Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM #22
lukster14
"CupCake"

thing is with that rule set is that it greatly restricts the number of people who can design and build a tank. When I began my tank, from my jeep grand cherokee, I added an internal and external kill switch, new shocks/ suspension elements, new brakes, I also rigged up a governor to keep it around 12 mph at full throttle(the extra power is in case i need to get it over logs, or out of some mud or some such.) And then, to support the vehicle, in the event that it flips, I installed a roll bar too. So I did all this. Then, as per new york state minimum requirements, i have it insured for liability of over 100k. But as per those rules, All of my documented repairs mean nothing, because it is a former road vehicle. The problem with a super tight regulations is that they, while admirable, and in place for a reason, do not permit many people into this little club.

And I was thinking, Could we instead set up a set of standards that a road vehicle tank would have to pass in order to be given the "seal of approoval" so to speak. The trend away from the entrepreneurial nature of tanking is disturbing, especially when some of the safest designs can be produced from land vehicles. Safest for the crew, and safest for the other players.

I know I'm not the most experienced with tanking, but I'd prefer not to get shut out of the game before I ever get the chance to get into it for real.
"Lemmaximus Giganticus" #999
I'm "cupcake" the 300 pound ghillie guy
"LOOK OUT, Its Sasquach... oh wait no, its just a fat guy in ghillie" ion 08
"Hmmm angry happy faces... is that supposed to be a contradiction or somthing???"
Proud owner of palmer superstocker PS137, and one of the 1 of 5 "happy" etec2's
and an 08 stars and striped ego
http://www.pbnation.com/feedbackdeta...34418&u=416763 feedback
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM #23
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukster14 View Post
thing is with that rule set is that it greatly restricts the number of people who can design and build a tank. When I began my tank, from my jeep grand cherokee, I added an internal and external kill switch, new shocks/ suspension elements, new brakes, I also rigged up a governor to keep it around 12 mph at full throttle(the extra power is in case i need to get it over logs, or out of some mud or some such.) And then, to support the vehicle, in the event that it flips, I installed a roll bar too. So I did all this. Then, as per new york state minimum requirements, i have it insured for liability of over 100k. But as per those rules, All of my documented repairs mean nothing, because it is a former road vehicle. The problem with a super tight regulations is that they, while admirable, and in place for a reason, do not permit many people into this little club.

And I was thinking, Could we instead set up a set of standards that a road vehicle tank would have to pass in order to be given the "seal of approoval" so to speak. The trend away from the entrepreneurial nature of tanking is disturbing, especially when some of the safest designs can be produced from land vehicles. Safest for the crew, and safest for the other players.

I know I'm not the most experienced with tanking, but I'd prefer not to get shut out of the game before I ever get the chance to get into it for real.
the way i see it, when we finish our tank, if it cant be used at the field, then we will still have it insured and tagged ( i hope) it should make for a fun trail rig or at least an interesting conversation peice when sitting in rush hour traffic.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM #24
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
you could always make up a fake tank to talk about, then at the end, just say "JK"
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:48 PM #25
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Cheap tank.

Hello everyone, No such puppy if you take this seriously. Many of the previous posts have brought up very good points. Our team has three tanks and the expense at times of everything it takes to play in a game or get to and from a game can be overwhelming. Sometimes you think its not worth all the effort and expense if you have a bad day on the field and you get taken out alot or your tank wont start. You will always be putting money into it to make it better. If you have numerous guns or play alot be prepared to fork out some good money on paint. This is so because recent gun upgrades to our main tank will to be very costly in the way of paint. But thats the price you pay when you want something that will dominate in a field of play.

Nelson
Team CroMagnum Armor
Tank Commander
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:56 PM #26
Earthman**

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbman657 View Post
golf cart- 3-400$

wood- 1-150$ possibly low 200's or PVC+netting probaly same price

turret (pvc)- 10-20$ (counting you already have a gun)

theres the basics so total of making a very basic tank is at lowest around 550$$$ plus maintnence/travel/etc is around the thousands
golf carts can be like 6,000 dude. what are you smoking

http://www.snorgtees.com/?utm_source...mpaign=ARG_CPA

Dye DM4 cp trigger boom stikz virtue

CCM pump stock
Earthman** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 PM #27
Chekotai86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthman** View Post
golf carts can be like 6,000 dude. what are you smoking
Used golfcarts are cheap. And I am not sure what you are talking about with $6,000 for a golfcart. You must be thinking of the fancy ones. Cheap old golf carts are just that... cheap.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 AM #28
labmaster

labmaster supports our troops
I got a USED cart with a SS cargo bed that will make a great turret base. Mechanic on my team fixed a small drive problem for $31 in parts. Paid $650.

Look around in the newspaper, on ebay and craigslist
labmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 AM #29
Sieg

Yea we got a great cart for $700.
www.themillerstrykebrigade.com
www.myspace.com/msbpaintball
Sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 PM #30
fps_frank
just chill people

fps_frank owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fps_frank posts videos on PbNation
fps_frank is an NCPA player
fps_frank plays in the APPA D4 division
ok heres what you do, low budget tank. go get a radio flyer type wagon, plywood and some netting. duct tape and screws. then take the wheels off the wagon. place them around the base of the tank, tank wheels. cut slits in the plywood cover w neting. cut holes in the plywood tape/screw any type of cloth to the ouside of these holes. duct tape the rim of the hole as not to scratch ur barrel as you shoot. Now you have a walking tank on wheels for 2 or 3!

Russian Legion fan #1208
fps_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM #31
RealtorTommy
Team OnGuard

My low budget golf cart tank will be around $3,000 when fully fitted out....

yeah....low budget.........
Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 PM #32
Lordastaris

are golf carts with cargo/ seats at the back good apc?
Lordastaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 PM #33
D Wagner
Infantry Tactics

Cheap Tank? How about cardboard on an ATV? Refridgerator box cut to look like an armored car maybe? It'd be cheesy but I bet it'd be fun for practice. Sd kfz 222 or 223. And you can take it off to rip up the trails.
D Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM #34
JESTERTLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordastaris View Post
are golf carts with cargo/ seats at the back good apc?

Gotta watch with the center of ballance, which is true with any tank. But the golf carts being as light weight as they are will tip over fairly easily. Nothing wrong with them mind you, just have to watch when your on an incline. Other then that, no problems. They are darn quiet. Saw an electric golf cart sneak up on three players and shoot them out with pump guns... Technicly four players as they got me first. I stood there laughing. None of us knew they rolled up behind us.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 AM #35
PYROMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Wagner View Post
Cheap Tank? How about cardboard on an ATV? Refridgerator box cut to look like an armored car maybe?
In case anyone else doesnt already know this, paintballs trump cardboard. They shoot right throught the box.
Ive seen way to many kids try this thinking it was a great idea. Ive also seen it ruin their day as they walk off the field dragging their swiss cheese cardboard box, dripping in paint.
Not a good idea, not a good idea at all.

If your going ot build an actual tank vehicle, do it right the first time. And by doing it right, there really is no cheap way. I own 7 paintball tanks. The cheapest one (And my first one) was a Mazda 323, The EPITAPH, that I paid $100 for. I have a total of $500 or so invested in that tank. Its been in service for six year, goes through anything, and it still rocks.
My most expensive (And most recent) was a Bronco II, The BLACK PLAGUE, which I currently have $4000.00 invested into it. It does have 4 wheel drive, turret, a smoke machine, and it shoots 8 foot flames out the exaust (For shows and promo only).
And I build every kill box the same for every tank that enters any of my events. If someone else wants to add a tank into one of my events, it must be completely looked over, approved, and one of my kill boxes needs to be added to the vehicle.
Just build it good, build it to last, and build it safe.

Last edited by PYROMAN : 02-23-2009 at 10:52 AM.
PYROMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 AM #36
voodoo27909
Team SoVa- XO

My hats off to ALL the tankers out there. What you do is nothing less than amazing. The cost involved is unthinkable to me....but I enjoy and appreciate the added thrill you guys bring to any event you choose to show up at (even though you are fully aware there are twenty guys on that field with $40.00 shoulder launchers waiting to eliminate your $4000.00 investment on sight!!!). I honestly believe that you do it more in the name of the game over all, than you do for yourselves. Thank you, from a simple ground-pounder "grunt".
voodoo27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM #37
D Wagner
Infantry Tactics

A cardbaord mock up on a dime would be perfect until you can upgrade to plywood. It would also give you a template to follow for cutting the plywood to shape. You're right about the swiss cheese thing though Pyroman. Reinforce the seams and flat pieces with lath strips or plywood scraps cut to fit & glued and screwed in place. Also build the frame out of wood scraps.
The original question was doing one with no budget. Be creative guys, not everyone has 4g laying around.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 PM #38
D Wagner
Infantry Tactics

If you've got the money, get a real tank or APC. About 10g and so realistic it is real... I've seem em e-bay...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM #39
mtcfla2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Rampage View Post
Tank & Cheap go together like a cat in a washing machine.
No it doesn't....tank and cheap don't go together at all, whereas cats and washing machines do with quite entertaining results
mtcfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM #40
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

A justification

Voodoo is right about how us tankers spend alot of money to bring our tanks to the many fields. Then people take us out of a game on some $40 or less gadget. I have been to a few games when it seems like just when things get interesting in a game you get with hit with something simple. Then you go talking to yourself all the way back to camp or the start. It gets somewhat frustrating at times but thats the way the games go. When I was a field player there were many times when I got taken out early in the game as well. But overall it was the excitement and thrill to get back into the game to see if you can do something to help your team win. And if you dont win that doesnt matter. Because I still played and had fun with my friends no matter what I did. The bottom line you get knocked down, you get back up, and start all over again. I remember many years ago in a game in SC I shot the Captain of a team at close range when he was coming into the doorway of a building. I didnt want to shoot him that close but that was the only shot I had. He didnt get mad because I shot him that close. He got made because I shot him with a Rapid pistol. My other gun broke down in the game and that was my backup.

Nelson
Team CroMagnum Armor
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM #41
Al Steel
Drt deeds done dirt cheap

While you may be able to build a tank fairly inexpensively (<$1000.00) you cannot ever discount the "soft" costs.

- Trailer or larger vehicle to get the tank to the field
- Gasoline
- Repairs (repairs, repairs) and spare parts
- Storage
- Extra guns and the associated accessories
- LOTS more paint.. you will burn GALLONS of paint.
- Insurance (if required)

These costs alone can double or even triple the costs associated with a PAV. Go into it realistically.

Here's a good formula. Figure on how much you plan to spend to just get the tank on the field... then triple that number and you will be in the ballpark. Then double THAT number and you will have nearly what it takes to field a usable PAV.

The least expensive material that you can build a tank from is Coroplast.. basically corrugated thin plastic sheets. It will stand up to most paintball hits but it will not stand up to really heavy abuse. To reinforce it you can coat it with epoxy resin. You can use PVC or thin wood to attach this sheeting to and you have a viable tank. Add some paintball netting and you are set. You can mount the shell on an old riding lawnmower OR you can build a rolling push tank with bicycle parts. Even though this will be low cost ($<500) you still have the soft costs considerations.

G/L!

=======================================
Team Cromagnum - est. 1989
Tyrell Corporation contractor

1st ever Duel Club winner

Last edited by Al Steel : 03-17-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Al Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM #42
Dr. Stone

Good point Al, push tank may be a good first project if nothing else just so you can get out on the field and find out what its like being under a ton of fire and not being able to move as fast or get out of the way as quickly as on foot. Just a thought
Dr. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote