Annual Supporting Member
ekkthree owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ekkthree plays in the APPA D5 division
ekkthree has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree supports Ninja Paintball
underboring and field paint

so with the ressy, i bore match the best i can then select the one size smaller to keep rollouts at bay. the issue with field paint, of course, is that the paint varies wildly in size and shape. this leads to hot shots and lame loopers. but the worst is the broken paint. damn broken paint ruined every other game yesterday and led to a lot of cleanup teching in the pits.
let's take as a given that good paint is the best option here. but obviously there are times when we don't have that luxury and we have to make the best with what we've got.

do you just overbore and live with the rollouts out hooked shots? seems to defeat the purpose of 'closed bolt accuracy'

Rotor shell
GoPro Hero3 Black
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5507321
ekkthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM #2
Dk-79
SCHWING!

has been a member for 10 years
Dk-79 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
You can buy phantom style detent rings. They work better than most, but if your field is FPO and they're selling ****ty paint, that sounds more like a complaint for the company.

The best way to install the detent rings is to put a ball in it, like a ring on a planet, then set the ball on the back of the barrel and screw it down into the breech. If the ring goes in crooked it'll blend all your paint.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:43 PM #3
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
aclark364 supports Ninja Paintball
its hard playing with a cockers or pumps with bad paint. I try to go with the biggest barrel and deal with a few roll outs instead of a few broken balls

Ion/Gear for sale!/spyders
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:30 AM #4
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark364 View Post
its hard playing with a cockers or pumps with bad paint. I try to go with the biggest barrel and deal with a few roll outs instead of a few broken balls
Agreed. Anything is better than broken paint, IMO.
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 PM #5
cfos00

I underbore all the time. I want ball-to-ball consistency, and underboring has shown to do that for me. Barrel breaks are extremely rare. You're more likely to clip paint coming in the stack of the feed tube. To take care of that, make sure that your LPR is set nice and low to keep you from crushing balls. If you can do that, you should be fine. And if the paint was going to break on you, it most likely would in any barrel. Also good with underboring---the next shot can do a lot of clearing for you when you do get a break.
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 PM #6
frontPlayer
Armed Force

frontPlayer is a founding member
Overbore crap paint, match or underbore good paint.
frontPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:05 PM #7
gandhi77

Where I live it's all field paint only. A few parks offer different brands and type of paint. I've underbored so I don't get rollouts but the paint here is smaller than my .675 insert. If I underbore successfully preventing roll outs with different paint I'd get breaks. For a while I'd use the tape mod to prevent rollouts while slightly overboring. For a few years of playing pump with tape or the nail polish mod it was ok. Now I slightly overbore because of the new mods I can have on my pumps. I use phantoms and probably will turn my trilogy into a pump (maybe) I can now not worry about rollouts and breaks since the phantom detent mod I've installed. There are other mods like the asp and the ssc detent mod, but I like what I have because I can use regular spyder or azodin detents. For the autococker Palmers Pursuit is selling the removable wedgit detents that work great, been testing for a while and works awesome. No breaks so far and I can match paint without having to underbore with possible breaks. I haven't had an issue with my phantom also matching paint without rollouts.
gandhi77 is offline   Reply With Quote