raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee1 View Post
he was called cleaned by the first ref when he slid into the snake, but called for a major by the second ref.
An obvious hit is an obvious hit. Getting a ref to call you clean doesn't change that you're playing on with an obvious hit.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:48 AM #44
dlee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
An obvious hit is an obvious hit. Getting a ref to call you clean doesn't change that you're playing on with an obvious hit.

- Chris
and i agree. but when a first referee checks you out and you are called "clean", most/all players will play on. having the second referee calling the "clean" player out is a correct call, but major penalty on top of the elimination is a little confusing.
anyhow, ISU played a great match and it definitely showed in the broadcast. It was a nailbiter until the end, even though i knew the outcome of the match.

the broadcast looks real solid with couple exceptions in minor editing details but i'm being overly critical.
dlee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM #45
sdzell18
Code it and Load it

Annual Supporting Member
sdzell18 works for a Paintball manufacturer
sdzell18 plays in the APPA Pro division
sdzell18 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantwopointone View Post
what was the major for UCI in the first half?
bogus call. player asked for check, ref checked a player called him clean then found a hit about a min later and called a major.

My Feedback +43, -0
sdzell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM #46
sdzell18
Code it and Load it

Annual Supporting Member
sdzell18 works for a Paintball manufacturer
sdzell18 plays in the APPA Pro division
sdzell18 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAHerby View Post
playing on, it was so obvious to the crowd, but from tv you can't really see it

and as far as the picture being shaky, yeah, that was an FSN issue... it wasent like that when I watched it on FCS the other night.
and crowd could not have known cause it was on the wrong side of his body

My Feedback +43, -0
sdzell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 PM #47
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee1 View Post
and i agree. but when a first referee checks you out and you are called "clean", most/all players will play on. having the second referee calling the "clean" player out is a correct call, but major penalty on top of the elimination is a little confusing.
anyhow, ISU played a great match and it definitely showed in the broadcast. It was a nailbiter until the end, even though i knew the outcome of the match.

the broadcast looks real solid with couple exceptions in minor editing details but i'm being overly critical.
Not true at all for an obvious hit.

There's two ways to handle the situation.

The first way is that if you have an obvious hit, then as you suggest, if you get a ref to call you clean and the hit is found later, no penalty is assessed.

That is an invitation to cheating. Cheating players will attempt to hide the hit during a paint check, so that if they ref misses it and calls them clean, they just got a free license to cheat since they won't get penalized for it later.

The second, and proper way, is that if the player has an obvious hit and plays on, it is a major penalty no matter what - even if a ref mistakenly calls in clean in the meantime. That puts the onus on the player - who should have a very good idea where he is hit (it's obvious) - to make sure the ref checks the spot where the player was probably hit and to make it easy for the ref to do so.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM #48
Chewinmatches

Quote:
10.2.6. Players with obvious hits in areas that are not easily verifiable, such as the back, may continue to play, but must immediately call on a teammate who can easily verify whether or not the paintball broke to indicate if the player was eliminated. The teammate must respond immediately. If the hit player is eliminated, they must cease play, signal their elimination and exit the field pursuant to the provisions of Section 8.4.1. Failure to call a teammate for verification or failure of a teammate to immediately respond constitutes playing-on by the hit player.

10.2.6.1. If a teammate is not available for verification, the player must immediately call for a paint check by a field judge. Failure to call for such a paint check immediately will constitute playing-on by the player.
The hit player received the major for was on his leg. As per rule 12.2.6 I would argue a hit on the leg in the snake is a "obvious hit in [an] area that [is] not easily verifiable." This being said rule 10.2.6.1 states the player may ask a ref for a paint check without risk of penalty. Only after the first ref decided the player was clean, did the player continue to participate in the point. True, some players choose to use this to mislead referees during paint checks in hope of being able to stay in the point. However, the hit was found in the same area the player asked the first referee to check which would indicate the player was not trying to mislead the referee. The player acted within the rules, there was no obvious attempt by the player to deceive the referees or wipe. For a ref to clearly establish the player as live, and another to come along later and assess a major on the same hit is very confusing and excessive.

I don't mean to attack the refs with this post, they were hands down the best referees i have ever seen. I simply want to point out the incongruity between the rules and the assessment of the penalty.
Chewinmatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 AM #49
DFAHerby
Xbox Live: Dr Herby

DFAHerby is an NCPA player
DFAHerby is an NCPA National Champion
DFAHerby plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdzell18 View Post
and crowd could not have known cause it was on the wrong side of his body
negative, we all saw the shot from our pit. You can hear us yelling about it too... but regardless, you guys played great, it was a great match, and that stuff is gonna happen.

ISU Paintball Website
DFAHerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 PM #50
kuvs082
midwest's best

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantwopointone View Post
exciting match.had a good laugh when the guy jumped over the gap in the half A late in the 2nd half.
haha yea that was me... would it of been more appropriate for me to walk through the lane of paint that was there then? prolly wouldda had a good laugh then when i took like 6 hits to the shin... but it was only a national championship match, next time ill play wreckless
ILLINOIS STATE X-BALL #82
Sponsored By: Bud Light -- Farmers Insurance -- Sudden Impact
MW

Last edited by kuvs082 : 07-27-2008 at 01:47 PM.
kuvs082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM #51
polarpaxton
WooPig

polarpaxton plays in the PSP
polarpaxton helped look for balloons
polarpaxton is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenawnaw View Post
so i have dierct tv and i get like 50 fsn's, and it took me a 30 minutes to find out which one i could actually get. and the channel is moving chanells, making it impossible to record. now i have to bribe my mother into it.

its the man trying to keep paintball down.
which channel is that?
RIP Razorback Paintball 2003-2009
NCPA AllStars Lifetime member
polarpaxton is offline   Reply With Quote