Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 PM #1
iamvrpaintball93

holding paintball gun in car?

is it legal to be holding a paintball gun on lap, not pointing it out windows or anything, w/ barrel condom on, gun turned off, nitro screwed in but empty - because i always get the feeling if a cop stops us in the car on the way to a tourny or practice ill get it confiscated or sumthing - do any of you kno of a law regarding this or sumthing?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 PM #2
-Mad-Skillz-
FuxkEmWeBall

Annual Supporting Member
-Mad-Skillz- supports Team VICIOUS
-Mad-Skillz- posts videos on PbNation
-Mad-Skillz- supports Empire
Why is it in your lap in the first place?
-Mad-Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 PM #3
iamvrpaintball93

because i got a new feedneck so it doesnt fit in the box, and im not gonna ptu it lose in the trunk with 5 other bags of gear that are my teammates' so i usually hold it, most of the time kinda under my shirt so ppl dont see - anyway dont post here if ur not gonna answer my original question or help out with it
Old 08-19-2007, 11:58 PM #4
sflusch
Not a sinner; Saint.

Invest in a gun case. Any store that carries firearms should carry a case. A large pistol case should fit your gun, if you unscrew the barrel and tank.

My Toys
sflusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 PM #5
iamvrpaintball93

good idea, thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM #6
phishlax
420 Dankness

I don't think it's illegal, but just not a good idea. A cop wouldn't like it too much if you got pulled over and he saw it out, might even think it's a real gun and pull his gun out. If you really don't wanna buy a case then just unscrew the tank and barrel
- Cp Micro Drop
- Evil Beavertail
- Ricochet AK Hopper
- 50/3000 HPA Tank w/ Redz Tank Cover
phishlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 PM #7
bnctaj

Depending on location it is illegal to have a gassed up marker on your person or within accessible reach while in a vehicle or in transport of other means.
Bow, rifle, etc. cases are all pretty cheap and will carry about anything you'll ever need at the field if you get a sizeable one. Another recommendation is to get like one of those Sterilite totes to store your soft gear in so you don't get mess all over your car/trunk.
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:13 AM #8
MatAronofsky

its not illegal until you get caught
MatAronofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:19 PM #9
Tom?
*>sp

wow I always ride in my car with my mini with out barrel condom, but no tank so I guess I'm fine.
Tom? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM #10
bb6kid

bb6kid plays in the PSP
bb6kid plays in the APPA D5 division
yeh same here

cops really cant look down into ur car to see it either
Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 AM #11
foyt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb6kid View Post
yeh same here

cops really cant look down into ur car to see it either
Until they walk up to the window ....
foyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 PM #12
cockinmyhand

illegal, if it looks like a gun, its treated like one.

people have been shot for pointing a sparkplug wrench at police.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM #13
Dakkon

Dakkon is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
A couple years ago I was going to play some friday paintball with a bunch of the refs at a field I worked for, I had just gotten my new alias. I went and picked up a co-worker of mine and drove over to pick up another co-worker, the first guy I picked up had the alias on his lap open putting a new CP trigger in it, had no tank or anything on it. I'm standing in front of the second guys house when a cop car pulls up and pulls a gun on us. He makes us lay down with hands out, he waits for backup to arrive. Once a sufficient 5 or 6 cop cars are there, they ask for permission to search my car, being the nice guy that I am I say yes. The cop opens my car door straight into a curb (Lowered mustang). He then picks the alias up off my friend seat, and drops it on the sidewalk. He then opens up my backpack and pours it on the ground. He then pulls 4 more intimidators out of my trunk and puts them right on top of my alias. Radios in saying I had 3 rifles and a pistol (1 with no barrel ). Apparently all I could get out of the police was that an elderly woman had called in my license plate after seeing me put guns in my car. My coworkers parents were standing out front yelling at the cops, the cop threatens to arrest them. Cops say they are going to confiscate my paintball guns, I ask what for and was told... "Brandishing a firearm."

After much more arguing about it, the cops let me go. I didn't end up playing paintball that day

TL;DR: Cops don't like paintball guns in cars.
Dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:32 AM #14
zanea5
killin with a DM

sad

( thats a sad sad story the cops can eat my **** and go to hell of corse they no that a paintball marker isnt a gun, probly having his period or something and just being an ***. An alias or intimidater look nothing like a real fire arm.
zanea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 AM #15
Darkapollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkon View Post
A couple years ago I was going to play some friday paintball with a bunch of the refs at a field I worked for, I had just gotten my new alias. I went and picked up a co-worker of mine and drove over to pick up another co-worker, the first guy I picked up had the alias on his lap open putting a new CP trigger in it, had no tank or anything on it. I'm standing in front of the second guys house when a cop car pulls up and pulls a gun on us. He makes us lay down with hands out, he waits for backup to arrive. Once a sufficient 5 or 6 cop cars are there, they ask for permission to search my car, being the nice guy that I am I say yes. The cop opens my car door straight into a curb (Lowered mustang). He then picks the alias up off my friend seat, and drops it on the sidewalk. He then opens up my backpack and pours it on the ground. He then pulls 4 more intimidators out of my trunk and puts them right on top of my alias. Radios in saying I had 3 rifles and a pistol (1 with no barrel ). Apparently all I could get out of the police was that an elderly woman had called in my license plate after seeing me put guns in my car. My coworkers parents were standing out front yelling at the cops, the cop threatens to arrest them. Cops say they are going to confiscate my paintball guns, I ask what for and was told... "Brandishing a firearm."

After much more arguing about it, the cops let me go. I didn't end up playing paintball that day

TL;DR: Cops don't like paintball guns in cars.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine.
We use to play at a small area behind his house, nice football field sized oval area with some woods and natural bunkers, and a GOOD distance from random passer-byers. It was a really nice field. After a day of playing my buddys were all packed up and heading out when a cop comes rolling in, searches my buddies trunk and threatens to fine everyone $450 for every marker, and $1000 for everyone that had air still attached.. Apparently someone had called the cops.
My buddy talked his way out of everyone getting fined because the path WE took to get down to the field was NOT marked as private property, or if it was, it wasnt clearly visable.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 PM #16
cockinmyhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanea5 View Post
( thats a sad sad story the cops can eat my **** and go to hell of corse they no that a paintball marker isnt a gun, probly having his period or something and just being an ***. An alias or intimidater look nothing like a real fire arm.
be careful what you say. some officers paintball too. its not the officers fault you have a gun in your lap. put it in a backpack or case when transporting it. if it looks like a real gun, its treated like one.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:10 AM #17
CrazyCooter

It maybe a paintball marker but treat is as a gun when you transport it. Put it in a case in the trunk and save yourself alot of hassle.

If you paid for your gun with your money put this in your sig.

Vintage Matrix Owner

Red DM3, CP Trigger, Lucky UN1chip Board, Tadao 5 Chip
CrazyCooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM #18
Dakkon

Dakkon is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanea5 View Post
It doesn't bother me that the cop pulled over, or pulled a gun on me based on the information he had. I just believe he should have treated my stuff with more respect. I really can't stand all the stupid teenagers who walk around and say stuff like "F*** the police" and such. Police are necessary in the world we live in and they do risk their lives at times to help others.
Dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM #19
divvichild
Deadly(+)Accurate

as for the cop saying "brandishing a firearm", thats bull****. A paintball marker is not a firearm. Believe me, ive look it up.

Definition of firearm: Any device that propels an object by explosion

Paintball markers are not firearms.
divvichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 AM #20
cockinmyhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by divvichild View Post
as for the cop saying "brandishing a firearm", thats bull****. A paintball marker is not a firearm. Believe me, ive look it up.

Definition of firearm: Any device that propels an object by explosion

Paintball markers are not firearms.
this can be debated all day. of course they arent "firearms" because they dont project anything by explosion, but they do resemble a firearm so they are treated like one. and you can be charged with carrying a weapon because off the field they can and have been used as weapons.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 PM #21
Always_Dazed
Under Achiever

As long as you don't hold it in a threatening manner, then you will be fine. I don't know every state's laws but I believe it's even legal to carry a real firearm around on your lap, as long as it's not concealed.

What is the point of it being legal to own a firearm if it's illegal to carry it?
If you want to walk down a busy street carrying a huge revolver in your hand, you are within your legal rights to do so, provided the gun is unloaded.

I know that we are not talking about real guns here, but I'm just making the point that if it is legal to carry an unconcealed firearm on you, then it will be legal to carry a de-gassed paintball gun.

The only way you would get into trouble for this would be to present the paintball marker as a real weapon, for the same reasons that a robber with their hand in their pocket can be arrested for armed robbery if they imply that the hand is a gun.
Always_Dazed is offline   Reply With Quote