PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 AM #1
ModanosRobe

ModanosRobe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I4 with mouth open....exposed

Tried the I4 on, overall it fits well. A bit of jaw line showing, but chin and mouth are completely covered. However, if I open my mouth enough, I could definitely take one to the lip. Is this the case with most masks or is this mainly an I4 problem?
ModanosRobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 AM #2
GrimSlayer

GrimSlayer plays in the APPA D4 division
I've only experienced that with the I4. The majority of masks are no where near as small as the I4. I've heard the KLR is pretty small as well but I have no personal experience with it. You should be fine with any other mask and not experience this problem.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 AM #3
ModanosRobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimSlayer View Post
I've only experienced that with the I4. The majority of masks are no where near as small as the I4. I've heard the KLR is pretty small as well but I have no personal experience with it. You should be fine with any other mask and not experience this problem.
I was thinking about the Grill with the new polarized lenses. I have read about durability and quality issues with Grill thermal lenses....I wonder if the same quality issues persist in the new HDR polarized lenses. They are like 50 dollars for each lens so I hope not...
Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM #4
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
The i4 is pretty much the smallest mask out there.

I have Grills and love them. The thermal lens are not as durable as I would like, but none of the small scratches are affecting my vision yet. (lens were bought in March and used 3 times a month since). No experience with the HDRs yet.

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM #5
brink
?

has been a member for 10 years
I dont think it would be possible to get shot in the lip or even the chin for that matter with a proflex/eflex. Unless you were on the top level of a fortress and someone shot up at you. I used my wife's i4's for one game and gave them back to her, they are ridiculously small for my liking.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 PM #6
ModanosRobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink View Post
I dont think it would be possible to get shot in the lip or even the chin for that matter with a proflex/eflex. Unless you were on the top level of a fortress and someone shot up at you. I used my wife's i4's for one game and gave them back to her, they are ridiculously small for my liking.
How durable are the proflex thermals?

Who makes the most durable thermal lenses?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM #7
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModanosRobe View Post
How durable are the proflex thermals?

Who makes the most durable thermal lenses?
My experience with the Spectra lens (found on the proflex) as far as durability was pretty good. However I hated having to take them out or put them in a frame. Never again.

That being said I would base my mask decision on fit first and lens quality second.

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 PM #8
bchu

bchu has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bchu has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
My experience with the Spectra lens (found on the proflex) as far as durability was pretty good. However I hated having to take them out or put them in a frame. Never again.

That being said I would base my mask decision on fit first and lens quality second.
You are now my new hero.
bchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 AM #9
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The only "durability" issue with lenses is mirror coating getting scratched/flaking off.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:58 AM #10
ModanosRobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningPlaydoh View Post
The only "durability" issue with lenses is mirror coating getting scratched/flaking off.
And the surface getting scratched. I use a clear lens for ice hockey that is very hard to scratch and it has never fogged. It cost $60 though...

These paintball lenses seem to scratch with ease
Old 08-16-2014, 06:35 AM #11
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningPlaydoh View Post
I have to disagree. Either from being shot or from cleaning, my Grill lens scratches more than spectra or profits ever did. Plus the Grill lens seems to hate water, it will actually bubble especially on the inner side, with just a spritz. Other lens I have poured a bottle on, or rinsed in the sink with no issue.

eBay FEEDBACK
Old 08-18-2014, 12:53 AM #12
sobersteve323
Budget Baller

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
I have to disagree. Either from being shot or from cleaning, my Grill lens scratches more than spectra or profits ever did. Plus the Grill lens seems to hate water, it will actually bubble especially on the inner side, with just a spritz. Other lens I have poured a bottle on, or rinsed in the sink with no issue.
Agreed. My used twice Grill lens started separating and that was just from rubbing it with wet hands. Couldn't get myself to keep spending money on new lenses when GI hasn't even replied to my submission 2.5 weeks ago (noticing a lot of people not happy with their customer service) so I picked up an Eflex. I've owned Empire and Proto lenses that I washed by dunking in a sink of water and they were fine for over a year.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote