PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM #1
raydoran

raydoran supports Bob Gurnsey
PM7 Wired Eyes and Stock Board Mod.

Not sure if anyone has done the mod this way, if it's a repeat sorry.
I know "stevebski" did a mod to his UL frame which is another option, but again mine is a little different approach.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post43423955

So I had the same issues everyone else has, don't like the ribbon eyes at all.
My situation is a little bit different, only for the fact I like the stock grip frame and didn't want to UL it. Below is a step by step pictorial on how I modded my marker body and the stock board to achieve wired eyes on my M7.
I'm not going to tell anyone what skill level you need to be to successfully do this mod, it's not overly difficult but I did have a mill at my disposal which is key if you want your marker to look like it did when it came from the factory. Dremel type hand tools may be able to do this mod, but guaranteed it looks like s**t when your done. Someone who is competent on a milling machine will take less than 15min. to skim the required material off the sides, so if you have to pay someone I don't think it will be overly expensive.
The second part to the mod. (the board) is not overly challenging either but if you have no experience with a soldering iron probably better to pass on this as well.
The eyes I used for this are the Alternative DM style for PM8, from the site that "erayser" runs "AlternativePB", don't know if others will work??, but rest assure those ones do.

raydoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM #2
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is a Supporting Member
Wow... nice job.

When you said you wanted the male connector to the board, I thought this was going to end up in failure. The installation looks very clean.
erayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 AM #3
raydoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
Wow... nice job.

When you said you wanted the male connector to the board, I thought this was going to end up in failure. The installation looks very clean.
Thanks for the vote of confidence LoL.........Just kidding.
The eyes worked out sweet, I'm pretty sure that only your reduced wire size PM8 eyes will work, simply because even after the mod it's still snug around the one end of the noid. Thanks for the male connectors, wasn't going to disclose where those were from because I didn't want a ton of people bothering you asking for them, but it looks as if your comfortable with that, so that's cool. Thanks for the help erayser!!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 AM #4
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
I wish I had the guts, let alone the ability, to take on a project like that - very nicely done. I'm handy with a soldering iron, but milling stuff? Not my forte.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 AM #5
faithalone
God...Faith...Paint

very nice and thanks for sharing this with all..
Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 PM #6
Uno Kronqvist
Girls like my snakeplay!

has been a member for 10 years
Uno Kronqvist supports Bob Gurnsey
Well done!! With pics and all!

www.grinpaintball.se
www.planeteclipse.com

BOOM! Headshot!
Uno Kronqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM #7
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydoran View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence LoL.........Just kidding.
The eyes worked out sweet, I'm pretty sure that only your reduced wire size PM8 eyes will work, simply because even after the mod it's still snug around the one end of the noid. Thanks for the male connectors, wasn't going to disclose where those were from because I didn't want a ton of people bothering you asking for them, but it looks as if your comfortable with that, so that's cool. Thanks for the help erayser!!
Well, after you told me what you do for a living, and what you have access to as far as machinary, I had a feeling you knew what you were doing.

I don't mind if you disclosed where you got the male connectors. Since you were crazy enough to mod your board, I though it was worth giving them to you.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 PM #8
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Well done in deed. If only I had a mill to work with either way, it looks great man! Death to ribbon eyes!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 AM #9
BigShow4U

Tell me if im wrong but, Every set of eyes have 2 positve's and 2 Negatives, one for each eye.

I have a 06 minion w/ a PM6 frame and board, (that uses the 3 wire ribbon from hell) .

i could get a set of eyes for a PM7/8 and make a converter to go from 4 wire ribbon to a 3 wire Ribon?

I hope you guys know what im trying to say.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/spo/1403058828.html
BigShow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:54 PM #10
raydoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow4U View Post
Tell me if im wrong but, Every set of eyes have 2 positve's and 2 Negatives, one for each eye.

I have a 06 minion w/ a PM6 frame and board, (that uses the 3 wire ribbon from hell) .

i could get a set of eyes for a PM7/8 and make a converter to go from 4 wire ribbon to a 3 wire Ribon?

I hope you guys know what im trying to say.
Not really sure what your trying to achieve?
As far as I remember, the stock board from the PM6/06Minion doesn't have PSP,Milenium or NXL, maybe better to make an investment in a new board that has the features your looking for.
PM me if you want to ask more detailed questions.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:01 PM #11
BigShow4U

trying to make an adapter to use the eyes for a PM7 on a minion/pm6. Stock eyes are $40 where PM7 are like $23. I already made 1 adapter for it, just wana see if it would work or not. The stock eyes are kinda hard to find too. But i can still get them from DYE.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM #12
raydoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow4U View Post
trying to make an adapter to use the eyes for a PM7 on a minion/pm6. Stock eyes are $40 where PM7 are like $23. I already made 1 adapter for it, just wana see if it would work or not. The stock eyes are kinda hard to find too. But i can still get them from DYE.
OK-I'm following now,
1-wire goes back to the transmitter
1-wire goes back to the receiver
1-wire is common to both the receiver and the transmitter. This is the pin hole that you will have to "Jerry Rig" to feed the new 4th pin on the new connector.
Anyhow G.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat78ta View Post
I'm gonna do this. I just found the eye connector on my board is broken. I've sent you a pm Erayser.
Let us know how you make out!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM #13
BigShow4U

Im just doin this to see if it work's so that when i do get a new board, all the bugs would be worked out and wont damage the new board. If it fries the stock board, i wont care. Plus it will give me an excuse to the wife so i can buy a new board. LOL. Im looking at the Proto matrix virtue Board. i like the break out mode. and its all 100% legal

Last edited by BigShow4U : 09-09-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM #14
phat78ta
that's cold blooded....

