Community Focus

Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM #1
floods
Ph 4:12

Annual Supporting Member
floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
Cold Fusion Cocker - What Do I Have Here?

Hi guys, I'm completely new to cockers but have wanted one for awhile. Just picked this up from a friend super cheap, but I'm not sure exactly what to do next since I know next to nothing about mech guns.

What I do know:
It's a Cold Fusion
P&P Messiah reg
"Benchmark" slide frame

What would yall recommend for next steps? I'd like to get it rebuilt (orings), and put an on/off asa so I can use an HPA tank on it. There was a ridiculous drop with either a nitrogen or co2 tank on it. I don't think it's been shot in about a decade. I'd like to do something about the feedneck, which isn't clamping. What other things do I need to consider? What's the approximate value of this cocker?

Twstr #131
I have had great customer service experiences with:
DLX Technologies . Virtue Paintball . Ninja Paintball . Planet Eclipse
floods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM #2
jestep

I would take it apart, replace orings, see what the internals are, get it shooting again, and decide where to go from there. I think these can go upwards of $500 if they are in good working order, undrilled, etc. Good anno on this one IMO.

If you plan on selling it, I wouldn't touch the feedneck. Leave it as stock as possible.
jestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM #3
tacxplosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods View Post
What would yall recommend for next steps? I'd like to get it rebuilt (orings), and put an on/off asa so I can use an HPA tank on it. There was a ridiculous drop with either a nitrogen or co2 tank on it. I don't think it's been shot in about a decade.
You should be able to use any standard spaced ASA in the market. As far as a rebuild, IIRC Cold Fusion 'cockers are pre-2k spec, so you'll need the apropriate o'ring kit or to buy them separately by size (see if maybe the customcockers forum has a size list). I would rebuild the HPR first and then run oil through the rest of the marker to see if it really needs a rebuild, BUNA-N o'rings have a nominal life of 10 years, so they might still be good (if it has any urethane o'rings, those are probably brittle or jelly by now).

The LPR looks like a PPS full size rock and the 3-way and ram look like STO or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods View Post
I'd like to do something about the feedneck, which isn't clamping. What other things do I need to consider? What's the approximate value of this cocker?
For the feedneck I'd recommend a trinity clamping add on: http://paintballgateway.com/trtrautleclf.html

It will make for a taller profile though, so you might want to just run a revvy on it; since any other options entail chopping the current one up or removing it entirely; If it were me, I'd like to keep the lovely matched anodizing on there.

How much should be asked here:http://www.pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=917

But $400-$450 seems to be the going rate for P&P CF's, probably on the higher side 'cause of the all matching parts and splash.

Last edited by tacxplosion : 02-12-2015 at 04:37 PM.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 PM #4
cfos00

Do NOT take that HPR apart unless you have to. Those things are built like tanks, and pulling it apart, if you even can (seriously, mine have taken a ton of torque), messes with seals that weren't supposed to be messed with. If you run air through it and you're getting spikes, then consider it. But don't otherwise leave it be.

If you plan on possibly selling it, keep it as close to stock as possible. You can sand down a rotor pretty easily and quickly to get them to fit, and it won't hurt it for your markers with clamping feednecks. I did it for my westwoods, and it took about an hour total (added an o-ring groove too, and they don't move at all once they're on) If you have a spire, it's a little trickier, as they're way too small.

The o-rings that you might need to replace are the LPR and threeway. If you decide to swap them out, try not to change the settings/rod lengths if you don't have to. If you aren't familiar with cockers, the first rule is that if it's not broke, don't fix it. That's when problems usually show up. Live by that. Otherwise, very nice marker to pick up. P&P was a really well thought of custom shop.
cfos00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 PM #5
ROCKYX

I have a Cold Fusion and it shoots beautiful stock. Nice marker!
ROCKYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM #6
floods
Ph 4:12

Annual Supporting Member
floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
Thank you for the help!

So it sounds like I should leave it stock, replace the orings in the LPR & 3-way, and run some oil through it. One of our team's sponsors is an old cocker guy so I may have him get it up and running so I have a starting point.

Do Revvys fit the feedneck well, or are you recommending one because it's a reliable, cheap hopper? The prices on them are great if you can find one. I may go the rotor route since they're plentiful and I'm more familiar with them. Both of my current hoppers are Spires, and you're right about the feedneck being way way too small.

Do yall have any recommendations for the ASA? WGP? CP?

Twstr #131
I have had great customer service experiences with:
DLX Technologies . Virtue Paintball . Ninja Paintball . Planet Eclipse
floods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM #7
tacxplosion

Revvy's along with anything vL will fit without modifying. As for ASA's I'd go with a dust black rail and BL camdrive or PE POPS.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:31 PM #8
cfos00

I personally try to go something era appropriate for the ASA, but that's me. You can add anything to it and be okay. Back then, most HPA systems weren't screw in, so markers didn't necessarily come with them. And a revvy would fit great (they were top of the line then so feednecks were matched to them size-wise) and should have no trouble keeping up. You can generally pick one up for like $20-$25 bucks too.
cfos00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM #9
PntBllJnky22
iMehrab

has been a member for 10 years
PntBllJnky22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sick gun
PntBllJnky22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 PM #10
Daviesm118

You'll need an unreasonably large drop foreward too-- if you are going for era-match. And braided steel hose! Real classy!
Daviesm118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 PM #11
GZFAN35
Old School

GZFAN35 is playing at Living Legends VII
GZFAN35 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GZFAN35 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Maybe a filter element on the end of that braided hose too. Also an Armageddon tank to rip your finger apart would help.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 AM #12
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZFAN35 View Post
Maybe a filter element on the end of that braided hose too. Also an Armageddon tank to rip your finger apart would help.
'Geddons don't tear up your fingers..........
They tear up the heel of your hand P

To me, it's a small price to pay
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM #13
GZFAN35
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
'Geddons don't tear up your fingers.......... They tear up the heel of your hand P To me, it's a small price to pay
Stupid me I was thinking of the macdev tanks. Both were great though. Especially the Armageddon tanks if you missed the gym that day lol
Old 02-14-2015, 10:06 AM #14
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Compared to a Raptor, or Apocalypse, the 'geddon is a feather lol
Mac Dev tanks were brutal if you weren't careful, that's for sure.
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:15 PM #15
GZFAN35
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
Compared to a Raptor, or Apocalypse, the 'geddon is a feather lol Mac Dev tanks were brutal if you weren't careful, that's for sure.

I forgot about apocalypse! I never owned one but a buddy had a nickel STO with one of those, talk about a heavy lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:42 PM #16
SpanksIPB

SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
That thing is beautiful. I have a soft spot for Fire and ice Cold fusions and I'm kind of jealous lol.
SpanksIPB is online now   Reply With Quote