Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM #1
Tchernobog (Banned)

Pretending to be official Cooking profession thread

Who in here has a job in the foodservice profession? Fryer jockey at mcdonalds, or executive chef, post up so we know who's an idiot, and who knows their stuff.

Personally, cooking is in my blood. My pops is a CMC (certified master chef) his dad was a CEC, and I've worked the hotline with my pops for about 3 and a half years now.
Tchernobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 PM #2
NickThePyro

I am a chef at a very nice golf course restaurant. All my relatives have cooked for sometime and my Uncle was the head chef at a large community collage up untill a couple years ago. Cooking is fun if you have a passion for it but it becomes tedious after a while. And memorizing a huge menu is not fun
NickThePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM #3
Snake_Pal
(-_-)

I have been training to be a sandwich artist for the past 3 years (person who makes the sandwiches for the pictures on the menu for drive through line and subways) 1 more year till i can get certified as a processional sandwich maker
:no:
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM #4
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
What does CEC stand for?
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM #5
NickThePyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IplayforRelentless View Post
What does CEC stand for?
Chuck E Cheeses?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM #6
Tchernobog (Banned)

Certified Executive Chef.
Tchernobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 AM #7
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

TeamShellShock is a Supporting Member
TeamShellShock supports our troops
TeamShellShock is a Forum Captain
I'm a line cook at the Brown palace.
TeamShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM #8
MC_chicken (Banned)
Doint what meatchubs does

i have been trying to get a job in a culinary profession
in culinary class in high school i did amazing
and i looked into cooking schools but just cant afford them
i have been trying to find a job in the culinary profession
or i might just sign up for job corps because i can do culinary there and it could help me get a cooking job thats what my teacher in high school said
MC_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 PM #9
DoubleZero
Unmedicated again...

DoubleZero is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I just noticed that there was a food section. Cool.

I started washing dishes and chopping onions in a small family owned restaurant when I was 13 (I lied about my age and got away with it). Since then I have spent the last 25 years in the business all over the country. I have worked in restaurants in a few cities in Northern Cali, Anna Maria Island in Florida, Deerfield Beach, FL, Athens Ohio, Chapel Hill NC, and have been in New Orleans for the last 12 years or so. I also picked up random jobs in other cities as I bummed around the country for several years as I passed through places.

I have worked as a line cook, prep cook, Sous Chef, and Executive Chef for small family owned restaurants to large corprate gigs. I have done everythign from bar food in small Bar and Grill establishemnts to menu development for a brand new fine dining restaurant in New Orleans.

I am currently working for one of the largest catering facilities in New Orleans (the only two facilities in the city that have us beat in terms of volume are the Louisiana Superdome and the Convention Center, and our food is higher quality). I started with this company as the Sous Chef, but have moved out of the culinary side due to burnout. I am now the Executive Steward, and in charge of every piece of equipment that our catering department uses, from flatware and china to trucks, coolers, ovens, and forklifts. We have multiple venues in the city. We handle all private funtions at the Aquarium of the Americas, The Audubon Golf Club, the brand new Audubon Insectarium, The Louisiana Swamp Exhibit on the ground of the Audubon Zoo, and The Audubon Tea Room (one of the premier venues in the city, especially for weddings. We have a minimum $10k food purchase on top of venue rental, and we stay booked), just to name a few. We occasionally do offsite events, but prefer to use our own facilities. We do events ranging from small continental business breakfsts for 10 people to seated 5 course dinners for 500 people, to receptions for 30,000 people.

The Executive Chef is a very good friend of mine, and I still get to help out on the culinary side of things too, just to keep me on my toes. It's in my blood, and I cannot imagine ever NOT cooking.

Additionally, I am currently helping a friend of mine revamp the menu for his sports bar. We decided that just because you're at a sports bar to watch a game you shouldn't be stuck eating nachos, chili cheese fries, or burgers. We are implementing a menu that would normally be found at higher end restaurants, not a sports bar. Hopefully it will go well. We will introduce our first 5 new menu items tonight for the LSU game. Should be cool.

I am looking forward to joining the food discussion here for sure.

I would be nicer if you would be smarter.

Shooting people is not a crime, it's a pleasure!

Last edited by DoubleZero : 09-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.
DoubleZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 PM #10
empirepb29

I grew up watching the chefs in a kitchen at PGA cook meals for golf pros and now i just cook because i love it.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM #11
jcdenton69
****ter King

I watch the food network every day so I must be a chef, rite?
jcdenton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:35 AM #12
CrJenkins13

I haven't got any experience from the restaurant side of things, but will be starting to work at Applebee's in a week. I'll learn a lot from that, hopefully. But I've been cooking next to my father for a long time, and now that I've moved out on my own, I've been cooking pretty often. I'm not gonna say I'm amazing or the best, but I've had people tell me some of the things I cook are the best they've ever had(when compared to their parents cooking), so as long as they're happy, I'm happy.
CrJenkins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM #13
wakesideskater14
M.O.B.

my dad is a corporate chef for a a kitchen equipment distributor. they sell hoshisaki, alto shaam, etc. for those who work in a restaurant kitchen. he owned/operated a tons restaurants in the past as well. so he taught me most of what i know. and then ive been working in a local restaurant for a few years now so i picked up a bit there. alot of my knowledge came from experimenting though. also of course...the food network haha
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM #14
SuMkRaZiEpAiNtBaLlEr

I work Subway as a Sandwich Artist. Does that count?

My Bike
EPIC PICTURES
SuMkRaZiEpAiNtBaLlEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM #15
DarkEnigma
In Silence We Are Free

DarkEnigma donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkEnigma supports our troops
DarkEnigma is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
I work at McDonalds. It's not as bad as people make it to be, but it's not the best.
Chemical Corps
Houston Heat - Dizon #4
DarkEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM #16
t(-_-t)
nemesis

I'm a barista.. does that count?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM #17
UberBackMan
Rockin' the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_chicken View Post
i have been trying to get a job in a culinary profession
in culinary class in high school i did amazing
and i looked into cooking schools but just cant afford them
or i might just sign up for job corps because i can do culinary there and it could help me get a cooking job thats what my teacher in high school said
I take it you are trying to get a job in the culinary profession?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM #18
NickThePyro

Last night at work I was bored and tried to make chicken Alfredo with out a recipe. It wasnt too bad surprisingly. Kinda used too much white wine and not enough cream.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM #19
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

What you don't have it memorized?
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Furious_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:04 PM #20
DoubleZero
Unmedicated again...

things like alfredo will become second nature after making them just a few times. I know very few chefs who use recipes for any of their daily prep items or standard dishes. I also know very few chefs who actually measure ingredients unless baking. Eventually you will be able to just grap/dump/pour your measurements with a surprising degree of accuracy.

I hate it when somebody asks me for a recipe for one of my own dishes. I have to make it and measure the ingredients before adding them as I go, writing it down. I cook using the "some, a bit, a dash, a pinch, enough, needs a little more" method of measuring when creating dishes. That's why I hate baking. Baking is the scientific side of the culinary arts, requiring very specific time, quatitiy, and temperature controls. Cooking is the artistic side (not that bakers aren't artistic, but you know what I mean), it allows you much more freedom to wing it, and to adjust things on the fly to achieve your personal end goal.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:13 PM #21
DoubleZero
Unmedicated again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_chicken View Post
i looked into cooking schools but just cant afford them
It is one of the easiest industries to break into and become successful without the assistance of formal training. Just be willing to start at the bottom, learn from those willing to teach, be reliable and dependable, and you WILL move up. I started as a dishwasher, helped prep when I could until I learned enough to get a job as a prep cook. Then I spent as much time on the line as I could, helping out whenever the opportunity presented itself. The cooks saw my motivation and desire to learn, so they taught me whatever they could. When somebody didn't show up for their shift, I jumped in and took their spot on the line, never givng him the opportunity to get his job back. I continued that method of advancement all the way to being the number two guy in one of the top venues in a city known for its food. Actual real life job experience means far more to most operators than theoretical classroom/test kitchen training.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by DoubleZero : 09-16-2008 at 01:16 PM.