PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM #1
brydude92
pbFASHION

An Honest Review

My name is Bryan and this is a zero B.S. review:

Today I was playing pump with some of my friends and one of them had a Save Phace mask, I have seen some pictures of the masks and have seen some teams wearing them, I liked the way they looked, they were intimidating and attractive, the designs looked great. So my friend took it out of his car and my initial reaction was "Thats a nice looking mask," of course i knew by the looks of it, it was made of hard plastic, I have also seen people on here complaining about how hard they are.

I got over the hardness factor and put them on to where it was comfortable for me. Also it matters that I say this, my friend had modded soft ears onto the mask because if he did not, the ear exposure situation would have been much worse than what will be described. We are in the staging area, mind you, and my friend, the mask owner, asks me if I was going to lower the mask. I asked why and he brought me over to a window so I can understand why lowering it would be necessary, I saw what he meant. My bottom lip was just about visual, and my ears were halfway out of the mask. If I got hit in the ear, this review would have been much more vulgar, and if I was shot in the back of the throat, I would write this from a hospital bed, because while the mask was in the comfortable position, and i opened my mouth to call out a bunker my mouth is now a possible shot to an opponent.

I put the mask in the correct position, which was about an inch down from where I had it before. The correct position caused the foam to make my nose whistle, it was constricting in that area. So i positioned it so that I could breath, but I pushed on the mask a little bit and I felt a sharp edge going into the base of my nose, I took off the mask to see what i was, and discovered two symmetrical pointed edges right where the foam ends, I had to be cautious and make sure to superman really carefully and not push on anything, or some pain would surely come.

We were at Liberty Paintball, in NY and we were going to the field called World War 2. So the one game I played with them began, I ran up pretty far up the field. There are some wooden tanks that are scattered around the field, I ran up to the one that was just about in the middle of the field off the break and was under some pretty heavy fire because I was a threat to them because I was so close to them, so needless to say I had to be on top of my game. So I was there with my pump trying to get some accurate shots off at the guys that were not much more than 50 feet in front of me, and I got a bit of fog, I never owned goggles that fogged up on me, that is no exaggeration. So I tried to steady my breathing, and breath down the mask to stop the fogging. The fog became worse not because i was breathing heavily, but my face was dispensing heat due to the closeness of the mask to my face and the low ventilation. I couldn't see a thing, i couldn't distinguish people that did not have bright yellow ref vests on. Shortly after being sight disabled I ran out of air and had to get off the field.

So this thread was not a bashing, just a story, a true story. Not one bit was changed or enhanced in any way. Save Phace please don't get upset from this, I want you to fix these problems then I will write a good review after i use it.
I created the sound of madness.
XBL: Brydude12345
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM #2
cp kid
VICIOUS OT TEAM 2009-2012

cp kid is a Paintball photographer
cp kid plays in the PSP
cp kid supports Team VICIOUS
cp kid supports our troops
cp kid is Immortal
that really ain't good
Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 PM #3
brydude92
pbFASHION

try it for yourself before making a final decision
Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM #4
cp kid
VICIOUS OT TEAM 2009-2012

cp kid is a Paintball photographer
cp kid plays in the PSP
cp kid supports our troops
cp kid is Immortal
lol. i'd rather not get shot in either ear or throat.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 PM #5
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Dont worry CP kid, i'll have my mask you can try on anytime we are the field together.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 AM #6
FNORD
Woodsballer

Yeah I believe ya Brydude. My Save Phace fogged (actually condensation) the first 2 times I wore it. I ended up removing the forehead piece to give better ventialtion. And the foam around the nose is also very badly designed, I cut some out with a small pair of scissors so it fits around my nose better.

My main concern now though is how long the paintjob actually lasts. I can already see little bits coming off...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM #7
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

neither the visor or the headguard were on the mask he tried.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM #8
brydude92
pbFASHION

wow the design job looked deciving, I actually thought it was a sturdy design but I guess not
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM #9
laxmaniac88
too busy.

I had something exactly like this happen in my profilers
hate it, you can hardly see
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 AM #10
The Real Boss
Save Phace CFO

Brydude92 - Thank you so much for giving the mask a try and for taking the time to let us know your experience. Believe me, we take all that we hear into consideration when designing future models.

To everyone else, if you like the graphics, please do give the mask a try yourself. Everyone's head, nose and face is a different size and shape as is everyone's body chemistry. We have alot of very happy and satisfied users that enjoy wearing our masks - you can read their experiences at http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2674750

Our mask does not work for 100% of the people out there. We designed it to fit 96% of the world's population. A larger mask version is in the works so that we can accommodate closer to 98-99% of the world's population. Stay tuned for more information on that in late 2009.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 PM #11
brydude92
pbFASHION

thanks man, i understand what you are saying, im glad you are working on improvments, and yes everybody should at least give this mask a try, i happen to have one of the few head structures that doesnt fit this mask correctly
Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 AM #12
crazyboarder9999

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
crazyboarder9999 supports Team VICIOUS
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Boss View Post
Brydude92 - Thank you so much for giving the mask a try and for taking the time to let us know your experience. Believe me, we take all that we hear into consideration when designing future models.

To everyone else, if you like the graphics, please do give the mask a try yourself. Everyone's head, nose and face is a different size and shape as is everyone's body chemistry. We have alot of very happy and satisfied users that enjoy wearing our masks - you can read their experiences at http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2674750

Our mask does not work for 100% of the people out there. We designed it to fit 96% of the world's population. A larger mask version is in the works so that we can accommodate closer to 98-99% of the world's population. Stay tuned for more information on that in late 2009.
you posted the same exact thing in my thread

Contact me for more information
Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 AM #13
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

i actually would like to know, if you want people to go out and try your mask, and it doesnt fit or is very uncomfy... what will YOU, as a company, do about it...

will you buy the mask back from them?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:39 PM #14
Shizbam

Shizbam donated to help Peyton Trent
Shizbam owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
These masks are even worse in the cold. I was playing an Autism benefit last weekend and a player on the other team was hit in the lens and the clips on the lens' actually snapped off inside the mask. Meanwhile his lens fell to the ground, and the game was stopped immediately.

It made us all laugh, because isn't the army using these things?

Not trying to be a douche canoe but seriously, these masks are jokes.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:01 AM #15
{OG}-Chubbs-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizbam View Post
These masks are even worse in the cold. I was playing an Autism benefit last weekend and a player on the other team was hit in the lens and the clips on the lens' actually snapped off inside the mask. Meanwhile his lens fell to the ground, and the game was stopped immediately.

It made us all laugh, because isn't the army using these things?

Not trying to be a douche canoe but seriously, these masks are jokes.

yeah that was actually my teammate that that happened to. needless to say we have now dropped save phace as a sponsor. we would send in the mask to you guys so you could diagnose the problem with the mask, but unfortunately my teammate was rather upset that he almost lost an eye due to failure of the product and threw it into the barrel fire. we have an announcement on that on our website in my sig. check it out.

word of caution, the smoke from a save phace mask is toxic, dont inhale. im not sure whats more dangerous though, wearing the mask, or breathing in its fumes while burning.

Last edited by {OG}-Chubbs- : 10-18-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 AM #16
Txvman
AKA Kodiak

has been a member for 10 years
To bad he was so upset. I'm sure Save Phace would have loved to have that mask back and diagnose why there was a failure. I played the Border Wars scenario at APC on the 11th. It was cold and rained. Except for some condensation my Save Phace worked without issue.

Since no other failures of this type have been reported it will be hard to say if it was a manufacture defect, weather related, hot gun, etc.

As far as burning it ANY plastic will give off toxic fumes. Plastic is made from petroleum.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 AM #17
{OG}-Chubbs-

yeah i would have stopped him from throwing it in the fire if i was around him when he did it. he doesnt think much when hes mad about something, but i dont really blame him much about it this time. you can ask anyone at the event that saw this happen. his lense didnt just pop out from the mask. it shot out a good 5 feet from him. if the guy shooting had pulled the trigger one more time my friend would have lost an eye.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM #18
The Real Boss
Save Phace CFO

At Save Phace, our customers’ safety is of the utmost importance. All of our masks are manufactured to meet or exceed ASTM safety standards, and we take reports like these very seriously.

We are looking into the incident that has been referenced in this post. If anyone has any additional details about this situation, please contact Jerry at 866-783-3223 ext 330 at your earliest convenience so that we may obtain more information from you.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and thank you for your help.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM #19
99GenX
Well?

The one occasion where I played with a Save Phace mask, my experience was horrible. I guess I'll toss it up to the "your head is too fat" (guess I'm in the 4% ) cover that SP uses as their generic response to a negative review. I didn't deem it necessary to make another one of these "everything went wrong" threads, although, everything did go wrong.

I look forward to trying the new design.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM #20
Waxball88
Ego♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GenX View Post
The one occasion where I played with a Save Phace mask, my experience was horrible. I guess I'll toss it up to the "your head is too fat" (guess I'm in the 4% ) cover that SP uses as their generic response to a negative review. I didn't deem it necessary to make another one of these "everything went wrong" threads, although, everything did go wrong.

I look forward to trying the new design.
Yeah my entire team of athletes and track runners are in that 4% too
Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM #21
99GenX
Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxball88 View Post
Yeah my entire team of athletes and track runners are in that 4% too
Really?

I'm fat. Maybe it's like, an upper 2%, and a lower 2%.