PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 PM #1
inkjt510
Romo Never Stops Smiling

has been a member for 10 years
Rivers is getting shafted?

Let me preface this by saying that I think Phillip Rivers is a huge *******.

This, however, does not mean that I can't recognize his accomplishments. This year, he was the:
YPA #1
TD #1 (tie w. Drew Brees)
TD % #1
Highest rated passer

Also, he led his team to the playoffs after they completely licked a dick and even had to deal with Fatty calling the shots for the defense for the first several weeks. During this time he was the lone bright spot on a team without Merriman, a good LT, or a defense.

Why, then, is he not ever in the consideration for MVP? I realize that the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, but how is he not a good MVP candidate?
inkjt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM #2
irishpballer (Banned)

Because hes a little *****, I'm not doubting his accomplishments or skill.
irishpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:11 PM #3
JungleLawrence (Banned)

The Chargers are 8-8. The argument is that while Rivers is a good quarterback, he didn't find ways to win games, whereas Peyton Manning closed games out with a nonexistant running game and a suspect defense. Rivers has been the most consistent player in the league, but that's not enough to detract from his team's record.
JungleLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 PM #4
inkjt510
Romo Never Stops Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleLawrence View Post
The Chargers are 8-8. The argument is that while Rivers is a good quarterback, he didn't find ways to win games, whereas Peyton Manning closed games out with a nonexistant running game and a suspect defense. Rivers has been the most consistent player in the league, but that's not enough to detract from his team's record.
He won a division title, which is more than Manning can say...
Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 PM #5
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

Rivers=8-8. Peyton=12-4.

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
reactionkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM #6
SmartyJones
Best in the World

SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Rivers should certainly be in consideration for the MVP, but I'd ultimately give it to Peyton. And Favre shouldn't have been anywhere near the Pro Bowl this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjt510 View Post
Are you serious? SD is in the worst division of the AFC, and came out 8-8. Indy is in arguably the strongest division in the AFC and went 12-4. Granted they didn't win the division as you said, but our division also contained a 13-3 team who is the top seed in the playoffs. And the difference between 12-4 and 8-8 in the NFL is huge.
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
SmartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM #7
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
Quote:
That's right. Peyton can say he won multiple division title(s) and a superbowl. Sure they didn't win the division title this year, but in his defense.....the teams in the AFC south didn't suck so bad that they could go 8-8 and win it.

If San D would have been in any other AFC division.....they wouldn't have even got a wildcard. Squeeking in because the rest of the teams in your division skunked it up, doesn't justify a MVP by any means.

Now take away all that...Rivers had a hell of a year, but Peyton closed off the half of the season with better stats than any other QB, and would have started out that way if some pre seasons issues weren't there.

The fact of the matter is, Rivers doesn't have the poise to pull off what Manning did these last 9 games. If you put up a QB rating of 115 every game, but do not make plays to help your team win....and I mean single handed plays where you made all of the difference, then it doesn't mean much. Rivers may have done it a few times, but 9 times in a row??

People over-play the whole stats and rating thing. There are still a handful of QB's....ones that I don't even particularly care for, I would put ahead of Rivers in the MVP race. Sometimes, numbers just look good on paper. Like I said in another thread, if they counted poise and game-winning drives/bailouts into the mix, Mannings "rating" would be un-freakin'-touchable this year. I don't mean any disrespect, and I respect the fact some of you want to stick by your teams and players, but some of you San D fans are starting to act like Bears fans. Rationalizing every little thing, and then rolling in the excuses when things don't fall in to place for the teams. But, it is hard to put bias aside sometimes. I am guilty of it, too. But my head is clear for this one.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."

Last edited by Scott7d : 12-30-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Scott7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM #8
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

who is nominated this year anyways?

Also, you all say stats and whatnot aren't important but in Rivers case, they are. Without his high amount of yds and TDS his team would not win any games. The defense on SD allowed a lot of points this year, if Rivers didn't put up 2-4 tds a game the Chargers would be out of it. Rivers worked his *** off this year and got no recognition.

His teams record is not Rivers' fault. The Chargers played poor defense all year. The run game was poor. Rivers opened up many games and did his job extremely well.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."

Last edited by mr.cocalino : 12-30-2008 at 03:07 PM.
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:05 PM #9
inkjt510
Romo Never Stops Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionkilla View Post
Rivers=8-8. Peyton=12-4.
Rivers' team = ****
Peyton's team = good
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
Rivers should certainly be in consideration for the MVP, but I'd ultimately give it to Peyton. And Favre shouldn't have been anywhere near the Pro Bowl this year.

Are you serious? SD is in the worst division of the AFC, and came out 8-8. Indy is in arguably the strongest division in the AFC and went 12-4. Granted they didn't win the division as you said, but our division also contained a 13-3 team who is the top seed in the playoffs. And the difference between 12-4 and 8-8 in the NFL is huge.
Is the difference huge? Because both of them are still in the playoffs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7d View Post
That's right. Peyton can say he won multiple division title(s) and a superbowl. Sure they didn't win the division title this year, but in his defense.....the teams in the AFC south didn't suck so bad that they could go 8-8 and win it.

If San D would have been in any other AFC division.....they wouldn't have even got a wildcard. Squeeking in because the rest of the teams in your division skunked it up, doesn't justify a MVP by any means.

Now take away all that...Rivers had a hell of a year, but Peyton closed off the half of the season with better stats than any other QB, and would have started out that way if some pre seasons issues weren't there.

The fact of the matter is, Rivers doesn't have the poise to pull off what Manning did these last 9 games. If you put up a QB rating of 115 every game, but do not make plays to help your team win....and I mean single handed plays where you made all of the difference, then it doesn't mean much. Rivers may have done it a few times, but 9 times in a row??

People over-play the whole stats and rating thing. There are still a handful of QB's....ones that I don't even particularly care for, I would put ahead of Rivers in the MVP race. Sometimes, numbers just look good on paper. Like I said in another thread, if they counted poise and game-winning drives/bailouts into the mix, Mannings "rating" would be un-freakin'-touchable this year. I don't mean any disrespect, and I respect the fact some of you want to stick by your teams and players, but some of you San D fans are starting to act like Bears fans. Rationalizing every little thing, and then rolling in the excuses when things don't fall in to place for the teams. But, it is hard to put bias aside sometimes. I am guilty of it, too. But my head is clear for this one.
First off, I'm not an SD fan. Second, it's not like Rivers hasn't made great plays to pull off comebacks. His team has let him down time and time again and there's not really too much he can do about his defense (or Ed Hochuli for that matter.)

Rivers didn't win because of his team, he won in spite of his team, and I'm not sure Peyton can say that.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM #10
SmartyJones
Best in the World

SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yes, it's quite large. SD wouldn't even be in the playoffs if they didn't get in automatically for winning the division. No knock against them they're playing well right now and will be a force to be reckoned with. But they barely posted a .500 record and they had 6 games in one of the worst divisions in the league, certainly the worst in the AFC.
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
SmartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 PM #11
Bobeo
-Life Is Good-

I really don't see how you can argue a case for Rivers. MVP means the players that is MOST VALUABLE to their team.

Without Peyton, we could've very easily been a 4-12 team.
Without Rivers, well, they probably would've been 6-10 or so.

The Bolts could've survived to a greater extent without Rivers. Without Peyton the Colts are possibly the worst team in the AFC South.

EDIT: With that said, Rivers got shafted harder then anyone I can remember in reacent history in the Pro Bowl.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 PM #12
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
I hate how Rivers is demonized for what happened last year even though he hasn't done a thing this year. Meanwhile, Cutler has thrown multiple teammates and his entire defense under the bus when they completely ignore all of Cutlers comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeo View Post
Bull.****ing.****.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway

Last edited by licence_to_kill : 12-30-2008 at 04:58 PM.
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 PM #13
inkjt510
Romo Never Stops Smiling

Quote:
Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 PM #14
gladheateher (Banned)

Rivers should have made the Pro Bowl, period. As far as MVP, I haven't seen who's in the running, but Rivers is not a very good candidate. I agree he should be in there, but the overall performance of his team hurts his MVP potential. If they had 2-3 more wins, it'd be a race.
gladheateher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM #15
Bobeo
-Life Is Good-

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
Bull.****ing.****.
Quote:
OK, well the point stands. You would've been worse then 8-8, and wouldn't have made the playoffs, which you ALMOST DIDN'T ANYWAY. You got in because you play in an easy division, and the Broncos gave it away at the end of the season.

EDIT: Think about this too. Not only was Peyton personally responsible for us winning 9 straight to end the season, but without Peyton leading game winning drives, we would've been 1-6 rather then 3-4 in our first seven games. There is simply no player more valuable to his team in the entire league.

EDITx2: Also, I just saw this brought up over at ESPN. What if Rivers was on the Colts and Peyton was on the Bolts? I would say the Chargers were winning at least 10, probably 12, and the Colts would probably win 8 or 10.

Last edited by Bobeo : 12-30-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Bobeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM #16
MeRfCaKe

Someone outside of the SD fanbase realizes this??

Armageddon is upon us.
Custom Cockers
MeRfCaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM #17
gladheateher (Banned)

If someone doesnt realize this, they must be a Jay Cutler fan.
gladheateher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM #18
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Rivers' team = <del>****</del>
Peyton's team = good
What? The Colts are 31st in rushing and had a run defense similar to the 06 season.

Both teams are "good", but your contrast seemed a little off.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM #19
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
I hate how Rivers is demonized for what happened last year even though he hasn't done a thing this year. Meanwhile, Cutler has thrown multiple teammates and his entire defense under the bus when they completely ignore all of Cutlers comments.

Bull.<del>****</del>ing.<del>****</del>.
Good point dude. Rivers seemed like a spoiled little rich kid last year, and seems to be a lot more humble this year, even while playing better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladheateher View Post
Rivers should have made the Pro Bowl, period. As far as MVP, I haven't seen who's in the running, but Rivers is not a very good candidate. I agree he should be in there, but the overall performance of his team hurts his MVP potential. If they had 2-3 more wins, it'd be a race.
It is pretty baffling how he didn't get into the pro bowl.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 PM #20
JungleLawrence (Banned)

By the way, if none of you have noticed this already, the media LOVES swinging from Peyton Manning's nuts. They ****ing live to lick the sweat from his taint. They'd kill African babies to parade around the streets with his jock strap atop their heads. No matter how much another quarterback outshines Peyton Manning, he will always be seen as the better quarterback. Tom Brady swept Peyton's *** under a rug last season, yet Manning was always seen as the "premier" quarterback in the NFL.

And the media doesn't like the Chargers. They like LT, but they don't like Norv, they don't like AJ Smith, and they don't like Philip Rivers. I can almost guarantee Rivers' snub from the Pro Bowl came from within the NFL.
JungleLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM #21
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

Quote:
I really don't see how you can argue a case for Rivers. MVP means the players that is MOST VALUABLE to their team.

Without Peyton, we could've very easily been a 4-12 team.

The Bolts could've survived to a greater extent without Rivers. Without Peyton the Colts are possibly the worst team in the AFC South.

EDIT: With that said, Rivers got shafted harder then anyone I can remember in reacent history in the Pro Bowl.
Bull****. Don't tell me that there isn't talent on Indy's O-line and at WR. They have always had a talented receiving core. Now, think about San Diego's receivers. They don't exactly match up, do they?

Manning is very talented, but his situation is similar to Brady's. Lots of talent at WR helps out a QB big time. Throw in a decent O-line and your good to go.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote