JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB*Rage View Post
?

If you don't go through an ROTC program in college, you can...

A.) Go to O.C.S
B.) Enlist as an E-4
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM #23
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
Its silly how they will give a promotion to E4.. you won't get any respect from it initially, and it would still take you just as long to make E5 because of the TIS requirement. I see the main advantage of a degree as helping you later on when you get out to get a decent job. The way I look at it, if you are going to enlist then go to college after, since then the VA will pay for it. That's what I'm doing and it is a pretty decent deal. If I want to go OCS after I get my degree, then I can do that without having gone out of pocket for anything.
I think its pretty stupid to spend your own money to go to school for the Army.. unless your parents are daddy warbucks or something

Last edited by berserker19 : 10-13-2008 at 06:32 PM.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM #24
th3 h077n355

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 KILLA View Post
maybe he just couldent cut it?

juse because he was a cadet and you and him thought he was very HOOAH dosent mean he was fit to be an officer.

anyone who can read can go and sign a contract. not everyone can be an officer.
ahahaha. LOL.
Wait are you being sarcastic or serious?

07 Planet Eclipse Ego
DLX Luxe
th3 h077n355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 PM #25
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

DM6 KILLA helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB*Rage View Post
?
im not aware, i think you can. i know one of my friends is an LTC hes a tabbed ranger and served with 5th SF. he told me he was in the army for a while thewn left went to BC (boston college) then went back in and did all his SF and ranger ****. so i guess you can
BDK all day
.OG Sandana Owners Club. Educate Yourself.
DM6 KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM #26
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3 h077n355 View Post
ahahaha. LOL.
Wait are you being sarcastic or serious?
i was being serious.

i mean im sure some stupid people have become officers. but its way easier to just go and sign up
BDK all day
Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM #27
Wilson1
Kramerica Industries

Yeah, I was just saying. . . If you knew him you would maybe be able to see it the way I did, but whatever I'm not going to change your mind, it was just a little advice.

And enlisting isn't taking the easy way out, it's not simply signing a piece of paper.
Wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:06 PM #28
pbranger
Family of Ballers

pbranger owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
there is only 1 man on this board that can accurately answer this and he is most likely out doing some high speed crap right now. He's a Ssgt and knows his stuff from the SF side of things in the Army, I'm sure when he gets on again he'll be of some help.
Yep,

I know who you are talking about and he is THE source as he IS SF, time now.

I am an Army Officer (Major), Infantry for 12 years. I can speak to the officer path in SF, not much more.

Basically, Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) is no different from enlisted to officer, they all go to the same school, are put into teams, and are put through three weeks of hell to assess their ability to handle extreme physical conditioning, problem-solving, teamwork, leadership etc. Even if a guy makes it through without getting injured and pass all events, the evaluators still assess a guy on the "whole man" concept. They are looking for a certain demeanor, professionalism, and apptitude to do well within the Special Ops community.

That said, a guy can get selected in SFAS and still wash out in the Qualification, or "Q" course. The "Q" course is quite a bit longer and is focused on special skills aligned with the MOS your are going for. All Officers go to the 18A Qualification Course. The course is designed to prepare Officers to become ODA Team leaders.

So whoever said a Special Forces Officer is doing nothing but managerial stuff is off-base. You may not be the Sniper guy, or the Medic Guy, or the Demolitions Guy, but you are a Team Leader that synchronizes the team's specialties, Joint Firepower (Airforce, Navy etc), and work with the locals to achieve National Strategic Objectives. Pretty powerful stuff. And SF Officers are right on the ground with the team doing it. It is after commanding an ODA that officers start bouncing back and force between staff and command assignments.

So, to wrap it up, and answer the original question. You decide. If you have your heart set on SF and becoming an officer, great. Pick a branch that you like (it really does not matter to SF), do well at it. What you can do NOW: Get or stay in top physical condition, and develop some problem-solving skills/critical reasoning skills. When you are a First Lieutenant or complete with your Platoon Leader time, start talking with the SF Recruiters.

I would focus on that over any type of class in artillery or cold-weather training. The Army (and SF for that matter) will provide that free of charge and it will be hands-on, field oriented as opposed to theory in the classroom or something general.

Hope that helped. I had looked at the SF (and Ranger Regiment) routes during my younger years and decided to stay conventional. I have had some good friends in the SF as well, so my info above is probably pretty close, though may be outdated. The suggestions in bold are timeless and apply no matter what path you choose as an officer.

MAJ Jim Young
USA
Student, Command and General Staff College
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM #29
xxxarsonist
Tommy Noble

The bold applies to enlisted grunts too. Ranger Batt is my long-term goal.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 PM #30
FrogManStud

My father is an Army Ranger, my neighbor is a Green Beret next time I talk to them i will report back to this thread

︻┳テ=一 ︻┳テ=一 ︻┳テ=一 ︻┳テ=一. ︻┳テ=一
FrogManStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:24 PM #31
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

^ thank you, you can shoot me a PM with the info if thats easier for you.
BDK all day
Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM #32
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbranger View Post
Yep,

I am an Army Officer (Major), Infantry for 12 years. I can speak to the officer path in SF, not much more.

Basically, Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) is no different from enlisted to officer, they all go to the same school, are put into teams, and are put through three weeks of hell to assess their ability to handle extreme physical conditioning, problem-solving, teamwork, leadership etc. Even if a guy makes it through without getting injured and pass all events, the evaluators still assess a guy on the "whole man" concept. They are looking for a certain demeanor, professionalism, and apptitude to do well within the Special Ops community.

That said, a guy can get selected in SFAS and still wash out in the Qualification, or "Q" course. The "Q" course is quite a bit longer and is focused on special skills aligned with the MOS your are going for. All Officers go to the 18A Qualification Course. The course is designed to prepare Officers to become ODA Team leaders.

So whoever said a Special Forces Officer is doing nothing but managerial stuff is off-base. You may not be the Sniper guy, or the Medic Guy, or the Demolitions Guy, but you are a Team Leader that synchronizes the team's specialties, Joint Firepower (Airforce, Navy etc), and work with the locals to achieve National Strategic Objectives. Pretty powerful stuff. And SF Officers are right on the ground with the team doing it. It is after commanding an ODA that officers start bouncing back and force between staff and command assignments.

So, to wrap it up, and answer the original question. You decide. If you have your heart set on SF and becoming an officer, great. Pick a branch that you like (it really does not matter to SF), do well at it. What you can do NOW: Get or stay in top physical condition, and develop some problem-solving skills/critical reasoning skills. When you are a First Lieutenant or complete with your Platoon Leader time, start talking with the SF Recruiters.

I would focus on that over any type of class in artillery or cold-weather training. The Army (and SF for that matter) will provide that free of charge and it will be hands-on, field oriented as opposed to theory in the classroom or something general.

Hope that helped. I had looked at the SF (and Ranger Regiment) routes during my younger years and decided to stay conventional. I have had some good friends in the SF as well, so my info above is probably pretty close, though may be outdated. The suggestions in bold are timeless and apply no matter what path you choose as an officer.

MAJ Jim Young
USA

Darn, I'm no longer the ranking officer in here.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 PM #33
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
Darn, I'm no longer the ranking officer in here.
it's okay jack.

we still respect you lol
BDK all day
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM #34
NotAnotherBrick
Since 2002

You really want to be a special forces officer? I heard the only 'worth while' SF officers were enlisted to officer...and even at that there is a pre-requisite of being partially crazy.
NotAnotherBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM #35
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbranger View Post
Yep,

MAJ Jim Young
USA

thank you Major,
that really helped
BDK all day
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 AM #36
VSOwnage
Pursuit of Professional

VSOwnage plays in the PSP
VSOwnage is an NCPA player
VSOwnage plays in the APPA D3 division
Good luck
Fox 4 Paintball - Upton, MA
VSOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 AM #37
pbranger
Family of Ballers

pbranger owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
No problem. Good luck with your future. I have no regrets.

Even "old" majors still play paintball.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM #38
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

thanks guys, i really hope i have what it takes, its been my dream since i was about 8
BDK all day
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM #39
fudgeman_007

fudgeman_007 is a Supporting Member
If you can get a good asvab score and background, 18x will almost be handed to you. But you do have to ask. The Army is giving 18x and Op40 contracts like candy. But you do have to meet the qualifications. 18x is good if you have the heart to do it, once you get out of airborne you will have motivation through the roof to start some high speed training.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 PM #40
underdog_153

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 KILLA View Post
thanks guys, i really hope i have what it takes, its been my dream since i was about 8
with the atitude you have you will never ****in make it
Old 10-25-2008, 04:01 PM #41
LostCause40
The Best Cause

I had a full ride to Norwhich, shot it down (Thank you ARMY ROTC options) to go to the University of Alabama. But good luck bro, i had family issues so it kinda factored in to my decion

THough do the MCW (know a guy there and he loves it), join the club HITS, and do what you can to be a leader your first year WILL SUCK at Norwich, but you'll still have fun.

Good Luck bro.

Personelly im going for Jump school while in college ROTC, then going to try to become a Ranger. But im more worried about what branch im going to go into (Inf, Armor, or M.I.), so don't let anybody shoot your dreams down bud.

P.S. Try ot get all the extra tranning ya can, Jump school, Air Assualt School will help ya out.
Psalm 34:18-19
Spyder Piolt ACS:Dye Stickeys, Low rize feedneck, 14inch J&J s2 Barrel
Hopper:Vlocity Jr. W/ virtued
Mask:Blue Vents Avatars
Pants/Jersey:Blue Dye C7 or Yellow Stinger Combat BDUs, Purple DXS Jersey

ROLL TIDE!!!
LostCause40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:02 PM #42
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause40 View Post
I had a full ride to Norwhich, shot it down (Thank you ARMY ROTC options) to go to the University of Alabama. But good luck bro, i had family issues so it kinda factored in to my decion

THough do the MCW (know a guy there and he loves it), join the club HITS, and do what you can to be a leader your first year WILL SUCK at Norwich, but you'll still have fun.

Good Luck bro.

Personelly im going for Jump school while in college ROTC, then going to try to become a Ranger. But im more worried about what branch im going to go into (Inf, Armor, or M.I.), so don't let anybody shoot your dreams down bud.

P.S. Try ot get all the extra tranning ya can, Jump school, Air Assualt School will help ya out.
That's what I did