Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 09-05-2008, 11:35 PM #64
Mdelphin

Even though I don't have a strong say in what the outcome of this is, I still want to speak my mind on this subject.

I am in support of a potential tournament series. WDLong, I appreciate what you are trying to do for paintball in Louisiana. I have been playing tournament paintball in Louisiana for a year and a half, and even though I may not have been playing as long as many of you, I have to say that when I started playing there were more tournaments held in Louisiana and more paintball fields. Sadly, I've seen the two decline recently and at one point it made me want to quit playing before I joined another team. Louisiana is not the best place to be a paintball player. We have not pro-teams in our state to look up to and give us inspiration, and from my experience of travelling around Louisiana with my old team, our local teams are distributed throughout this state(mostly with one or two teams per city). So its hard to bring all of these teams together for a tournament. Louisiana is in bad shape for paintball, but currently we have very little. In my opinion, there is nowhere to go but up. If we don't try to change anything paintball will stay the same in this state so something must be done. We have nothing to lose. I'm for trying to start this 5-man Xball series, I think a league would be too much to ask for right now though. I also appreciate the criticism that there is on this thread. It can do nothing but help this cause to determine it's weak points and flaws. I want to end with saying that we have nothing to lose in this state and if this does fail we will know the reason why, but if we never try we could be denying ourselves of increasing the competition and popularity of paintball in Louisiana. Good Luck to you and all field owners, refs, and paintball players if this series is ever formed.

----I'm going to compare this situation to another----
This is like being in a bar/club and seeing a hot chick across room. You want to talk to her but hold back because you think she might shoot you down in front of your friends. Why not go and talk to the girl, you have nothing to lose, you don't know her, she could like you, and if you don't you will end the night without having any fun. And even if you get rejected there are always other chicks (In our case options). So, we can either stand around doing nothing or talk to the hot chick. Its our choice.

Stay Strong In The Struggle
Peace... Out...
Mdelphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 AM #65
artoskata
Bring the HEAT

artoskata plays in the PSP
artoskata owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
artoskata supports Team VICIOUS
artoskata plays in the APPA D4 division
Mark, I love you and your inspirational speeches.
artoskata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM #66
Lecompte
Cowabunga.

mark, that was long as heck. But good words.
Lecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:33 PM #67
wdlong1

mark, you made me cry.
wdlong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 PM #68
LSU2936
LA HEAT

LSU2936 plays in the PSP
LSU2936 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
LSU2936 plays in the APPA D4 division
That's why I'm his fan.

Rule #1: You don't look good. You not gonna play good.

There are no hawks in heaven...
LSU2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:22 PM #69
artoskata
Bring the HEAT

I'm his bigger fan Jamie!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:31 PM #70
Fugitive182
PBC Army

Fugitive182 plays in the PSP
Fugitive182 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I've been playing tournament paintball since around 06 in louisiana. And as people have said there are less and less teams able to stay "alive" and active in the tournament seen in louisiana. I think its mainly because there arnt enough tournaments which causes the less number of teams. If this did get started i think it would help bring paintball bigger to the south. But there could be a bunch of good things and bad things. I agree with a lot of things dave has said about reffing. IF we want this to happened the same reffs would have to be at every event. And i think the series such as cfoa would have to extend farther than just louisiana like mississippi maybe even alabama. That means more fields avaliable which means more teams and easier access for teams to play.
As for fields in louisiana talk to mr.charlie over at pbc, brad over at lethal, lax, and for mississippi defently hit up swat. Dont try to make this to big to begin with because then it will fall apart quicker than it began...
start off with maybe only 2 5man divisions beginner and rookie. Then maybe add a novice if theres a lot of interest...
Also as i said before make sure there are the safe refs who know the game and know all the rules be at every single event. Cfoa has an event almost every month. Thats a bit much when just starting out. Maybe have 4 events the whole year..March June, September and november or something along those lines. That makes it easier for tyeams to come up with the money, get organzied, and do anything else they need to do to make it to all of these events.

RNT SPEED
Fugitive182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM #71
artoskata
Bring the HEAT

Those were some pretty good ideas. thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM #72
dwell

as long as the series is a byop series, then more teams will participate in it. Then, many will not "assume" that the field operator is not making all of the $$$. Now to compensate the field owner, an "air fee" per player will help the field owners(like $15). Therefore, a 5-man with an average of 7 players per team and 5 teams will create $525.00 for the field owner for the event. Now a portion of the entry fee will pay for the "experienced ref" and another portion will be for prizes.
Now some may say that $15 per player air fee may not cover daily operations, but it will help defray the "wear and tear" of the compressed air and air ball field. The field owner should look as it as a "promotional event" for his young woods ballers and hyper ballers to watch.
just my Euro
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 PM #73
pballer71037
college kinda sux

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwell View Post
as long as the series is a byop series, then more teams will participate in it. Then, many will not "assume" that the field operator is not making all of the $$$. Now to compensate the field owner, an "air fee" per player will help the field owners(like $15). Therefore, a 5-man with an average of 7 players per team and 5 teams will create $525.00 for the field owner for the event. Now a portion of the entry fee will pay for the "experienced ref" and another portion will be for prizes.
Now some may say that $15 per player air fee may not cover daily operations, but it will help defray the "wear and tear" of the compressed air and air ball field. The field owner should look as it as a "promotional event" for his young woods ballers and hyper ballers to watch.
just my Euro
you dont understand how byop works for bigger series do you. the paint companies pay a large amount of money to the series at the beginning of the season so the series will shoot their paint. definately something worht looking into. but just entry and air will not pay for an event. you will come out in the hole every time or your prizes will be ****. either way not a good way to run an event.
pballer71037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM #74
xxrosie69xx

xxrosie69xx plays in the PSP
xxrosie69xx plays in the APPA beginner division
xxrosie69xx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
heres an options:
have smaller tournaments at a regional level. and do a few so its sort of a round robin format. have each team earn points for placing and then after you have those tournys have 1 big state championship tourny at a central feild in the state like lafayette or baton rouge or wherever. that way money is spread somewhat even amongst feilds and that keeps travel down.

what do u guys think
Russian Legion Fan Club #1036
xxrosie69xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM #75
Fugitive182
PBC Army

Fugitive182 plays in the PSP
Fugitive182 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if you really want some great ideas from someone who knows the game and people go to rock it games in metarie and talk to mr.h he'll tell you exactly what to do to make it works. Plus he knows everyone in the industry of paintball

RNT SPEED
Fugitive182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 PM #76
dwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer71037 View Post
you dont understand how byop works for bigger series do you. the paint companies pay a large amount of money to the series at the beginning of the season so the series will shoot their paint. definately something worht looking into. but just entry and air will not pay for an event. you will come out in the hole every time or your prizes will be ****. either way not a good way to run an event.
i know how byop works... you do not think kee sports or jt usa would not want to be a sponsor for a series? If the fields would call as a group and use a certain company(ies)' paint to be allowed byop then no one will think the fields will be ripping off the teams. so if you rp of jt hydro in the tourney as a byop or pre purchase the paint from the field of the sponsored paint then it can work.

this is a series that has been using teams for refs and byop

http://www.ntensesports.com/tourney

so you did not byop at cfoa?

btw is $525 not a good Sunday for an afternoon?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 PM #77
LSU Foolsball 69 (Banned)

I think we should do it ,but use the APPA so we can stop sand bagging. Do a registration then go by that and make a decision on to do it or not. Also pay for the whole thing as for event entry fee at the first of the season. like come up with a price for all the events ,and the fields will make money off the paint! Their is at least three fields able to host a big event like this should become.
LSU Foolsball 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM #78
pballer71037
college kinda sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwell View Post
i know how byop works... you do not think kee sports or jt usa would not want to be a sponsor for a series? If the fields would call as a group and use a certain company(ies)' paint to be allowed byop then no one will think the fields will be ripping off the teams. so if you rp of jt hydro in the tourney as a byop or pre purchase the paint from the field of the sponsored paint then it can work.

this is a series that has been using teams for refs and byop

http://www.ntensesports.com/tourney

so you did not byop at cfoa?

btw is $525 not a good Sunday for an afternoon?
!

yes we did but the sponsors paid larry 10000 to sell their paint. they will not do that for an up and coming series. also we spend more than 525 to practice. 525 will not keep your doors open. especially the refs are going to want at least 50 a piece cutting you down to 225. and that is not a very good sunday afternoon.

quoting lsu
Also pay for the whole thing as for event entry fee at the first of the season. like come up with a price for all the events ,and the fields will make money off the paint

that would probably be the best way to do it right at first.

Last edited by pballer71037 : 09-08-2008 at 11:36 PM.
pballer71037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 AM #79
dwell

$525 to practice?
then if 10 teams would be $5,250 for 10 teams to practice. who would need the $10,000 lol
tourneys usually make about $20 to $25 per case for tourney which would be 17 to 26 cases sold ($525)
the ref fee would come from the entry fee.
so you say $300 for refs.
entry fee for 5 man $200.00
$25 for additional players in addition to the 5 (about 2) $50

field fee $15 x 7 = $105
total for team $355
6 teams min (200 x 6= $1200.00)
refs -$300.00
50% for prizes -$600.00
===========================
field profit $300.00

field fee $105 x 6 = $630 total $930

so 8 teams profit would be $1130 and prize $800
10 teams $1330 prize $1000

5 events prize $5000
split 60 30 10

now a field owner in a 10 team event with everyone shooting atleast 2 to 3 cases per player (100 to 150 cases x $20 to $25 = $2000-$3750)

so each teams cost will be $200 ($250 for 7 man team)
field fee $15 x 5 $ 75 ($105)
paint $55-$60=$660-$900 ($220-$360)

cost $930 to $1615 per team

BYOP would make teams prevent the large outlay for a weekend and spread the cost over a couple of weeks or have a home field help with paint cost or a paint sponsorship
Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 AM #80

I am saying just figure how many teams will play. If you have 10 teams make the fee like 600 then you have 6k to work the series. Tell the field owners that they will make money on paint and food. Make cash prizes at the end of the series. So you will have a full committed teams that have already paid. Also have two divisions D4 and D3. I would use CFOA rules.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 AM #81
DAVE_M
Awaiting Email Confirmation

DAVE_M posts videos on PbNation
DAVE_M plays in the APPA D5 division
DAVE_M is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
DAVE_M is Legendary
I guess kids will never learn, eh ?

Thats why I stopped posting about this topic... to many hard headed people.
DAVE_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 AM #82
tharealest
FO SHO WIT IT

A BYOP event would have to have a stout entry fee.
Most fields in this area have to shut down the rest of their field when they host a tourney. If a tournament cant make what the field would have made that day on its own, thats not good to a field owner. We operate on, at most, 10 business days per month--if the weather allows. To sacrifice one of those days needs to be worth it.
I'd be willing to work with anyone up to oranizing this thing.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 AM #83
seantwopointone

seantwopointone plays in the PSP
seantwopointone is an NCPA player
seantwopointone plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
I guess kids will never learn, eh ?

Thats why I stopped posting about this topic... to many hard headed people.
Ditto.

I would love to see something like AOS or HRL here in LA but again, if it couldn't work in Texas the possibilities of having it work in LA are slim. By that I mean 90% of the events are at Tanks (I'm pretty sure but I'll have my flame suit ready).

Comparing something like this to CFOA is ridiculous. (Unless Derder starts filming at Off Limits).

If the Alec PB club (or any other field for that matter) can consistently put on tournaments that are consistently ref'ed, have consistent costs and most importantly consistent competition and set a model for other fields to follow. I think we may have something going. Until then the no amount of fuzzy math is going to work. Leagues like CFOA, GFOA, XPSL...ect are built over many years, not a day or a single thread.

That being said, I would love to see this happen and good luck.
Pi Kappa Phi-Theta Phi #23

Fierce Turds

Last edited by seantwopointone : 09-09-2008 at 03:05 AM.
seantwopointone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 AM #84

Like the realest is saying leave the fields to take care of the Paint and the series President take care a a entry. But I think one big entry for the year will make it a better turn out ,cause no matter what you will have your money and the field will make money too.
ReplyRegional Ups