PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-09-2008, 03:44 AM #1
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
nightime play and 26 hour games.

So what do people use so that dont fall down or run into tree during 26 hour games?? I saw on ebay a barrel mounted led flashlight for milsiim type gun.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2008, 07:42 PM #2
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base

Annual Supporting Member
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
you can use a flashlight if you so please. EMR for example has lights setup on various parts of the field. Last year the tower out in the speedball field had like 4 or 6 floodlights on the top. Which kept us all blinded as we tried to attack it. Allowed everyone on that side of the field to see, then there was a light coming off the rec center going the other way which allowed us to see a little.

Some people rock Nightvision, which 150-250 bucks really isnt a bad investment on a gen 1 nightvision. Some people carry spot lights.

I know the terrain so i personally dont get anywhere that i know im gonna be lost or hurt. Plus i can pretty much see everything thats relatively close in front of me. Once u get into actual wooded areas though it does get super dark, so you have to stay facing a direction that has light on the other side so u can see outlines of trees and buildings.

A flashlight on your shoulder/gun or in your pocket isnt a bad idea if you bring it to use occasionally to see where your at.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 AM #3
Raptor_E

Raptor_E owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Yeah some large fields have areas that are lit already, Splatbrothers in VA is an example of that also. I wouldn't recommend using a flashlight, as its range is limited and will probably just make you a target. I carry a small one in my pocket for identifying people at close ranges (especially when helping with base security at night. Thats a real pain in the behind.)

Night vision can really give you an edge if you want to spend the money. But for a relatively inexpensive way to beat the darkness, look at handheld spotlights. You can get them at hardware stores, they have tremendous range and if one guy in your squad is carrying one of these you can check those suspicous looking bushes from a safe distance. My team has 2, a 1 million and a 2 million candlepower. Boy did the other teams HATE us, they called the spotlight the "Eye of Sauron" (it was misting/foggy during the night portion of a game so the spotlight was very eerie). When we took our turn as CP security, we had both spotlights in the top of a tower overlooking the base and NO ONE could sneak up. One group tried to come behind us on a helicopter through the woods but once they "touched down" we blasted them with the light and they got lit up from all sides...One kid also tried to sneak into our tower later that night but was so blinded by the light when we caught him he fell over and covered his eyes LOL.

"...even Nedry knew better than to mess with the raptor fences,"
Raptor_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM #4
beakerman

don't bring a flashlight onthe field and fire it up. that's a sure fire way to get about ten hoppers of paint fired at ou all at he same time. Almost everyone that plays the night portion--new or old instinctively fires at lights--there is someone holding the light and they might try to shoot me so i shoot first ask questions later.

Your best bet is to pony up for night vision of some sort. My advice is buy the best you can afford. Even Gen1 is better than nothing in most cases--but don't use the liluminator becasue those of us with night vision gear shoot at Ir sourses too--see above comments about flashlights. Same thing applies with the illuminators the NV gear can see them so they are targets.

The most important thing to learn is how to use NV systems properly. There are several pages that discuss the topic but I find the the much hated and often banned TB of WorldofTB does the best job of feeding your head on the topic of NVG that I have found in quite some time. Go take a look at his dissertation on NVGs. If you can ignore all the political stuff that goes on there you can actually learn quite a bit about playing scenario ball by reading what is posted there--ou just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I typically will not use any NVG--I have them and cary them with me but don't use them because I have pretty good natural night vision. In fact I can typically see people with NVG before they see me becasue the NVG casts a faint light on to the mask and face when they are on--they have to be mounted outside the mask or on the marker--well don't have to be but most are. All of them use some sort of display that gives off visible light--again see comments about flashlights being targets.

The real key to night play is move in the same places you would move during the day--darkeness does not make you immune to the needs for concealment and cover but move slowly--I've never heard of someone falling when they moved slowly. Make sure you are not back lit--in other words if there is a lighted area on the field don't come from there to an objective in the shadows because everyone in the shadows sees your movements. Basically think about what you are doing.

If you can't see worth a darned at night and don't want to buy NVGs then team up with someone that can see(it doesn't matter how they can)--I have a few folks on my team that just hold onto my pod pack at night and follow me everywhere and shoot where I tell them to, pull security at the base or play the lighted areas.
beakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 AM #5
JESTERTLS

I have used hand held flash lights, 3,000,000 candle power spot light, and 1st gen NVG. I use the NVG rarely as 1st gen aint the best, and the 3rd gen peeps can see my illuminator. The spot light just depends on what game it is... If I'm gonna be doing defense work at a base, these are good to have.

Most of the night games I do, I stay to two different fields and I know the field. So in all honesty, I just sorta blunder arond in the dark and dont use anything. I always keep a flash light on me how ever. If your in doubt of your footing, use it. It aint worth breaking a leg or twisting an ankle. And I have played night games at some fields that one bad step and its a good 50 feet before you stop rolling down the hill, should you miss the trees, logs, and rocks.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM #6
J.Bissell

Red light.

To add to all of the great suggestions... I've not played any night paintball, but I've done many other nighttime/dark activities. Get a flashlight with a red light or red filter. The red spectrum of light doesn't register as much with the human eye, and it also doesn't ruin your night vision. So if you have to use a flashlight to check footing etc... It's much less likely someone will see that red light in their peripheral vision than they would regular light. Good luck however if they're looking right at you.

Yet another addendum... Night vision isn't immediate upon entering the dark... Normally it takes about 45 minutes for your eyes to adjust fully to the dark, and fully register the low level of light. The reason for this is there is a chemical that slowly builds up in your eyes that makes it more sensitive to light, just a couple seconds of bright light can ruin that and break down the chemical that makes your eyes more sensitive. As I mentioned before red light also helps with this because it won't ruin your night vision because the red spectrum doesn't break down that chemical as fast.

So use red light

Don't look at bright lights (or at least directly at them)
J.Bissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM #7
HitMan.
UNDERTAKERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_E View Post
When we took our turn as CP security, we had both spotlights in the top of a tower overlooking the base and NO ONE could sneak up.
I bet I could
All great points listed above. Night time play is another style and one my team and I love most. If any player hasn't tried it. I say they do. Even if its your first time. Go out with others who have done it a few times and have an idea and the "TOYS" to do so.
If your ever at a field we're at and want to tag along. Just ask. We love to introduce the night play to new players/teams all the time, and they all LOVE it and ask "when is the next night game"
Old 10-22-2008, 03:41 PM #8
NOT SO COOL KIDS
www.NotSoCoolKids.com

Most Night Vision Are Used Like Binoculers.

How Do You Utilize Night Vision Goggles Efficiently Over Your Paintball Mask?
NOT SO COOL KIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 PM #9
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
Well if your rocking headgear style ones the actual system itself is out from your lense a good 1/2" or so. That combined with the rubber/plastic eye area's around the actual lenses allow you to be able to see. Most systems i think have atleast 46mm but i could be wrong, i believe anything that size and bigger theres no problem seeing when attached. I used a single monocular style one and didnt have any viewing problems when putting it directly upto my lense.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 AM #10
Raptor_E

Raptor_E owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitMan. View Post
I bet I could
All great points listed above. Night time play is another style and one my team and I love most. If any player hasn't tried it. I say they do. Even if its your first time. Go out with others who have done it a few times and have an idea and the "TOYS" to do so.
If your ever at a field we're at and want to tag along. Just ask. We love to introduce the night play to new players/teams all the time, and they all LOVE it and ask "when is the next night game"
Oh many tried, and many failed

We were pretty organized, the field setup around our CP was excellent as we manned a 5 story tower in the center of an open area the size of a soccer field. We also had base security checking IDs in a perimeter and a team of scouts to investigate anything we identified with the spotlights.

One kid did manage to get into a smaller tower attached to ours, but he had to cross the open field in a "helicopter" (dude with flag walking) and didn't live for too long once we dispatched 7-8 guys to surround his position.

But if you are sneaky enough to get through all this and get a General Kill, I'd love to shake your hand.

There's a 26 hour scenario this weekend, if you're in the area you should check it out.

"...even Nedry knew better than to mess with the raptor fences,"
Raptor_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:31 AM #11
lukster14
"CupCake"

lol, my personal favorite is to use nvg, gen one and a small lantern, kinda like the emergency ones.

hang the lantern on a tree in the path, and wait in the bushes till someone sends a squad out to check it out.

perfect ambush
"Lemmaximus Giganticus" #999
I'm "cupcake" the 300 pound ghillie guy
"LOOK OUT, Its Sasquach... oh wait no, its just a fat guy in ghillie" ion 08
"Hmmm angry happy faces... is that supposed to be a contradiction or somthing???"
Proud owner of palmer superstocker PS137, and one of the 1 of 5 "happy" etec2's
and an 08 stars and striped ego
http://www.pbnation.com/feedbackdeta...34418&u=416763 feedback
lukster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM #12
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
well your screwed now cupcake. We all know your plan
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM #13
Herredomme
Spontaneous hate machine

Herredomme helped look for balloons
I played my first night game on Saturday night. I found that my eyes adjusted, but I really couldn't see anybody. A word of advice- If you have a spotlight, like one of those million-candlepower spotlights, bring them. The indimidation factor on those things are HUGE. When I was playing, someone brought one of those, and HOLY CRAP. He and a few others mowed half my team down. I managed to get away, but barely.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM #14
#1Punisher
SAS Wisconsin

I might have to get a few of us to make a road trip out to a night game this next year..... or talk a local field into one

sounds like a lot of fun, and something I want to try out at least once.
Paintballer since 1998
Current markers: UMP A5, ICP B5, Phenom, Pro-Lite, T8
#1Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 PM #15
HitMan.
UNDERTAKERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_E View Post
Oh many tried, and many failed

But if you are sneaky enough to get through all this and get a General Kill, I'd love to shake your hand.
We must meet some day. Im always up to a good challenge. You dont get the callsign "The HitMan" with out a good reason.

If the contract is good I will get in. Been there before and will be again. I have a perfect record still for those games that have hired "The HitMan" General kills are like butter on bread. I've taken out both Generals and XO's in the same game while I was playing the other General. Some may comment if they remember these games. (NJ NAM just to mention 1)

Again night time play is a blast, and we walk the night as if it was day.

Raptor look me up if your ever in our part of town. Looks like we could both go out and have a good time hunting.....
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM #16
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
re:

you guys should hit the end of summer 26 hour game at emr.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:19 PM #17
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
hitman will. He knows he loves EMR
Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 AM #18
HitMan.
UNDERTAKERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushdragon View Post
you guys should hit the end of summer 26 hour game at emr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaintballer15 View Post
hitman will. He knows he loves EMR
Yes sir I do and the night
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM #19
postman1
Reservoir Dogs

Hitman along with the "Under-Dogs" are known for pretty good night play - am i right herc

-- Proudly Sponsored By --
GOG - Luxe - Valken - QuickShot - Virtue - FogDoc - TechT - DeadlyWind - Anthrax
postman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM #20
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member