Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 PM #1
Makon

Aftermarket Ram that accepts a flow regulator

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have a 2k autococker that I just recently rebuilt and works great... However, I want to my own custom reflex kit for it, just because its badass and I want to do it.

My question is that I want to maintain a standard length main RAM, but I need to use a flow regulator (flow controller) to control BPS when the reflex mode is on. I found this flow controller from clippard, but I am not sure which type of aftermarket (Belsales, Palmer, etc.) will have the threading to accept the flow controller. If anyone has any info that could help me out so I can purchase the right components, I would really appreciate it!

clippard part: http://www.clippard.com/part/MFC-3AK

On the other reflex parts side of things, I plan on 3d modeling a custom front block, lower trigger frame (I hate the stock plastic one since it isn't real rigid), and trigger and getting them milled from aluminum (and hopefully anodized).
Makon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 PM #2
apes4us
MO

Even with a correct 3d model, having someone successfully run out 1 custom trigger frame is going to be insanely costly. I would look at what's already available if I were you.
That flow controller is 10-32 threaded so it will thread into almost all Rams and LPRs. Limiting the flow of air in the pneus doesn't seem like a good way to reduce BPS, though. Wouldn't that just cause the gun to only cock back part way during bursts of fire? An incomplete ram cycle will cause paint chops, rendering your gun about as useful as a blender.
apes4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM #3
Makon

Quote:
Originally Posted by apes4us View Post
Even with a correct 3d model, having someone successfully run out 1 custom trigger frame is going to be insanely costly. I would look at what's already available if I were you.
That flow controller is 10-32 threaded so it will thread into almost all Rams and LPRs. Limiting the flow of air in the pneus doesn't seem like a good way to reduce BPS, though. Wouldn't that just cause the gun to only cock back part way during bursts of fire? An incomplete ram cycle will cause paint chops, rendering your gun about as useful as a blender.

Well the flow controller is mainly adjust how much pressure goes to the ram, either increasing or decreasing to achieve the desired firerate, in otherwords, to fine tune how quickly the ram cycles (it was used in the actual boston paintball reflex kit). Ideally it is used with a jam bolt to minimize autochopping paint.

Do you know if the end of the belsales rame unscrews? Or is the threaded barb at the end of the ram the same as the flow controller threads?

I was thinking a custom trigger frame could be expensive, but i'll get a quote with a 3d model and see what it winds up being there really isn't a crazy amount to it.... Although I suppose what I could do is epoxy two stock trigger frames together and then drill a hole through the cured center to fit the trigger ram... That could be a less expensive alternative. Although I will need a custom front block though, which is necessary. So we will see!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM #4
apes4us
MO

Interesting.
The Belsales Ram barbs are 10-32, same as the controller.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 PM #5
Makon

Quote:
Interesting.
The Belsales Ram barbs are 10-32, same as the controller.
Ok great!

On the topic of grip frames... Do you happen to know if the wider 45 style grip frames will fit a 2k cocker?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions! Thank you
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM #6
apes4us
MO

No problem.
Yes, all cocker trigger frames are universal. While the rear of the base of those older sliders is a bit wider, I don't recall if the inside of the grip area is actually wider than any other slider, I don't think they are (I'm assuming you're looking to mount some stuff in there).
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 PM #7
Makon

Yeah I would need to install a small ram inside the grip frame to make the "reflex" work. I know that my existing trigger frame is the same width throughout and would definitely be too small for one. From pics I have seen it looks like the 45 style grip frames (that are wider than the trigger area where the grip is) are approx. 3/4" wide.... Just shooting from the hip there lol.

I found what looks to be a gently used one on ebay for about 50 bucks.... likely much cheaper than a milled prototype!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM #8
apes4us
MO

Definitely cheaper than a milled prototype. I'd recommend going that route.
This is an incredibly cool project you're taking on. I know there hasn't been much interest here, but the guys at CustomCockers.com would be interested in this and could possibly also help out.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 AM #9
Makon

Quote:
Definitely cheaper than a milled prototype. I'd recommend going that route.
This is an incredibly cool project you're taking on. I know there hasn't been much interest here, but the guys at CustomCockers.com would be interested in this and could possibly also help out.
Yeah I have been browsing their forums looking for details on what was required! haha.

I may wander over there if I have any other questions specific to the reflex system. However I think I have a pretty good handle on everything, with the major hurdle being the front block, which needs to be custom because they don't friggin exist (aside from kits that were made in the late 90s from boston paintball and only about 20 of them were ever made). One of those guys over there may have a good source for doing a custom part.

Either way, ill make a thread here once I actually start getting my **** together for this project. I just want to do it because of the cool factor, and they are fairly rare to see.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM #10
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

has been a member for 10 years
That is the exact part that came stock on the Reflex kits.
The Jam bolt was a "Must Have" with a VL, but with a Halo, and a less that gorilla grip on the trigger, it kept up just fine with a decent modern standard bolt, and a sane LPR setting.
Personally, my kit ended up with an ER LPR mounted on the banjo bolt, so I could separate the trigger return pressure from the main ram cycle pressure. That allowed me to control the return pressure on the trigger (and thus the max rate of fire) separately from the cocking cycle.

It's been a few years since I sold both my kits, but shoot me a PM if you have any questions.