Shadow Darkblade
Nate the Great

ive been an octo vegetarian since ive been born

soy ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shadow Darkblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:46 AM #66
Drunk_Vader (Banned)
Sick on Sunday

I just made a home made, vegetarian safe McGangBang.

Boca Burger
Morning Star Veggie Pattie
Lettuce
Onion
Pickle
Mayonaise
Ketchup
Mustard
Bun

I'm sure you can figure it out.

It was actually pretty good.
Drunk_Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:28 PM #67
Blumpkins
There's an APP for that

I have two friends that are vegan that I chill with all the time. One has been for about 7 months and other a month or two. They cook me stuff all the time that tastes pretty good.

They always eat seasoned fries and rice pilaf from denny's.
Blumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 PM #68
Epoch

Epoch is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Epoch supports our troops
Is rice pilaf from dennys vegan? It's made with a stock, and it wouldn't surprise me if they used chicken stock.
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM #69
roth_GBA
You lookin at me?

roth_GBA has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
roth_GBA is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Is rice pilaf from dennys vegan? It's made with a stock, and it wouldn't surprise me if they used chicken stock.
vegitarians can't eat rice pilaf with chicken stock, but they could use veggy stcok or water. It doesn't matter.
roth_GBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 PM #70
RedFoo (Banned)
My Royal Penis is Clean

I did a 10 day meditation retreat recently and we only ate vegetarian, upon returning home I've had very little desire to eat meat but for example last night my friend's dad made an amazingly good looking pork tenderloin so I decided to eat some. Becoming vegetarian is definitely a possibility for me in the near future so I'm glad this thread is here, any more good recipes?
RedFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 PM #71
Epoch

Epoch is a Supporting Member
Epoch supports our troops
Look up a recipe for home made falafel. I made it a few weeks ago, and it's surprisingly easy.
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:05 PM #72
_WARRIOR_ (Banned)
Mr Dr Pepper on the Rocks

_WARRIOR_ helped look for balloons
_WARRIOR_ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Eww I don't like falafels.

Actually I don't eat fruits or vegetables at all except for potatoes.
_WARRIOR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM #73
emotive789

falafels are ****ing awesome. chickpeas are awesome. i love hummus too.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM #74
t("t)

t("t) is a Supporting Member
Some pretty good Vegan Burgers:

1 16 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2-3 scallions, chopped pretty fine
half an onion shredded and pressed
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
2-3 baby carrots, sliced and diced
a dash of worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper
few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
like 5 cups of chopped mushrooms.
1.5 cups of bread crumbs

Cooking:
Mash the beans in a bowl and then add the onions, scallions, walnuts, carrots, parsley, a cup of the breadcrumbs, some salt and pepper and a bit of worchestershire sauce. Mix it all together into a nice moosh.

Make them into 4-5 patties(depending on how thick you like them) and then cover them with the remaining bread crumbs, shaking off any excess.

Put some olive oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers.. Takes about 3-4 minutes per side.

When thats done, cook the mushrooms in the pan, adding some more worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper.

you can put them between whatever you want, you can use english muffins, whole wheat bread, normal buns, whatever. I like the english muffins the best though. You can top them with whatever your favorite condiment is. I like barbeque sauce. I'm not even vegan but I make these when my vegan friends come over.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM #75
natexcarr
GO VEGETARIAN!

I didn't think vegans and vegetarians would exist on the nation...

Any way, have any of you ever watched the documentary "Earthlings?" If not I highly recommend it. I've converted many an inteligent omnivore with a screening of this film. It will really make you reevaluate your lifestyle choices and your feelings towards animals.

Here's a music video from Goldfinger with a lot of clips from the documentary:

In my experience, any semi-inteligent people can't find any moral justification for eating animals once they're educated on how animals are treated on factory farms. You can't justify it. It's senseless and truely pointless. We as a race have advanced and evolved to a point where killing animals is not a neccestiy. We do not need their furs to stay warm, their bones for tools, and their flesh for sustenance. ESPECIALLY in America. We have the means to survive on a cruelty free diet with absolutely no inconvenience.

Last edited by natexcarr : 07-22-2010 at 09:49 PM.
natexcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 AM #76
Anal

Anal is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by t("t) View Post
Some pretty good Vegan Burgers:

1 16 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2-3 scallions, chopped pretty fine
half an onion shredded and pressed
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
2-3 baby carrots, sliced and diced
a dash of worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper
few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
like 5 cups of chopped mushrooms.
1.5 cups of bread crumbs

Cooking:
Mash the beans in a bowl and then add the onions, scallions, walnuts, carrots, parsley, a cup of the breadcrumbs, some salt and pepper and a bit of worchestershire sauce. Mix it all together into a nice moosh.

Make them into 4-5 patties(depending on how thick you like them) and then cover them with the remaining bread crumbs, shaking off any excess.

Put some olive oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers.. Takes about 3-4 minutes per side.

When thats done, cook the mushrooms in the pan, adding some more worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper.

you can put them between whatever you want, you can use english muffins, whole wheat bread, normal buns, whatever. I like the english muffins the best though. You can top them with whatever your favorite condiment is. I like barbeque sauce. I'm not even vegan but I make these when my vegan friends come over.
This can't be vegan/vegetarian, it contains beans.
Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 AM #77
RoGuE9
yeah

RoGuE9 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by natexcarr View Post
In my experience, any semi-inteligent people can't find any moral justification for eating animals once they're educated on how animals are treated on factory farms. You can't justify it. It's senseless and truely pointless. We as a race have advanced and evolved to a point where killing animals is not a neccestiy. We do not need their furs to stay warm, their bones for tools, and their flesh for sustenance. ESPECIALLY in America. We have the means to survive on a cruelty free diet with absolutely no inconvenience.
eat meat that is raised/caught responsibly?

I'm not here to argue with people who are vegetarian, but assuming that all meat is the same is extremely ignorant on your part.

Yes, it's hard to justify eating beef that is farm raised, pumped full of hormones, and fed disgusting feed. But eating a cow that lives its whole life eating grass wandering around in a pasture enjoying itself (as much as a cow can "enjoy itself") is quite different. And things like pastured chicken eggs are hard to argue against, though I suppose on a large enough scale you could start to make environmental claims.

I recognize eating ethically raised meat and responsibly caught fish isn't possible for some people, depending on where they live or their economic situation.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM #78
natexcarr
GO VEGETARIAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE9 View Post
eat meat that is raised/caught responsibly?

I'm not here to argue with people who are vegetarian, but assuming that all meat is the same is extremely ignorant on your part.

Yes, it's hard to justify eating beef that is farm raised, pumped full of hormones, and fed disgusting feed. But eating a cow that lives its whole life eating grass wandering around in a pasture enjoying itself (as much as a cow can "enjoy itself") is quite different. And things like pastured chicken eggs are hard to argue against, though I suppose on a large enough scale you could start to make environmental claims.

I recognize eating ethically raised meat and responsibly caught fish isn't possible for some people, depending on where they live or their economic situation.
I'm definitely not assuming all meat is the same. While it's true free range cattle do lead considerably better lives, those lives are still taken prematurely for our own personal benefit, be it for food or monetary gain. it is my personal belief that humans have no right to decide when something is to live or die. The argument is often made to me that we are the supreme beings on this earth, and that because we are of such a heightend inteligence that we should have this right. That we are somehow better then the so-called "lesser" organisms of this planet. My rebuttle is always the same. It is because we are so much more intelligent then other animals that would should take care of them. Because underneath all our diffrences there is sameness. Every animal, including human beings all seek three same things: companionship, freedom of movement, and the avoidance of pain. We all die from pain, and causing pain to an animal knowing it to be pain is inexcusable.

Eggs are a diffrent story. I feel that eggs laid by free range hens are perfectly fine to eat. Again, it is only with the hens raised in confinement on factory farms that I take issue.

Like you said, I'm not here to aruge, but I do like to discuss and debate these points.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM #79
RoGuE9
yeah

What about cultures and groups that have to eat animals (be they hunted animals or livestock) to survive?

I love animals, but I also believe that humans are supposed to eat some meat...granted not nearly as much as most americans eat. Domestication of animals was an important step in human evolution, as was learning to cook. Yes, some people have the luxury of being able to eat a healthy diet that is free of animal products, but those are the same people who can generally make the choice to eat meat responsibly if they so choose.

Also, saying that all animals "seek" companionship, freedom of movement, or anything at all is anthropomorphizing in a big way. A fish that is trying to mate with another fish because of fixed action patterns hard-wired in its tiny brain is hardly SEEKING anything. It's just doing. But that's a whole different debate.

That being said, if someone just has a huge problem with eating a dead animal as you do, then there's not really any convincing to be done.

My main issues with eating meat (although I do, despite these issues) are environmental and health (both global and personal). And I certainly agree that the meat industry is ****ed, as is the food industry in general...but that comes with it being an industry, eh?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM #80
natexcarr
GO VEGETARIAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE9 View Post
What about cultures and groups that have to eat animals (be they hunted animals or livestock) to survive?

I love animals, but I also believe that humans are supposed to eat some meat...granted not nearly as much as most americans eat. Domestication of animals was an important step in human evolution, as was learning to cook. Yes, some people have the luxury of being able to eat a healthy diet that is free of animal products, but those are the same people who can generally make the choice to eat meat responsibly if they so choose.

Also, saying that all animals "seek" companionship, freedom of movement, or anything at all is anthropomorphizing in a big way. A fish that is trying to mate with another fish because of fixed action patterns hard-wired in its tiny brain is hardly SEEKING anything. It's just doing. But that's a whole different debate.

That being said, if someone just has a huge problem with eating a dead animal as you do, then there's not really any convincing to be done.

My main issues with eating meat (although I do, despite these issues) are environmental and health (both global and personal). And I certainly agree that the meat industry is ****ed, as is the food industry in general...but that comes with it being an industry, eh?
I have no qualms with peoples of cultures that legitimately need to raise and eat animals to survive. My issues mainly reside with people who have the means to survive otherwise.

And yes, this industry is certainly ****ed. Not only with the meat but our food industry as a whole. For example, you can purchase "organic" fruits and vegetables that have been irradiated as an alternative to pesticides. The only side effect being that the radiation actually mutates the food on a molecular level to the point where tomatos have been tested and benzene (a known carcinogen) has been found. It's horrible.

Here's another good example of the food industry effecting us on a global scale:

I know a girl, not a vegetarian but an "environmentalist." Well, I came across a facebook post one day with her berating someone for driving a particular car because of its emmision output and its affects on the ozone layer. I was furious. This girl sucks anyway, so I informed her (the non-vegetarian girl) that the factory farm industry, beef in particular, is actually the #1 contributor to greenhouse gases and ozone depletion. She had no response.

But any way, the food industry should be a major concern to people, but ignorance is bliss I suppose. What can you do?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM #81
Anal

Quote:
Originally Posted by natexcarr View Post
I keep re-reading this and keep failing to understand why we need moral justification to eat animals. So I'm unintelligent for one of two reasons; I don't feel like I need to justify to myself why I eat animals. I eat beef because it is delicious, not because I feel it morally appropriate. I must be a sociopath who enjoys the senseless slaughter of animals who are raised in inhumane conditions and brutally murdered. Or am I unintelligent because nearly everything I enjoy eating has meat in it, and I really should be fighting with my inherent urges to eat things I enjoy?

As for the "senseless and truly pointless" part. Are you saying that eating animals is senseless and pointless, or the way in which they are raised/slaughtered is pointless?

IMO, I personally don't have the ability to survive with no inconvenience without meats. Thinking back over the last several weeks, I can only recall one or two meals that didn't contain beef, chicken, or bacon/ham. In order to maintain a "cruelty-free" diet, I would have to eat things I don't enjoy nearly as much. Typical selfish american ldo, willing to sacrifice the lives of innocent animals to make sure my Rodeo Cheeseburgers are as delicious as ever.

I really guess I am unintelligent, because I cannot see why we need moral justification to eat meat. I am willing to accept that I am selfish for finding my own life more valuable than that of the things I eat. I just don't see why we have an inherent responsibility to protect unintelligent animals.

In short, I simply don't see why it's an issue of intelligence or ignorance. It's really an issue of selfishness imo. I've watched plenty of videos and been lectured by friends. The videos of people abusing (unnecessarily... beating the animals, etc.) the animals is disturbing, but not enough for me to stop eating the things I enjoy. Nor would the abuse stop if I were to stop eating the animals. Although I suppose I may sleep a bit better knowing that it's "not my fault because I don't eat them".

I know masturbating way too much isn't beneficial to me, yet I continue to indulge myself in such carnal pleasures. I know smoking is bad for me, yet I continue to do it because despite the fact it may kill me someday, or perhaps I may die tomorrow in a car crash. I know eating animals isn't necessary, yet I indulge myself further in these simple pleasures without any remorse, perhaps I am really a sociopath.

JW, which of my traits to be more reprehensible, that I am pro-choice, or that I enjoy eating meat? Or are both equally reprehensible?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM #82
RoGuE9
yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal View Post
Or am I unintelligent because nearly everything I enjoy eating has meat in it, and I really should be fighting with my inherent urges to eat things I enjoy?

Thinking back over the last several weeks, I can only recall one or two meals that didn't contain beef, chicken, or bacon/ham.

In short, I simply don't see why it's an issue of intelligence or ignorance. It's really an issue of selfishness imo.
In order:

If everything you enjoy eating has meat in it it doesn't necessarily mean you are "unintelligent," but you're definitely childish and have ****ty, undeveloped taste.

Enjoy your colon cancer.

Being selfish is an issue of intelligence and ignorance. And you're ignoring the fact that there are a lot more consequences to consuming large quantities of meat than the highly-debatable issue of guilt.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 PM #83
Anal

You're entirely on point on the last one. Disagree with the other two as I really Dont eat too much meat, it's simply that I only eat 2 meals a day and try nearly always contain meat/fish of some sort. Dunno how that is odd, childish, or in poor taste. I'm not saying meat is the main course, in fact, thats nearlu never the case unless I'm having a steak. (ex: pizza, tacos, stir fry, chicken Caesar, etc)

Last edited by Anal : 07-23-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: iPhone- ignore typos
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM #84
RoGuE9
yeah

You said almost everything you enjoy eating contains meat. If you don't enjoy a large number of things that do not contain meat, regardless of how many things you enjoy that DO contain meat, you probably don't have very developed taste. I didn't say it was "in poor taste," I said that you have poor taste (as in your palate must suck).