Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 AM #1
Tricky Ricky

Baracks

Soo... I'm looking into joining the army but no one ever seems to talk about the living conditions. I know they vary from each station but I want to get an idea of how it is.

Can you bring animals? Do you get your own room? How big are the rooms? Can you have people over(ie: your *****es )? Anyone have pics of their current living situation? Also, when do you get the opportunity to live off the base but have them pay for the housing?

"Originally posted by rigby: so when you're ****ing your girlfriend are you groping her abs and saying "ohh baby your stomach is so flat""
Tricky Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM #2
jcpaintballer92 (Banned)

I don't know for the army but for the marines I believe its Sargent to live off base if your married, for basic I can guarantee you there's no animals or girls aloud. Room size some bases are setup like the typical squad bay(one big room everyone in same room) some are setup like college dorm rooms.
jcpaintballer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:56 AM #3
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
On all the Army posts they are trying to get soldiers into the 'new style' barracks which are nice facilities with split rooms - you share a bath and kitchen but have your own good sized room with a big closet. However, most posts have a mix of those and the old barracks, because these are built in stages. The old barracks are usually horrible, and have 2 soldiers to a small room and have community bath/showers. So... it could go both ways depending on what post you go to. I'm pretty sure by now chances are you will be in the nicer new ones wherever you go. You cannot have animals, and yes you can have people over but not after a certain time at night (there will be an NCO on CQ duty). The only time you can live off base is if your commander approves it (generally if there is not enough room in the barracks) which isn't all that common. Or if you are E5 or E6.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM #4
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
I'll upload the photos when photobucket starts working for me again.

In the Marine Corps you can't have anamils if you're living in the baracks but if you're in on base housing I have no idea.

In order to live off base you need to be married and I think it's Sgt or higher.

I found a photo of my room from Okinawa Japan, we had 2 Marines to a room but when we were in 29 palms we had 3.

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.ph...8&id=571390521

Those rooms are like what big P said down 1 post they're rooms but we had 3 people in them and shared a common bathroom. Although the NCO ones had their own sinks

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 10-02-2008 at 12:56 PM.
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 AM #5
Big P
ZERO TOLERANCE

Big P is a Moderator
Big P is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Big P donated to help Peyton Trent
Big P supports Bob Gurnsey
Big P supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
On all the Army posts they are trying to get soldiers into the 'new style' barracks which are nice facilities with split rooms - you share a bath and kitchen but have your own good sized room with a big closet. However, most posts have a mix of those and the old barracks, because these are built in stages. The old barracks are usually horrible, and have 2 soldiers to a small room and have community bath/showers. So... it could go both ways depending on what post you go to. I'm pretty sure by now chances are you will be in the nicer new ones wherever you go. You cannot have animals, and yes you can have people over but not after a certain time at night (there will be an NCO on CQ duty). The only time you can live off base is if your commander approves it (generally if there is not enough room in the barracks) which isn't all that common. Or if you are E5 or E6.
As you said, it really depends on the post. When I was single and was at Fort McPherson in Atlanta with 3rd Army and FORCECOM HQ, I lived in the barracks. All soldiers had their own rooms in older WW2 style buildings but we shared a common bathroom. There was a Staff Duty NCO/Officer, but not CQ anyplace.

It was nice, but the rooms varied as to how good they were.

If it works, take it apart and find out why.

I do not take PMs in regards to duties as a Mod. Please post all questions about this subject to the TTMA section.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM #6
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
If you want to live off base, and aren't strapped for cash (you will be for a while) just move out. Keep your barrack's room clean for inspections if your command does them. I know where I live in GA, you can get a 1 bedroom appartment for $300 a month.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:06 PM #7
berserker19

From an NCO perspective, doing that (at least for my soldiers) would be a no go. If you were late for formation and I found out you were living off post without permission, I would light you up hard.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM #8
oreo
Undercover Brother

oreo is a Supporting Member
oreo is a Paintball photographer
Fort mead army barracks sucked ***. Air Force's new dorms are nice got a kitchen with 4 rooms each with there own bathroom connected together by a common day room.... the older dorms had 2 rooms connected to a bathroom and a kitchen. but now i live off base in my hown house payed for by the military at E-3
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:41 PM #9
Bucktoothbeaver

justavillain were you at camp hansen?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM #10
sHoCkA (Banned)

sHoCkA is a Supporting Member
Ft. Richardson, Alaska had some ****ty *** barracks for all the combat arms dudes. We had 2-3 guys sharing 1 man rooms. Our toilets clogged with ease and always overflowed onto the floor. Our water would sometimes get shut off completely for days at a time (one time it was turned off for over a week). When I left Alaska, they were building nice *** barracks. Hit or miss. Either you'll get spoiled like a little *****, or you'll get ****ed in the *** like a little *****. I was treated like the latter of the two.

edit - In my building, we had a community latrine. We had like 100 dudes sharing 6 showers, sinks, toilets, and urinals. Oh yeah, and our laundry room was always a complete ****ing disaster.

Last edited by sHoCkA : 10-02-2008 at 04:20 PM.
sHoCkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM #11
oreo
Undercover Brother

oreo is a Supporting Member
oreo is a Paintball photographer
where all the maintainers live, largest single dorm building in the Air Force the other picture shows the top of it.

Last edited by oreo : 10-03-2008 at 04:41 PM.
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 PM #12
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktoothbeaver View Post
justavillain were you at camp hansen?
I was there a few times, but I was at Camp Schwab(main barracks) Camp Foster(for pistol qual) and Camp Gonzales/JWTC most of the time.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 10-02-2008 at 09:25 PM.
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM #13
berserker19

Apparently if you're a SEAL at coronado you can live in these barracks...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvery/143053448/
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM #14
j-easy

what about officers barracks/dorms whatever? do they exist and what are they like?
j-easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM #15
Eric99BL

Eric99BL is a Professional paintball player
Its really hit or miss with the barracks, I know guys that have nice rooms.. I have a crappy room
Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 PM #16
summitlb

at ft cambell almost all the baracks are new... in ours we had 2 guys with 1 room (we set up wall lockers to make 2 rooms) that had a kitchen and a bathroom. the washing machines always broke down the electrical was **** the heat went out in the winter and when we got it fixed was stuck on well into july. just remember everything is made by the lowest bidder
Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM #17
pbman657 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
Apparently if you're a SEAL at coronado you can live in these barracks...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvery/143053448/
anyone else find the shape of the building offensive

pbman657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM #18
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbman657 View Post
anyone else find the shape of the building offensive

I do not find an "L" offensive, do you? I also don't find 4 of them offensive. Don't make me curb stomp you.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM #19
Eric99BL

ahah I see what your seeing pb man
Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM #20
underdog_153

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post

In the Marine Corps you can't have anamils if you're living in the baracks but if you're in on base housing I have no idea.

In order to live off base you need to be married and I think it's Sgt or higher.

I found a photo of my room from Okinawa Japan, we had 2 Marines to a room but when we were in 29 palms we had 3.

Those rooms are like what big P said down 1 post they're rooms but we had 3 people in them and shared a common bathroom. Although the NCO ones had their own sinks
looks alot like my room out here in 29
Old 10-03-2008, 11:11 PM #21
Eric99BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post

Why do you have a Poncho Liner as a bed spread bro? Go to the PX