PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 AM #22
sabgetran

sabgetran has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sabgetran has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ok sweet i may get wired eyes but i not familiar what the difference is.
sabgetran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 AM #23
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
These are ribbon eyes - in this instance, for a Shocker NXT: -

These are wired eyes (Ego eyes in this instance - both are just being used as an example, and are just things that I had to hand).

The main difference between the two eye types is obvious - the wired eyes literally use wire to connect the eye elements. The ribbon eyes use thin metal traces sealed between layers of plastic tape. These traces are relatively fragile and can be damaged if the ribbon kinks.

Although these eyes are for different markers, and neither for a PM8, it should be obvious none the less that the ribbon eyes will also use a different connector to wired eyes - ribbon push in to a slot that contains elements that make direct contact with the end of the metal traces, whereas wired eyes have a plug and socket arrangement. This means that to use wired eyes, you either need a board with the correct socket to accept wired eyes, or you need an adapter to allow wired eyes to be connected to the ribbon eye slot.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 AM #24
A.Tech
Will paint faces

I don't understand why my topic gets locked and this one is untouched. I was asking the same EXACT thing. And I got locked. WTF
"coming back to paintball after a year and half long Hiatus!!! All I need is a gun, a UL barrel and a Rotor(again,lol), LOOKING For Liquid Rotors and maybe Camo Just want Macdev DROIDSS for now. Black,blue, or black and blue, Or red trim and black.

[/center]
A.Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 AM #25
sabgetran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post

The main difference between the two eye types is obvious - the wired eyes literally use wire to connect the eye elements. The ribbon eyes use thin metal traces sealed between layers of plastic tape. These traces are relatively fragile and can be damaged if the ribbon kinks.

Although these eyes are for different markers, and neither for a PM8, it should be obvious none the less that the ribbon eyes will also use a different connector to wired eyes - ribbon push in to a slot that contains elements that make direct contact with the end of the metal traces, whereas wired eyes have a plug and socket arrangement. This means that to use wired eyes, you either need a board with the correct socket to accept wired eyes, or you need an adapter to allow wired eyes to be connected to the ribbon eye slot.
well my nxts are fine i didnt think they were fragile at all... lol but i thought that the ul frame had the connection for both??? idk is the pm8 ul different than the dm ul? and are laser eyes worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Tech View Post
I don't understand why my topic gets locked and this one is untouched. I was asking the same EXACT thing. And I got locked. WTF
idk sorry buddy...
Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM #26
Uziel Gal

Not all UL boards have the same connectors on them.

If you are upgrading an older PM for instance, Dye assume that you will have the stock eyes (ribbon), and so the board supplied comes with the ribbon eye slot. Buy a UL frame for a DM4/5, and the board only has a socket for wired eyes, as that is what they expect you to have in your stock marker.

I'll be honest, I don't know off the top of my head if the PM8 board, specifically, has both connectors or not - I don't have a PM8 to hand right now. However, earlier versions of the stock UL boards have had one connector or the other. Aftermarket boards are more likely to have both.

As for laser eyes, they don't really do anything that stock eyes don't. OK, the light beam is in the visible spectrum, and that lets you know that the transmitter beam is working. However, that still doesn't let you know that the eyes are fully functional, as the receiver could be broken and not seeing the light from the transmitter. They are for looks and bragging rights more than anything.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 PM #27
sabgetran

ok well ill see when i get it so it should be fine... i just dont want to have to upgrade it
Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 AM #28
Uziel Gal

Just an update - an '08 UL board should have both eye connections, but earlier versions won't.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM #29
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is a Supporting Member
Yup, like Uziel Gal said, the 08 UL boards should have both connectors. To verify, you can look at this pic (circled in red):
http://www.alternativepb.com/images/08ULboard.jpg

Just keep in mind that not all wired eyes will fit in a PM8 because of the thickness of the wires. The PM8 doesn't have very much room to route the wires. If you get eyes that have wires that are fairly thin, it should work fine:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2777299

sabgetran: I PM'd you more info.
erayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM #30
sabgetran

sweet does anyone know how an RF chip fits in one?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:15 PM #31
RC-1136
Twitch

RC-1136 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RC-1136 is an NCPA player
RC-1136 plays in the APPA D5 division
Reading through the thread I cant say much that hasn't already been said. Couple of observations though...

When you talk about cold temps, I live in Montana. I've played in 11 below temps. The first thing you need to do is ONLY use sleek in the winter. Every other lube I've seen has frozen at those temps. Also turn the ABS off. It will make you break more paint than normal. Also, keep the gun warm as possible to prevent O-ring contraction. Basic cold weather stuff.

And where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty.......

01JUNE09: RIP, BLD 1700