PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-14-2008, 10:12 AM #22
Lepley

has been a member for 10 years
old school reply

I am one of the old guys that has started playing some rec ball again and returning to some tourney ball next year. I played my first game of paintball in 1991 and my first tournament in 1994(an MSPA). I played MSPA, CFOA, NPPL and PSP as well as everything from the old Knoxville Indoor to Xball games. I retired in 2003 from paintball.

As an old guy(34) I am looking for a couple things:
1) A one day event-with other life things going on one day on the weekend all i have and SEPS is great option.

2) Geographically close- KY/TN SEPS does good hear keeps the drive time down.

3) Economical-it needs to be low cost but you can't skimp on the reffing or the venue. These have to be high value for the dollar. Those kiddos of mine end up eating some of my old fun money up.

4) Prizes-only need bragging rights trophies. If you can save a few dollars on this great. I never did play for the prizes anyway it was just icing when we got them. They are even less important to me now as the prizes are long gone but my first place trophies still inhabit the den and provide good memories. I know that some of the new local guys I play with are not interested in prizes at this point...and some of the old school guys that I know that are thinking about playing again remember that some of their best times were the old bragging rights only MSPA's we used to do.

Here is where SEPS can do something a bit different perhaps. Offer prizes to an Open class with a decent entry fee. Then offer a "bragging rights" class with a bare bones entry fee and no prizes. The divisions will economically sort themselves out. Those wanting prizes can go to the Prize Class...those just want a great day of competitive paintball can play in the "Bragging Rights" class. This way you can encourage beginners to start tourney play at a the lowest price point as they just play for trophies. And the more serious prize seeking teams can man up in the Prize class. You also can keep the costs and problems associated with classifying individuals to a minimum.

Just a suggestion and I have been away for several years so prizes may be the big draw now and if so ignore my comment. BUT I do think a bragging rights regional event with a low price point would go very well in bringing both newer players and a return of some old school from all over TN/KY.

visit www.onlypaintball.com

Last edited by Lepley : 10-14-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Lepley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM #23
Samuel/Sarah
JCity Raps

Samuel/Sarah is playing at Living Legends III
Samuel/Sarah supports Team VICIOUS
Samuel/Sarah is for the Gunfight
Unfortunetly I'm in the MS area however I've heard exceptional feed back on the (SEPS Series) and I know that supporting this and the local proshop (Action Paintball) is key

A few of us are wanting to make a few events out of the year and Saturdays are our only Real day due to the travel time involved, not factoring in finances.

We really havent had the opportunity however for the 09 Season we would like to see this happen, perhaps when all this is put together and changes are made, hopefully a few events will be scheduled on Saturdays for those who do not get the opportunity on Sundays to come out and play.

I'm a Musician in our church and Sundays there again would be harder to come by..

GL on the New Seps Season, we hope to attend.
Samuel/Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM #24
gameover718
Quack

gameover718 helped look for balloons
Sundays should be a day of relaxing cause, the next day monday morning each and everyone of us have to go to work, school, or some form of work.

Saturdays would always be the best because of kids who play in the serious would only be able to play on Saturdays. I myself would not have a problem with Saturday or Sunday but I'm looking at the points of views of players who wouldnt be able to participate on sundays.

Really pricing, format or anything should be changed. One thing I could offer is how about some more fields?
gameover718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 PM #25
flash13
Broke

flash13 plays in the APPA beginner division
flash13 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
flash13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
flash13 supports DLX Technology
As for Saturday or Sunday, I like Sundays.

Registration. -I think using the APPA is a great idea.

Scoring. -I think the CFOA scoring system is really good.

Prizes/Entry -Just keep it cheap. Trophies and bragging rights make great prizes.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM #26
matthoe
bears

matthoe plays in the PSP
matthoe helped look for balloons
matthoe supports Team VICIOUS
matthoe plays in the APPA D4 division
the main concern though for me about the seps would be like making sure he right teams and platyers play in the right division.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 PM #27
bcpudge7
iSPY Photography

bcpudge7 is a Paintball photographer
bcpudge7 supports Cereal Killerz 2
bcpudge7 supports Team VICIOUS
I will pay $30 once a year to ensure that i am playing the right people i am supposed to. (Appa Id cards) or if we don't have to get id's, i would still love to have tha Appa.

Last edited by bcpudge7 : 10-16-2008 at 09:21 PM.
bcpudge7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 PM #28
krazykarl_13

krazykarl_13 plays in the PSP
krazykarl_13 plays in the APPA D3 division
either have appa or just don't give prizes for novice either one would work imo
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 PM #29
JamWade

JamWade plays in the PSP
JamWade supports Cereal Killerz 2
JamWade plays in the APPA D3 division
My vote is to keep events on saturday just easier all around. Alot of the other points being tossed around make perfect sense with a large bit of focus being put forth on moving the teams up when they need to be moved up.

