Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 PM #1
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Equipment?

So, I'm buying a new house, and I'll have an extra bedroom in the basement that I'd like to turn into a workout room of sorts. The only serious piece of equipment I need is a power/squat cage (I've heard it called both), and a bench to go along with it. My biggest issue at this point is that I'm not sure where to look for equipment, or what I should expect to pay for it. Thus far all I've found is G&G Fitness. In particular, I was looking at this thing, which looked and felt pretty sturdy at the store. As far as a bench, I'm not really sure. I'd really like to keep the bench under 200, and it doesn't look like there's many that would fit in that category at this particular store.

Another concern I've got is the floor: as I recall the floor in this room is some form of tile, which means I should have a squishy pad sort of stuff on top of that. Anybody got any suggestions on where to get that stuff?

I know this isn't very well expressed, but this is new territory for me. If anybody's got some ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2008, 06:06 PM #2
Deceptiwave
Built to Endure

power rack, 500 pounds of weights, a good olympic bar, ez curl bar, ropes, chains, a good belt.
Thats a good foundation
God Bless The Man That Gets In My Way...
Lift Hard. Die Strong.
Deceptiwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:07 PM #3
karnavorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel View Post
So, I'm buying a new house, and I'll have an extra bedroom in the basement that I'd like to turn into a workout room of sorts. The only serious piece of equipment I need is a power/squat cage (I've heard it called both), and a bench to go along with it. My biggest issue at this point is that I'm not sure where to look for equipment, or what I should expect to pay for it. Thus far all I've found is G&G Fitness. In particular, I was looking at this thing, which looked and felt pretty sturdy at the store. As far as a bench, I'm not really sure. I'd really like to keep the bench under 200, and it doesn't look like there's many that would fit in that category at this particular store.

Another concern I've got is the floor: as I recall the floor in this room is some form of tile, which means I should have a squishy pad sort of stuff on top of that. Anybody got any suggestions on where to get that stuff?

I know this isn't very well expressed, but this is new territory for me. If anybody's got some ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Buying **** online will rape you sideways and back on shipping. I check craigslist from time to time and see some really good deals.

I haven't used many racks so I can't really point you one way or the other.

As for something to protect your floor, I've been using rubber mats that kitchens use so you don't slip and fall. Then again I'm a cheap piece of ****.

Edit:

http://www.ironcompany.com/

has some different options for flooring. not sure if their prices are high or not.

Each time he got through, he was told he needed to give a street address before an ambulance could be sent. "

Last edited by karnavorrr : 10-05-2008 at 06:11 PM.
karnavorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM #4
Basbakhan

Second deceptiwave. An oly bar and good assortment of weights is all you need. Stay away from the bull**** machines. Lots of olympic lifts, squats and DLs is all you need to stay strong and healthy. If you're looking for some other cheap equipment, look into putting some sandbags together. EBay an old army duffel bag, buy 150# of sand from menards and make 5# bags. Put the sand in the duffel and move it around til you puke.
Basbakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:20 PM #5
_V_ (Banned)

Im still looking for a place to get rope like that around here D.
_V_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM #6
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptiwave View Post
power rack, 500 pounds of weights, a good olympic bar, ez curl bar, ropes, chains, a good belt.
Thats a good foundation
I've got about 250 lbs of standard (1") weights and a bar which I'd guess to be fairly meh in quality. I was expecting to buy a better 1" bar to keep me for the time being (I'd really like collars I can slide on rather than the kind I have to screw on), and if I need to do over 300-350lbs I'll look into moving to an olympic bar. Sound fair?

Now for the nub questions. What are the ropes for? And is the belt necessary? I've been going without a belt doing squats until now, but I'll be the first to admit I still haven't got a 100% feel for the technique.

And as far as the buying online is concerned, that's pretty much why I'm looking at local stores more than online stores (G&G is about 20 minutes from the new house). The only possible exception to this is Amazon, because they'll do free shipping, so I've been looking at them too. I'm shying away from Amazon, though, because this is stuff that I'm literally trusting my life with, so I'd like to be able to touch it and make sure it's sturdy before I'm stuck with it.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:25 PM #7
karnavorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel View Post
I've got about 250 lbs of standard (1") weights and a bar which I'd guess to be fairly meh in quality. I was expecting to buy a better 1" bar to keep me for the time being (I'd really like collars I can slide on rather than the kind I have to screw on), and if I need to do over 300-350lbs I'll look into moving to an olympic bar. Sound fair?

Now for the nub questions. What are the ropes for? And is the belt necessary? I've been going without a belt doing squats until now, but I'll be the first to admit I still haven't got a 100% feel for the technique.

And as far as the buying online is concerned, that's pretty much why I'm looking at local stores more than online stores (G&G is about 20 minutes from the new house). The only possible exception to this is Amazon, because they'll do free shipping, so I've been looking at them too. I'm shying away from Amazon, though, because this is stuff that I'm literally trusting my life with, so I'd like to be able to touch it and make sure it's sturdy before I'm stuck with it.
A thick rope + pull ups = greatness. A belt is good for 1RM.

Each time he got through, he was told he needed to give a street address before an ambulance could be sent. "
Old 10-05-2008, 06:29 PM #8
OApb

OApb is for the Gunfight
OApb is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnavorrr View Post
A belt is good for 1RM.
personally I wear a belt anytime im lifting weights that are more then what Im comfortable lifting alone. better to be safe then sorry.

gearbag cleanout. Etha/rare jerseys and pants/dynasty shocker
OApb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:31 PM #9
karnavorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OApb View Post
personally I wear a belt anytime im lifting weights that are more then what Im comfortable lifting alone. better to be safe then sorry.
A stronger core will have you think twice about putting on the belt.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM #10
OApb

OApb is for the Gunfight
OApb is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnavorrr View Post
A stronger core will have you think twice about putting on the belt.
more about safety then core strength. I would rather put a belt on and squat 365 then try it without and have something tear. Like I said, if its a weight that I wouldn't lift alone, i toss on the belt to be safe. doesnt hurt anything, just personal preference.

Last edited by OApb : 10-05-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM #11
Mmmmm..Viking (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OApb View Post
more about safety then core strength. I would rather put a belt on and squat 365 then try it without and have something tear. Like I said, if its a weight that I would lift alone, i toss on the belt to be safe. doesnt hurt anything, just personal preference.

I like you.
Mmmmm..Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 PM #12
OApb

OApb is for the Gunfight
OApb is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmm..Viking View Post

I like you.
thanks bud

Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 PM #13
Deceptiwave
Built to Endure

get creative with the ropes...
lat pull downs with rope through the plate hole and over the top of the rack.
Lift Hard. Die Strong.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 PM #14
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

This is all great information, but the purpose of my asking is primarily where should I buy this stuff and what should I expect to pay for it?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM #15
Deceptiwave
Built to Endure

I say find an old gym or highschool looking to get rid of some stuff. The older the better.
Nautilus makes great racks, if you can find one for a decent price.
Old tires and a sledge hammer work good too.
Lift Hard. Die Strong.