If you look at the first pic of the board, the one with the bare connections, you will see that the two holes (where you marked for the black wires) share a circut path on the board. Think of it as the ground for the circuit. Since they share a path on the board, it really doesn't matter which of the 2 holes you use. That's why a 3 wire plug will work. You are just using the same pin on the connector for both black wires.
Try This :
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2814656

Last edited by phat78ta : 09-13-2008 at 10:18 AM.
phat78ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:37 PM #15
phat78ta
that's cold blooded....

Radorayn, and Erayser, you two are the shiznit!!! This works sooooo perfectly!! it took all of about 5 min. AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO MILL THE BODY!!!! The PM8 wires are thin enough that you can tape them to the bottom of the 'noid and they will fit. I got much love for ya both. I'm gonna reccomend this for a sticky!!!!
Try This :

Last edited by phat78ta : 09-12-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 PM #16
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
^^^ I'm glad it worked.
I still think you and raydoran are crazy for soldering a DM eye connector to your boards.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 PM #17
raydoran

Quote:
Radorayn, and Erayser, you two are the shiznit!!! This works sooooo perfectly!! it took all of about 5 min. AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO MILL THE BODY!!!! The PM8 wires are thin enough that you can tape them to the bottom of the 'noid and they will fit. I got much love for ya both. I'm gonna reccomend this for a sticky!!!!
I figured that the eyes would work fine (just like they do in the PM8's without milling) I just like having them tucked in, but not completely necessary.
It's good to hear someone else did the board mod, and yes it is a piece of cake.

I have been to busy/lazy to swap out the board and eyes into my cousins PMR I have the basement. I'm pretty confident the same setup will work just fine in the PMR as well. Again congrats on the successful mod and as stevebski said earlier Death to ribbon eyes......LoL
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM #18
phat78ta
that's cold blooded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
^^^ I'm glad it worked.
I still think you and raydoran are crazy for soldering a DM eye connector to your boards.

A paintballer that isn't crazy is like a stripper without V.D. They just don't exist.

I put a little S bend in the sender wire post that goes in the hole on the board, and was able to get the connector to sit almost flush with the board. It used less solder, and I was able to flow the solder in from the back side of the board and make it look like it came that way!! I just wish that I had acess to a mill to do like you did Raydoran. If this is so dammit easy, WHY THE HELL DOESN'T DYE DO THIS FROM THE FACTORY?!?!

Now we all should chant together: "Muerto de los ribbon eyes!!! Viva Wired eyes!!!!"
Try This :

Last edited by phat78ta : 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 AM #19
raydoran

Quote:
A paintballer that isn't crazy is like a stripper without V.D. They just don't exist.

I put a little S bend in the sender wire post that goes in the hole on the board, and was able to get the connector to sit almost flush with the board. It used less solder, and I was able to flow the solder in from the back side of the board and make it look like it came that way!! I just wish that I had acess to a mill to do like you did Raydoran. If this is so dammit easy, WHY THE HELL DOESN'T DYE DO THIS FROM THE FACTORY?!?!

Now we all should chant together: "Muerto de los ribbon eyes!!! Viva Wired eyes!!!!"
You need some differences to justify the big price difference between the DM/PM. The other thing that is irritating about the PM's is how weak the trigger adjustment is, have to take the frame apart to adjust, but I guess when it's all set up it's not a big deal. These are some of the things they do out of factory (functionality differences) that make the DM a better model but I wouldn't say there is any difference in smoothness firing the PM7/DM7, it's just the little things that are different/irritating.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 AM #20
smasher41
I'm back!!

smasher41 is a Supporting Member
smasher41 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
congrats for discovering this mod, I've been doing such to PMR boards for a little while now, since the stock PMR/pm7 board fits with little modification perfectly into older angel lcd and space frames

If you want a cleaner looking install, try the 90* through hole jst connectors , keeps everything niec and compact.

My FeedBack 40 positive feedback!

Member #155 on PBN
smasher41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 AM #21
phat78ta
that's cold blooded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydoran View Post
You need some differences to justify the big price difference between the DM/PM. The other thing that is irritating about the PM's is how weak the trigger adjustment is, have to take the frame apart to adjust, but I guess when it's all set up it's not a big deal. These are some of the things they do out of factory (functionality differences) that make the DM a better model but I wouldn't say there is any difference in smoothness firing the PM7/DM7, it's just the little things that are different/irritating.
If the trigger adjustment is an issue, you can take the top screw out and reverse it, and the you can adjust it from inside the grip. The differences in features dosen't justify the price difference. A UL frame and barrel, and the LPR in the back is the only differences. I personally(and know you do too) hate the UL frame. the Ul barrel is good, but not worth the $$. Somehow, it would seem to me that using ribbon eyes, and the fact that they are so fragile would end up costing more in the long run, with broken parts at the factory and such. Overall, i think thePM line is a more reliable and hardy line that the DM's. I hear so many problems with the DM's, and hardly any PM issues. Maybe O-rings. That's about all.
Try This :

Last edited by phat78ta : 09-13-2008 at 10:20 AM.