that with a group discount and some fliers and that should get at least a couple ppl to show up
__________________
Ripper Pump
ghettogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 PM #28
ghettogunner
Simple.
 
ghettogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alaska
We could try making a video advertisement for a noob day tournament , put some gunfights , dives , and good music pass it around myspace , put it on craigslist , local forums etc.
__________________
Ripper Pump
ghettogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:58 PM #29
JordanT
Don't Stop, Won't Stop
 
JordanT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
sev·er·al /ˈsɛvərəl, ˈsɛvrəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sev-er-uhl, sev-ruhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind: several ways of doing it.
Ryan, you are correct, there are three (ie: several). lol
JordanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 AM #30
dirty907
Say my name!
 
dirty907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Island in Alaska
dirty907 is a Supporting Member
heh, I always thought of 3 as a "few" after about 5 it was several.. suppose I should learn how to use my vocabulary.

back on topic... as players, all we can do is try to bring more new people with us. I encourage that here, but its not that easy right now since we dont currently have a set field further adding to our lack of ballers.
__________________
Pump!
dirty907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM #31
e_friccero
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
e_friccero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AK to CA
e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty907 View Post
heh, I always thought of 3 as a "few" after about 5 it was several.. suppose I should learn how to use my vocabulary.

back on topic... as players, all we can do is try to bring more new people with us. I encourage that here, but its not that easy right now since we dont currently have a set field further adding to our lack of ballers.
doesnt really matter anyways
we've been averaging like 3 people for the last year now
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 PM #32
JordanT
Don't Stop, Won't Stop
 
JordanT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Again, that is the point of this thread. To get more people in Alaska involved in paintball. Just a thought/idea that I think would bring some more enjoyment to the sport we all love.
JordanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM #33
Kurupt310
Narro Verum
 
Kurupt310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Alaska
Kurupt310 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Kurupt310 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
One thing that I think contributed to the decline in new players is the competitive nature of the MSTS "Novice" division over the past few years (not last summer, there was no distinction). I think it turned more into "Guys that have no shot of winning the open division," when it should have been for new players.

The problem kind of cascaded onto itself, sandbaggin in a 10 team tourney with a cash prize ment you could possibly be playing for free. That was appealing.
__________________
Kurupt310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM #34
hrtbrk11
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
hrtbrk11 helped look for balloons
hrtbrk11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
we've been talking about trying a tippmann cup this year, but i think we should work on some radio advertising with discounts for large groups of people or bring a newb day. maybe everyone could chip in or something and get an ad up at like one of the championship aces games. just some ideas
hrtbrk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM #35
ghettogunner
Simple.
 
ghettogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtbrk11 View Post
we've been talking about trying a tippmann cup this year, but i think we should work on some radio advertising with discounts for large groups of people or bring a newb day. maybe everyone could chip in or something and get an ad up at like one of the championship aces games. just some ideas
__________________
Ripper Pump
ghettogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM #36
Kurupt310
Narro Verum
 
Kurupt310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Alaska
Kurupt310 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Kurupt310 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Good idea, but the flaw is "maybe everyone could chip in or something." People don't give money away, much less poor *** paintballers.
__________________
Kurupt310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 PM #37
ghettogunner
Simple.
 
ghettogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alaska
yeah must have missed that part..........but the rest still
__________________
Ripper Pump
ghettogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM #38
hrtbrk11
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
hrtbrk11 helped look for balloons
hrtbrk11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
yeah i know its a flaw but getting advertising for something like a championship aces game isn't cheap for anyone. another idea is like around the start of it talk to todd and maybe like get some of us to volunteer to hand out coupons that say "buy 2 cases of paint and you get your rental gun for $10" at carrs or fred meyers or something like that.
hrtbrk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM #39
Kurupt310
Narro Verum
 
Kurupt310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Alaska
Kurupt310 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Kurupt310 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Getting the word out would not be hard, many stores (even the big ones) have bulletin boards that flyers can be put up at. Just a matter of getting people to spam the hell out of places advertising some sort of special.

I do like the bring a nood idea.
__________________
Kurupt310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM #40
ghettogunner
Simple.
 
ghettogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alaska
i dont think too many ppl look at the bulletin boards .......but if we handed them out to business owners who own something man-oriented that could work.....sporting goods stores , pizza places ,Car shops , gun shops etc.
If we can pitch the idea well enough we might even be able to get prize donations for tournaments from them

Noob event + Legit Prizes = noobs {or just a bunch of scenario guys crawling out of their mudhole fields}
__________________
Ripper Pump

Last edited by ghettogunner : 10-21-2008 at 08:49 PM.
ghettogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM #41
dirty907
Say my name!
 
dirty907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Island in Alaska
dirty907 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurupt310 View Post
I do like the bring a nood idea.

Me too. we need noodz. female ones. playing paintball...
__________________
Pump!
dirty907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM #42
ghettogunner
Simple.
 
ghettogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alaska
now theres some marketing genious for ya !
but i say we dont let ryan pick them , otherwise it would be guerilla marketing

{ i know , i know reallly bad pun}
__________________
Ripper Pump
ghettogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump