PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 PM #1
ic_glock9
-I Make It Rain-

question for current service members and vets

Hey guys,

I'm 19 yrs old, a Sophomore in college. Throughout my teen years I have been fascinated, if you will, with the military. I've done serious thinking about enlisting in either the Marines or Army. I guess one of my reasons for not enlisting straight out of HS is the fact that my parents would be furious if I ever told told them I wanted to joined the armed services. I've hinted at it here and there over the years and they just gave me crap like: "Only dumb, immature boys join the military to get themselves killed, etc." Hearing stuff like that really offended me and I've come to the conclusion that they are just saying this because they were anti Vietnam hippies or just because they are looking out for my safety. Also, I decided I would do college to explore who I am and what I want to do with my life. Keep in mind I live in a middle-high class area (one of the highest income counties in the country, sry if irrelevant ...Now I know many of you will tell me something along the lines of "you are an adult, it is your decision to make", and yes I understand this but I need some clarification on some questions:

1. If I joined the military (Army or Marines) after college, would the GI Bill or some other type of financial reimbursement program help refund my college tuition?

2. Which branch gives out better benefits, Marines or Army?

3. Would, and if so how, would a college degree help me when I join and select a MOS?

If I joined one of the branches I would want a 'frontline' MOS, not something that would keep me out of harms way. My top choices would be infantry, sniper or a helo pilot. Can I get some info on the best way to get into these positions?

Thanks

Matt
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM #2
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic_glock9 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm 19 yrs old, a Sophomore in college. Throughout my teen years I have been fascinated, if you will, with the military. I've done serious thinking about enlisting in either the Marines or Army. I guess one of my reasons for not enlisting straight out of HS is the fact that my parents would be furious if I ever told told them I wanted to joined the armed services. I've hinted at it here and there over the years and they just gave me crap like: "Only dumb, immature boys join the military to get themselves killed, etc." Hearing stuff like that really offended me and I've come to the conclusion that they are just saying this because they were anti Vietnam hippies or just because they are looking out for my safety. Also, I decided I would do college to explore who I am and what I want to do with my life. Keep in mind I live in a middle-high class area (one of the highest income counties in the country, sry if irrelevant ...Now I know many of you will tell me something along the lines of "you are an adult, it is your decision to make", and yes I understand this but I need some clarification on some questions:

1. If I joined the military (Army or Marines) after college, would the GI Bill or some other type of financial reimbursement program help refund my college tuition?

2. Which branch gives out better benefits, Marines or Army?

3. Would, and if so how, would a college degree help me when I join and select a MOS?

If I joined one of the branches I would want a 'frontline' MOS, not something that would keep me out of harms way. My top choices would be infantry, sniper or a helo pilot. Can I get some info on the best way to get into these positions?

Thanks

Matt
1. Sort of.

2. Army

3. Not much, except you can do OCS, and a degree helps with promotions

best way to get into any MOS is get with a recruiter ASAP and just lay all this out and see what he can do.

And remember if it isnt in the contract its not a promise
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM #3
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
1. There is a new GI bill that is a full ride to any public school with 3 years of active service. Now is a great time to join if you want to go to school later (assuming you aren't stop lossed)
2. Benefits are the same, but promotions are generally faster in the Army, however even that is job dependent in any service. Infantry has very fast promotions.
3. No one cares if you have a college degree, but it will help a little to get promoted later on.
- 'sniper' is not an MOS in either service. You need to qualify for and be selected for training. Generally infantrymen are most likely to be snipers.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM #4
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
you only get the GI bill while you're going to college So if you're done you're SOL on the GI bill unless you want to go beyond the amount you're already done with. Unless you go officer in the USMC.

the benefits are the same in all the branches.

if you have a college degree you can be either enlisted or officer. If you go officer there is 2 options Ground or Air. Just like it sounds you'll either be ground or air.

If you choose officer there is a program for OCC(OCS) that will repay up to 30,000 in student loans. But if you don't have any of those then you don't need that it just tacks on more time. If you choose to join now and want to be an officer then you can go to PLC and get more money for college then just the GI bill. But if you choose any of the forms of help other then the GI bill it will add more time on to your contract.

Ground = 3.5 years w/no extras or up to 5 with all the extra education stuffs
Air = 6/8 depending on your MOS choice up to 8/10 for all the extra education stuffs.

I just had a class on this crap 3 days ago by an Officer Selection Officer He is a Capt. He is pretty much a recruiter for officers only for prior enlisted.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 PM #5
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Well the benefits are the same, but remember guys, bonuses do vary by service
Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 PM #6
justavillain
I've got nothing

but if you're in for the money I don't want you in my Unit or doing ops with my unit. Also right now in the USMC if you complete OCC you get a 4,000 bonus instantly on grad day. not huge but it's pretty big for the USMC.

Oh and I don't think officers can really be snipers since they are usually the Plt. CO's/CO/XO and what not in the Inf. It'd look pretty bad if an officer gets caught doing sensitive ops.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 09-24-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 PM #7
berserker19

If you make any decision based on a bonus you are a moron, but it is nice if there happens to be one for what you want to do. I could have got a 7.5k sign on for doing 3 in the guard instead of 1... but honestly, is the money (minus tax) really worth it?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM #8
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
If you make any decision based on a bonus you are a moron, but it is nice if there happens to be one for what you want to do. I could have got a 7.5k sign on for doing 3 in the guard instead of 1... but honestly, is the money (minus tax) really worth it?
Oh I know, I was just throwing that out there, knowledge is knowledge
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM #9
berserker19

Funny thing is I was in the exact same postion as the OP.. my sophomore year in college I just thought 'this is bull****' and decided to randomly join the infantry. My dad retired two years early since he didn't need to pay for tuition anymore.
haha I'm setting up my molle gear right now while watching leprechaun in the hood on BET.. good times
Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM #10
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
Funny thing is I was in the exact same postion as the OP.. my sophomore year in college I just thought 'this is bull****' and decided to randomly join the infantry. My dad retired two years early since he didn't need to pay for tuition anymore.
haha I'm setting up my molle gear right now while watching leprechaun in the hood on BET.. good times
you getting deployed again?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM #11
ic_glock9
-I Make It Rain-

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression to some of you. I would never join just for the bonuses or to get reimbursement for college, I am not one of those people. I am an American and as corny as it may sound coming from someone my age, I am a Patriot. Unlike a lot of Americans, I haven't forgotten 9/11. A lot of people don't know jack **** when it comes to what is goin down in Iraq and Afghanistan; I am not one of those people. Like most of you, I feel an obligation to serve my country. I want a piece of the Taliban/Al Quada/insurgency.

and thanks for the responses, lots of useful info
Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 PM #12
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression to some of you. I would never join just for the bonuses or to get reimbursement for college, I am not one of those people. I am an American and as corny as it may sound coming from someone my age, I am a Patriot. Unlike a lot of Americans, I haven't forgotten 9/11. A lot of people don't know jack **** when it comes to what is goin down in Iraq and Afghanistan; I am not one of those people. Like most of you, I feel an obligation to serve my country. I want a piece of the Taliban/Al Quada/insurgency.

and thanks for the responses, lots of useful info
That's the spirit kiddo

Quite honestly after my first tour in Iraq I lost that whole I'm Mel Gibson from Patriot hear me roar attitude (no offense)

Once you get in the **** it's like they all say, it's not about America and Applie Pie, it's about the guy to the left and to your right
Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 PM #13
berserker19

Don't get me wrong glock what you are thinking gets a in my book, a lot of people here have been in your position before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
you getting deployed again?
No, just breaking my gear out of the closet pending getting my TA50 issue.. My first drill is in a couple weeks. My unit might be going to Afgh next year but its still up in the air.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 PM #14
ic_glock9
-I Make It Rain-

Quote:
That's the spirit kiddo

Quite honestly after my first tour in Iraq I lost that whole I'm Mel Gibson from Patriot hear me roar attitude (no offense)

Once you get in the **** it's like they all say, it's not about America and Applie Pie, it's about the guy to the left and to your right
yes I understand that.

like Hoot says in BHD, "it's about the men next to you."
Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 PM #15
ic_glock9
-I Make It Rain-

Dropping out of college after sophomore year isn't very realistic in my situation. Something drastic would have to change to make me 100% military. I want to finish up my 4 yrs and see where I am at and go from there.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 PM #16
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
Don't get me wrong glock what you are thinking gets a in my book, a lot of people here have been in your position before.

No, just breaking my gear out of the closet pending getting my TA50 issue.. My first drill is in a couple weeks. My unit might be going to Afgh next year but its still up in the air.
Glad you got back in okay, what's your rank sitting at?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM #17
justavillain
I've got nothing

you can join the reserves and get the GI bill to help pay for college, you'd be taking 1 semester off for boot/SOI. then after that you can go to OCC and get your commission in the USMCR. That is another option.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 PM #18
ic_glock9
-I Make It Rain-

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
you can join the reserves and get the GI bill to help pay for college, you'd be taking 1 semester off for boot/SOI. then after that you can go to OCC and get your commission in the USMCR. That is another option.
Interesting point, does this only go for the USMC or Army as well? Either way i would most likely do USMC. So take a semester off to do boot and SOI(what is SOI?), finish up college, and then I can do OCC and get commissioned in the USMC? Joining reserves while in college will help pay for college?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 PM #19
berserker19

Quote:
Glad you got back in okay, what's your rank sitting at?
I was only out for a year, so I'm still at E5. I decided I should stay in the mix since I want to apply for OCS next year when I have my degree.
Villain, I'm not sure how well the reserve option would work considering the new MGIB is prorated off time served on active callup. There might be tuition assistance, but it doesn't look like you'd get any VA money.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 PM #20
JackH (Banned)
13/f/cali

Quote:
Interesting point, does this only go for the USMC or Army as well? Either way i would most likely do USMC. So take a semester off to do boot and SOI(what is SOI?), finish up college, and then I can do OCC and get commissioned in the USMC? Joining reserves while in college will help pay for college?
SOI is your "job school"

and yes everything he said is true
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM #21
ic_glock9
-I Make It Rain-

Quote:
SOI is your "job school"

and yes everything he said is true
Ok thanks. This is something I will definitely think about and run by my parents in the next few weeks. What would be the process for doing this?

Edit: I'm on here going back and forth with you guys when I should be typing up a philosophy paper. Looks like I'll be up a couple more hours tonight.