PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2014, 03:39 AM #1
CA_Tectonics

How to install trigger return magnets in Fusion Elite

Hello Dangerous Power Community,

Now that the Fusion Elite will start shipping out soon, I thought I'd better get this "How To" thread up for those interested in replacing the trigger return spring with repelling magnets. Personally, I like the feel of repelling magnets over a spring so I was ecstatic when I first disassembled the Elite to see how it ticks. I very quickly realized that the simple magnetic return modification I have done on some of my other Dangerous Power markers could easily be done with the Elite. I have done this modification to the stock triggers of my Threshold, one of my OG Fusions, and all three of my F8s. I have also done this to my 7th Element trigger for my Threshold. The basic process is the same for the stock triggers of the Elite, Fusion, F8, Threshold, and G3 / G3-iq markers.

So, without further ado:

First off is a list of what you'll need:

-- Marker grip frame
-- Marker trigger
-- 1/8" rare earth magnets (three of them)
-- Sharpee
-- Krazy glue / super glue / or some sort of epoxy

* - note - As noted in my thread for installing magnets in the F8, some people like to use magnets AND a spring. For the Elite, I have not tried this yet. It may be possible, it may not. I will update this when I remember to check next time I break down the trigger. For the Elite, I think the 3/16" magnets are too big to fit in the sockets of the trigger and frame so I recommend using the 1/8" magnets.

Here are the parts needed:

And here is the location where these magnets will be installed:

To start, make sure the trigger and grip frame are clean and dry.

With the sharpee, mark repelling sides of two magnets - mark just one side of each magnet and that the marked sides repel each other. This will make it less likely to mess up the polarity orientation of the magnets when gluing them in place. Don't worry about marking the 3rd magnet because it will be self-correcting .

Here are a couple of 1/8" magnets marked. IMO, red seems to be easier to see on the surface of the magnets than black:

Glue one magnet onto the topside of the short tongue of the trigger (the part that the stock spring would go on - immediately adjacent to the trigger bearings) with the marked side up (or down - BUT be sure to do the same for the other magnet. Either both marked sides up or both marked sides down). Be sure to center the magnet in the socket of the trigger. Also make sure you use enough glue to hold the magnet securely onto the trigger.

Here is a picture showing where to glue the magnet on the trigger:

And a picture of the magnet glued in place:

Set the trigger aside and let the glue dry. Make sure the glue is fully dried and the magnet securely in place before reassembling the trigger in the marker.

Next, making sure to match the same orientation as on the trigger - (Either both marked sides up or both marked sides down) - glue the other magnet in place on the underside of the little plate screwed onto the frame. On the back side of this little removable plate is a recessed area where one end of the trigger spring sits in. Inside this recessed area is where you want to install the magnet.

Here is a picture of the trigger return spring recessed area on the underside of the removable plate on the Elite trigger frame:

I didn't find it too difficult to be able to place the magnet in place with my fingers. However, if it does seem too small of an area, take a pencil and make a sticky-side-out loop of tape on the eraser tip. Stick the tape on the eraser and touch the taped end to the side of the magnet that will be facing TOWARDS the other magnet - so be sure you have your +/- polarity correct to repel the other magnet. Be sure to center the magnet in the trigger spring recessed area on that plate. Also make sure you use enough glue to hold the magnet securely in place.

Here is a picture of the magnet in place in the grip frame:

Now, there is a pretty good distance, relatively speaking, between just these two magnets so to achieve a better/sharper/faster return, I added a third magnet. The third magnet can be added to either the trigger or the frame, It does not make a difference, IMO. I believe I added mine to the frame location if I remember correctly. It is VERY simple to add this third magnet.....just loosely hold it close to the location where you want it and watch the magnetic laws of nature take over. The loose magnet will orient it's polarity and centering on it's own - so long as the first magnet in the location was installed correctly. The attraction between rare earth magnets is very strong so gluing the third magnet in place really is not necessary.

Set aside and let everything dry. Again, make sure the glue is fully dried and the magnets are securely in place before reassembling the trigger in the marker. If done correctly, the magnets will repel each other. Assemble your marker and let 'er rip. Nothing to it.

Hope this helps out those who like the feel of a magnetic return over a spring. It is a very simple thing to do as you can see above and it is relatively inexpensive to do. Personally, I like the feel of the repelling magnets for a trigger return. The nice thing about this modification on the Elite and how the Elite trigger is laid out is that this can be used in conjunction with the angled breakaway magnet system of the Elite trigger. I was never a fan of the breakaway return system on the Rev-i and FX and one of these days I'll figure out how to do this type of modification for my Rev-i. However, with the Elite's angled breakaway set-up, there is no problem running the stock breakaway and this repelling mod concurrently.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2014, 04:47 AM #2
Insane_Vendetta
Expert Flinger

Shweet! Now that is cool. I get my FE in today.
How do you get your hands on the little magnets by chance? I've done my own gun mods/builds before but never ran across the little rare earth magnets.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 AM #3
CA_Tectonics

You can get the magnets at a few different places. Radio Shack has them sometimes (my local one doesn't have the 1/8" size though), McMaster Carr may have them, and I'm sure you could find them online. I actually got mine from a hobbie shop near by.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:24 PM #4
Darkh2o
DPOTer since 2007

nice work, CA! very easy to follow and the pics help a lot.

I'm not Old, everyone else is "New".
Darkh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 PM #5
Ahura_Mazda

Yeah nice and clean. I prefer magnets to springs in my triggers as well.
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 AM #6
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Very nice... The details are great and the mod is perfect for those of us who prefer this style of trigger feel. Good job on the thread CA_T.

iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote