Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM #1
Northstarpb

Everyone knows longer doesnt = better accuracy

So my question is, Does anyone feel more on shot witha 16 than 14 inch barrel. Lets say the bore size is fit to the paint and were just deciding to stick on a 16 inch or a 14 inch or even 12 inch. I think i shoot more on shot with a 16 inch than a 14 inch but thats just me anyone got any info or insights on this?

I play tournie ball not woodsball but all insight would be great.
Northstarpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 PM #2
Igotaevo
Surgeon with a Chainsaw

Annual Supporting Member
Igotaevo plays in the PSP
Igotaevo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Igotaevo supports Empire
I don't think that an extra 2 inches matters in anything other than what stays in the bedroom...But if you are playing speedball, you would probably want a shorter, more compact barrel for wraping bunkers. I personally believe that anything longer than 14 inches is pointless. But others may think otherwise

-Josh
Igotaevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 PM #3
physcowhiteboy
I Love It

personally, i like the 14 in. because teh 16 for me sticks out a little to much. But it's all personal preference, and as far as accuracy goes, i think it's pretty much the same.

edit: ^ i lol'd at teh first sentence
physcowhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 PM #4
Igotaevo
Surgeon with a Chainsaw

Annual Supporting Member
Igotaevo plays in the PSP
Igotaevo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Igotaevo supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by physcowhiteboy View Post
edit: ^ i lol'd at teh first sentence
hahaha, my perverted mind made me do it

-Josh
Igotaevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:36 PM #5
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
In the land of airball, go 14. The only reason I have 16" tips is because I play in the woods and it helps me get my barrel through some of the branches better. There's no difference in the shot between the 14 or 16.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 PM #6
Iram
Part time grammar nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebski View Post
In the land of airball, go 14. The only reason I have 16" tips is because I play in the woods and it helps me get my barrel through some of the branches better. There's no difference in the shot between the 14 or 16.
I do the exact oposite. I use a 14" for airball, but a 12" for woodsball. I'm always afraid I'll bang the tip into a rock, tree, or some other hard object that will damage the barrel.

EDIT: I've also used a 16" for airball. Some guns have the barrel threads farther back, causing you to want a longer barrel.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 PM #7
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
It's all preference. Hell, 3 inch barrels used to be popular.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 PM #8
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotaevo View Post
But if you are playing speedball, you would probably want a shorter, more compact barrel for wraping bunkers. I personally believe that anything longer than 14 inches is pointless. But others may think otherwise

-Josh
IMO, it's quite the opposite, actually. With a longer barrel, you can press yourself further back into a bunker and use the longer barrel to push against the bunker - giving yourself more cover. I prefer a 14" barrel, or even a 12" better though as 16" are just to long and clunky to me.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 PM #9
Gutless

I like the 16-18 inchers, cause I make scenario guns that require longer barrels.
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next 3 minutes, this is your heaven on earth...live it...love it...Paintball 4 life.." Matty Marshal
(quote found by magman687)
Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM #10
QuencyJones16
Cause I don't have a gong

QuencyJones16 helped look for balloons
Longer does not mean more accuracy since the control bore is what really matter.

A longer control bore will give better accuracy up to a point of about 6 inches, then after that you are wasting air.

As for the tip, tips are usually around .710 ID so they do not touch the paintball much.

I use Canon, oh yes.
QuencyJones16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 PM #11
usafpilot90 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotaevo View Post
I don't think that an extra 2 inches matters in anything other than what stays in the bedroom...But if you are playing speedball, you would probably want a shorter, more compact barrel for wraping bunkers. I personally believe that anything longer than 14 inches is pointless. But others may think otherwise

-Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
IMO, it's quite the opposite, actually. With a longer barrel, you can press yourself further back into a bunker and use the longer barrel to push against the bunker - giving yourself more cover. I prefer a 14" barrel, or even a 12" better though as 16" are just to long and clunky to me.
Josh, listen to the man and quit talking if you don't know what you're speaking is truth.
usafpilot90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 PM #12
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

ive noticed a very slight increase in accuracy with a 16". but i really only use my 14" tip. the only time i like to use my 16" tip on my karnivor is because it just looks badass...i would probably use one on a really small gun like my shocker or a pmr just because theres room to spare.
Rebel_816 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM #13
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafpilot90 View Post
Josh, listen to the man and quit talking if you don't know what you're speaking is truth.
Hahaha! I take it Igotaevo is Josh?

Like I said, that's just my opinion, but it's always worked for me. I know that there are pros and cons to it - snake players could benefit from a longer barrel because of the ability to use more cover, but it would get in the way when crawling or too much would be showing when they try to shoot someone. Mid players could definitely use it the way I suggested (I play mid, sometimes front depending on the situation) but sometimes that exposes your back. Backs, well, backs are just a different breed, haha!

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM #14
Fajorey

Nothing what so ever
Fajorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 PM #15
maldon007
I make grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuencyJones16 View Post
Longer does not mean more accuracy since the control bore is what really matter.

A longer control bore will give better accuracy up to a point of about 6 inches, then after that you are wasting air.

As for the tip, tips are usually around .710 ID so they do not touch the paintball much.

I think he is saying, does the longer barel help you AIM... not so much weather it would be more accurate if bolted to a bench & tested.

I agree, especially for newer players & if your not used to a new gun.. a longer barrel helps you aim.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM #16
washington (Banned)
come as you are

its more accurite because it leaves the barrel inches closer to the target but you wil not notice it at all and its easyer to aim with a longer barrel
washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 PM #17
washington (Banned)
come as you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldon007 View Post
I think he is saying, does the longer barel help you AIM... not so much weather it would be more accurate if bolted to a bench & tested.

I agree, especially for newer players & if your not used to a new gun.. a longer barrel helps you aim.
if its held in place you wont notice a difference with a 12/16'' barrel
washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM #18
QuencyJones16
Cause I don't have a gong

QuencyJones16 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldon007 View Post

Yeah I sort of found that out after I posted...oh well my advice can still help someone I guess ha.

I use Canon, oh yes.
QuencyJones16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM #19
maldon007
I make grips

As always.

...one thing I have found, at least for me... the longer barrel helps more at fairly close range, while at longer distances it makes no difference. I figured it was because up close, looking right down the barrel at your target works, but at a distance the barrel is so jacked up, its not really a reference anymore.

Last edited by maldon007 : 07-25-2008 at 10:05 PM.
maldon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 PM #20
fatalorgasm

12 to 14 is all you need 16 is ridiculous and is to the point it slows the ball down. besides that even if it did make your gun more accurate it wouldnt be worth it because 16 is a huge disadvantage. You cannot be crouching and have your gun pointing down. Seriosly it hits the ground...do not buy a 16 inch.

to comment on what you said to begin with..longer doesnt mean more accurate. Thats absolutely right but its besides the point, All guns should be chronoed...all guns should be shooting almost the same distance. Accuracy is more aabout grouping and consistancy. Thats what pisses me of about newbie ballers who turn there guns all the way up and put new springs on there gun claiming its more accurate. yes it is because it shoots straighter...but it hurts people and its illegal.
fatalorgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 PM #21
usafpilot90 (Banned)

You just contradicted yourself... You said that the 16 inch barrels slowed the ball down too much but all guns chrono'd at the same FPS will go the same distance
usafpilot90 is offline   Reply With Quote