Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-27-2014, 02:44 PM #1
prone2wander

G.I. Sprorts/VForce HDR Lens, Untinted

I play rec and woodsball and am anxiously awaiting better availability of the Profiler HDR lens for the improved optics. But was curious if there is any chance of them releasing non mirrored versions. On the speedball field the stand out factor doesn't matter but the reflection given off by mirrored lens in woodsball has to be a liability.

I would also like to see goggle makers start listing the light transmission of each lens color since some of us don't have a local store to check them out. This is standard information provided by better sunglass companies.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 PM #2
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Really any of the advantages of them are due to the mirroring. According to the one person who's bothered to test it they dont seem to be polarized. Any of the other benefits could pretty much be gained by wearing an amber or smoke lens from what Ive seen. They arent magic.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:11 AM #3
prone2wander

Actually the mirror coatings on a lens just reduce light transmission and do nothing for optic quality, that comes from the way the lens is constructed and other coatings used on the lens. Polarized lenses are easy to tell, take 2 lenses and hold one horizontal and the other vertical and you shouldn't be able to see through them. They are made with what is similar to window blinds that stop reflected light which causes glare but not straight on light.

Last edited by prone2wander : 09-28-2014 at 11:42 AM.
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 PM #4
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2wander View Post
Actually the mirror coatings on a lens just reduce light transmission and do nothing for optic quality, that comes from the way the lens is constructed and other coatings used on the lens. Polarized lenses are easy to tell, take 2 lenses and hold one horizontal and the other vertical and you shouldn't be able to see through them. They are made with what is similar to window blinds that stop reflected light which causes glare but not straight on light.
Thank you for explaining in depth why I said there are no benefits beyond the mirror coating and tint... The curvature and material of the lenses are the same AFAIK. No information to suggest any difference there at all.

The one person who tested them rotated them while looking through them at an LCD screen and didnt see any change. I havent had two of the lenses in person to test myself.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:31 PM #5
prone2wander

I didn't mean to come off as a smart a*s if that is how it sounded. Just trying to find out the real difference between the HDR lenses and their regular thermals if any. GI Sportz mentions on the video "spherical 3D contouring" but have not clue what that means. Others have said that it was like looking through Oakleys, but again no clue what that means. If it just a looks factor and marketing hype than I will skip it. I do know there is a ton of hype in the sunglasses market and it may have reached the paintball market.

Last edited by prone2wander : 09-28-2014 at 09:36 PM.
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 PM #6
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
No worries, didnt mean to come off as a dick myself.

Its techno babble, buzz words, whatever you want to call it. "Spherical 3d contouring" just means... the lens is curved. But it sounds so HIGH-TECH lol.

If they really ARE polarized that would definitely cut down on glare and haze as you said. But besides the first commercial made for them I haven't seen anything that shows that the actual production models are. The amber/rose/etc. tints that some have help with contrast/focus in various light conditions too. A shame Vforce doesnt sell non-mirrored lenses tinted in those colors. Im sure the market on mirrored lenses in high-end masks is bigger though so it makes sense from a business view.