13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Rape at life.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 PM #3
Roger Ferris (Banned)

lol come on Jack I can't find a section on GoArmy that talks about it so I'm asking here, maybe if someone can find it I'll shut up lol
Roger Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 PM #4
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ferris View Post
lol come on Jack I can't find a section on GoArmy that talks about it so I'm asking here, maybe if someone can find it I'll shut up lol
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=344#requirements

youseewhatididthar
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 PM #5
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
18x isn't an MOS, it is an enlistment option. To obtain an 18series MOS you must complete the Special Forces Qualification course. You need a PULHES (physical) profile of 111221, a minimum 110 GT on the advab, must be able to obtain a secret security clearance, and you must be a US citizen. This enlistment option is closed to women.

I am going to be totally honest with you.. most of the recruits put in under this program wash out of the SF courses early. The main purpose of offering 18x contracts is to get recruits stuck in long 11B contracts after they don't make it.

Last edited by berserker19 : 10-12-2008 at 11:49 PM.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM #6
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

DM6 KILLA helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
18x isn't an MOS, it is an enlistment option. To obtain an 18series MOS you must complete the Special Forces Qualification course. You need a PULHES (physical) profile of 111221, a minimum 110 GT on the advab, must be able to obtain a secret security clearance, and you must be a US citizen. This enlistment option is closed to women.

I am going to be totally honest with you.. most of the recruits put in under this program wash out of the SF courses early. The main purpose of offering 18x contracts is to get recruits stuck in long 11B contracts after they don't make it.
thats what happened to my recruiter. he said he was all gung ho when he was my age and signed up for a 6 year contract for special forces training or something and he didnt come close to making it. so he got stuck with some ****ty job for 6 years
BostonBrutality #5
www.comittedpaintball.com
www.allstarrpaintball.com
.OG Sandana Owners Club. Educate Yourself.
VSB
DM6 KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM #7
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

Not necessarily a ****ty job if you dont make it, you're just going to be an infantryman. But most recruits think they're badasses and "oh I'm not going to wash out" and don't think about that part. If I'm not mistaken you're sent to 11b OSUT, then airborne, then you wait on a slot for SF training to start. I think there is a screening course similiar to RIP for rangers before you actually go to Q school.

I hope you're in awesome shape, mentally and physically. It took me a good 2 years or so in the Army before I even felt like I was beginning to get into good enough shape to attempt something like SF. Then I got deployed and that threw a wrench in everything.
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM #8
NickM
The Man in Black

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
true, youre best bet in my opinion would be join as an 11b for a shorter contract and if you want go to sf selection during that time, if you make it awesome if you don't your not stuck in a contract for an extra 2 or 3 years

US Army Infantry

Gen-E Matrix
Empire B2
MacDev 68/45
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM #9
PB*Rage (Banned)
can I kick it?

is the minimum for 18x a 6yr contract?
PB*Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM #10
berserker19

It was when I was recruiting 2 years ago.. they might have changed it but I doubt it. You need a lot of retention time because the training process is so long. Not only do you need all the SF courses, but also foreign language, airborne, and the NCO development courses to get you promoted - you have to be at least an NCO (not a CPL though) to be in an SF slot.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 PM #11
PB*Rage (Banned)
can I kick it?

so best bet is to just do a small contract in 11b or something of the sort and then eventually get picked to try out within that time?
PB*Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM #12
Goon
I need a Beer!

Goon is a founding member
Goon plays in the APPA beginner division
Look, you can enlist with this option but you better be ready to suffer. I am in SWC right now. I went to selection and was selected. I was in SUT and fractured my tibia. I am now healing waiting to go back to the course. If you want to be Special Forces then this is the only way to get there. It is a commitment that you can not waiver on at all. If you are interested then do some serious online research and then get away from the computer and run further than you have ever run, Ruck further than you thought possible with Around 100lb ruck and do more pull-ups and rope climbing than your friends. No I am not kidding around with this. If you take an 18x slot that you will go to basic at Ft. Benning, 11B AIT, Basic Airborne school, SOPC (Special Forces Prep Course),At this point you go to selection. If you do not get selected you go to regular army as an 11b. If you are selected then you start CLT (Combat Leaders Training), CST (Common Skills Training), SUT (Small Unit Tactics), Range week, S.E.R.E., Then start language, then MOS, Then Robin Sage. I hope this helps.
Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM #13
LED is 6 BPS faster

I think 18x is a horrible program. This isn't me knocking the sf babies at all, however, there's a lot to be learned in the regular army. Military maturity and knowledge is much different than the civilian side. While everything can be learned in group, I definitely think its better to grow up somewhere like the 75th and than hop the fence. Either way, the Q isn't hard, it just sucks. You're in it forever and it never ends. Don't get hurt. You just sit around waiting for classes and next thing you know all your boys are group guys and you're lolly gagging. Just remember, group, just like everywhere else, has the same bull**** and politics as anywhere else in the army. The long hair and big watches just make guys who don't know any better think otherwise.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 PM #14
Keith0147

whats 18x and 11b and do the names transfer from army to marines?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 PM #15
bnctaj

18x = special forces candidate = no transferable slot
11 b = infantryman/rifleman = 0311 in the marines.
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 PM #16
berserker19

11B = 0311. 18x is basically an 11B contract with a guarantee for a shot at special forces training.
18x isn't actually an MOS... once you make it through SF training then you get an 18 series MOS assigned. Most people fail/quit out at some point in the training and just go to a regular rifle unit as an 11b.
edit: someone beat me to it lol
Old 10-24-2008, 06:32 PM #17
Keith0147

yeah im on the verge of signing for the marines and I know I want to go in 0311 then try for recon. When I go for their training will i have to sign for a long contract before training too? Is there another route?

EDIT: meant recon

Last edited by Keith0147 : 10-24-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Keith0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:35 PM #18
bnctaj

Marines, then transfer forces to do Special Forces? Or are you talking about the Marine commitment to SOCCOM, Force Recon?

If you want to do SF, it's probably a **** of a lot easier to go 11b OPT40 in the Army, then when it comes time to reenlist do the SF route if you can... seems a lot easier than a lat transfer from a generic Marine trigger puller, especially cause you'll have been through some of the basic schools already (Airborne, perhaps some of the other **** like lrs). But I'm a rotc cadidiot, so...
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 PM #19
Keith0147

oh sorry i meant recon. But no i will go into the marines as 0311 then will i have to sign for a longer contract for recon training?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM #20
berserker19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Marines, then transfer forces to do Special Forces? Or are you talking about the Marine commitment to SOCCOM, Force Recon?

If you want to do SF, it's probably a **** of a lot easier to go 11b OPT40 in the Army, then when it comes time to reenlist do the SF route if you can... seems a lot easier than a lat transfer from a generic Marine trigger puller, especially cause you'll have been through some of the basic schools already (Airborne, perhaps some of the other **** like lrs). But I'm a rotc cadidiot, so...
They are recruiting like crazy for SF right now out of AD posts... It would be easy for a qualified 11b to get a shot. I wanted to do it but I didn't meet the physical requirements after I got hurt overseas.

Keith you might want to ask your question in the USMC support thread.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:57 PM #21
Keith0147

got it well see u in the other thread