Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-30-2008, 01:53 PM #1
FrEEsTyLe (FC)

psp and xball?

What is the difference between normal psp and xball. Thanks!
FrEEsTyLe (FC) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM #2
757 Pballer

What? Im sorry but your question makes no sense try rephrasing it. Are you talking about gun modes psp and xball mode referring to nxl? Because their is xball format but no such thing as psp format.

I take photos and stuff...
Justawesomebrand.com
Facebook.com/Justawesomephotos
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
757 Pballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 PM #3
FrEEsTyLe (FC)

Gameplay wise what is the difference in psp and xball...i think xball has a different mode on gun than psp but other than that i dont know.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:03 PM #4
757 Pballer

There is no psp format. You have xball and 5 man.

I take photos and stuff...
Justawesomebrand.com
Facebook.com/Justawesomephotos
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
757 Pballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:04 PM #5
FrEEsTyLe (FC)

Well what is the difference between 5 man and xball.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 PM #6
BrandonDomenico7
.innnlllllllllllllirT

BrandonDomenico7 plays in the APPA beginner division
http://www.pspevents.com/
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 PM #7
lyners
*N-Two Factor*

lyners owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEEsTyLe (FC) View Post
What is the difference between normal psp and xball. Thanks!
Xball is a full match, not the first to #. CXBL/AXBL plays the real xball format while PSP is xball with a twist basically.
'09 -Wasaga Beach Boyz CXBL / Syracuse Chaos AXBL
'08 -Nottawasaga Beach Boyz Factory MXL Champions(7-0-0) * '07 -Toronto Mavericks PSP
lyners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 AM #8
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyners View Post
Xball is a full match, not the first to #. CXBL/AXBL plays the real xball format while PSP is xball with a twist basically.
Care to explain what exactly makes the CXBL/AXBL format the 'real' XBall format?

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM #9
lyners
*N-Two Factor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Care to explain what exactly makes the CXBL/AXBL format the 'real' XBall format?

- Chris
Thats "how it was meant to be played" Quoted from Richmond Italia.
Also im just saying its the way xball started in NXL and then it became this race to # points, which is not how it was originally, Italia wanted the full time limit to be used and such, not who can make 5/7/9 points first.So technically its not the original xball, more like xball with a twist, i guess you could day . Im just answering a question Chris

'09 -Wasaga Beach Boyz CXBL / Syracuse Chaos AXBL
'08 -Nottawasaga Beach Boyz Factory MXL Champions(7-0-0) * '07 -Toronto Mavericks PSP

Last edited by lyners : 09-01-2008 at 12:59 AM.
lyners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:40 AM #10
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyners View Post
Thats "how it was meant to be played" Quoted from Richmond Italia.
Also im just saying its the way xball started in NXL and then it became this race to # points, which is not how it was originally, Italia wanted the full time limit to be used and such, not who can make 5/7/9 points first.So technically its not the original xball, more like xball with a twist, i guess you could day . Im just answering a question Chris
What I was getting at is that calling CXBL/AXBL 'real' XBall is arbitrary. There's nothing that makes it the 'real' version more than any other present version. And if you're going to argue that CXBL/AXBL is the 'real' version because it's closer to the original XBall, then you'd have to accept that the REAL 'real' XBall is NCPA XBall.

- Only NCPA XBall still uses semi-auto
- Only NCPA XBall still allows on-field coaching
- NCPA doesn't have race-to scoring either.

On top of preserving the original rules....

- NCPA has been running XBall longer than anyone else
- Only NCPA XBall is currently televised

Of course, we don't market our version of XBall as 'real' XBall, because we understand that it's not exactly an informative label. It makes about as much sense as arbitrarily deciding that 'real' football is football as it was played in the NFL in 1958. Why is XBall as played in the NXL in 2005 the 'real' XBall? If you're going to pick 2005, why not 2003? Or 2008?

And we're also don't have any illusions about why the NCPA format is the way it is - it's that way because it looks good on television. Fits perfectly into an hour-long broadcast, semi-auto helps movement, and coaching on the field adds drama and makes the coaches visible to the viewer.

I think if you're going to call something REAL XBall, it would be XBall as played at IAO plus coaching. MAYBE XBall as played in the NXL in 2003.

It also doesn't make much sense to me to advertise something as 'real' XBall while at the same time advertising it as 15 bps ramping - especially considering the only people to use 15 bps ramping are the same people who use the race-to format. No Richmond-Italia XBall has ever used ramping, that's a PSP thing, and if you're going to accept PSP changing the gun rules, you might as well let them add a mercy rule.

Of course, that's all a separate issue of whether CXBL/AXBL is the 'right' way to play XBall. Obviously, I like all the things it shares with the NCPA format. And the match length may be 'better' for what CXBL/AXBL is doing, esp. since they don't have to worry about televising it. Semi vs. 15 bps ramp is going to be a preference thing.

When you get down to it, anything with a repeating point, timed, center-flag format is just as much XBall as anything else.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Last edited by raehl : 09-01-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM #11
fraige
I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

fraige owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Raehl i dont think alot of these people were even around playing when Richmond Italia came out with the idea of Xball at IAO. i was at that IAO going like what is this? Xball? it was pretty neat though for the nations cup idea of how it was introduced.

92 % of PBnation would be dead if Hostile Kids said breathing wasn't agg. If you're in the 8% that would celebrate the mass suicide of the fanboys, put this in your sig
fraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM #12
fraige
I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

also i think they changed the concept because some of the games in 03 and 04 were so lopsided scores would end up 20-1 or 18-3 silly things like that, that made it no fun to watch. they also changed it for financial reasons i would think. the first team to X number of points wins or time limit. they would shoot A LOT less paint if those 20-1 or 18-3 games went to say X number of points and therefore save money for the paint companies.

92 % of PBnation would be dead if Hostile Kids said breathing wasn't agg. If you're in the 8% that would celebrate the mass suicide of the fanboys, put this in your sig
Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM #13
Thatguy_12

Thatguy_12 plays in the PSP
Thatguy_12 plays in the APPA D4 division
that makes no sense, paint companies WANT you to shoot more paint over less paint, that means more of a profit for them. It makes no sense saying it saves the paint companies money because in reality that loses them paint sales therefore making them lose out on paint sales that would better their profit.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM #14
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy_12 View Post
that makes no sense, paint companies WANT you to shoot more paint over less paint, that means more of a profit for them.
It makes perfect sense, because:

- The paint companies were buying the paint for many of the national-level teams
- The paint companies were giving the paint away at cost many of the other teams
- The paint companies were not smart enough to realize that they make more money when less paint is shot and they charge more to make up for it.

- Chris

Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM #15
fraige
I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

but at the pro level they dont pay for it. so if there shooting less at the pro level the companies dont shell out as much paint. thats what i was referring to not the lower division teams putting out the money for the paint. but if the games are shortened at the pro level its less for the paint companies and more sponsorship money they can give out and make it easier for the lower level teams to help pay for paint. thats what i meant.