Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM #1
topgogogo

if u have 10000$

now u only have 10000$,what will do?buy something or put it into investment or other thing...please write down...just a small talk,hehe...
topgogogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 PM #2
mulletstation

has been a member for 10 years
I'd buy mud

justinwb: "Thats great.......I dont really care what you think, you arent part of my target audience. My target audience would be someone with an IQ over 120." http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8254/outx.jpg
mulletstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM #3
pimp3leet
FeartheBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletstation View Post
I'd buy mud
I would buy dirt and just wait until it rained.
That way I might save a few dollars.

653, 372, 68
pimp3leet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM #4
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

I would buy land on the moon and wait until we colonize it.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM #5
ghostcell

Blow it all on coke.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM #6
1leggedballer

ha I have this for a econ paper lol
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 AM #7
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leggedballer View Post
ha I have this for a econ paper lol
that's a ****ty question for an econ paper.

And it's just a ****ty question. There are so many options that can be based in many different assumptions you might make. Anyway -

If you had 10,000 dollars spending it on an asset might be considered an investment if that asset can make a greater return than its cost.

If you had 10,000 dollars you might want to invest it in securities.

If you had 10,000 dollars, you might take out a loan, buy something now, and invest the 10,000 you have in securities or put it in a savings account depending on the amount of risk you are willing to take on and expected return based on current market conditions.

If you had 10,000 dollars you might simply spend all of it if it means little to you to have 10,000 dollars or if you are not looking to increase your total wealth.

If you are simply looking to increase your wealth than you must do differential analysis of the NPV of each decision which will allow you to choose the decision which will increase your wealth by the greatest amount proportional to the amount of risk you are undertaking. This is typically called the "opportunity cost" of your decision. If the opportunity cost of one decision is less than another it is advisable to take the decision with lower opportunity costs.

Well go over each possibility with simplified explanations in order to better understand how one can make decisions.

1) If you don't currently have a car you might work at a job close to your house or close to a bus route. This job (Job A) might currently pay 8.00 per hour. But, you see on craigslist that you can get a job (Job B) paying 20.00 per hour, but you need a car. We'll use the current discount rate of 1.75% to evaluate NPV. Hours per week is 40, 52 weeks per year, yearly wage (if you worked everyday of the year, since we'll assume you'd work the same number of days so it is irrelevant how many days you actually worked) of 16440 for Job A, and Job B is 41,600. We'll also make the assumption that buying a car at 10,000 dollars will give you the best reliability at the lowest cost. So lets evaluate how spending the 10,000 initially is actually a positive investment. We'll estimate gas will cost approximately 3,000 per year.

For Job A, you are required to make no investment. You walk back and forth to work everyday with no problems. So, your total Revenue for 1 year will be 16440 (discount taxes as it only complicates the situation). We'll also simplify by saying you get paid in one lump sum at the end of the year since incorporating cash flow and compounding of interest etc... would only further complicate the problem. So you make 16440 per year at Job A. We then discount that by 1.0175 to find the PV of 16440. So the PV of 16440 is 16157 (when rounded to the nearest whole number). the NPV of Job A is 16157. If you take job B you'll make 41,600 dollars. The PV of 41,600 dollars is 40885 dollars. Subtract 10,000 dollars for the cost of the car the your NPV of Job B is 30,885 dollars per year. So we see that the initial investment of 10,000 dollars still yielded a positive differential NPV of 14728 dollars.

2) Ok, so we see how acquiring an asset can be used to increase wealth by allowing you to take another Job which has higher payment that covers and exceeds the cost of the initial investment as well as the opportunity cost of quitting your current job that makes just 8.00 per hour. But, what if, instead of quitting your current Job at 8.00 an hour and buying a car worth 10,000 dollars, you could invest that 10,000 and generate a higher rate of return on that 10,000 dollars in one year that was greater than the return you would get if you took Job B. See, because when you saw the Job B listing, the hourly wage was misstated. Instead of 20.00 per hour you only made 15.00 per hour. At this wage rate you still yield a positive NPV of 5025.

If you, however, determined through information you had, that the NPV of investing and keeping your current job - purchasing a new car and taking Job B at 15.00 per hour was greater than 5025 (in one year) than you should choose to go with the investment. However there is more risk involved in an investment. If you determine that the risk (risk is determined by using historical data to determine the variance of return rates of a portfolio) is too great because you do not currently hold a strong financial position you may choose still to take Job B since you have determined you cannot afford to take on a high amount of risk that NPV may not exceed that of buying the car and taking the new Job.

3) In the situation I've been explaining, this third choice might be your best option. You might be able to employ a buy-and-hold strategy that yields a greater overall return than your cost of interest on the loan. This is a win-win situation. Not only can you a) get a new car b) increase wealth with a higher paying job you can actually cover and exceed the cost of interest by having a portfolio which will allow you to do so in a reasonable amount of time.

Remember these are fairly simplified and glib explanations. Look up opportunity cost and net Present Value and you should get some fairly concise explanations.
Frank112916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 AM #8
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If I had 10,000 dollars I'd buy 10,000 lotto tickets and cross my fingers.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 AM #9
TheDudeAbides (Banned)
Hip 2 be Square

I'd try cooking it.
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM #10
pballer182
Is On A Cruise

buy drugs, sell drugs, repeat
pballer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM #11
t_mo (Banned)
Baller Status

I would put it into a low cost S&P 500 index fund.
t_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:48 AM #12
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
I would buy a house.

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM #13
Frank112916

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_mo View Post
I would put it into a low cost S&P 500 index fund.
Only if you're executing a very long term buy and hold strategy. Personally with the way the economy is right now I'd be hesitant to purchase an S&P index fund if 10,000 is the bulk of your current wealth, especially considering most analysts predict prices haven't hit bottom yet and there really is no clear sign of reversal of the current downward trend.

Also, t-mo I saw you talking in the stock thread about the presidential election. I'd say stock prices currently reflect the prospect of Obama winning the election considering he has a >6 pt lead. I'd be careful to speculate that current prices aren't.

Last edited by Frank112916 : 10-30-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Frank112916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM #14
N i C k

I would drop it into the stock market, rather then put it into a savings account. If I ever really needed the money it would be there for me, if not..**** it invest.
N i C k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM #15
topgogogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen View Post
I would buy land on the moon and wait until we colonize it.
but i think buy land on the moon may make u bankrupt!hehe..
Old 11-01-2008, 01:23 PM #16
t_mo (Banned)
Baller Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
Only if you're executing a very long term buy and hold strategy. Personally with the way the economy is right now I'd be hesitant to purchase an S&P index fund if 10,000 is the bulk of your current wealth, especially considering most analysts predict prices haven't hit bottom yet and there really is no clear sign of reversal of the current downward trend.

Also, t-mo I saw you talking in the stock thread about the presidential election. I'd say stock prices currently reflect the prospect of Obama winning the election considering he has a >6 pt lead. I'd be careful to speculate that current prices aren't.
The stock market is a forward looking indicator. As you said the global slow down is priced in. I think US equities are the most attractive asset class at this very second.

I think there will be a rally with a lot of volume and conviction. Market sentiment is very negative because of uncertainty. When we decide on our president there will be more certainty.

Do I think we have bottomed... No, but we are due for a 1-3 month rally and I am positioning myself accordingly.
t_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:00 PM #17
Carnagge

I would do low cost mutal funds with a .80 load on class a shares.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 PM #18
topgogogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm3000 View Post
I would buy a house.
oh~guy!u just only have 10000$,do u think that is enough?maybe u can buy a "wash-room"...hehe...
maybe it is a good chioce to have a trip...