Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 PM #43
JESTERTLS

Al Steel, Darn straight! Same thing our main tank builders said, "take what ever you figure its gonna cost you, and triple it, and you will have enough." Then the transport vehicle and fuel for it are a big expense. Especially if you are doing games a few states away like ION or D-Day.

Now on the coroplast you can actually get it alot thicker then just the little thin stuff. I've been looking into it for the armor on my next tank. Ferg with CDWC actually has a very limited bit of armor on the Wallace made out of I believe inch coroplast. And it holds up extremly well. There's a few places you can order it on the web. I figure it wil take care of the warping issue I had and then killing a decent bit of weight.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM #44
Boom Master
Scenario Player

A PVC pipe and netting walking tank is basically a dixie cup tank. Use it several times and you will break it enough that you have to throw it away.

I could not find any pic of that walking tank...

Yes, walking tanks are low budget. first you don't have to spend a dime on a base vehicle. Pretty much anything that rolls will cost $1500 -2000 and then you start building and modifiying.

The shell of mine was expensive at $500 in materials. but the entire tank weighs 18 pounds until I start installing the paintball gear. Still comes in battle ready at 65 pounds.. Got 4 seasons out of my first one before it reached the point of no return...

If you make it small enough, you can haul it in a mini van or pickup. Mine is two piece and fits in the van.

The trick is making it light enough to have fun playing in it. If you are dragging or rolling it, 100 pounds up a steep hill can start losing its appeal.

I was at a game with a Gyphon PUG. Only one guy on the whole team would play in it and he was limited to an hour or so before he was exhausted...

If you are carrying it, Don't go over that 65 pound mark unless you are in really good shape..

Walking tanks are often allowed off tank roads. No safety issues except to yourself... . They can use cover like bunkers and trees when engaged against laws or armor. You can dodge sideways. Can't do that is a golf cart.

If you need help, let me know... I share all my stuff with anyone that wants to make a build. Ditto breech loading cannons, etc.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM #45
viper-mayhem

If I could ask the question about using a riding mower? I have seen good used ones for about $150-$300 which are in working condition. I have also seen wagons for them less than $100. My question is if you can rig a cover/netting for the driver and make a box for the wagon with a turrent on top, would that be allowed on fields? Of course the deck would be taken off for safety purpose...lol.

http://sinisterops.com
viper-mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:25 AM #46
Michael Copeland

Here's what you can do to a standard vehicle, if you want a PAV and not a realistic looking tank:

We have a blast at Ok D-day with it every year, but as stated in several posts above, they can become bottomless money pits!
Good luck on your build.
Have a good one!
Michael Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 AM #47
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Chloroplast was not the material of choice for me. It will split when hit with a paintball. You will be replacing it shortly. Some guys say it works. Personal experience by me say no.

Go shoot some paintballs at it from 20 feet away. You can get a sample out of the scrap bin at you local sign making store. They can also order your chloroplast for you with their next order. Shipping is a bear if you want 4x8 sheets. Won't come except by truck so your shipping will probably cost more than your order.. So that sign store will be happy to split the shipping with you.

4" x 4 foot x 5 foot is about as large a package you can ship and you are still paying for an oversized package.

Now here is what I use. Polycarbonate twin wall 6mm or 1/4" is what I use. A 4'x8' sheet is 7.25 pounds.

You can empty a hopper point blank at it and it will not break or split.
They use it for roofs on greenhouses, pools, etc. It take hail. Polycarbonate is what they make safety glasses out of and you will note it ain't cheap but buy the time you replace your chloroplast once, you will be out the same money...

Here is the website link.

http://www.modernplastics.com/macrol...cts-c-106.html

There are other manufacturers. Search Twin wall "Polycarbonate"

But this is the only place I can find that sells the polycarbonate profiles to put it together with.

This is the link to the specs.

http://www.macrolux-emp.com/product_...ducts_id=13799

You put it together with these profiles.

http://www.modernplastics.com/macrol...le-p-1141.html

Now both my walkers are backpack based "Mech Warriors" inspired by the Star Wars ATST....

Used your standard Army Surplus ALICE frame ($40-60 without the canvas pack)

My first walking tank screwed this polycarbonate onto the frame. Over 4 seasons of replacing bent frame pieces, I noted that the "armor plate" polycarbonate was holding up better than the frame and taking a LOT more abuse while doing it.

My second walker eliminated the frame. The polycarbonate was the structural material the body was made out of. Used those polycarbonate profiles and literally glued it together with a 8 oz bottle of super glue from my hobby store.

Here is a pic under construction

And with the first coat of paint and autoloading cannon installed minus the "chicken legs"

As you can imagine WEIGHT was the critical factor. That is the PROBLEM with every walking tank including mine. They get heavy real quick. Remember if you have a RPG, marker, paint, nerf, Two air tanks etc. You are hauling 35 pounds of GEAR. Then add the weight of a tank to push drag or carry up and down all the hills in the heat...

Would you believe that poly carbonate "monobody" weighs only 15 pounds with no paintball gear in it? NOBODY does. They think I will wear out in a couple of hours or so. Then they think I'm ex special forces or a triathalon guy. I just tell them I'm Superman's Uncle....

Well I had to upgrade mine a bit with an autoloading cannon and a 20 pound (500ci x 3000) air tank so it is battle ready at 65 pounds. It still gives me a workout but they won't let me run in it. So I just stroll around the field causing trouble.

Well, this polycarbonate twin wall is the material of choice for a walking tank where weight is a major consideration.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 PM #48
ausman08

have you ever tried using a lawn mower with a good muffler
ausman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:10 PM #49
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
Chloroplast was not the material of choice for me. It will split when hit with a paintball. You will be replacing it shortly. Some guys say it works. Personal experience by me say no.

Go shoot some paintballs at it from 20 feet away. You can get a sample out of the scrap bin at you local sign making store. They can also order your chloroplast for you with their next order. Shipping is a bear if you want 4x8 sheets. Won't come except by truck so your shipping will probably cost more than your order.. So that sign store will be happy to split the shipping with you.

4" x 4 foot x 5 foot is about as large a package you can ship and you are still paying for an oversized package.

Now here is what I use. Polycarbonate twin wall 6mm or 1/4" is what I use. A 4'x8' sheet is 7.25 pounds.

You can empty a hopper point blank at it and it will not break or split.
They use it for roofs on greenhouses, pools, etc. It take hail. Polycarbonate is what they make safety glasses out of and you will note it ain't cheap but buy the time you replace your chloroplast once, you will be out the same money...

Here is the website link.

http://www.modernplastics.com/macrol...cts-c-106.html

There are other manufacturers. Search Twin wall "Polycarbonate"

But this is the only place I can find that sells the polycarbonate profiles to put it together with.

This is the link to the specs.

http://www.macrolux-emp.com/product_...ducts_id=13799

You put it together with these profiles.

http://www.modernplastics.com/macrol...le-p-1141.html

Now both my walkers are backpack based "Mech Warriors" inspired by the Star Wars ATST....

Used your standard Army Surplus ALICE frame ($40-60 without the canvas pack)

My first walking tank screwed this polycarbonate onto the frame. Over 4 seasons of replacing bent frame pieces, I noted that the "armor plate" polycarbonate was holding up better than the frame and taking a LOT more abuse while doing it.

My second walker eliminated the frame. The polycarbonate was the structural material the body was made out of. Used those polycarbonate profiles and literally glued it together with a 8 oz bottle of super glue from my hobby store.

Here is a pic under construction

And with the first coat of paint and autoloading cannon installed minus the "chicken legs"

As you can imagine WEIGHT was the critical factor. That is the PROBLEM with every walking tank including mine. They get heavy real quick. Remember if you have a RPG, marker, paint, nerf, Two air tanks etc. You are hauling 35 pounds of GEAR. Then add the weight of a tank to push drag or carry up and down all the hills in the heat...

Would you believe that poly carbonate "monobody" weighs only 15 pounds with no paintball gear in it? NOBODY does. They think I will wear out in a couple of hours or so. Then they think I'm ex special forces or a triathalon guy. I just tell them I'm Superman's Uncle....

Well I had to upgrade mine a bit with an autoloading cannon and a 20 pound (500ci x 3000) air tank so it is battle ready at 65 pounds. It still gives me a workout but they won't let me run in it. So I just stroll around the field causing trouble.

Well, this polycarbonate twin wall is the material of choice for a walking tank where weight is a major consideration.
did dale finally make it to pbnation? welcome brother, good to see the pics
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM #50
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yeah, Warpig traffic is zip. After the last crash very few people came back. Very few views and members. Not abandoning it but sharing info elsewhere.