Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 PM #22
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTwi View Post
In order to prove a theory as a law, you need to have a controlled experiment that can be duplicated several times which created first hand evidence. Seeing how nobody can create a test about evolution and duplicate it over and over again, it is impossible to prove evolution.

Seeing how nobody can seem to get a hold of God, and there is no physical evidence of creationism, that too is unproven.
1. Theories do not become laws within science. It has never happened nor will it happen. In fact, they are two separate tiers. A scientific law does not start out as a scientific theory. The fact that something is labeled a scientific theory does not reflect uncertainty within the scientific community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald H. Matson Ph.D. Kennesaw State University
Regardless of which definitions one uses to distinguish between a law and a theory, scientists would agree that a theory is NOT a "transitory law, a law in waiting". There is NO hierarchy being implied by scientists who use these words. That is, a law is neither "better than" nor "above" a theory. From this view, laws and theories "do" different things and have different roles to play in science. Furthermore, notice that with any of the above definitions of law, neither scientists nor nature "conform" to the law. In science, a law is not something that is dictated to scientists or nature; it is not something that a scientist or nature has to do under threat of some penalty if they don't conform.
http://science.kennesaw.edu/~rmatson/3380theory.html

2. Abiogenesis =/= Evolution.

3. I assume you are talking about macro-evolution (as in speciation via natural selection), and not micro-evolution.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 09-27-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 AM #23
MyNaMeIsNoTBoB
It's not.
 
MyNaMeIsNoTBoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Phoenix
I dislike Bill Maher greatly, but idea of the movie is interesting.
MyNaMeIsNoTBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 AM #24
xxX|YoYo|Xxx
Why so serious?
 
xxX|YoYo|Xxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nor*Cal
We can't really prove anything even if the earth is billions or 1000's of years ago it is the same argument you can't prove it I can't disprove it. You say Carbon 14 dating but how do we know if that is at all accurate. I don't know why these people feel the need to try and strike down others beliefs. If someone wants to preach their religion let them and if you don't like it don't listen. If someone comes up to you and smacks you with some bible verses just say your not interested tell them to leave you alone and if you feel like they won't leave you alone then move. I have heard from the most stubborn Fundamentalist and the same with atheists. There is really no convincing them of something else. From what I saw of this movie it is this guy just prancing around saying everyone is wrong without providing evidence or likewise from the other group. Maybe if he got with the Pope and talked with him or other religious LEADERS not just the average person off the street who is carrying a bible.
__________________
"Originally posted by sniperx117: they all suck"
"Originally posted by seanrquinn: what, do you want me to paint it black and add a 5 lb chunka lead so it'll be like your tippy?"
"Originally posted by Charlie_Boy:
You are a SAINT. AN ABSOLUTE SAINT, GOD, DEITY."
"Originally posted by PeteSterE:your awesome plain and simple."
xxX|YoYo|Xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 PM #25
SecondRequiem
2k2'er at heart
 
SecondRequiem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
I saw it at TIFF, and boy was it incredible. The protesters outside made me enjoy the experience even more.

Must watch in my eyes.
__________________
Not splatt :dodgy: 09-06-2003
SecondRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 AM #26
MaTTiE
l337moomoo
 
MaTTiE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: socal
 has been a member for 10 years
Content looks good. "Star" of it is meh. Glad to see that is focuses mainly on western religion.
MaTTiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM #27
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden
 
HuktAwnFoniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Religulous-3380.html
HuktAwnFoniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 AM #28
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
I would call this the "only issue" I ahve with these types of movies, but in reality it is a VERY big issue.

not to be arrogant, but the reason I hate them is they would never dare to include interviews or anything with people like myself, shaka zulu, Rambo Preacher, etc. Actually, I should remove myself from that list, sicne I'm not religious. But true theologians, not the Westboro Baptist Church, crazy ****s like that that twist religion/the bible to be something it's not. There would be no "shock value" to it, no anti-religious zealots (ironic, eh?) who would make big waves about how great the movie is. However, unlike what the person above posted, this movie IS about your every-day religious person. By parading out their dirty laundry, the zealots and crazies without a balanced view from the rational/reasonable mainstreamers, you are insulting them and lumping them all together, and insinuating that anyone who follows a religion must be an idiot.

I might see the movie, but I'll be damned if I pay for it. It will probably annoy me as much as Supersize Me.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 AM #29
DayoftheGreek
I hate you
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
As long as he makes fun of religious people I might go see it.
__________________
FEEDBACK: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=665897

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:20 PM #30
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden
 
HuktAwnFoniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/...videoId=186756
HuktAwnFoniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 PM #31
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
I'm stoked.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 AM #32
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
I would call this the "only issue" I ahve with these types of movies, but in reality it is a VERY big issue.

not to be arrogant, but the reason I hate them is they would never dare to include interviews or anything with people like myself, shaka zulu, Rambo Preacher, etc. Actually, I should remove myself from that list, sicne I'm not religious. But true theologians, not the Westboro Baptist Church, crazy ****s like that that twist religion/the bible to be something it's not. There would be no "shock value" to it, no anti-religious zealots (ironic, eh?) who would make big waves about how great the movie is. However, unlike what the person above posted, this movie IS about your every-day religious person. By parading out their dirty laundry, the zealots and crazies without a balanced view from the rational/reasonable mainstreamers, you are insulting them and lumping them all together, and insinuating that anyone who follows a religion must be an idiot.

I might see the movie, but I'll be damned if I pay for it. It will probably annoy me as much as Supersize Me.
That's a very good point. Controversy sells. Because of this, you most likely won't see any moderate, rational people on there. Just nut jobs who provide Maher with an easy target due to their absurdity.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 AM #33
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
He's a gigantic douchebag. Even when he talks with John Stewart he's a complete arrogant *******. I didn't think it was possible. I hope he gets hit by a city bus while hes drinking his overpriced Starbucks coffee.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 PM #34
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
He's a gigantic douchebag. Even when he talks with John Stewart he's a complete arrogant *******. I didn't think it was possible. I hope he gets hit by a city bus while hes drinking his overpriced Starbucks coffee.
He came off to me as trying to be Dawkins, but without the British accent and extensive knowledge in the field of biology.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:53 PM #35
tuna
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
I love Bill Maher. I watch Real Time religiously. Of course... the reason I think he's funny is because I see truth in what he says because we have similar worldviews.

Come on guys you have to grow some perspective. Sometimes people will see the world differently than you do. If you can't even empathize with another American with only a very marginally different outlook than you... well then you clearly aren't prepared for the reality that there are many billion other humans on this world besides Americans, that often have a completely different understanding of the world, different social constructions, etc.

The guy doesn't believe in a religion. He makes a living by being able to play the role of the funny smug smartass. That's just how he makes his living and he probably couldn't make as much any other way. Stop taking it so personally.
tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 PM #36
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
I love Bill Maher. I watch Real Time religiously. Of course... the reason I think he's funny is because I see truth in what he says because we have similar worldviews.

Come on guys you have to grow some perspective. Sometimes people will see the world differently than you do. If you can't even empathize with another American with only a very marginally different outlook than you... well then you clearly aren't prepared for the reality that there are many billion other humans on this world besides Americans, that often have a completely different understanding of the world, different social constructions, etc.

The guy doesn't believe in a religion. He makes a living by being able to play the role of the funny smug smartass. That's just how he makes his living and he probably couldn't make as much any other way. Stop taking it so personally.
Nobody's taking it personally. I actually hold an extremely similar worldview as Maher does (atheism takes as much faith as religion, but I am an agnostic). However, the people he interviews are hardly representative of the religious culture in America. They are bonafide whackos. If he wants to make a sincere point, as opposed to something purely comedic, he should interview rational people who are able to soundly present their perspectives.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 PM #37
tuna
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Nobody's taking it personally. I actually hold an extremely similar worldview as Maher does (atheism takes as much faith as religion, but I am an agnostic). However, the people he interviews are hardly representative of the religious culture in America. They are bonafide whackos. If he wants to make a sincere point, as opposed to something purely comedic, he should interview rational people who are able to soundly present their perspectives.
The director is from Borat. If you think he's trying to get into a sincere debate, then I disagree and you are taking it personally.

Which is besides the point that in Maher's mind (and many atheists), you don't need a smart and composed man to tell you that god looks over us and there are talking snakes and homosexuals should be discriminated against. Its all ridiculous to him.
tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM #38
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
I love Bill Maher. I watch Real Time religiously. Of course... the reason I think he's funny is because I see truth in what he says because we have similar worldviews.

Come on guys you have to grow some perspective. Sometimes people will see the world differently than you do. If you can't even empathize with another American with only a very marginally different outlook than you... well then you clearly aren't prepared for the reality that there are many billion other humans on this world besides Americans, that often have a completely different understanding of the world, different social constructions, etc.

The guy doesn't believe in a religion. He makes a living by being able to play the role of the funny smug smartass. That's just how he makes his living and he probably couldn't make as much any other way. Stop taking it so personally.
Oh, I 'agree' with him too, but he comes off as such a gigantic douchebag, it's kind of untolerable. He's always making patronizing under-the-breath type jokes, clearly being partisan. All around, he's just a gigantic douche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
He came off to me as trying to be Dawkins, but without the British accent and extensive knowledge in the field of biology.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 AM #39
berserker19
 
 
berserker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rampart Range
berserker19 is an NCPA player
I saw this movie at a film festival and thought it was great if not just for the laughs.. was mad to find out today that no theatres anywhere near me will be showing it. It looks like the carmike franchise simply decided to not buy any copies of the film because of the controversy surrounding its subject matter. private censorship
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:50 AM #40
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden
 
HuktAwnFoniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
I saw this movie at a film festival and thought it was great if not just for the laughs.. was mad to find out today that no theatres anywhere near me will be showing it. It looks like the carmike franchise simply decided to not buy any copies of the film because of the controversy surrounding its subject matter. private censorship
It's a limited release film. Only theaters that play limited release films will show it unless it does really well in those theaters, in which case they will re-release it on a large basis. Has nothing to do with censorship.
HuktAwnFoniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 PM #41
MaTTiE
l337moomoo
 
MaTTiE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: socal
 has been a member for 10 years
Just got back from seeing it. It was ok.

Bill Maher wasn't that annoying. He just talked to ridiculous people trying to exploit their religion (Judaism, Christianity, or Islam). Then made some spontaneous and ridiculous point at the end about how following religion with a focus of entirety will end the world.

Basically anyone who has questioned god at some point should be like "PSSH, WHAT'S NEW BILL MAHER?"
MaTTiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:34 AM #42
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick
 
WorldStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Just got back from it. Very funny movie, but the clear bias really kept me from feeling convinced. Maher tries early on to say that he's preaching only doubt, but in all honesty the editing and phrasing in the movie seems to take an obvious Atheism standpoint.

However,
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
I almost died when the Arkansa Senator said "Well you don't need an IQ test to become a Senator."
__________________
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump