Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM #1
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang
 
Turb0 Negr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Nutritional Questions/Discussion

My main interest and I guess you can say "expertise" in bodybuilding lies in the area of nutrition. It doesn't matter if you have each lift's technique mastered or you do crazy sessions of HIIT every week; if you're not living up to your bodybuilding commitment in the kitchen, you are going to see little if any results.

If your completely new to this whole game, try and read the links before asking your questions and see if they help you out. Most of the stuff I will be posting is written by Dr. John Berardi from T-Nation and he knows his stuff more than anyone.

If your "advanced" feel free to just discuss nutrition as a whole: what you eat, when you eat, how you eat...you get the idea.

Teh Linkzorz!!!1!

Nutrition For Newbs
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...etAndNutrition


7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...programs& cr=


Massive Eating Parts 1&2---GOOD STUFF
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...ded_part_i&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...ed_part_ii&cr=


Nutrient Timing---Theory I base most of my eating off of
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...t_timing_i&cr=


Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...tion_myths&cr=


Berardis Kitchen Parts 1&2---Great ideas on what to eat
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...hen_part_i&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...kitchen_ii&cr=
Turb0 Negr0 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM #2
OrbitalDeath127
whitewashed
 
OrbitalDeath127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: §732§
 has been a member for 10 years
OrbitalDeath127 is playing at Living Legends V
OrbitalDeath127 is an NCPA player
OrbitalDeath127 plays in the APPA D5 division
Here's the post that I made in the old "Bodybuilding and Performance Recipies" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDeath127 View Post
This is for anybody who's new and coming to this thread, as I'm sure most of the regulars already know of this book. There is a great book out there about nutrition and has a lot of simple recipes. The book is called Muscle Chow by Gregg Avedon.



Flip through it and pick it up if you ever get the chance.
OrbitalDeath127 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM #3
Murdox
One With The Gun
 
Murdox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
I wish I could apply these to my meal plan here at school. Here is what I eat, which is possibly the best I can do at the moment:

B-fast:

Cream of Wheat / Oatmeal (whichever is available)
Fruit
Coffee and Water

Lunch:

Turkey sandwich on wholewheat bread w/ lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber and black olives (no mayo)

water

Dinner:

Salad (homemade)
Some type of meat (usually don't know what it is)
Soup (not creams, usually minestrone or tomato)

Snacks:

Granola bars
Apples


I think it's pretty decent for a university diet, but it's no where near perfect. I drink about 15 - 18 cups of water a day as well.
__________________
- Murdoc
- Team Shockwave
- Sponsors |Save Phace|YesWeDoo|Northern Reptile|Pulsar Parkour|
Murdox is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM #4
undirected (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
What do you guys think about caffeine and lifting? Not necessarily using it with lifting (i.e. a caffeine pill like some people use before training or drinking coffee, etc.) but drinking it in general. Any negative biochemical effects?
undirected is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM #5
kjjm4
Liberty or Death
 
kjjm4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wind Ridge, PA
kjjm4 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Everything that I've read (admittedly that's not as much as some guys on here) says caffeine is ok. It's a stimulant, so it increases your metabolism to some extent. The only negatives I've really run across are that it's a diuretic (makes you pee), so don't count caffeine-containing drinks as part of your daily water/fluid intake.

I try to avoid caffeine in large quantities because it makes me jittery and unable to sleep, but I do drink a fair amount of green tea and one or two diet sodas a week.
__________________
ďA strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
kjjm4 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 12:26 PM #6
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick
 
WorldStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Caffeine is fine, but just like anything else you don't want your body to become dependent on it. I drink one cup of green tea a day (which is naturally caffeinated), and missing a day or two doesn't do anything to me. Don't overload on it and you'll be fine.
__________________
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 PM #7
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang
 
Turb0 Negr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
There have been many studies showing a positive corellation between caffeine and fat loss. I don't see a problem with it; same goes with green tea
Turb0 Negr0 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 PM #8
KillerKid898
You can't kill integrity
 
KillerKid898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas,Texas
i'm wondering why they always say to boil eggs and eat the egg white only,whats wrong with the yolk?
__________________
ST:F:Weightlifting:Yeah I ****in grunt when I get my swell on in the gym,because everyone should see how jacked and tan I am.
"Originally posted by slateman: Its a gym. Its supposed to be a man's world. Stagnant air with the hint of ball sweat :tup:"
KillerKid898 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM #9
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang
 
Turb0 Negr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKid898 View Post
i'm wondering why they always say to boil eggs and eat the egg white only,whats wrong with the yolk?
The yolk is what contains the cholesterol and all of the fat in the egg. Therefore if you only eat the white, your getting all of the vitamins the egg packs and some protein (only about 4g per white). This however is the viewpoint of someone concerned solely about their health. There are benefits from eating the whole egg however; the yolk packs some extra protein, and cholesterol you consume in food isn't the real culprit behind heart problems- you can point the finger at saturated fat for that. Besides cholesterol is a major component of producing testosterone which is always good for us bodybuilders =)
Turb0 Negr0 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 PM #10
KillerKid898
You can't kill integrity
 
KillerKid898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas,Texas
ok good,I always eat the yolk and was just wondering why others don't,thanks
__________________
ST:F:Weightlifting:Yeah I ****in grunt when I get my swell on in the gym,because everyone should see how jacked and tan I am.
"Originally posted by slateman: Its a gym. Its supposed to be a man's world. Stagnant air with the hint of ball sweat :tup:"
KillerKid898 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM #11
smitty192
Nigga, whats the deal?
 
smitty192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
lol at the people on the BB forums. im getting into it with them becuase theyre trying to tell me that its not good to have simple carbs post workout.
__________________
My Feedback 9+ 0-
XBL GT:Smitty2033
smitty192 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM #12
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang
 
Turb0 Negr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
I despise that website
Turb0 Negr0 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM #13
smitty192
Nigga, whats the deal?
 
smitty192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
haha it was in the teen section too. its pretty bad im not gonna lie. the main thing i go there for is for the supplement logs and reviews and the supplement science when they post studies
__________________
My Feedback 9+ 0-
XBL GT:Smitty2033
smitty192 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 PM #14
flarkey25
Raging Weasel
 
flarkey25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Medina Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
The yolk is what contains the cholesterol and all of the fat in the egg. Therefore if you only eat the white, your getting all of the vitamins the egg packs and some protein (only about 4g per white). This however is the viewpoint of someone concerned solely about their health. There are benefits from eating the whole egg however; the yolk packs some extra protein, and cholesterol you consume in food isn't the real culprit behind heart problems- you can point the finger at saturated fat for that. Besides cholesterol is a major component of producing testosterone which is always good for us bodybuilders =)
Most of the vitamins are in the yolk. Most of everything is in the yolk, that's what the little chicken fetus uses to grow. People cut out the yolks to cut calories, because fat holds 9 calories per gram. There's really no other reason.
__________________
"originally posted by wgp2400
You know you're a noob when you're calling yourself a sniper, and you aren't Jeremy Salm."
Feedback
flarkey25 is offline  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 PM #15
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire
 
madgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Homewood, IL
madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
dietary cholesteral has basically no effect on the cholesteral levels in your body. If you are only going to eat egg whites, You are probably better off just buying cartons of egg whites.
__________________
Honey Badger University Professor of Women Studies, Dean of Student Affairs
madgoat is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM #16
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang
 
Turb0 Negr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
God I love sweet potatoes. They are ultimate sex for a carb source, I recommend you guys try em
Turb0 Negr0 is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM #17
flarkey25
Raging Weasel
 
flarkey25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Medina Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
It's one of the few groceries I actually go out and buy for myself... They're damn tastey and good for ya too.
__________________
"originally posted by wgp2400
You know you're a noob when you're calling yourself a sniper, and you aren't Jeremy Salm."
Feedback
flarkey25 is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM #18
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick
 
WorldStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Anyone feel like giving a brief critique for my cutting diet?

Breakfast (biggest meal of the day)
Scrambled Eggs (probably about 2-3)
Bowl of Life Cereal (Kashi Go Lean on the weekends)
Banana
Egg Whites (2)
Grapes/Bowl of Fruit (whichever one is available)
Glass of Milk

2-Hour Snack
Kashi TLC Bar

Lunch
Salad (Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, no dressing)
Lean Meat (usually deli turkey, if they don't have grilled chicken). This varies in amount. If it's self serve, I take a pretty decent amount. If not, and someone is portioning it out, I don't get quite as much as I'd like.
Egg Whites (2)
Glass of Milk

2-Hour Snack
Kashi TLC Bar + Egg Whites (2)

Dinner
Salad (Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, no dressing)
Lean Meat (usually deli turkey, if they don't have grilled chicken) (same as lunch)
Egg Whites (2)
Glass of Milk
Some sort of fruit (banana, watermelon, bowl of pears/peaches, apple, whatever)

Most of my carb intake is in the morning. I take more in during my 2-hour snacks to keep myself energized, but I don't think it's working. After lunch all the way til the end of the day I find myself tired from mundane activities, just like walking from classes to classes and up staircases. Lunch is my no-carb meal, the 2 hour snack in between lunch and dinner is meant to bring my energy level back up, and then at dinner I have some fruit for more carbs.

I'm combining this diet with alternating HIIT/Lifting days. Haven't missed a day in almost 5 weeks now. Maybe it's just the slow wearing down of my body over time, but this lack of energy is getting to me. At the same time, I can tell from the visible abdominal muscles in my stomach that it's working, so I really don't want to increase my intake too much.

Any suggestions on how to modify my diet to increase results and energy? And by suggestions I mean any answer besides "Eat more." The way I feel during some of the day now...sort of makes me question if I can make it for my last 3 weeks.
__________________
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 PM #19
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStrike View Post
Anyone feel like giving a brief critique for my cutting diet?

Breakfast (biggest meal of the day)
Scrambled Eggs (probably about 2-3)
Bowl of Life Cereal (Kashi Go Lean on the weekends)
Banana
Egg Whites (2)
Grapes/Bowl of Fruit (whichever one is available)
Glass of Milk

2-Hour Snack
Kashi TLC Bar

Lunch
Salad (Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, no dressing)
Lean Meat (usually deli turkey, if they don't have grilled chicken). This varies in amount. If it's self serve, I take a pretty decent amount. If not, and someone is portioning it out, I don't get quite as much as I'd like.
Egg Whites (2)
Glass of Milk

2-Hour Snack
Kashi TLC Bar + Egg Whites (2)

Dinner
Salad (Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, no dressing)
Lean Meat (usually deli turkey, if they don't have grilled chicken) (same as lunch)
Egg Whites (2)
Glass of Milk
Some sort of fruit (banana, watermelon, bowl of pears/peaches, apple, whatever)

Most of my carb intake is in the morning. I take more in during my 2-hour snacks to keep myself energized, but I don't think it's working. After lunch all the way til the end of the day I find myself tired from mundane activities, just like walking from classes to classes and up staircases. Lunch is my no-carb meal, the 2 hour snack in between lunch and dinner is meant to bring my energy level back up, and then at dinner I have some fruit for more carbs.

I'm combining this diet with alternating HIIT/Lifting days. Haven't missed a day in almost 5 weeks now. Maybe it's just the slow wearing down of my body over time, but this lack of energy is getting to me. At the same time, I can tell from the visible abdominal muscles in my stomach that it's working, so I really don't want to increase my intake too much.

Any suggestions on how to modify my diet to increase results and energy? And by suggestions I mean any answer besides "Eat more." The way I feel during some of the day now...sort of makes me question if I can make it for my last 3 weeks.
if you're tired and sluggish because you're hungry you need to eat, starvation never got anybody muscular
Worr, the wee tot. is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 PM #20
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike
 
Tippmann playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nebraska
recommendations on healthy things to eat the night before a game? (besides pasta). The day of the game? or a couple hours before the game?
__________________
"If you are reading this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Tippmann playa is offline  
Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM #21
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann playa View Post
recommendations on healthy things to eat the night before a game? (besides pasta). The day of the game? or a couple hours before the game?
I would say that you would want to avoid a lot of carbs at night but I don't know your nutritional regimen. Try eating a small, well balanced meal right as you get up, then a good sized (~500 cal depending on your caloric intake) meal heavy on the carbs and with a good bit of protein about an hour before your lift, then take a couple scoops of whey afterwards if that's something you use

edit - I didn't realize you meant a game, I thought we were talking about weight training

Last edited by Worr, the wee tot. : 10-09-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Worr, the wee tot. is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump