Disarmer
Gig 'em

Disarmer helped look for balloons
Disarmer is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Disarmer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Disarmer is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Getting in shape for baseball

I've never truly been in shape in my life. I've always been fat~
Two weeks ago I was 6'1" 260 lbs, right now I'm 6'1" 252 lbs.

My goal is to lose 30 lbs and still have enough time to get stronger by february.

As of now, I've been watching what I eat a lot more, and working out occasionally.

I'm planning to start running at the track after school 2 days a week, and lift lightly 2 days a week. (Started today)

My weight workout is mainly upper body as of now, and my running is about 3/4 to 1 mile as fast as I can run it. (Which isn't that fast... usually run 3/4 of a lap, then walk 1/4, then repeat 3-4 laps... leaves me extremely out of breath and tired )

Any other suggestions guys?

tl;dr Need to lose weight, then get in shape. Ideas?
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM #2
generaltsao_rightnao (Banned)

bodybuilding.com

i'm pretty sure they should have articles dedicated to training for baseball.
generaltsao_rightnao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM #3
JoJoTheWhale
Always nice to meet a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
I've never truly been in shape in my life. I've always been fat~
Two weeks ago I was 6'1" 260 lbs, right now I'm 6'1" 252 lbs.

My goal is to lose 30 lbs and still have enough time to get stronger by february.

As of now, I've been watching what I eat a lot more, and working out occasionally.

I'm planning to start running at the track after school 2 days a week, and lift lightly 2 days a week. (Started today)

My weight workout is mainly upper body as of now, and my running is about 3/4 to 1 mile as fast as I can run it. (Which isn't that fast... usually run 3/4 of a lap, then walk 1/4, then repeat 3-4 laps... leaves me extremely out of breath and tired )

Any other suggestions guys?

tl;dr Need to lose weight, then get in shape. Ideas?

I have a heart problem and I can run longer than you.

Also Lift lightly twice a week? 3-4 times a week and not lightly.

Run more too.

A buffalo because they're dumb as ****." -Amperage
JoJoTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM #4
ghostcell

has been a member for 10 years
If you're lifting 3-4 times a week you're going to want to do lower body one day, then upper body the other, and repeat that.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 PM #5
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoTheWhale View Post
I have a heart problem and I can run longer than you.

Also Lift lightly twice a week? 3-4 times a week and not lightly.

Run more too.
The light lifting is because right now I'm really focusing on losing weight. I'll focus on building muscle afterwards... right now I just want to get rid of this ****. The 4 laps was just what I did today.. the first time I've ran in half a year

Like I said, I've NEVER been in true shape in my life. Its pitiful

EDIT : At ghost, I lift occasionally with lower body, but baseball needs a heck of a lot more upper body, so I do more of that~
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM #6
nfg2k

nfg2k is a Supporting Member
so much mis information already.. and not even 10 threads made.. yikes.

Quote:
The light lifting is because right now I'm really focusing on losing weight. I'll focus on building muscle afterwards... right now I just want to get rid of this ****. The 4 laps was just what I did today.. the first time I've ran in half a year

EDIT : At ghost, I lift occasionally with lower body, but baseball needs a heck of a lot more upper body, so I do more of that~
you need to research and read, a lot. light lifting because you want to lose weight? lol i don't even know what to say. do you even burst a sweat? lifting lightly isn't going to do **** all, and how to you expect to lose weight/tone your entire body? cardio isn't the answer to everything.
and just doing upper body is the stupidest **** ever, anyone who knows anything about weightlifting will agree with me. i rep 300+ and i do chest once a week, and im going up and up and up.
get a proper workout plan.

like i said... read, you have a lot to learn.

do you even know how many calories a day you eat? carbs? fat? do you know what you SHOULD be taking in ? you can't just run and lift weights and expect to be where you want. exercising is only like 20% of it, if that.

"Originally posted by *mwc*: holy ****, SizeOn has given me the endurance of a Kenyan. I could never run 8k, but i've done it 2 times in the past week and the only thing that stopped me was my legs were getting too sore to carry on. As for results in the weight room, haven't made anything more than normal in gains except for packing on 5 lbs (which is what i wanted). Almost done this container, probably take a 2 week break and get back on it."

Last edited by nfg2k : 10-01-2008 at 07:08 PM.
nfg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM #7
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg2k View Post
so much mis information already.. and not even 10 threads made.. yikes.

you need to research and read, a lot. light lifting because you want to lose weight? lol i don't even know what to say. do you even burst a sweat? lifting lightly isn't going to do **** all, and how to you expect to lose weight/tone your entire body? cardio isn't the answer to everything.
and just doing upper body is the stupidest **** ever, anyone who knows anything about weightlifting will agree with me. i rep 300+ and i do chest once a week, and im going up and up and up.
get a proper workout plan.

like i said... read, you have a lot to learn.

do you even know how many calories a day you eat? carbs? fat? do you know what you SHOULD be taking in ? you can't just run and lift weights and expect to be where you want. exercising is only like 20% of it, if that.
I said light lifting.. not ***** lifting Usually an hour or so lifting at 60-70% of max at various sets/reps depending on the day
The reason I say light lifting to lose weight is because I'm not that interested in gaining muscle mass at the moment. I'd rather keep my heart-rate up for as long as I can to burn as many calories as I can for the time being.

As far as my calories go, Estimated 2600 calories daily, need to eat like 2200ish? Not really too sure about it. Help here would be appreciated
Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM #8
brickcity
money's the best texture

Quote:

your crazy. a batter most of the power is generated from the hips and legs. pitcher is huge amount legs. baseball you want to be explosive on the field and on the bases which is mostly legs.

stop making excuses just because you dont like to work them out.

edit: why would you not want to gain muscle? being bigger and stronger in any sport is an advantage and you will lose your fat. You should care more about your bf% then your weight.
9:33 EST Mike fails. 6/24/08

Last edited by brickcity : 10-01-2008 at 07:14 PM.
brickcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM #9
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcity View Post
your crazy. a batter most of the power is generated from the hips and legs. pitcher is huge amount legs. baseball you want to be explosive on the field and on the bases which is mostly legs.

stop making excuses just because you dont like to work them out.
What about fielding? Arm strength is key.
I get the idea though... I'll start rotating legs in a lot more

By the way, I've had 3 knee surgeries already and I'm only 17, so anything done with legs hurts like ****. Including running... track is about the hardest thing I can run on.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM #10
brickcity
money's the best texture

Quote:
What about fielding? Arm strength is key.
I get the idea though... I'll start rotating legs in a lot more

By the way, I've had 3 knee surgeries already and I'm only 17, so anything done with legs hurts like ****. Including running... track is about the hardest thing I can run on.
yeah but you need to get to the ball and react quickly (see explosive)
9:33 EST Mike fails. 6/24/08
brickcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM #11
ChaoticReign Pbt
Invulnerable

If you're lifting right weight training is mucho beneficial to losing weight. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you're going to be burning at rest.

And work your damn legs!!! Seriously. They're a huge part of your body as far as mass goes. Find exercises that work for you.

Also I strongly push that for maximum fat loss with minimized loss of muscle that you do HIIT. Google it, you can use almost any exercise to do it.

Toy: 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14. DD: Stock 1996 5SPD XJ.

Fitchburg State College
ChaoticReign Pbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 PM #12
Dake
The Glitch Mob

Dake is playing at Living Legends III
Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM #13
nfg2k

nfg2k is a Supporting Member
Quote:
I said light lifting.. not ***** lifting Usually an hour or so lifting at 60-70% of max at various sets/reps depending on the day
The reason I say light lifting to lose weight is because I'm not that interested in gaining muscle mass at the moment. I'd rather keep my heart-rate up for as long as I can to burn as many calories as I can for the time being.

As far as my calories go, Estimated 2600 calories daily, need to eat like 2200ish? Not really too sure about it. Help here would be appreciated
k you obviously don't get it. when you lift you should lift as hard as you can and push yourself, lifting isn't just to gain muscle. and not lifting to your full potential IS ***** lifting. with your attitude you're not going to get much results. go read.

"Originally posted by *mwc*: holy ****, SizeOn has given me the endurance of a Kenyan. I could never run 8k, but i've done it 2 times in the past week and the only thing that stopped me was my legs were getting too sore to carry on. As for results in the weight room, haven't made anything more than normal in gains except for packing on 5 lbs (which is what i wanted). Almost done this container, probably take a 2 week break and get back on it."
nfg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM #14
Hu_Hi
dfsdsda

you dont need to be in shape to play baseball.
XBL:eXpl0it II
Hu_Hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM #15
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticReign Pbt View Post
If you're lifting right weight training is mucho beneficial to losing weight. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you're going to be burning at rest.

And work your damn legs!!! Seriously. They're a huge part of your body as far as mass goes. Find exercises that work for you.

Also I strongly push that for maximum fat loss with minimized loss of muscle that you do HIIT. Google it, you can use almost any exercise to do it.
I've read into HIIT and that may be the path I take with my running from now on.

So far advice i've gotten and will be using :
HIIT
Lower body lifting
lift as hard as possible
Run as hard as possible/much as possible

Anything else?

Thanks guys
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM #16
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
**** like this is actually what I recommend for people trying to lose weight who have knee issues, and prety much everyone else. It works extremely well. Cardio does not just involve running, or dronning on doing an endless amount of reps for something. Make it fun, make it intense and variable. Sledge hammers on tires, take an ax to a really big chunk of wood, flip tires, throw sand bags... There are ENDLESS amounts of things you can do for cardio, as long as you keep your heart rate up you'll get the benefits...

You need to get your diet down. Just guessing how many calories you're eating won't cut it. Figure out how many grams of carbs, protein and fat you're getting and then write that down and post it up. Actually measure out your food too, just reading the labels on food and saying you ate that much doesn't even come close. Serving sizes are usually 1/4 to 1/2 of what the average person actually eats.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM #17
Disarmer
Gig 'em

I'll try to do that... the only problem is during lunch at school and at dinner, I really can't measure that kinda stuff. Its prepared food, not straight from the store, so its not labeled.

Whats the best way to estimate foods like that?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM #18
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Go home and measure things out that you will eat, and get a very good feel for how the actual serving size looks. Eventually you should be able to eye-ball things pretty well. Get a feel for what a dry cup looks like, a fluid cup, 8 ounces of meat, etc. Then just try to look up the things you are eating online and find out...

Or you could just start preparing your own meals. It's cheaper and better for you than school lunches, and I'm sure your family would support you if you're trying to start eating better, so whoever cooks dinner can start taking those things into consideration.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM #19
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
Go home and measure things out that you will eat, and get a very good feel for how the actual serving size looks. Eventually you should be able to eye-ball things pretty well. Get a feel for what a dry cup looks like, a fluid cup, 8 ounces of meat, etc. Then just try to look up the things you are eating online and find out...

Or you could just start preparing your own meals. It's cheaper and better for you than school lunches, and I'm sure your family would support you if you're trying to start eating better, so whoever cooks dinner can start taking those things into consideration.
My mom has been cooking better stuff for me lately (Baked fries... really good , grilled/baked stuff instead of fried~)

I just need to find out how much each thing is. I'll try and get a good estimate soon for you guys
Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 PM #20
pr0n Kin6 (Banned)

For baseball? Drink lots of beer and eat a lot. You'll go pro in no time!

:nododgy:
pr0n Kin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM #21
Dake
The Glitch Mob

Dake is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0n Kin6 View Post
For baseball? Drink lots of beer and eat a lot. You'll go pro in no time!

:nododgy:
You seem to have lost your funneh. Look for it here.