Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM #1
steidellg

Starting a family thing.

Hello everyone. After taking a few years off from paintball, I am starting all over in the sport. In the past I have had a dye nt10 with 2011 internal parts, bob long ripper intimidator, angel speed (year unknown), an autococker, pmi black maxx, and a spyder imagine. However I am starting from scratch again, only this time, my girlfriend and 10 year old daughter want to play. When I found out they wanted to play I got very excited. I went out to our paintball store and did some purchasing. We also have an 8 yr old son and a 6 year old daughter, and I want them to be able to be in the back yard with us when we are testing things out, so we decided they need masks as well.

So far I have purchased a mask for myself, my girlfriend, and my 10 year old. So I know I have two masks to go. I have also purchased 2 hpa tanks, and a 12 oz co2 for my daughter, as the hpa tanks are too heavy for her for the time being. Im thinking possibly a gun upgrade and hpa tank for her for Christmas if she gets stronger. I have bought her a tippmann cronus, and a chest protector so far as well. For her I still need to purchase 1-2 extra co2 tanks. Possibly a bigger one to help her get used to a bigger weight. Also, gloves, knee pads and elbow pads.

For my girlfriend I figured id let her pick a gun, And she decided on the tippmann gryphon package from walmart for $70. Ill be buying that today. That will give us a mask for our son, and an extra co2 tank for our 10 year old. I also need to purchase A chest protector for her, and she has requested gloves as well.

For myself I purchased a jt e-icon. I plan on upgrading the barrel. As time moves on, when my son is old enough to play, I intend to get myself a proto rail, give my jt to my girlfriend, she will give the gryphon to our daughter, and she will hand down the cronus.

At this time I have a dye rotor, and more viewloaders than I can count. I will upgrade hoppers as I see fit.

Gear purchases in the future include a scuba tank, eventually 2, and a couple more hpa tanks.

Any questions or advice appreciated
steidellg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM #2
Crice8

That is awesome that you are making it a family thing man! We need more of that in the sport! I just got back into playing after not playing for several years and got my wife to start playing as well! I bought her a gryphon to see if she was going to like playing or not and she enjoyed it! So now she has a G5 like me and grillz and her own ninja 50/45(=

As far as tanks for your daughter a Ninja 50/45 is smaller in size and lighter than most co2 tanks. I actually would even suggest it for your girlfriend as it seems to fit my wife much better than my ninja 68/45.
Crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:57 PM #3
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Very cool! My son got into the sport when he was about 8...just shooting dad's guns. Today he has had a couple of different markers and we may be picking him up a Proto Reflex Rail here shortly. It is great spending time doing something you all like and I wish you and your family the best! I know I love playing paintball with my son!
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM #4
nathanc98
Hard Core Casual

Annual Supporting Member
nathanc98 is a Supporting Member
nathanc98 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
nathanc98 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
nathanc98 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
By the sound of it you guys are going out and playing on private land (not an organized field) ?

If so invest a few dollars into a chronograph for the family, since you have little ones playing with you or the potential to be playing, its nice to be at a good speed, I would recommend 250-270fps, that's a good speed with a little less impact/bruising.

My Curators Corner

Old feedback, 35 Positive , 0 Neg
nathanc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 AM #5
AHFellows
no stupid question? haha!

Annual Supporting Member
AHFellows is BST Trusted
AHFellows is playing at Living Legends VII
AHFellows owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AHFellows has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
AHFellows supports Empire
DUDE! this is awesome, I can only hope my family and SO will be as willing and interested in some of my hobbies so we can do things as a family that we all enjoy.for your daughter Id agree with Crice, I use the peanut from Ninja and its light and small probably the best for someone small (most girls I take end up using it as it fits them much better)

Id just say if this becomes a actual family thing in stone, maybe look into small upgrades to their guns to keep them interested. Who knows your daughter is 10, in a few years maybe she will be looking for a team. as for you two younger just keep them active and interested, Markers are expensive of course. but maybe give them enticements to stay interested as the years pass. Such as chores and other things and maybe they get a upgrade piece or get to choose their own mask or something like that. Could kind of keep the flow going.

Just an idea but good on ya man! and as mentioned get a good Chrono, dont need your daughter going into school with a giant bruise on her neck telling the teacher dad shot her haha.

KCCO
AHFellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM #6
steidellg

Time for an update. For my daughter I have mask, gloves, chest protector, 2 co2 tanks, plastic hopper, a pod pack (4+0), pods (100 rnd) and a tippmann cronus.

For my girlfriend I have mask, gloves, 48/3000 hpa tank, plastic hopper, and a tippmann gryphon.

For myself I have a mask, gloves, 48/3000, dye rotor, and my brand new 2011 proto rail.

I also have a jersey for each of us, and pants for me.

We are going to jungle island paintball park the first time with this gear, then I will save up and buy a 68/4500 and a scuba tank, and from then on we will mostly be playing pick up games out in commonly used wood area.
steidellg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM #7
MexiBaller147
The Whitest Mexican Alive

MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MexiBaller147 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Dude!!!! That is amazing! I hope you guys all have a lot of fun!

Se habla Espaņol
MexiBaller147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM #8
phatmatt13

FYI I saw a dude making his kids play and it ruined the sport for them, which is a shame because paintball is awesome. I'm not a parent and I don't want to tell you how to parent but I've seen paintball ruined for kids because their parents made them do it. Just sayin
phatmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM #9
kuyajc2005
Kuya JC

kuyajc2005 is playing at Living Legends VII
kuyajc2005 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kuyajc2005 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I definitely relate to what you are doing. My dad and bro and cousins play a lot as well. My advice would be to make a little more investments in the guns that you purchase. My philosophy has always been to buy used guns especially for others. And buy higher quality well known guns because the resale market is so much better. Your could reasonably get 90-110% of your original investment with the higher end guns.

Personal masks always buy new
Tanks. Can be had used if the remaining hydro time is 3 yrs or more
And pod packs. Definitely used

I would say check out places like yourpbfriend or trademygun for the used guns and equipment.

Above all else have fun, because the family memories will last a lifetime.
kuyajc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 PM #10
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
I'm hoping to be able to do the same once my kids are older. I know my oldest (6.5) is really excited about it. I figure in a couple years I'll get him some splat master stuff to better gauge his interest.

But this sounds awesome man. Keep with it and you'll have life long teammates.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
==========================================
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote