Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 PM #64
PaintballTourney2

The reason why I'm considering the L1 player on a L2 roster is this...

Next season I'm going to re-classify the Levels. L1 will stay as Open, L2 will be called 5Man Novice (instead of Rookie); L3 will be called 3Man Rookie (instead of Beginner) and L4 will be called 3Man Beginner (instead of Newbie).

To all you guys who have played in the MPS, these are just words that don't mean much. The reason why I'm changing the wording is for those new teams who see "rookie" and think it is a level that is for new people and get rolled every game which has happened many times in past seasons.

The reason for opening up L2 to one L1 player is because there isn't much difference between the skill levels anyways and this will help out in fnding players to fill a roster. For example, at event #5, a team who didn't have a 5th guy but found someone at the last minute that played D2. Because of that, that team wasn't able to play. This will solve those issues like that.

The classifications I'm considering will be as follows:

Quote:
Player Classifications/Restrictions:
- Definition of a "Returning Player" = A returning player is someone who has played in two or more MPS events in 2008
- Definition of a "New Player" = A new player is someone who has played in one or no MPS events in 2008
- The Series Promoter has the ultimate decision on what Level a player qualifies for depending on that players situation. Email paintballtourney@cox.net if you have a question on which Level you qualify for

Level 1 - 5Man Open Class (Intended for players with UNLIMITED tourney experience)
- Open to anyone

Level 2 - 5Man Novice (Intended for players with A LOT of tourney experience)
- Returning Players: If you placed FIRST in two or more L2 MPS events in 2008, you must bump up to Level 1
- Returning Players: If you played in three or more L2 MPS events in 2008 and you did not place in the top 6, you can bump down to Level 3
- New Players: Only 1 player can have played in D2 in the NPPL or PSP. All other players must be D3 or lower in the NPPL/PSP.

Level 3 - 3Man Rookie (Intended for players with SOME tourney experience)
- Returning Players: If you placed FIRST in two or more L3 MPS events in 2008, you must bump up to Level 2
- Returning Players: If you played in three or more L3 events in 2008 and you did not place in the top 6, you can bump down to Level 4
- New Players: No NPPL or PSP experience ever (This Does Not Include Young Guns)

Level 4 - 3Man Beginner (Intended for players with LITTLE or NO tourney experience)
- Returning Players: If you placed FIRST in any L4 events in 2008, you must bump up to Level 3
- New Players: No NPPL or PSP experience ever (This Does Include Young Guns)
- All Level 4 players must use either 1) Mechanical Marker and any hopper or 2) Gravity Fed Hopper with any marker
- Either the marker or the hopper can have a battery but not both.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 PM #65
PaintballTourney2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekngdukrndcrnz View Post
redistribute the prizes so teams have incentive to move up. something's wrong when level 3 is more profitable than level 1
I agree totally.... I moved some funds around this season to give L1 more of a payout but it wasn't enough yet. I will do even more next season.

L1 is where EVERYONE should want to be. Taking your advice (which I will) will only encourage those to move up.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM #66
kwoodpaintballer87

Annual Supporting Member
the difference between L1 and L2 really isnt that big, its just more national experience, but they would still be close games between most of the L1 and L2 teams from what i saw, im not sure what we are going to play next year, either works for me, its all paintball, thats all i need
kwoodpaintballer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM #67
PaintballTourney2

I have updated my first post based on everything that has been discussed.... here is the updated list as it stands now..

Quote:
As mentioned over the weekend, I’m posting this thread so we can talk about changes for the 2009 season. Below are things that will for sure happen and what is being recommended. This list will be updated as each person brings up recommendations.

For sure will happen in the 2009 MPS Season:
- Registrations will now be through the APPA website (American Paintball Player’s Association). Their website is: http://www.paintball-players.org/
- Fields will not be allowed to have their sponsored teams play at their hosted events unless all members of the reffing staff are hired by the field and are not affiliated with the field in any way. This does not apply to teams who call a field their “home field” and who are not actually sponsored by that field.
- More of a payout to Level 1
- Teams who Ref will receive points based on their Average for the remaining four events they don't ref in. This number will be updated based on the average after each game they play in the season.
- Distinctive sounds starting games
- Head ref to record game time on score sheet

Things that are only being considered for the 2009 MPS Season:
- A full time Ultimate Reff will travel to every event and will be in charge of and will be responsible for the reffing staff that is provided by the fields. This will depend on A) If I can find someone willing and able and who will be a good ultimate and B) How much this person will charge to have this position.
- Allowing (1) one Open Class Player (L1) on a L2 roster.
- Over the winter I will try and create an instructional reffing DVD that all reffs must watch and possibly be quized on before they are able to ref at an event. The primary purpose isn't to teach them how to ref (as everyone has different techniquies), the primary purpose of the DVD will be to illustrate the rules of the MPS and a few other curtous things reffs can do to make things go smoother.
- Will re-word paint rule that teams who play both days can shoot paint from one day to the next.

Things that were discussed but will NOT happen:
- Full time reffing staff traveling to each event
- Replaying games with bad calls

Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 PM #68
big EB

big EB plays in the PSP
big EB supports Team VICIOUS
big EB plays in the APPA D2 division
One thing i remember from event 1 is that a team wasn't allowed to wear there jersey because of the padding on that jersey. Now, i don't think it would have been a problem if the jersey had been banned before the event, but they did seem a little upset when they were told about it during the captains meeting. I really don't have a suggestion for this, maybe a list of banned jerseys?
big EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 AM #69
DATRUPIMPWITANIMP
www.TEAMGRAFFITI.com

DATRUPIMPWITANIMP is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
They are no longer banned...
DATRUPIMPWITANIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:32 AM #70
Pflaumen
*913*

Annual Supporting Member
Pflaumen donated to help Peyton Trent
Pflaumen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Pflaumen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Pflaumen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I talked to you about this at the event Dan, but I'm just re-saying it here to see what others think.

If at all possible, could there be some way that we could get a set color of paint for events? That way, we could have a *safety color*, such as neon green/yellow or orange, much like the professional leagues do. At the last event, the paint color was bright neon yellowish green, and some players had pods that were very, very close in color. This could make a hit on a pod very hard to see for a ref, or another player.

Another thing: during one game a run-through happened, and that player got hit many times, and was obviously out. However, as many know, he could not stop IMMEDIATELY, which caused a 1 for 1 penalty, as he was "playing on." He did not shoot at anyone else, or turn to look for the next player, he only continued on down the line. Like in baseball, could we allow a player doing a run through to come to a stop at a reasonable speed while not shooting?

TLDR: A 1 for 1 was called because he did not stop immediately during a run through after being hit.

More will be added later.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM #71
fro_lock

i think mps doing there tournaments through the appa is the best thing ever, 2009 will sure be the best season yet.

"Originally posted by dontgotsaclu: frolock 08' for president of all things awesome"
fro_lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 AM #72
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
K-9 plays in the PSP
K-9 donated to help Peyton Trent
K-9 supports DLX Technology
Dan,
What about an addition of a Young Guns only division?
To attract the younger kids to play tourney paintball?

And what about a double's tourney?
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 AM #73
UneaK
Veni Vidi Vici

UneaK plays in the PSP
UneaK owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
UneaK supports Team VICIOUS
UneaK plays in the APPA D4 division
trophies?
UneaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM #74
pynis
Reagan owns my soul

pynis plays in the APPA D5 division
pynis is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
pynis is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by UneaK View Post
trophies?
what he said

"Originally posted by a_nxiety: screw ego's, everyone in the world shoots one. might as well sell them at hollister next to the pre-stained white hoodies and the jeans where knee's cost extra."
pynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 PM #75
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATRUPIMPWITANIMP View Post
There are only a few reasons to possibly ever replay a game. 1. Safety stoppage(Usually never happens) 2. False start that is caused by someone other then head ref. (Someone on the sideline yelling Go to false start a team, etc...)

Probably could have won? Shoulda, coulda, woulda...But you didn't. Now lets talk about the missed calls against you that you got away with, do you want to go ahead and thank the refs for missing them, I seen one of your teammates in one game get rid of or have wiped away by the same refs to clearly make up for the two calls that your *****ing about...Go ahead and thank them same refs, its the same guys that made a bad call against you. Go ahead we are all waiting....didn't think so.

All I hear are a bunch of excuses for loosing, If you would have stepped up every other game then you probably would not be blaming a ref now would you. If your team had played better the whole day then one or two bad calls should not have cost you. You have to bring your A game or plan on going home broke. I cant tell you how many bad calls we have gotten over the years, but We don't make excuses after the fact. Either you have "Game" or you have "Excuses". Winners win and loser make excuses...

Mayhem congrats with winning this event and L2 Series! See you boys at practice we have some pain awaiting you gents...LOL
Really? You sound like a clown. I don't even play with or around those guys, and getting called out for dropping a pod is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. They would have stomped you guys. Period. That kid had shot out your entire snake side, and was crawling past S2 when he got called out. I guess he didn't bring his A-game though. Too bad. I guess he will go home "broke" instead of almost recouping his costs like you, you stud. Lolercoaster.
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 AM #76
rubiusbeer40
MWM Captain

Doesn't JT make another jersey that can be worn instead of the staypuft marshmellow man padded all over jersey? I'm sure that jersey is great in practice.....but does it really have a place in a live tournament? The were banned at the first captains meeting......what changed? we need consistent MPS rules

things like velocity(fps), clothing, jerseys tucked in or out, and who is to be allowed to ref should not be in question from event to event. Following the MPS rules and guidlines should be something that a host field should be aware of when they agree to host an event.

How about having more than one event in Oklahoma? There is a high number of teams from Oklahoma that traveled to all of the 2008 events. Oklahoma deserves to have more than one event.

Dan, I appreciate your hard work all year. It's unfortunate that the last event ended the way that it did because of the agenda or lack of experience of a few people. It's too bad it came to that. thank you very much for your efforts.

Congrats to Mayhem we enjoyed playing you guys all season. You guys did it the hard way without cheap series points. Good luck in L1 next year
rubiusbeer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 AM #77
PaintballTourney2

Quote:
Doesn't JT make another jersey that can be worn instead of the staypuft marshmellow man padded all over jersey? I'm sure that jersey is great in practice.....but does it really have a place in a live tournament? The were banned at the first captains meeting......what changed?
- As far as the jerseys, the MPS will adopt the same rule as the NPPL when it comes to padded jerseys: "5.03 Padding in Jersey’s. Padding in Jersey’s is not limited to specific areas provided that the thickness does not exceed 5mm (0.197”). Padding material is limited to an open cell foam and must not be modified from the manufacture’s original form."

The NPPL requires that the jerseys be submitted to the NPPL Scrutineer before an event and accepted. I will not be doing this. What I will require however is a written statement from the manufacturer that the Jersey is 5mm or less in padding. Failure to provide such docuemention on any questionable jersy (such as the JT Jerseys) will deam the jersey illegal and can not be worn. JT should not have any problems producing this document if their jerseys are less than 5mm and if they want to sell their jerseys.

Quote:
we need consistent MPS rules
- I agree and with the hiring of the Ultimate Ref that will be at every event and will oversee the refing staff, there will be more consistancy in next season's events. It won't be perfect, but will be more consistant.

Quote:
How about having more than one event in Oklahoma? There is a high number of teams from Oklahoma that traveled to all of the 2008 events. Oklahoma deserves to have more than one event.
- I'm one step ahead of you. Already planning on two events in OK next season.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM #78
WILLIZ
Trend Setter

WILLIZ is a Supporting Member
WILLIZ plays in the PSP
WILLIZ plays in the APPA D2 division
Dan-

I know I did not participate in any of the events this year, which makes me sad, but from the changes the series looks very promising. I have been in Chicago playing the Chi-Town Series, and it was great, however your series looks to be even better! I really like the idea of having one L1 player on a L2 roster. But I would suggest changing the ramping from 15 to the legal PSP 13.33. I know next year I am going to come out to the events and get some teams in. Also what about having a Topgun event at every tournament? I know it may not be do-able with the number of teams, but its just an idea. I know there are plenty of people that would be interested.

Thanks again for giving the Kansas/Missouri/Oklahoma area a great series.

Justin Vandewynkle
Rock.Chalk.Jayhawk.
WILLIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 AM #79
PaintballTourney2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIZ View Post
Dan-

I know I did not participate in any of the events this year, which makes me sad, but from the changes the series looks very promising. I have been in Chicago playing the Chi-Town Series, and it was great, however your series looks to be even better! I really like the idea of having one L1 player on a L2 roster. But I would suggest changing the ramping from 15 to the legal PSP 13.33. I know next year I am going to come out to the events and get some teams in. Also what about having a Topgun event at every tournament? I know it may not be do-able with the number of teams, but its just an idea. I know there are plenty of people that would be interested.

Thanks again for giving the Kansas/Missouri/Oklahoma area a great series.

Justin Vandewynkle

Thanks for reminding me. The 13 bps rule is something that I am also seriously considering.

On the top gun, the last one tanked. I had 17 people say they were going to be there and then didn’t show up. I won’t be doing a top gun at every event… but I could see doing one at the end of the season next year.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:53 AM #80
vperstreet11a
splatterpb.com

national anthem!! gives it a national feel!
]you havent seen bad... but its comin
vperstreet11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:56 AM #81
vperstreet11a
splatterpb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneaK View Post
trophies?
]you havent seen bad... but its comin
vperstreet11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:36 PM #82
kwoodpaintballer87

Annual Supporting Member
the 13.3 bps rule sounds great to me
kwoodpaintballer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM #83
fancher
STORM

fancher plays in the PSP
fancher helped look for balloons
fancher plays in the APPA D4 division
13.3 wont make much difference and then peopel wil have to buy a new board or get theirs flashed. i dont think that it is that it is a big deal because my bps was never checked at he tourneys. the two that i went to, there was never a question over it. why bother and mess with it.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 PM #84
pynis
Reagan owns my soul

pynis plays in the APPA D5 division
pynis is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
pynis is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancher View Post
13.3 wont make much difference and then peopel wil have to buy a new board or get theirs flashed. i dont think that it is that it is a big deal because my bps was never checked at he tourneys. the two that i went to, there was never a question over it. why bother and mess with it.
i guess there will need to be better BPS checks from now on. i think that 13.33 BPS cap is a good idea because PSP plays with that format and a lot of people use MPS as a practice for a PSP event, am i right? most board updates are free anyway. plus with how everyone needs the newest, hottest markers nowadays your new 07 and up markers will come with the needed mods and caps.

"Originally posted by a_nxiety: screw ego's, everyone in the world shoots one. might as well sell them at hollister next to the pre-stained white hoodies and the jeans where knee's cost extra."
pynis is offline   Reply With Quote