Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 AM #43
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not saying they didnt do a beach landing and "clear" the airfield, I'm saying they didn't assault the beach and airfield like some people are implying. There were throngs of reporters standing on the beaches waiting for them, and there was no firefights during either operation.

The Army didn't "take over", they came back after U.S. forces were pulled out to do a different mission. Instead of defending the food supplies, the new mission was to go after the head of the biggest militia. Big policy change.
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 AM #44
Eric99BL

has been a member for 10 years
Eric99BL is a Professional paintball player
Okay If you do a RIP you dont just abandon a foothold and start from scratch they did a RIP

And they did assault the ports and airfields.. full on
Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM #45
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
Big P is a Supporting Member
Big P donated to help Peyton Trent
Big P supports Bob Gurnsey
Big P supports our troops
How many of you were there?

Movies and books will never tell the full story of what went on there, not just that day, but the rest of the time also. My wife was there with the Marines, even though she was Army, she was part of a Public Affairs Detachment Team (PAD Team) pretty much from the start.

I was there. I was attached to 75th Ranger at Benning and loaned to 3RD Bat. I did not take part in the raid that is so famous now, but was working the day/night it all went down.

I knew a great many of the Rangers on that raid, including Jimmy Smith (CPL James Smith). He was my room mate at the PLDC course at Benning when I was there.

There were others branches of the military included on that raid never mention wide spread in the story is told. Navy Seals. Air Force Combat Controllers, Air force OSA Agents. It was a pretty purple operation.

If I recall correctly the Fahter Adiad died from cancer.

If it works, take it apart and find out why.

I do not take PMs in regards to duties as a Mod. Please post all questions about this subject to the TTMA section.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 PM #46
PB*Rage (Banned)

that's cool BigP
PB*Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM #47
DyePaintballer2k11
Greek, I am it

DyePaintballer2k11 helped look for balloons
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Damn BigP

USAF
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.
And the machine is bleeding to death.
DyePaintballer2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 AM #48
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
I was wrong about a point though, Adiad died from issues due to a gunshot wound.

That operation from the start was a mess. Most people involved in it I think knew it was going to have issues. I bet they never dreamed it would turn out like it did though.

Hell, the task force guys (160th SOA) lost some great minds that day also. One of them was the father if the DAP (know known as the IDAP) helicopter.

I think about it and think about the loss of men who could have gone on and gave so much more to the Army in terms of ideas, and future combat equipment.

I dont mention it much as I dont want people to look at me and say that I am just saying I was there for the attention. THere were plenty of other people there who did far more then I did. I was a secure commo guy who they went out of their way to keep out of missions like this. While that sucks, I am proud to have been part of these guys.

They taught me so much more about soldiering then any course EVER will.

I do not take PMs in regards to duties as a Mod. Please post all questions about this subject to the TTMA section.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:05 PM #49
PB*Rage (Banned)

That's deep man.
PB*Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM #50
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
My grammer is awful today...I must proof my posts before I read them.

I work with a retired 160th guy, he flew in that operation, and also flew Chinooks in A-stan and Iraq. These guys are so intense its insane.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM #51
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

DM6 KILLA helped look for balloons
MSG Gordon and SFC shughart were exceptional soldiers, very brave men. and went way beyone the call of duty that day. but what people dont understand is that they did that because they knew it was the right thing to doi, not because they wanted to be hero's. and again, i think black hawk down made the rangers look stupid and kinda took away from the good they did that day.

like the scene where captain"steele's" men were shooting at delta by accident.

bottom line rangers deserve more credit for what happened that day, and most people dont understand that it was just bad timing for the raid. a SNAFU if you will.
BostonBrutality #5
www.comittedpaintball.com
www.allstarrpaintball.com
.OG Sandana Owners Club. Educate Yourself.
VSB
DM6 KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 PM #52
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 KILLA View Post
MSG Gordon and SFC shughart were exceptional soldiers, very brave men. and went way beyone the call of duty that day. but what people dont understand is that they did that because they knew it was the right thing to doi, not because they wanted to be hero's. and again, i think black hawk down made the rangers look stupid and kinda took away from the good they did that day.

like the scene where captain"steele's" men were shooting at delta by accident.

bottom line rangers deserve more credit for what happened that day, and most people dont understand that it was just bad timing for the raid. a SNAFU if you will.
I don't think it made us look stupid... they were EXTREMELY outnumbered and held their own, and accomplished their mission. Trust me, Friendly Fire like that isn't uncommon, they were in a high stress situation getting shot at from every which way
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM #53
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

yeah i know what you mean by that, but you dont think that the movie kinda dogged on rangers?
BostonBrutality #5
VSB
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM #54
JackH (Banned)

Quote:
yeah i know what you mean by that, but you dont think that the movie kinda dogged on rangers?
Not at all...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:35 PM #55
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Rangers and like are all people and in a high stress situation it gets harder to apply that "5th wpns safety rule"

BigP - was it true that not **** happened when the Marines were there but shortly after they left it went to hell?

I tried to talk about this with the guy in my class who was in 10th Mt. but he has some bad PTSD about this and the other stuff he did so I didn't want to push the issue.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 PM #56
JackH (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
Rangers and like are all people and in a high stress situation it gets harder to apply that "5th wpns safety rule"

BigP - was it true that not **** happened when the Marines were there but shortly after they left it went to hell?

I tried to talk about this with the guy in my class who was in 10th Mt. but he has some bad PTSD about this and the other stuff he did so I didn't want to push the issue.
I had an NSI in NJROTC in High School that was a Marine there... he said they took loads of sniper fire at the air field when they first got there
Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 PM #57
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:

My last NCOIC at Riley had been a SGT in the Marines and he went to somalia. He lost his pinky finger in a firefight so I guess there must have been some engagements.
berserker19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:07 AM #58
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
Quote:
i am so glad that someone has brought this up, there is no better form of bravery and heroism than what gordon and shughart showed that day, but they shouldent be the only men honored. everyone fought hard that day. IMO they should have let DELTA take the lead on that one and put rank aside. because Sergeant Sanderson the team leader had the right idea, to just take the prisoners back to camp and take the rangers back, then let Delta clean up. which is what happened anyways. we stayed in there too long. even LTC McKnight said that going into makahh market at daytime with no spectre gunships was a really bad idea. Hoot called it from the beginning at the briefing. it was a very unfortunate event. but things happen.. i hope to earn my own ranger tab after college and keep the lessons these men taught going
hahahahahah

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 AM #59
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

It went to **** because the marines were there on a peacekeeping mission. They were to protect the food shipments and stuff like that, and the firefights they did get into were in self defense. Somali's loved them because they were there for a good reason. Food was delivered, mission accomplished, they left.

When the Army came back, they came back as an offensive unit to go capture or kill Aidid and his men. Coupled with a few stupid decisions (such as blowing up the meeting where other senior militia men were considering handing over Aidid) and the fact that the Somali's saw them as aggressors instead of peacekeepers, then it went to ****.

I don't think the movie necessarily made the Rangers look dumb. I think it did a good job of showing the difference between the Rangers and the Delta guys. For 95 percent of the Rangers it was thier first time in a bad fight. Delta was a lot more experienced. Hence why they're Delta. But, the Rangers definitely did their job right and did it as good as you can under fire. Their training kept them alive in the middle of an entire city trying to kill them. Nothing the Rangers did was dumb. In a situtation where if it was any other unit it would have been a massacre and hundreds killed, the Rangers and Delta "only" lost 18 because of how well they fought.
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM #60
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
Quote:

As said, they took fire often...nothing more most of the time then pop shots from a door-way.

My wife had to fire her rifle in anger a few times. She had her nose broke when a person reached into her Humvee to take her sun glasses. The marine she was with jumped out and beat the hell out of the guy.

It was still a dangerous place, but not as then. Still bad though.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM #61
DM6 KILLA
I'm back haters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamakaziWatermelon View Post
hahahahahah
why is that so funny?
sorry i messe dup the name of the character with sergeant howe i think his name was.

whats wrong with wanting to be a ranger?
BostonBrutality #5
VSB
Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM #62
DarkRipper
Elite

Annual Supporting Member
DarkRipper is a founding member
DarkRipper is BST Legit
DarkRipper donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkRipper owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DarkRipper is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big P View Post
How many of you were there?

Movies and books will never tell the full story of what went on there, not just that day, but the rest of the time also. My wife was there with the Marines, even though she was Army, she was part of a Public Affairs Detachment Team (PAD Team) pretty much from the start.

I was there. I was attached to 75th Ranger at Benning and loaned to 3RD Bat. I did not take part in the raid that is so famous now, but was working the day/night it all went down.

I knew a great many of the Rangers on that raid, including Jimmy Smith (CPL James Smith). He was my room mate at the PLDC course at Benning when I was there.

There were others branches of the military included on that raid never mention wide spread in the story is told. Navy Seals. Air Force Combat Controllers, Air force OSA Agents. It was a pretty purple operation.

If I recall correctly the Fahter Adiad died from cancer.
Big P, tossing you a PM bro.

old school PBC admin... keeping it real

Please read and rate my reviews! =) ---> Here!
DarkRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 PM #63
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
Quote:
why is that so funny?
sorry i messe dup the name of the character with sergeant howe i think his name was.

whats wrong with wanting to be a ranger?
Nothing's wrong with wanting to be a ranger, if you're going that route, more power to you

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote