PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-10-2001, 08:51 PM #43
The Great Morpheus
Its Bunker Wipe I Swear

has been a member for 10 years
Cool i was gonna order a LPR/tool kit tommrow for my soon to come viking glad you stopped me.

SRQ Hired Gun
My Feedback
Old 12-18-2001, 06:56 PM #44
timebomb
RAZALIFE.COM

timebomb is a Supporting Member
timebomb is a founding member
timebomb works for a Paintball manufacturer
timebomb donated to help Peyton Trent
Besides losing a solenoid and being open bolt...is a ram operating the bolt seperately from the ram/hammer that strikes the valve?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-18-2001, 07:02 PM #45
JoKeR 13

JoKeR 13 is a Supporting Member
Morpheus: I'm wrong on the LPR tester. You can use the same one. I was under the impression that you would replace the hammer in the same manner as on the Excalibur. On the Viking the LPR tester screws into the same tube (back left) of the body. The only thing is that you must remove the front o-ring from the tester.

Timebomb: The same ram opens the valve and cycles the bolt.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:04 PM #46
timebomb
RAZALIFE.COM

timebomb is a Supporting Member
timebomb is a founding member
timebomb works for a Paintball manufacturer
timebomb donated to help Peyton Trent
So then what's the difference between it and an angel? Is there one? Besides efficency of course

Mike
Old 12-18-2001, 08:16 PM #47
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally posted by timebomb
So then what's the difference between it and an angel? Is there one? Besides efficency of course

Mike
Quality and customer service.
I like the feel of the Excalibur and the Viking. It feels more natural in my hand than an Angel does. Personal "feel" is what sets the dfference between a lot of different guns.

Dan
Old 12-18-2001, 09:09 PM #48
DogBoy
SP makse me wana.......

DogBoy is a Supporting Member
here are some of the differences I see.

about 400 bones, a life time warranty from a great company that is truly consumer concise, cocker barrel threads, quick bolt access, built like a tank, no board fry, comes with one of the best regs on the market, uses common 9v batteries, no upgrades needed, made here in the U.S.A., and not every one and their dog has one yet.

"never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
Old 12-18-2001, 11:32 PM #49
MurderIncKidz

so whens the new release date?
Old 12-21-2001, 10:00 PM #50
Omega6_Virus
Distributor of Pain

Questions

First off I'm sorry for moving an old thread up and asking any questions that I didn't see answered when I looked over this thread. But here they go.
1) (the infamous question) Why is the Viking so much less?
2) when I see pictures of the excal and viking they look exactly the same, how is the viking open and the excal closed bolt when I see what looks to be a bolt pin.
3) I have always loved excals. now I can get a viking for almost half the price. but they only thing detering me from giving my timmy up is the 13pbs. Does this really matter? I mean my gun is capped at 14 and I cant even shoot that fast yet.
4) Since they both have the sidewinder reg, I should get about the same consistancy as I see in the videos right?
thanks
Old 12-21-2001, 11:06 PM #51
djmjohan

viking stuff

closed bolt or open bolt has nothing to do with the bolt pin. Closed bolt means that, at rest, the bolt is in the forward position, sealing a ball in the breech.
Open bolt means that the bolt is in the rearward position at rest, with a ball ready to go, but not pushed forward into the breech closed position.

As far as the price difference...who knows. Damn those solenoids must be expensive if dropping one, lowers the price by $500.

Probably the other reason, is that AKA have done some homework and realise people are naturally going to be comparing to markers like the Timmy, and the Viking needs to be price-competitive.

Just my guess.

As for consistency over the chrono, well, with the same reg, you'd expect that the Viking could be tuned to the same level of consistency. But someone else posted that the Excal is good for +- 1fps, whereas the Viking is good for +-4fps.

Well, I didn't find that one but, Joker posted one simikar. And he should know, I guess.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...threadid=38903
Old 12-21-2001, 11:10 PM #52
triple-c
Beastin' it Up

triple-c is a founding member
Smile I help you , you help me

Lets see...

1. It has 1 or 2 (not sure) less solenoids in it making it MUCH cheaper to manufacter

2. The Viking is open-bolt, it has a bolt pin cuz you can pull the bolt out during play to squeegee through the body. The Viking was made from an Excal body, they just stripped it of some solenoids-

3. Hmm...Shooting fast enough should not be a problem. The Viking is capable of shooting faster than an Excal, but it doesn'
t matter cuz it'll be capped at 13bps like most guns. I do believe they will have an anti-chop eye for the Viking soon too-

4. I'd like to know too, But WHAT VIDS? I Want to see too!! tell me , you help me now

VT PAINTBALL
Old 12-21-2001, 11:18 PM #53
The Great Morpheus
Its Bunker Wipe I Swear

Yeah the guy from aka(the one that is hanging of the feed tube) told me about the +/- 4 to a +/- 1 on the excal and viking. The excal uses two solinoids and the viking uses one. Think about the impulse and shocker there prices are about the same ratio as the viking and excal. Both manufactuers offer a lower priced open bolt and a higher priced closed bolt.

SRQ Hired Gun
My Feedback
Old 12-22-2001, 07:02 AM #54
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

Let's get something straight here. Just because the Viking only has one less solenoid than the Excalibur IS NOT going to drop the price of the marker $500. It is one of the reasons that it is so inexpensive, but there are others.

The Viking only has one ram where the Excalibur has two. This means, less time on the machines, fewer parts to be manufactured, fewer man-hours for production, fewer parts to be annodized and a faster assembly time.

The Viking and Excalibur will also have some parts that are interchangable. This will allow AKA to manufacture those parts for less (In the long run)
Old 12-24-2001, 06:56 PM #55
Vasily
Who wants a Hug?

Wish I could trade my cocker for a viking. they soo nice.
KAPP green metal panel grips, Green ANS Quick pull bolt, Green ANS gen x inline regulator, green Ball detent,Kapp green beaver tail, Green Shocktech trigger shoe, Green KAPP pump arm, Green Shocktech Pneumatic Hoses, Green ANS 3-way, ANS actuator rod,Low pressure chamber for front pneumatics,ANS Mini-Ram, KAPP Green beaver tail, lapco Bigshot barrel, black KAPP on/off drop zone cradle,Zap Mach 404 hopper, 12 VOLT REVY
Old 12-25-2001, 12:46 AM #56
Reciprocity

Adding to what Sully said,

The market for a $775 marker is much larger then the market for a $1275 marker. Thus the profit margins can be lower on the Viking. Introducing a new product that shares alot of the same compenants with 2x the market is a good way to increase your gross revenues where you wouldnt have sold a dimes worth of product. If you own and love your Viking, would you upgrade to an Excal? Maybe. Maybe not, you might just love your Viking to much. But I am sure many will.

Viking 775 + Mac Dev 45/45 360 + HALO 130 = $1265
Angel 1100 + AIR 68/45 500 + HALO 130 = $1730

God knows you dont need Angel AIR or a HALO. But those 2 setups with be very comperable as far as performance and shoots per fill.

And another thing about AKA and releasing products. They will not release anything that isnt perfect. So just be patiant and you will enjoy the product that much more when you finnally get it. Besides the HALO isnt out yet either.
Excal #200 with New Board and New LED Tray.
Shocktech Rail Drop Forward.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 12-25-2001, 03:22 AM #57
Calin

Calin is a Moderator
Calin is a Supporting Member
Calin donated to help Peyton Trent
Calin supports Bob Gurnsey
hold off one sec.

I admire everyone's loyality to AKA. But come on. You are comparing the Viking to the Angel. Why? Because it looks like the other 1000+ gun. And it is open bolt? That is stupid. Bushmaster is open bolt. You don't see that ranked up with the Angel. The Impulse is a nice open bolt and you don't see that one either ranked up with the Angel. So what makes you think that the Viking will compare with an Angel LCD.

And Reciprocity your comparison is wrong. Firstly because you comparing a marker to the Angel and it isn't even released yet. And if you want to compare Angel to the Viking then you need the current market value of the Angel LED not LCD.

Viking 775 + Mac Dev 330 + 12 Volt Revvy 50 = 1155

Angel LED 600 + Mac Dev 330 + 12 Volt Revvy 50 = 980

And look you get the same performance. And if you get a SE Angel then you even get better looks to go with it. Now this isn't to down the Viking but rather to show people another option. To get people to open up their mind.

Truly "ignorant" people are those who call others "ignorant, misinformed, uninformed" and are the same people that have lost an argument.

Typos happen.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:48 AM #58
mrobnoxious
Awaiting Email Confirmation

msmfc, you are comparing the price of a used angel to the new price of a Viking. Why not try msrp 99' led to a Viking msrp. The Viking still comes with lifetime warranty, no extra costs.
Excalibur #21
Old 12-25-2001, 05:09 PM #59
Calin

Calin is a Moderator
Calin is a Supporting Member
Calin donated to help Peyton Trent
Calin supports Bob Gurnsey
Even if we did do regular prices. The Angel LED was 949. Which is more then the Viking. But also remember that the first Angel was a revolution in electro paintball, so they charged more. I'm sure if the Viking came first then the LED would have sold for 700 bucks. Also remember that the Angel LED is made in England where labor is very expensive and also keep in mind the shipping cost of bringing an Angel to the states. I can sit here all day long and argue with you why this and why that. But the fact of the matter is we are talking about what you can get now, as in today

And the Angel LED still has a damn nice warranty. I remember bringing my old Angel LED to the WDP booth and they took a look at it swapped boards out and replaced a lot of other things and only charged me 30 bucks, even thoough some of those parts were working, I just wanted new parts. Also with the Angel LED you rarely have anything that goes wrong with it. And if someone doesmore people know the Angel then they do the Viking.

Truly "ignorant" people are those who call others "ignorant, misinformed, uninformed" and are the same people that have lost an argument.

Typos happen.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:24 PM #60
badchad

You're a moron. The Viking, Angel, Bushmaster, and Impulse are all open bolt. Why aren't they compared? They are targeted to a different market.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:17 AM #61
Mr. Y2K
Prime Minister of Canada

Mr. Y2K is a Supporting Member
Mr. Y2K is a founding member
has anyone gotten one yet? how do they shoot? I think I'll get this for my next gun.

This is my witty remark.
Don't be hatin
Old 12-30-2001, 10:50 AM #62
VooDoo_Weazel
J Cro the mook

VooDoo_Weazel is a founding member
VooDoo_Weazel plays in the PSP
VooDoo_Weazel plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally posted by DogBoy
here are some of the differences I see.

about 400 bones, a life time warranty from a great company that is truly consumer concise, cocker barrel threads, quick bolt access, built like a tank, no board fry, comes with one of the best regs on the market, uses common 9v batteries, no upgrades needed, made here in the U.S.A., and not every one and their dog has one yet.
angel threads are about as common as cocker threads, the angels has quick bolt access, hardly any maintenance, the angel has a rechargeable battery - you dont have to keep buying 9vs for it. angels need no upgrades either.

i have nothing against the viking or AKA, i just thought that needed saying

i might just sell my LCD and get a viking, gonna wait for reviews first...
TMG OUTLAWS
Old 12-30-2001, 12:12 PM #63
DogBoy
SP makse me wana.......

DogBoy is a Supporting Member
VooDoo_Weazel, angel barrels are as common as cocker barrels but I bet more people will be coming to the viking from a cocker than from the angel. I say this because the viking is priced as more of a mid level gun and the angel and excal are at the top of the high end market. as for bolt access the viking will have the same style bolt as the excal and I have first hand experience with it. I can have the bolt on my excal out and back in before most angel owners can open their breach. also the vikings bolt could be pulled back by hand if there was a messy chop and it got stuck with shell. in the case of the angel a squiggy will need to be stuck down the barrel to reset the bolt (I have seen this happen). I use rechargeable 9v batteries in my hoppers so the excal and viking using them was a plus for me. until the halos release most hoppers use 9v's so your buying them anyway. with the viking a couple drops of extreme lube in the reg and on the bolt is the only maintenance that should be needed.

I like angels, I'm just clarifying the differences as asked by timebomb.
"So then what's the difference between it and an angel? Is there one? Besides efficiency of course."

"never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"