Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-21-2001, 12:08 AM #1
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

has been a member for 10 years
New Viking!!!

OK Campers... It's time for a WC Preview (Sorry but I don't have pictures)

The New Viking!

First a little History.
The Original Viking was meant to be a Low Pressure Blow Back Body Kit. It had all of AKAs parts: Tornado Valve, Lightning Bolt, Sidewinder etc... It was designed to accept the Center Flag Electric grip frame, Autococker threaded barrels and run equally well on either CO2 or N2. It was hoped that the Viking would allow Newer Players a chance to compete with the Electros on the field with a low cost electro of their own. However with the release of markers like the Spyder Flash and others, AKA decided to scrap the Original Viking and scurry back to the Drawing Board (Or to the Computer with AutoCAD) and design the New Viking!

[Trumpet fanfare] THE NEW VIKING! [/Trumpet Fanfare]

Based off of the Excalibur Extrusion, the Viking is now an open bolt electro pneumatic low pressure monster. Possibly capable (Needs more testing) of reaching operating pressures lower than the excalibur, and easily capable of rates of fire in excess of 13bps (Sorry kiddies, but the board will be capped at 13bps) the New Viking will take the paintball world by storm. You can expect a battery life approx. double that of a Excal (Still runs on a 9v). Standard double or single triggers will be available, accepts Excalibur threaded feed tubes and generally just kicks a**.

That's about it. I don't know what it will retail for, but hopefully someone should know by WC. If you have specific questions, let's have them, I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Sully
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2001, 12:21 AM #2
Rizzo
Yep.

Will it still have options like Intelli-feed, BDS, Warp Feed, and all of the others? That is, once they get them finished. What is the approximate cocking pressure, efficiency, and will the bolt stop on a ball like the Excalibur? Will they also stock the same acid wash colors as the Excalibur, or do you know yet. How long would it take to cook a sunny-side-up egg with it, that is if you are into that sort of thing. Oh, and one other thing, will the soda can mod for the Excalibur work the same on the Viking, or will it work better (once it is perfected).

These are things people are dying to know.

Rizzo
Old 10-21-2001, 12:32 AM #3
mrobnoxious
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What do you mean, you dont have pictures? It is an excalibur body with an excalibur trigger frame? Just look at the Excalibur picture thread? I am being sarcastic.<---I added that for Rizzo

Last edited by mrobnoxious : 10-21-2001 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:36 AM #4
Rizzo
Yep.

Whatever hater.
Old 10-21-2001, 01:34 AM #5
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

>Will it still have options like Intelli-feed, BDS, Warp Feed, and all of the others?
Yes, as far as I know

>What is the approximate cocking pressure, efficiency, and will the bolt stop on a ball like the Excalibur?
Op pressure - 180psi or lower. Cocking pressure - 90psi in the prototype. Will go lower as it breaks in. Bolt won't stop on a ball, it will bounce off and stay open (Cause it's an open bolt!)

>Will they also stock the same acid wash colors as the Excalibur, or do you know yet.
Probably.

>How long would it take to cook a sunny-side-up egg with it, that is if you are into that sort of thing.
If you are asking these type of questions, I'm afraid of what you do with your Excal.

>Oh, and one other thing, will the soda can mod for the Excalibur work the same on the Viking, or will it work better (once it is perfected).
Soda can mod is for Excals only. Vikings will need 20oz bottles.
Old 10-21-2001, 01:36 AM #6
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrobnoxious
What do you mean, you dont have pictures? It is an excalibur body with an excalibur trigger frame? Just look at the Excalibur picture thread? I am being sarcastic.<---I added that for Rizzo
Kind of, but not really like an Excal.

I don't have pictures of Excal either.
Old 10-21-2001, 02:12 AM #7
Chemmy
Banned

I made this for when I originally saw the Viking... I'll make up my mind about the new one when I see it. Enjoy.

Old 10-21-2001, 09:48 AM #8
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemmy
I made this for when I originally saw the Viking... I'll make up my mind about the new one when I see it. Enjoy.
So I guess that poorly designed Luxury Spyders with electronic gripframes will fly? Hmmm

I think the the original viking was a good idea. You know, give newer players a chance to buy a easy to maintain electronic style gun for less than a Bushy or something. Unfortunatly, the price of the original body kit made that prohibitive. That's why they stopped making the originals. I'm looking forward to finding out how much they will be charging for the new ones.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:37 AM #9
Rizzo
Yep.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrobnoxious
As was I.

We need to have a talking to with the PBN Admin and have them come up with some sort of "sarcastic font." That way this little incident doesn't happen again, because when stuff like that happens people start crying (not me though), feelings get hurt (not me either), and sometimes people think it is downright funny (this is me, however).

Hater.

Rizzo
Old 10-21-2001, 02:28 PM #10
Stitched2Gether

I think this is very cool. I bought an Impulse because it was a cheap electro that seemed to perform well, but I'v been disappointed by it's quality. The anno wasn't very good, it had some consistency problems, and a new version came out every other week. I would rather have a similar gun for more money that is made by a company known for their quality control and service than from a company who is known for their lack of quality control and service... but that's just me.
Old 10-21-2001, 05:46 PM #11
Chemmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sully

I think the the original viking was a good idea. You know, give newer players a chance to buy a easy to maintain electronic style gun for less than a Bushy or something. Unfortunatly, the price of the original body kit made that prohibitive. That's why they stopped making the originals. I'm looking forward to finding out how much they will be charging for the new ones.
Wasn't it like $400 without the Centerflag grip? That's a load of money for a Spyder.
Old 10-21-2001, 05:50 PM #12
Shorty

Quote:

So I guess that poorly designed Luxury Spyders with electronic gripframes will fly? Hmmm

I got the impression that the poo was falling to the ground at the end of that animation, so no...
Old 10-21-2001, 06:26 PM #13
Stitched2Gether

Will this new Viking have solinoids or will it use a sear ram like the Center Flag grip frame?
Old 10-21-2001, 09:42 PM #14
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

Quote:

Unfortunatly, the price of the original body kit made that prohibitive. That's why they stopped making the originals.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemmy

Wasn't it like $400 without the Centerflag grip? That's a load of money for a Spyder.
Yes it was. But with guns llike the Spyder Flash and the Spyder AMG coming out, and offering a electronic boo-yah grip frame as part of the package, AkA realised that there was no market for their body kit. Which means that I have the only Original Viking in existance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stitched2Gether
Will this new Viking have solinoids or will it use a sear ram like the Center Flag grip frame?
It will have one solenoid
Old 10-21-2001, 09:53 PM #15
backblock

So we are basically looking at an aka angel/bm2k clone? Sounds like a decent Idea. Will the excal still be the flagship marker? If it is based on the excal extrusion will it have the same crosection as an excal? That would seem pretty wide for a gun that is inhearently simpler.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:23 AM #16
Tony
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Post opinions

Ok, I usually dont express my opinions on the boards, but i would like to see this new Viking make a big hit on the market, so...

One thing that i think the new Viking should have is better style. I know it takes longer on the machines to mill, and as a result, will cost more, BUT, i also know that a lot of people these days make their final decisions about markers based on looks.
I personally would like to see the new Viking incorporate some better style than what the previous Viking had. I know that someone from aka will be reading this thread, so i would really like to see some more style options with this marker taken into consideration. Possibly two versions of the marker? One with more a hardcoat anno and a simpler milling pattern, and a model more stylish, aerodynamically milling and colored, or gloss anno'd version.

This marker has some major potential, lets see what aka can do!

Old 10-22-2001, 02:31 PM #17
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

Quote:
Originally posted by backblock
So we are basically looking at an aka angel/bm2k clone? Sounds like a decent Idea. Will the excal still be the flagship marker? If it is based on the excal extrusion will it have the same crosection as an excal? That would seem pretty wide for a gun that is inhearently simpler.
Not a Clone. The way the air is routed through the gun is completly different from the Angel or the BM2K.

The Excal will still be in production.

It will have a 3tube cross section like the excalibur. The Idea of basing it off of the Merlin Extrusion was toyed around with, but it was decided that it was not feasible. (The marker would have been TALL) Yes the Viking is simpler than the Excal, but in using the Excalibur extrusion, you are capable of having a LP air chamber bigger than that of any other gun on the market. I don't know if that makes any difference or not, but it makes Aaron very happy.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:20 PM #18
Reciprocity

What would impress me is, an efficiant low preasure open bolt eltro with the same quality as the Excal. If they can pull it off and sell it for under $1k with some decent milling and 3 or so stock gloss anno's then I guarentee that it will fly off the shelfs. You could build almost the same marker as the Excal and just change the Electronic timing from closed bolt to open bolt and tie the hammer ram to the bolt and remove the second ram and second soleniod. That is ofcourse an over simplifaction of what they would have to do, but its the basic gist. Also, having 2 products that share many of the same componants will drive the cost down on both products. Especially if the new Viking is cheep enough to compete with low end Angels and higher end Angel clones. I would also like to see the BDS done soon, as it will add value to both products.
Excal #200 with New Board and New LED Tray.
Shocktech Rail Drop Forward.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 10-22-2001, 08:13 PM #19
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
Talking News from the 'Cup

MSRP is $775. They already have pre-orders for 3 after the first day of the tournament! I will get some pix and hopefully a video of it tomorrow. I was busy working (LOL, is it work if you love it?) on Excaliburs today. Okay I was actually upping the ROF and doing preventive maintenance on Excaliburs. As far as I know there wasn't a single failure with any Excalibur. Look in the Tournament/NPPL forum late this evening for some pix and thoughts from World Cup.
Dan
Old 10-23-2001, 05:57 PM #20
grinch
here we go........

will it have a wholesale markup on it of over $20.00 or will i have to morgage my house to order 100 so i can get a decent price break on them?
balling is our biss!
Old 10-23-2001, 06:03 PM #21
iceman200

you will definalty have to morgage your house cause aka are money grubbers grinch you know what im talkin about so i suggest NOT DOIN custom ones of course instead of margageing your house you could sell your family and house and live up at the store...lol but if you sold sold everything that only give you 100,000 the price break is at a million so good luck commin up with the rest

Last edited by iceman200 : 10-24-2001 at 09:02 AM.