I can honestly say I looked forward to each event this past season which means the SEPS is doing a fine job and I can only see it growing at insane rates in the near future. I believe with the fields involved the current ref situation works. The paid ref situation in my opinion helped kill MSPA, but on the flip side I also feel getting 1st place points for reffing is somewhat unfair. I know reffing sucks alot you watch ppl all day playing and get to stand there putting you hand on your head shouting "playa eliminated" over and over and over so to the teams that ref should get some great reward but not so sure what.
Prices are great. Basic paintball economics learns it's students if you can get to an event and get out for one Franklin or under and have fun you have done a good job. Again maybe spliting the pots for prizes differently may make teams move up.
Hmm not sure I have anything else to add at this moment, but to everyone I had fun and am looking forward to SEPS 09 4 shizzle

Old feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p... wade+feedback
JamWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 AM #30
4banger
AP Factory

4banger plays in the PSP
4banger donated to help Peyton Trent
4banger plays in the APPA D3 division
Again, great feedback guys. Thanks,

mark
65 South/AP Factory Sponsored by Ourselves now. lol
4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM #31
rlnxt

keep KP as the head ref. because he was awesome
rlnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM #32
Mr. Speed
agent of chaos

Mr. Speed plays in the APPA D4 division
Mr. Speed has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
KP for president!

DRANK 2012 MiLP Series Champs!!!
Mr. Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 AM #33
wildeman

wildeman is a founding member
Saturday or Sunday is going to be a tough issue and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer on this one. Some people will find themselves left out no matter which way you go. Mark- maybe you could ask via an email, pm, or whatever the captains of the teams that have played to "vote" and let the majority decide.

If the league decided to use teams to ref then here's something you probably will need to do. Someone that everyone trusts will need to be the head ref for every event. This will help insure some level of consistancy. That person will have to be as much of a "ref for the refs" as anything else. What I mean is we need someone to make sure the refs are being fair and as impartial as possible so no team uses their chance to ref as a chance to "screw" with any other team. If you ever played in mspa then you know what I'm talking about.
(Personally, I really enjoyed KP as the head ref. He was great. He wouldn't take any crap off of anyone and he wouldn't be afraid to call someone out if he saw them doing anything shaddy while they were reffing. If KP was willing to do it then he would be my choice.)

Personally, I think as long as the field owners can provide refs without it being too much of an expense or burdon then that's probably your best bet for now. Teams reffing teams is usually not a good idea. If the league grows to the point where it's needing to run multiple fields at each event and manpower becomes an issue then you can look at finding a better way. Although the old mspa way wasn't perfect it more or less worked. Everyone takes a turn and everyone gets their points and it all balances out in the end.

As for those calling for "less money for the field owners", sit down and be quiet. Your talking privilages have been revoked. (I mean that with humor so don't take offense.) I'm not a field owner in this league so I've got nothing in this. But speaking as a former field owner let me tell you that you've got no idea what you're talking about. The field owners make so little when it's all said and done and they're costs are so high it's really amazing that they're there at all. They let us bring our own paint to help make it more affordable, the entry fee is dirt cheap as it is, and it's a lot of work to get ready for and clean up after one of these events. If they had any sense at all they would make us buy their paint for 50.00-60.00 a case AND charge double the entry fee they do now. Fortunately for us they're all a bunch of paintball lov'in fools just like the rest of us so they do it for next to nothing. *****ing about the field owners "making too much money off of the league" is part of what killed the mspa. So the next time you're thinking about opening your mouth on this subject stop and take a long hard look at what it takes to make a league -any league- happen and realize that we should all be eternally grateful to these guys for being there so that we can get to do this. Sorry to be so "preachy" about this, but this is part of what makes good leagues so hard to come by.
wildeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:12 AM #34
Mr. Speed
agent of chaos

And Sean brings that FIYA!

Go call Monte! LOL

Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 AM #35
rlnxt

his post is longer than all the words in this thread put together but he makes good points.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 AM #36
wildeman

Hey, I payed a lot of money for my collage education. I figure I should use it every now and then.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM #37
Mr. Speed
agent of chaos

He's such an overachiever....... I swear he was asian in his past life......

Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM #38
wildeman

I do look a little like budda.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM #39
rlnxt

hahaha even this thread is starting to get knoxvilled now
Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 PM #40
Mr. Speed
agent of chaos

We're like the Andromeda strain!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 PM #41
SuperGecko28
*C-Town Legend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeman View Post
Hey, I payed a lot of money for my collage education. I figure I should use it every now and then.

sooo...your going to paint us a picture of something??

for those that dont know, sean was an art major .... he's so artistic
Let them Hate, so long as they Fear
Malicious Krew
*Revenge*
SuperGecko28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM #42
wildeman

How about I paint you a picture of a nice hot steaming cup of shut the F--- up. JK