Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-20-2015, 06:44 PM #1
Skyguns

Question Mask Sanitation?

What cleaning/sanitation agent should be used to clean rental mask by the mass? currently we use the dunk, rinse, dry method at our park. But the deterioration of lenses do to improper agents used to be the primary factor of turning rental mask to target practice here. Suggestions guys? Also any suggestions on avoiding water spots? With the amount of mask we are washing using dozens of microfibers to dry is just unpractical and dry wipe down prior of rent is just too time consuming for the hundreds of mask that with be rented in a single day. Thank you!

-I dont cut my thick poofy doo because incoming rounds just bounce off it unlike the bald mate to my left.
Skyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2015, 07:16 PM #2
robdavy
Field Owner

As far as I can tell, there's no "approved" method. The manufacturers, to cover their ***, will tell you that you have to remove the lens if you're going to use any kind of cleaning product, and then just wipe the lens with a damp cloth.

Kinda impractical.

Ours are washed then dry naturally, then the lenses are hand polished with a microfibre cloth right before it's put out for use. The polish step also allows us to inspect it which has caught a few things before.

Using masks with rubber rather than foam helps a ton too as it's less absorbent of people's body fluids
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:24 PM #3
rjs21

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
rjs21 plays in the MiLP
rjs21 donated to help Peyton Trent
rjs21 plays in the APPA D3 division
rjs21 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
One of the fields at El Paso, TX charged $15 for rental pack and included a rental style mask ($7-10ish at cost) and the player kept the mask. The next time they came back rental was only $10. They didn't make money on the mask and the quality was still impressive for $10, but it saved them from cleaning masks, maintained good sanitation, and kept people coming back. The field did very well and only closed because the lease contract was up and the owner sold the land at a ridiculous profit.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:32 AM #4
robdavy
Field Owner

There's a large outdoor field near us that does that too. They give renters a cheap Gen-X knock off mask. It solves the cleaning problem, but they're pretty terrible.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM #5
BigPumpPlayer

BigPumpPlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I believe cpx does this, do they not? Seems like a clever system
Proud BOB WHITE #52
ANTIDOTE Twister LV1
Black Earth Gtek 160R coming soon!
Texas Sunset Orracle Pump
SSC Gas-Thru Phantom
Perfected AKA Viking
Lapco'd Olive Tipx
Rasta'dResurrection
BigPumpPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:25 PM #6
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
7paintball supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPumpPlayer View Post
I believe cpx does this, do they not? Seems like a clever system
I don't think they do that, could be wrong. I do know they wipe all the masks down after use.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 PM #7
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
I have two problems with the giving away masks system.

First, from an expense point of view, it will never be cheaper to give away masks to each customer compared to cleaning.

Second is the environmental issue. We as humans produce and throw away too much stuff already. This would be wasteful; using energy we don't need to use and filling up landfills unnecessarily.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:22 PM #8
Skyguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdavy View Post
As far as I can tell, there's no "approved" method. The manufacturers, to cover their ***, will tell you that you have to remove the lens if you're going to use any kind of cleaning product, and then just wipe the lens with a damp cloth.

Kinda impractical.

Ours are washed then dry naturally, then the lenses are hand polished with a microfibre cloth right before it's put out for use. The polish step also allows us to inspect it which has caught a few things before.

Using masks with rubber rather than foam helps a ton too as it's less absorbent of people's body fluids
Noted and thank you. What kind of things have been caught when polished? Also, if there isn't really an approved agent or method as you mentioned is there a "acceptable" one? Preventing scratching of lenses is one thing I'm taking steps to prevent. But what would be the best most common option for a lense friendly or most friendly agent?
Skyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 PM #9
BigPumpPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I have two problems with the giving away masks system. First, from an expense point of view, it will never be cheaper to give away masks to each customer compared to cleaning. Second is the environmental issue. We as humans produce and throw away too much stuff already. This would be wasteful; using energy we don't need to use and filling up landfills unnecessarily.
I think if the mask is cheap and entry is raised accordingly for renting it so you can keep it it offers a unique benefit to renters that you get to keep it and motivates you to play again so financially it may be pretty smart.

Environmentally, we have about a million bigger concerns and the masks aren't being thrown away after one use, they are basically sold with the rental equipment so I don't think the environmental issue makes sense to me at lease here.
Proud BOB WHITE #52
ANTIDOTE Twister LV1
SSC Gas-Thru Phantom
Perfected AKA Viking
Lapco'd Olive Tipx
Rasta'dResurrection
Old 07-21-2015, 05:19 PM #10
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
I think if the mask is cheap and entry is raised accordingly for renting it so you can keep it it offers a unique benefit to renters that you get to keep it and motivates you to play again so financially it may be pretty smart.

Environmentally, we have about a million bigger concerns and the masks aren't being thrown away after one use, they are basically sold with the rental equipment so I don't think the environmental issue makes sense to me at lease here.
But more than likely they are being thrown away after one use. As a customer you don't need to hang onto the mask because next time you are going to get a new one again so I'm not sure how it's going to motivate anyone into playing again or more often.

By the way, my replacement single pane lenses cost me over $10, so I'm not sure where guys are getting whole masks for $7-10 as was mentioned in one of the posts. If anyone has access to masks at that price (that aren't absolute crap), please let me know.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:33 PM #11
robdavy
Field Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But more than likely they are being thrown away after one use. As a customer you don't need to hang onto the mask because next time you are going to get a new one again so I'm not sure how it's going to motivate anyone into playing again or more often.

By the way, my replacement single pane lenses cost me over $10, so I'm not sure where guys are getting whole masks for $7-10 as was mentioned in one of the posts. If anyone has access to masks at that price (that aren't absolute crap), please let me know.
They get them from China probably. They literally buy a container full at a time, so like $100,000 at a time.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 PM #12
robdavy
Field Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguns View Post
Noted and thank you. What kind of things have been caught when polished? Also, if there isn't really an approved agent or method as you mentioned is there a "acceptable" one? Preventing scratching of lenses is one thing I'm taking steps to prevent. But what would be the best most common option for a lense friendly or most friendly agent?
You'll notice things like lenses that are scratch beyond acceptable, straps that have become un-connected (we use Tippmann Valours with a quick removal system for lenses), etc

The approved method is what it'll say on the tag that came with them, which will probably be remove lense, wipe with water, and rinse plastic of mask with soapy water.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM #13
BigPumpPlayer

The motivation to come back and not trash the mask is your reduced cost of play next time, you can have a rental with or without the mask and without needing one (as you have yours from last time) it is cheaper
Proud BOB WHITE #52
ANTIDOTE Twister LV1
SSC Gas-Thru Phantom
Perfected AKA Viking
Lapco'd Olive Tipx
Rasta'dResurrection
Old 07-23-2015, 06:17 PM #14
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
The motivation to come back and not trash the mask is your reduced cost of play next time, you can have a rental with or without the mask and without needing one (as you have yours from last time) it is cheaper
And a lot of people are squeamish about using something on their face that has been on other people's faces picking up their sweat.

Basically, you're saying your field doesn't rent masks. You can being your own, or buy one - the basic model might be $5 with a rental. You could then also up-sell if you keep some better masks in stock.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 PM #15
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
We use a microfiber cloth with some water on the lenses, then use a steamer for the foam and rest of the mask.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM #16
robdavy
Field Owner

A steamer? What's that? Photo? I'm curious!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 AM #17
woda

woda owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Wow I never thought of that, My wife has one, uses it for hardwood and tile floors, but I noticed it has a hand held thingy too, like on a vacuum.

Did a quick amazon search for hand held steamers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...d+held+steamer

Does it work well? Any issues with the foam deteriorating or coming off?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM #18
Teraus

plays in the NXL
Teraus plays in the APPA D5 division
Teraus has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Teraus has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by woda View Post
Wow I never thought of that, My wife has one, uses it for hardwood and tile floors, but I noticed it has a hand held thingy too, like on a vacuum.

Did a quick amazon search for hand held steamers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...d+held+steamer

Does it work well? Any issues with the foam deteriorating or coming off?
I'm interested too
Teraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 PM #19
RedRod

RedRod is a founding member
This is the routine I use
Jcloth green dawn soap
mild water hand wash hot water dunk and rinse into a drying rack with fan and dehumidifier foam of mask faces fan heater added in winter
staff inspection during setup for group by putting booked masks out lense wipe as needed
Any issues during inspection mask gets a wristband put around strap with staff name date and issue mask put in repair bins dates to not exceeded 2 week without remedy or managers note ie parts ordered
Mask drying rack is insulated in foam, wire shelving racks, drip pan for base
Fits over 200 goggles
Dry time varies
RedRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:42 PM #20
nabbiker3
stupidly stupid

nabbiker3 helped look for balloons
nabbiker3 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Unsure of how this would effect the mask plastic but I know the goggles we shared in chem class were just standard z87 goggles. Also definitely not the cheapest option but could be a option.http://www.carolina.com/lab-eye-prot...inet/646846.pr
"Originally posted by ride4life: woooo 1000 e-points to nabbiker3!!!!!!!!!!!"
nabbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 PM #21
XtremePainball
Owner - Xtreme Paintball

Our masks dont have many water spots on them but it might due to how we dry them. I built a pvc drying rack that has two shop blowers hooked up to it. It holds about 40 masks and will have them dry in about 10 minutes. I will take a picture asap. my utility sink also has a high pressure water faucet that has a removable handle so i dont have to soak the entire mask.
XtremePainball is offline   Reply With Quote